• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

So uh..

I've been seeing some lines across the bottom of my screen briefly, for like a few seconds. I usually notice it when I have the keyboard up.

Should I be worried? Is my day old iPhone 5 gonna die? D:

Saw that twice yesterday, I was worried my screen was defective, also when the keyboard came up. But haven't noticed at all day 1 of use

Cloudy

Banned
I've been seeing some lines across the bottom of my screen briefly, for like a few seconds. I usually notice it when I have the keyboard up.

I saw those today while an app was loading something

LaneDS

So uh..

Got that in the App Store yesterday, but not at all today. Tried to take a video, and by the time I went to record it the pop up for passwords for random e-mail addresses popped up.

My experience with the 4 to the 5 is nowhere near as exciting (or polished) as the jump from the 3 to the 4 was, unfortunately.

blitz64

Oh, now I see why my battery was dying really fast; I had my email set to "push".

I have 'push' set for my 2 gmail accounts with no isssues at all on iphone5. using push with 4s for 1 year, no issues as well.

battery for iphone 5 is about the same as the 4s, which is good.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Agreed - I used Push for five email accounts on my 4S, and I'd usually hit the 20% warning around 6pm after average workday use (after being unplugged since about 6am).

I'm Pushing the same five accounts on my iPhone 5, and the battery seems a tad bit better - I'm gonna wager about a ~5-10% increase in life; but I'm still impressed considering the faster internals, bigger screen, and LTE.

(That said, I cycle my battery about once every three months; but no doubt the total capacity deteriorates the longer you have the phone).

blitz64

wow, used almost 2gb in 2 days with iphone5. thank god i have unlimited data on verizon.
wonder if they are going to throttle soon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Actually, ITU classifies HSPA+ as 4G. So your complaint belongs with them, not the carriers or Apple.

But do any other phones which cannot do LTE actually claim to be 4G phones, and show "4G" when connected to an HSPA+ network? Internationally I'm pretty confident they don't (instead, they show "H" or something like that), but maybe the situation is different in the US.

Blame AT&T for getting Apple to give in to this.

Yeah, I thought it might be a US carrier's fault.

so how are people liking the EarPods? I've been using them for a while now and they're so comfortable

They're MUCH better than the old white standard apple earbuds. People expecting High Tier audio from them should be slapped. For what they are, they're solid. I'll use em around the house to listen to music so I don't put extra wear on my real headphones that I use for work everyday.

LordCanti

oh woops

idk, for something I use at work and on the bus they're great for me, but I could see why people wouldnt like them for gaming or listening to music seriously (and I'm listening to podcasts half the time anyway)

The sound quality is fine, but they literally will not stay in my ears if I move at all. Laying down to take a phone call I ended up having to actually push them into my ears by hand to keep them from sliding out.

jcm

But do any other phones which cannot do LTE actually claim to be 4G phones, and show "4G" when connected to an HSPA+ network? Internationally I'm pretty confident they don't (instead, they show "H" or something like that), but maybe the situation is different in the US.

Yes, Tmobile calls their hspa+ 4g. It's frequently the same or faster than Verizon's lte. The whole thing is bullshit, anyway, because neither one is fast enough to fit the original definition of 4g. 4g was supposed to be gigabit. None of lte, WiMAX, or hspa are going to hit that.

Yea, HSPA+ is in no way shape or form 4G. Problem is technically none of em are "true" 4G so the term is relegated to a marketing gimmick.

To me it signifies a significant real world data speed increase that is relatively consistent when connected to that network. HSPA+ is on par with great 3G speeds. Definitely not the 10mb+ I see LTE pull.

Juice

I took my iPhone 5 up 10,000 feet in Colorado today and took some beautiful panorama shots.

This thing is WAY WAY WAY better than the 4S. I've owned every model but the 3G and this is the best upgrade yet.

