• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Only bad thing for me with my Verizon iPhone 5 is that I'm experiencing the exact same thing I noticed with my parents and their iPhone 4's they bought last Winter. Verizon may have coverage everywhere, but in a lot of places, it's downright weak, and I'm constantly switching between LTE, 3G, and "o", whatever that is (I'm assuming their 2G technology). It's just like, in some places, I can just sit there and watch it go back and forth. If I were Verizon, I would be doing everything I can to make their LTE signal as strong as possible so that this fallback never occurs.

Also, for whatever reason, I lost all of my Contacts made in the last year. Not sure how that happens.

mojiimbo

Um so the battery on this phone sucks. Going down a percentage every minute or so. Even in standby. :(. Anyone else experience this?
A percentage down every minute in standby seems off.

up6fY.png

I've only used the 4G for a tiny bit(30 minutes?) and have Bluetooth off, though.

knicks

So I got the 32GB yesterday and love it. I had LTE right away all day yesterday and all day today until now....I am in the same place....my apartment. It now says 4G instead of LTE. While still fast, without a doubt noticeably slower. Any ideas what is up?

Sean

Banned
I called Apple via phone and they requested that I email a picture of my issue (3-4 specks of dust sealed under the touch screen) to a certain @apple.com address, so I'm assuming they want to notify their engineers. Doesn't seem to be a widespread problem at all, but it's pretty annoying once I noticed it:

Wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to exchange, all the stores are (predictably) sold out so I have to ship it out and wait for a replacement to get shipped to me.

Soi-Fong

Oh yeah and I called everywhere yesterday. No stock for 3 weeks is what everyone said.

Dad reserved his at Best Buy (a 64 gb version), but they said he'll have to wait two weeks. Not really complaining though since it gives him more time to save up and such.

rhino4evr

I wish some of you iPhone 5 owners would post some lowlight photos. :_(

Anxious to see just how nice they look.

I took one of my daughter that turned out really nice. Although I won't post it, sorry.

The camera does much better in low light then any cell camera I've seen

Dartastic

I kinda wonder about my battery as well. I haven't been using too much, but I'm at 55% now, and it's only 2 PM. I unplugged at 100% around 10. So for four hours of use I'm almost at half battery. That's weird. I have been downloading some stuff, but still. Seems off.

5amshift

Banned
I kinda wonder about my battery as well. I haven't been using too much, but I'm at 55% now, and it's only 2 PM. I unplugged at 100% around 10. So for four hours of use I'm almost at half battery. That's weird. I have been downloading some stuff, but still. Seems off.

Your cycle might be messed up if you didn't drain it all the way off when you first got it.

Tobor

Google it, I don't think it's just my phone.

Maybe not, but there is still something seriously wrong with yours. That is not normal battery life for the iPhone 5. My phone has been off the charger for 20 minutes now in standby and still shows 100%.

If you are really losing a percent every minute or so in standby as you claim, you need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar and get your phone replaced.

Maybe not, but there is still something seriously wrong with yours. That is not normal battery life for the iPhone 5. My phone has been off the charger for 20 minutes now in standby and still shows 100%.

If you are really losing a percent every minute or so in standby as you claim, you need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar and get your phone replaced.

Ok so maybe I exaggerated a little. I was at 100% around 7:00am
I am at 59% with just standby and very very moderate use. 6hours

Septimius

No, the batteries are lithium ion polymer, so you should actually refrain from draining them

I'm sure the batteries aren't near being drained when the phone turns off, though. Batteries in smart-phones seem to me to start working better after some days. I'm half-way convinced it's the fact that we're so excited to have a new phone that we don't realise how much we use it, and how much the screen is on (and the screen being on drains a lot of battery). Probably mostly that we stop playing so much with it that it seems to last longer.

LTE in my area is about what I expected (going by what my Android-using friends would tell me): disappointing. It's really why I never felt compelled to leave iOS and switch to other phones.

Honestly I'd trade LTE for better battery life. It's not bad, but I'd love it if the battery lasted longer.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Battery life seems much better than my 4S.

Screen at 50% brightness (auto adjust on)
Wifi on
LTE Data
Bluetooth off
All location services on
Push email and pull every hour

Been off the charger since about 8am, and I've been running it pretty hard. Downloaded some apps, used some GPS, checked email, texted, and browsing the Internet heavily (with a Few videos thrown in) It's now a bit after 5pm, but I still have 43% battery.

It's not ZOMG AMAZING by any means, but its definitely solid.

sikkinixx

People seen to have caught on here in Canada. Huge line up at Super Store's little mobile kiosk since they apparently have stock. I woul have never thought to look there for one.

KHarvey16

I have 5 bars :-/

That's just reception strength, and in the end I'm not even sure if that's voice and/or data reception strength. You might be able to make calls just fine but data is a no go. Also with full strength it's possible that bandwidth is the issue.

sorry for a stupid question.

Is the iphone5 something you don't want to leave charging after 100%? I took it out last night at 100% before I went to sleep, down to 30% now after like 12 hours standby, 5 hours use.

Just curious if I can leave it charging all night long or is that bad for the battery (like some phones in the past).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
sorry for a stupid question.

Is the iphone5 something you don't want to leave charging after 100%? I took it out last night at 100% before I went to sleep, down to 30% now after like 12 hours standby, 5 hours use.

Just curious if I can leave it charging all night long or is that bad for the battery (like some phones in the past).

Leave it charging all night long.

Ha, I should have been clearer. My point was the gulf between the value of those contracts, essentially unlimited everything on O2 and pretty much fuck all on Orange. For the same upfront cost.

I think its pretty stupid myself. I cant possibly use 500mins so whats the point in offering me unlimited?

300mins, 1000 texts and unlimited net would do me but its either "so low its pointless" or "MAX EVERYTHING" and no middle ground :|

Top Bottom