• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

0OoO0

Hi

Haven't been keeping up with this thread. Was wondering what is neogaf's the general consensus of the iphone 5 now that it is out? Also what colour is better? black or white?

I just wanted to say every time I pick up my phone I can't get over how light it is. Between that and how thin it is, just incredibly comfortable to use on handed. Back look gorgeous with the contrast as it seemed from online photos. Upgraded from 4 so I've never had Siri, enjoying grilling her. She's still extremely limited but still a neat feature. Can't wait until we one day get an upgrade allowing her to assist with flight information. She's in my dog house right now for giving the Eagles the edge this weekend. Stupid false vegas odds!

andycapps

Someone asked for some low-light pictures, just took this one. There's basically only the one light you see in the picture on. Everything else is dim and on the far side of the room.

85389F7F-A460-4873-9327-A08E05015478-2684-000000D9568E5470_zps7ac35636.jpg

Not too bad with the flash.

LCfiner

try tapping on the dog when taking the pic with the flash off. it should adjust the lighting so the dog's features are more visible (assuming you want that). I'm curious to see how good a job it can do.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried to get mine from the apple store. Switching from AT&T to Sprint.

Everything goes peachy until the end, when apparently Sprint wants a $500 deposit that I won't see again for a year. What the hell? Apparently they pulled up my credit and decided that... except less than a month ago my credit was over 750.

I took out a car loan when buying my car a little ago instead of paying it cash because I was told it would help my credit. The fuck? It's the only change I can think of that might affect it, but why the hell would it get WORSE?

so I call AT&T thinking maybe I can just upgrade, if they're able to get signal inside my house (I don't get shit ever since I moved), and they want me to buy a $200 device to even get signal and use their service.

This is the most frustrating shit right now. Gonna call the credit bureau and financer monday and see if I can get that sprint price down, this whole situation is crazy.
Some people have gotten the Ethernet/cell device for free from them. Tell them you are leaving the service tomorrow because you are fed up with the re workin since you moved.

Koyuga

So uh..

I've been seeing some lines across the bottom of my screen briefly, for like a few seconds. I usually notice it when I have the keyboard up.

Should I be worried? Is my day old iPhone 5 gonna die? D:

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Here in Saudi, a few places are charging upwards of $1350 US for the 16GB iPhone 5. FUCK THAT SHIT. I can't begin to imagine what they're charging for the 64GB model. Of course these aren't via our official telecoms who will be getting the iPhone 5 in December but rather local merchants who order in bulk (via multiple credit cards) from the UK Apple online store. Shit's crazy.

So uh..

I've been seeing some lines across the bottom of my screen briefly, for like a few seconds. I usually notice it when I have the keyboard up.

I had some weird screen glitching too once with the keyboard up.

Meh it will either get patched or covered under warranty if it turns out GPU related.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just snapped three very quick pictures for you guys asking.

All lights in my room are off, it's dark outside, and it would be absolutely pitch black if not for my 24" Dell Monitor going and some other status lights throughout the room.

First picture is off to the side of said monitor, with flash off.

Second picture is off to the side of the monitor, but with flash on.

Last pictures is of my lit keyboard directly in front of the monitor.

8013866292_cb21308995_z.jpg

8013861745_65dc10fc75_z.jpg

8013864679_6b2d2d0e68_z.jpg

Pictures don't look great; but this is in a near no-light situation; not your average "low light" scenery.

Al-ibn Kermit

[bounchfx;42434094]Just tried to get mine from the apple store. Switching from AT&T to Sprint.

Everything goes peachy until the end, when apparently Sprint wants a $500 deposit that I won't see again for a year. What the hell? Apparently they pulled up my credit and decided that... except less than a month ago my credit was over 750.

I took out a car loan when buying my car a little ago instead of paying it cash because I was told it would help my credit. The fuck? It's the only change I can think of that might affect it, but why the hell would it get WORSE?

so I call AT&T thinking maybe I can just upgrade, if they're able to get signal inside my house (I don't get shit ever since I moved), and they want me to buy a $200 device to even get signal and use their service.

This is the most frustrating shit right now. Gonna call the credit bureau and financer monday and see if I can get that sprint price down, this whole situation is crazy.[/QUOTE]
Create a credit karma.com account and see what it is. It's free to create an account.

Raw64life

After 24 hours with this phone I'm definitely satisfied with it. Biggest thing for me has been how fast it is. I didn't do a whole lot of research on this phone as I was pretty much resigned to getting it no matter what and I wasn't even aware that I was getting bumped up to 4G at no extra charge. The difference is huge.

The 4 now feels like a 10 pound brick in my hand after holding the 5 for a while. The battery life does seem better but I haven't used 4G or the maps extensively enough to tell for sure. I also didn't think anything of the headphone jack being moved to the bottom but after using it it's much more convenient, although I've instinctively slammed the headphone jack into the top of the phone a couple of times so far. Luckily I didn't scratch it. I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy a case but the more I read about the scruffing the harder it's becoming to resist.

Pre-ordered a White 64gb for my GF the day after they went up... not in the middle of the night.. arrived yesterday morning.

Walked into an AT&T store this afternoon (Northgate Mall in Seattle) expecting to order one and get it in a few weeks for my line.. they had 64gb Black 5's in stock.. the model I was after.