Anybody know if the Apple stores are getting daily shipments? I caved in finally and placed my order for one online, but it isn't scheduled to arrive until between October 24-30. Just wondering if I'd have better luck checking the stores occasionally before then and just cancelling my online order. Stopped by a Walmart today before I went out to dinner and had no luck there.

Juice

By the way, the EarPods are really uncomfortable in my left ear -- any reason why that might be? Am I just putting them in wrong?

I find the vanilla old buds to be perfectly comfortable and fine.

Fjordson

Anybody know if the Apple stores are getting daily shipments? I caved in finally and placed my order for one online, but it isn't scheduled to arrive until between October 24-30. Just wondering if I'd have better luck checking the stores occasionally before then and just cancelling my online order. Stopped by a Walmart today before I went out to dinner and had no luck there.
Yeah, I'm wondering this as well. Never had an upgrade right at the launch of a new model like I do this time. Not sure if I should just order one from Apple.com and wait out the 3-4 weeks, or if Apple/AT&T stores get lots of restocks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Aaaaaaaaaaand before I go to bed on night two, I've finally got my phone just the way I want it.

Settings all set up, apps all installed, wallpapers made, and battery about ready to get cycled. The only thing I don't have set up is my music, because I change a ~1gig playlist about once a week.

Some Gravity Rush love:

8014274888_444d41cd18_c.jpg

My "main" page (Screen #1) with the items I reference most.

8014277210_fe59a39152_c.jpg

And before even doing a "true" cycle, I'm pretty happy with battery life. It's not spectacular, but it's solid, and shouldn't be a problem so long as I pick up a car charger.

50% brightness
Location Services on
Push 5 email accounts, fetch every hour
Wifi on (only connects at my house and work)
LTE data on (everywhere else)
Bluetooth off

8014276932_c8361db37f_c.jpg

Loving this phone.

I camped out for the first iPhone, and have since upgraded to a 3GS -> 4S -> 5.

Every phone has brought quite a few monumental changes. The biggest thing going to the 3GS was the internet speed; coming from EDGE to 3G was huge. Going to the 4S, it was obviously the screen that blew me away - I can't even look at a 3GS equivalent screen, anymore. With the 5, I figured it would either be the taller screen or the faster internals that would get me; but it's really a combination of those said internals mixed with LTE. This phone flies. Period. I'm never waiting on it.

Internet browsing certainly isn't as efficient as the desktop experience (nor as customizable); but for mobile internet, I really can't imagine it being any faster. The LTE loads pages like NeoGaf, Macrumors, CheapAssGamer, HardForum, The Verge, Engadget, etc nearly instantly. A split second to ping the site, and then it loads in the blink of an eye.

The taller screen ... I'm still iffy about. I was actually quite content with the 3.5" on the other devices. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "big screen hater." Heck, I like that Android gives choice - the S3 has a gorgeous display, and the size "seems" like it would be nice. But honestly, I just don't know after playing with the 5. It's not BAD by any means. But I have big hands, and it really was nice being able to easily reach the top left of the screen with my thumb. It's still do-able, and not difficult per se', but it's more challenging than before - if only slightly. I think I'm most shocked that Apple isn't really utilizing the extra space for anything. I mean... nearly nothing at all. The only plus I've seen of the taller screen is seeing more emails at once, and the calendar app is much more usable in portrait mode. All that said, the screen is gorgeous. The viewing angles are spectacular, and the pixel density is as amazing as ever. I personally feel it's a step above the 4S or the GSIII - but I think the Vita's OLED (which I find to be superior to the Galaxy's) is the best looking screen on the market - it just needs a higher PPI. In any case, though, there's no way the 5's screen could be disappointing.

Build quality is great. It's light - but not as light as I was expecting after hearing all the early impressions. It still feels solid - and definitely not cheap. But the 4S's weight never bothered me in the slightest. I loved the glass of the 4, and it's hard to top it. That said, somehow the 5 in black really does look more modern. I don't know why; but it does. It just has that sci-fi stealth bomber look to it. It's gorgeous, if lacking in any risk.

