• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Does it upset you guys that the aluminum iPod nanos always scratched easily? What about the iPod touch? I don't hear people often complain about how easily they scratch as if they expected it not to. I really like the way the iPhone 5 looks and I expect mind to develop a few scratches here and there. It won't bother me. The design and shape of the phone itself looks great. A few minor nicks won't kill that for me. And I'd much rather have a scratch on my back than a shattered rear panel.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Does it upset you guys that the aluminum iPod nanos always scratched easily? What about the iPod touch? I don't hear people often complain about how easily they scratch as if they expected it not to. I really like the way the iPhone 5 looks and I expect mind to develop a few scratches here and there. It won't bother me. The design and shape of the phone itself looks great. A few minor nicks won't kill that for me. And I'd much rather have a scratch on my back than a shattered rear panel.

A scratch is different from paint chipping off.

Kiraly

The phone costs 700 bucks, come the fuck on

The phone costs 700 bucks, come the fuck on

Yes. And now when you drop it on concrete, you get a scuffed corner instead of a smashed rear/front panel. It's a worthy trade off. It's not like all of those plastic phones aren't getting scratched or cracked. Everybody is praising how light the iPhone 5 is. If they used a heavier metal like stainless steel, it would weigh a lot more.

A scratch is different from paint chipping off.

Anodized coloring does not chip off like paint. It is bonded to the metal. The only way to remove it is to remove a layer of the metal. The ones scratched out of the box were likely improperly checked. Perhaps there is a problem in their assembly line that leaves it prone to being scratched during assembly. That is definitely an issue they should fix.

gamma

Yes. And now when you drop it on concrete, you get a scuffed corner instead of a smashed rear/front panel. It's a worthy trade off. It's not like all of those plastic phones aren't getting scratched or cracked. Everybody is praising how light the iPhone 5 is. If they used a heavier metal like stainless steel, it would weigh a lot more.

Dude, they come scuffed and scratched out of the box.

Miker

Gonna post this here because nobody was replying in the stupid questions thread in gaming discussion:

Okay, new iOS user here (switched from Android) with a stupid question:

When you buy a temporarily free app (like Kingdom Rush), does that count as a purchase? If I uninstall it later and decide I want to come back to it, do I have to re-purchase? I ask because I didn't get the whole buy confirmation dialog that I did when buying a paid app.

Dude, they come scuffed and scratched out of the box.

That is a different sort of issue. I agree that anybody who gets a noticeably scratched iPhone 5 should go and get it replaced. They shouldn't get a scratched unit. That goes without saying. I should have clarified this from the start, but what I am talking about is how some people are complaining that the iPhone 5 is more prone to scratches in general than the 4/4s. It's to be expected with anodized aluminum. And I personally would take a scratched aluminum rear panel over a shattered glass rear panel.

Gonna post this here because nobody was replying in the stupid questions thread in gaming discussion:

When you buy a temporarily free app (like Kingdom Rush), does that count as a purchase? If I uninstall it later and decide I want to come back to it, do I have to re-purchase? I ask because I didn't get the whole buy confirmation dialog that I did when buying a paid app.

I've never heard of a "temporarily free" app on iOS.

Dartastic

Found out last night that I can't use Facetime over cellular networks because I'm still on an unlimited data plan. AT&TTTTTTTTT!!!!!! *shakes fist angrily*

railGUN

Banned

If you download an app, it becomes yours, even if you delete it. If you get a normally paid app for free, delete it, and then go to download it again later when it's no longer free, it will still be free to you.

Miker

If you download an app, it becomes yours, even if you delete it. If you get a normally paid app for free, delete it, and then go to download it again later when it's no longer free, it will still be free to you.

Awesome, thanks. Time to "buy" every single free app I see!

If you download it, no matter how (free period or while it's paid), it's yours. Forever. You can redownload it to your heart's content.

EDIT:Beaten! Curse you, refresh button.

Kaladin

Would anyone recommend Wild Blood as a good action RPG?

Also considering King of Fighters 2012.

I kind of want The World Ends With You, but not for $18.

Tabris

Anyone having trouble with iMessage today? Mine keep turning into texts. I wonder if Apple needs to upgrade their servers.

I do have an issue. I cannot get my phone number to be recognized as a "Receive at" on my WiFi iPad. I can on my macbook though. Anyone know how to get that working?

Septimius

Benchmarks are fine. I have no problem with that. But they are obviously presented in Samsung's ad format for a reason.

I didn't even notice that chart was similar to a Samsung ad. I think you're being a little sensitive about this.

Not at all. It's clearly the same format. I don't think this was a nice way to argue against that, either.

Over to The_Inquisitor's point:
I think it's all a part of the game. If you make an ad directly attacking the iPhone, I say it's to be expected that they return the favor. The fact that it looks just like the Samsung ad clearly puts this as a response to the previous attack, and a rather fine response at that. So I think it's all part of the game.

