• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So I got the 32GB yesterday and love it. I had LTE right away all day yesterday and all day today until now....I am in the same place....my apartment. It now says 4G instead of LTE. While still fast, without a doubt noticeably slower. Any ideas what is up?

Everyone else on your network has it now too. It's probably the massive influx of new iPhone 5s that are slowing down LTE speeds

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Battery life has been really good for me. I've been using it heavily all day (since 7 am) and its now 4;30pm and I'm at 68%

I'm sure it's been said but the LTE is really fast. Faster then my WiFi by at least 5 MB

Getting 15 in LTE, 10 on my Wifi

That's still well below average on both ends. Where do you live?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yes.

The data speeds are very impressive. I'm in Washington DC and get these speeds, which vary greatly:

B3ABF1AE-0554-4B87-AC43-74BAE4DDF9D3-1703-0000009A90087F59_zps39097a11.jpg

Sheeeeit, faster than my landline.

rhino4evr

That's still well below average on both ends. Where do you live?

South Florida...and if you think that's bad, you've have no idea what bad is. My in laws get a MAX of 6 where they live. I typically get around 10-12 on a steady basis

I have no problems with my download/streaming speeds.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dumb decision in the design = design flaw.

It shouldn't scuff this easily though as my experience with other anodized metal parts has been.

I haven't seen the iPhone 5, but is the anodized metal on it really that poor? I have a foldable clipboard with anodized metal and that thing has been thrown around, placed in pockets filled with all kinds of metal instruments, and it doesn't have one scratch on it. Maybe Apple needs a better provider of the casing.

Now the battery sucks, wtf? I thought everyone was praising the battery before

some users are finding the battery goes really quick, it's either an iOS 6 bug or something is constantly active in the background somehow, might be to do with the network perhaps.

GPS on my android takes battery when idle, probably best to turn that off first until you need it for maps.

dyls

I'm posting this from the LA Coliseum, with about 75,000 people. During halftime. AT&T LTE has been a champ, despite the apparent lack of spectrum.

So as long as no one else ever buys a iPhone 5 in this town, I'll be happy.

Just looking at 24 month contracts for iPhone 5:

O2
Ju1B1.png

Orange
BVCgr.png

Crazy.....

I am on O2 and glad about the price, however for iphone tethering you have to pay extra I think, it might be free with orange, O2 seem to like their hidden costs on new phones.

I have been on a £15 contract with my samsung and been real happy with it, but I also pay for my internet on top so any saving I thought I would have is gone :(

phinious

anyone else buy theirs through sprint? I purchased the applecare+ and was billed for it, but it did not show up with my phone. When I check apple's website it says I dont have it. I want to make sure my phone is covered.

andycapps

I wish some of you iPhone 5 owners would post some lowlight photos. :_(

Anxious to see just how nice they look.

The low light photos have good lighting, but they get really noisy. It's still impressive of how low the light can be. I took some cool pictures today when the family and I went to pick some apples at a local apple farm. Click to enlargen some. Not full res uploads obviously.

Does anyone have the $15 per month Best Buy insurance where they apparently will replace the phone for any reason?
Is it rip off or is there something else I should be using?
BTW, if it makes a difference I do not have an Apple Store in town.

Zeth

Correct me if I'm wrong but iOS6 is the first time you could update apps without re-entering your password, right?

Yep, it's great. Love the way updating/downloading is handled now. iOS 7 automatic background updates pretty please?

Since you can't really "massage" the glass on the iPhone, solid colors on the screen can help. try playing this video a few times http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oj9U-Ux6QHY

There is an app on cydia that can help more.
No joy, must be a dead one. But it's so small that even when I'm looking for it it takes me a few moments to see it. I think I'm going to take this as an opportunity for personal growth and not be bothered by it. Unless of course the phone gets scuffed and then it's straight to the Genius Bar!

Since I had to pay full price for the phone this time I got AppleCare+. It's nice that it's two years because if I do decide to sell it in a year for the 5S or whatever the extra year uber warranty will add nicely to the resale value.

AEREC

you can probably find one in a store and cancel the pre-order if you're less lazy than me

If I found a 64gb in an AT&T store would they let me switch phones? Instead of waiting another 2 weeks for the same model?

I preordered in an AT&T store and started a family plan and got my wife an iPhone 4, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to straight up cancel my first order.

Husker86

Does anyone have the $15 per month Best Buy insurance where they apparently will replace the phone for any reason?
Is it rip off or is there something else I should be using?
BTW, if it makes a difference I do not have an Apple Store in town.

I don't have it but my friend has used it twice this year on his iPhone. It's actually probably the best plan out there as there is no deductible (however won't cover lost/stolen like carrier insurance does). The only downside is you have to wait a couple/few days.

bounchfx

Just tried to get mine from the apple store. Switching from AT&T to Sprint.

Everything goes peachy until the end, when apparently Sprint wants a $500 deposit that I won't see again for a year. What the hell? Apparently they pulled up my credit and decided that... except less than a month ago my credit was over 750.

I took out a car loan when buying my car a little ago instead of paying it cash because I was told it would help my credit. The fuck? It's the only change I can think of that might affect it, but why the hell would it get WORSE?

so I call AT&T thinking maybe I can just upgrade, if they're able to get signal inside my house (I don't get shit ever since I moved), and they want me to buy a $200 device to even get signal and use their service.

This is the most frustrating shit right now. Gonna call the credit bureau and financer monday and see if I can get that sprint price down, this whole situation is crazy.

Dartastic

Just tried to get mine from the apple store. Switching from AT&T to Sprint.

Everything goes peachy until the end, when apparently Sprint wants a $500 deposit that I won't see again for a year. What the hell? Apparently they pulled up my credit and decided that... except less than a month ago my credit was over 750.

I took out a car loan when buying my car a little ago instead of paying it cash because I was told it would help my credit. The fuck? It's the only change I can think of that might affect it, but why the hell would it get WORSE?

so I call AT&T thinking maybe I can just upgrade, if they're able to get signal inside my house (I don't get shit ever since I moved), and they want me to buy a $200 device to even get signal and use their service.

This is the most frustrating shit right now. Gonna call the credit bureau and financer monday and see if I can get that sprint price down, this whole situation is crazy.
They don't like the state of your beard. Grow it out.

Top Bottom