I initially felt I'd like the headphone port on the bottom - considering the whole "you put your phone in your pocket upside down argument"; but I didn't consider something - it gets in the way when typing/texting. It's hard to get comfortable around a headphone cable sticking out and pressing against just one of your hands. I wish it was on top.

Home button feels way better than the 4S's or 3GS's. Has a much more tactile click.

Voice quality seems pretty similar to the 4S, but there is a small improvement. Nothing amazing, though. It is *louder*, though, which I really appreciate. It's much easier to hear when in my car with the AC on high.

All-in-all; about what I was expecting. It's an evolutionary update; with pretty much no surprises. It's all just more of the same, but better (save for the maps, which are extremely hit or miss. I don't have too much to comment on, but I will say even in my small area near Kansas City, it definitely is a downgrade from Google... though turn-by-turn works really well). Honestly, though, I don't know what I want at this point. More uniform color/design choices in the apps, and better utilization of the taller screen are about the only things bothering me at this point. There's nothing on Android I'm jealous of; and while the sleek design and text-orientation of Windows Phone is extremely sleek, I don't know if I'd necessarily call it more usable or intuitive.

I'm not saying that's an excuse - I'm not getting paid the big bucks to innovate a company's product. But I am ready for a little (or preferably big) something out of Apple for the next iOS or hardware revision. I don't know what; but I'm hopeful it comes.

The big takeaway for me, for the 5, is it's just so freaking fast and sleek. There are some quirks, but for the power user it'd be hard to really fault much of anything - and you definitely won't be waiting on it. And for the average consumer, it's damn near perfection at this point.

SuperPac

So I tested out my iPhone 5 in my 2012 Honda Civic to see if everything would work correctly. It connects with the usb cable, so no need for the adapter. Unfortunately it does not work. It will show that is connected but will not let me access the menu through car stereo or the iPhone. In one attempt it did start playing a song, but did not let me skip the song or show the song information.

It's disappointing that it does not work, but I usually have an iPod connected at all times so I have no need to connect my iPhone to listen to music.

It works with my 2009 Civic. Actually at first I thought it didn't, because I use iTunes Match and hadn't actually downloaded any music yet when I tried it. So I thought I'd listen to a podcast through Downcast but that didn't work either - seems I had to have actual music files on my phone before it would register via USB. I tried it again today just to make sure and bam it was working as if nothing happened.

It lets me skip songs and shows song information.

Aaaaaaaaaaand before I go to bed on night two, I've finally got my phone just the way I want it.

Settings all set up, apps all installed, wallpapers made, and battery about ready to get cycled. The only thing I don't have set up is my music, because I change a ~1gig playlist about once a week.

Some Gravity Rush love:

8014274888_444d41cd18_c.jpg

My "main" page (Screen #1) with the items I reference most.

8014277210_fe59a39152_c.jpg

And before even doing a "true" cycle, I'm pretty happy with battery life. It's not spectacular, but it's solid, and shouldn't be a problem so long as I pick up a car charger.

50% brightness
Location Services on
Push 5 email accounts, fetch every hour
Wifi on (only connects at my house and work)
LTE data on (everywhere else)
Bluetooth off

8014276932_c8361db37f_c.jpg

Loving this phone.

I camped out for the first iPhone, and have since upgraded to a 3GS -> 4S -> 5.

Every phone has brought quite a few monumental changes. The biggest thing going to the 3GS was the internet speed; coming from EDGE to 3G was huge. Going to the 4S, it was obviously the screen that blew me away - I can't even look at a 3GS equivalent screen, anymore. With the 5, I figured it would either be the taller screen or the faster internals that would get me; but it's really a combination of those said internals mixed with LTE. This phone flies. Period. I'm never waiting on it.