Funny because I wouldn't have cared if I had to wait for either phone but got them both way before I thought I would, lol.

LTE is pretty decent near Northgate at least:

frtoL.png

So uh..

I've noticed this as well, I thought I was crazy.

the3ye

so the Retail Stores in Canada don't want to sell unlocked iPhones 5...
why kind of marketing is that?
Don't advertise something over the internet with "Buy online and get free shipping.
Or visit your favourite Apple Retail Store." when you actually don't do that...
I'm paying $900, and they don't want it...lol

noah111

Still Alive
****** hell, why did you post that..., do i need to take my phone to the store, or is this normal?
Are you guys sure it's not just your sim tray? Or the sim itself? My iPhone 4 still rattles and I found out it's because of the tray mechanism being bent or something.

JDeluis

So I tested out my iPhone 5 in my 2012 Honda Civic to see if everything would work correctly. It connects with the usb cable, so no need for the adapter. Unfortunately it does not work. It will show that is connected but will not let me access the menu through car stereo or the iPhone. In one attempt it did start playing a song, but did not let me skip the song or show the song information.

It's disappointing that it does not work, but I usually have an iPod connected at all times so I have no need to connect my iPhone to listen to music.

sikkinixx

Don't advertise something over the internet with "Buy online and get free shipping.

Next week they will start apparently. Trying to fend of scalpers, but they also get more money when you buy carrier locked phones so yeah... kinda lame I know. Oh well, as of Monday you should be able to get one.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Honestly don't see much of a difference from my old 4S's camera:

8014013180_32b44cefb6_z.jpg

8014011413_e4f08b3949_z.jpg

Not that it's bad by any means - it's certainly more than serviceable; but I'd hate to rely on it in anything less than a pinch!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I hadn't read the macrumors story "oh shit people are getting iPhones sent early!" now I can't stop refreshing my order
My original order was ships in "two weeks" with delivery Oct. 5

It shipped last night due to me by the 27th now :D

Good luck!

jcm

I don't have a 4s to compare, but the 5's camera is much, much better in low light than the ipad 3. It's very noisy, of course, but the difference is substantial. ipad used iso 800, iphone iso 3200. Both are f/2.4 1/15 shutter.

iphone 5 with flash
Bk31i.jpg

ipad 3
zH1gE.jpg

iphone 5
W5YC1.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I got the 32GB yesterday and love it. I had LTE right away all day yesterday and all day today until now....I am in the same place....my apartment. It now says 4G instead of LTE. While still fast, without a doubt noticeably slower. Any ideas what is up?

Haha, I'm sorry, but I can't help but to laugh at this. LTE is 4G (well, it doesn't actually satisy the requirements of the original 4G standard, but whatever), so it makes no sense for the phone to show you "4G" as something slower than "LTE". Whatever Apple is calling 4G is not 4G. It's probably really HSPA+, which is a 3G technology. Is this the same thing they got in trouble for in some countries (claiming that something that's not 4G is 4G)? I also read that some US carriers like to participate in this deception however, so maybe it's not all on Apple. Still, it's ridiculous and a lie.

Anyone elses earpods sound weird when plugged into a macbook pro? They sound perfect on my iphone, but when plugged in to my macbook pro, the right sounds louder then the left. Happens with my brothers earpods too, tried it on his own mac too. =\

Terrell

I'm pretty sure they are carrier unlocked devices, they merely need to be activated on a carrier before you leave the store as part of an anti-scalping measure. This does not make them a locked device, merely pre-activated.

Unless something has changed that I don't know about?

jcm

Haha, I'm sorry, but I can't help but to laugh at this. LTE is 4G (well, it doesn't actually satisy the requirements of the original 4G standard, but whatever), so it makes no sense for the phone to show you "4G" as something slower than "LTE". Whatever Apple is calling 4G is not 4G. It's probably really HSPA+, which is a 3G technology. Is this the same thing they got in trouble for in some countries (claiming that something that's not 4G is 4G)? I also read that some US carriers like to participate in this deception however, so maybe it's not all on Apple. Still, it's ridiculous and a lie.

Actually, ITU classifies HSPA+ as 4G. So your complaint belongs with them, not the carriers or Apple.

I considered this but we both had an iphone previously and it didn't do this before. She had an old ass 3G I think, while I had a 4. Is this a new thing with the 5? Does it still draw from the text plan? or data plan?
3G couldn't use iMessage as it required iOS 5. It's data, not texts. You're going through Apple when using it.

Blame AT&T for getting Apple to give in to this.

multivac

So uh..

Add me to the list of people who are seeing this :(

LaneDS

Have there been any scratch tests done on a white 5 yet? After one day of gentle use I noticed a small scuff on one of the edges. I used my 4 for 2+ years caseless without issue (looks nearly new still) and a 3 for 2 years before that (that one looked more beat up, but was still fine). After one day my black 5 has a noticeable mark on it, and I'm in the "that's unacceptable" camp so I'm not sure if returning for a white 5 would be best, or just sitting out the 5 entirely for now.

the3ye

I'm pretty sure they are carrier unlocked devices, they merely need to be activated on a carrier before you leave the store as part of an anti-scalping measure. This does not make them a locked device, merely pre-activated.

Unless something has changed that I don't know about?
AuCVN.png

I want an unlocked phone without standing in a line for a 2/3 year contract...

Top Bottom