Not at all. It's clearly the same format. I don't think this was a nice way to argue against that, either.

Over to The_Inquisitor's point:
I think it's all a part of the game. If you make an ad directly attacking the iPhone, I say it's to be expected that they return the favor. The fact that it looks just like the Samsung ad clearly puts this as a response to the previous attack, and a rather fine response at that. So I think it's all part of the game.

I'm suspicious that it's not just "fanboys" making these either. I think there is a very real PR war going on right now.

dream

Coco, you would not believe the difficulty I'm having trying to buy one outright. Tell me a joke to make it better.

Septimius

I'm suspicious that it's not just "fanboys" making these either. I think there is a very real PR war going on right now.

It's definitely an organic thing at this point. We saw a lot of "ads" rebuttaling the points in the original ads, and those were clearly not apple. This is clearly not apple, either, but by now, the original is so well known, a well executed response in the same format can ride the previous publicity.

It's a great point, made in the same philosophy of the original one - "here are some points why our phone is objectively better, but we picked out the points subjectively". I don't think Samsung's ad can dent anything about the iPhone, though. And the way they did their previous ad told me they still don't get the popularity of the phone.

I'm very much a geek, and people tell me they're so surprised when they figure I'm an iPhone fan instead of an android fan. "I thought you wanted freedom, and not paying for overpriced stuff" - I do, in a computer. When it comes to phone, I'm very much plug-and-play. iPhone has the apps, iPhone has more than enough spec for me. I don't care if Samsung has better specs, I care how the phone feels and works. And the iPhone does just that. It just works.

So again, I applaud that rebuttal. It's obviously made by defenders of the iPhone, but well made.

SuperPac

Do any stores have extra USB-lightning cables yet?

Online looks like they are several weeks out

Yes. I picked up 2 extras at the apple store today. You can even buy them via the apple store app and set them for in-store pickup. But the store I went to had plenty.

Wilester

Just looking at 24 month contracts for iPhone 5:

O2
Ju1B1.png

Orange
BVCgr.png

Crazy.....

Dany

Banned
iPhone 5 - Dat color saturation

I love it.

Also, I want an armband, how long until stores get them, would it be better/quicker to order online?

Damn it Apple. Now after having the 5 for a couple of days my retina iPad feels slow and heavy.

Can't wait to see what that refresh brings.

Wilester

Yep, you need to go £35+/mth to get the small upfront cost and better contracts, really.

I went £36/mth One Plan on 3 with £80 upfront. Unlimited internet and tethering included.

Ha, I should have been clearer. My point was the gulf between the value of those contracts, essentially unlimited everything on O2 and pretty much fuck all on Orange. For the same upfront cost.

Man, I love this thing but I'm so terrified I'll drop it and crack the screen or something, but it's just too sexy to put in a case. Urgh.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm very much a geek, and people tell me they're so surprised when they figure I'm an iPhone fan instead of an android fan. "I thought you wanted freedom, and not paying for overpriced stuff" - I do, in a computer. When it comes to phone, I'm very much plug-and-play. iPhone has the apps, iPhone has more than enough spec for me. I don't care if Samsung has better specs, I care how the phone feels and works. And the iPhone does just that. It just works.

I pretty much feel the same in terms of computers and phones.

So my LTE is averaging 7MB/sec download and 5MB/sec upload. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm in a smaller and newer Verizon LTE market in south GA so maybe the speed just isn't up to what some people are getting in larger cities like Boston or D.C. I don't know. I know it is much faster than what we got for 3G, but still not what others are getting for LTE.

About what I'm getting here outside of Chicago. That's about the same as what I got with AT&T on the iPhone 4.

So I got my first scuff today. Have absolutely no idea how it happened. When I put it in my center console of my car (with nothing else in it, sitting on a piece of fabric, no chance of sliding), it was fine. When I took it out at the dealership, nice scuff on the top center. Pretty awesome.

My Lightning USB cable also got stuck in my car today. I had to pull it out with a pair of pliers REALLY HARD for it to come out. I have no idea how that can even happen, and I hope the USB port in my car is OK. Needless to say, I'll be getting a dedicated Lightning cable for my car that will never be removed now.

Also, decided to go the bumper route for a case. The phone is almost too lite to go without one. Also considering putting a screen protector over the aluminum on the back (with nothing on the front). For now, just the bumper though.

rhino4evr

Battery life has been really good for me. I've been using it heavily all day (since 7 am) and its now 4;30pm and I'm at 68%

I'm sure it's been said but the LTE is really fast. Faster then my WiFi by at least 5 MB

Getting 15 in LTE, 10 on my Wifi

CrankyJay

Banned
Also, decided to go the bumper route for a case. The phone is almost too lite to go without one. Also considering putting a screen protector over the aluminum on the back (with nothing on the front). For now, just the bumper though.

What a great business idea I had. A service where they take your phone apart and add some weight sinks to make it feel heavier.

Top Bottom