Internet browsing certainly isn't as efficient as the desktop experience (nor as customizable); but for mobile internet, I really can't imagine it being any faster. The LTE loads pages like NeoGaf, Macrumors, CheapAssGamer, HardForum, The Verge, Engadget, etc nearly instantly. A split second to ping the site, and then it loads in the blink of an eye.

The taller screen ... I'm still iffy about. I was actually quite content with the 3.5" on the other devices. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "big screen hater." Heck, I like that Android gives choice - the S3 has a gorgeous display, and the size "seems" like it would be nice. But honestly, I just don't know after playing with the 5. It's not BAD by any means. But I have big hands, and it really was nice being able to easily reach the top left of the screen with my thumb. It's still do-able, and not difficult per se', but it's more challenging than before - if only slightly. I think I'm most shocked that Apple isn't really utilizing the extra space for anything. I mean... nearly nothing at all. The only plus I've seen of the taller screen is seeing more emails at once, and the calendar app is much more usable in portrait mode. All that said, the screen is gorgeous. The viewing angles are spectacular, and the pixel density is as amazing as ever. I personally feel it's a step above the 4S or the GSIII - but I think the Vita's OLED (which I find to be superior to the Galaxy's) is the best looking screen on the market - it just needs a higher PPI. In any case, though, there's no way the 5's screen could be disappointing.

Build quality is great. It's light - but not as light as I was expecting after hearing all the early impressions. It still feels solid - and definitely not cheap. But the 4S's weight never bothered me in the slightest. I loved the glass of the 4, and it's hard to top it. That said, somehow the 5 in black really does look more modern. I don't know why; but it does. It just has that sci-fi stealth bomber look to it. It's gorgeous, if lacking in any risk.

I initially felt I'd like the headphone port on the bottom - considering the whole "you put your phone in your pocket upside down argument"; but I didn't consider something - it gets in the way when typing/texting. It's hard to get comfortable around a headphone cable sticking out and pressing against just one of your hands. I wish it was on top.

Home button feels way better than the 4S's or 3GS's. Has a much more tactile click.

Voice quality seems pretty similar to the 4S, but there is a small improvement. Nothing amazing, though. It is *louder*, though, which I really appreciate. It's much easier to hear when in my car with the AC on high.

All-in-all; about what I was expecting. It's an evolutionary update; with pretty much no surprises. It's all just more of the same, but better (save for the maps, which are extremely hit or miss. I don't have too much to comment on, but I will say even in my small area near Kansas City, it definitely is a downgrade from Google... though turn-by-turn works really well). Honestly, though, I don't know what I want at this point. More uniform color/design choices in the apps, and better utilization of the taller screen are about the only things bothering me at this point. There's nothing on Android I'm jealous of; and while the sleek design and text-orientation of Windows Phone is extremely sleek, I don't know if I'd necessarily call it more usable or intuitive.

I'm not saying that's an excuse - I'm not getting paid the big bucks to innovate a company's product. But I am ready for a little (or preferably big) something out of Apple for the next iOS or hardware revision. I don't know what; but I'm hopeful it comes.

The big takeaway for me, for the 5, is it's just so freaking fast and sleek. There are some quirks, but for the power user it'd be hard to really fault much of anything - and you definitely won't be waiting on it. And for the average consumer, it's damn near perfection at this point.

you HAVE to post your lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers!!!!!!! they are amazing! :)

Kaladin

You don't realize you have spent the entire night creating some ring tones for your phone, until you've spent the entire night creating some ring tones for your phone.

SuperPac

So I've noticed that the 5 doesn't seem to adjust brightness the same way the 4S was on the iOS 6 GM (or beta 4). With my 4S it would adjust all the time or look dimmed when I took it out of my pocket at first but the 5 seems not to be doing any auto-adjusting even though I have auto-brightness on. Just me or had anyone else noticed that too?

kitzkozan

Damn. This phone is getting hated on quick.

Of course it's going to be hated on, just like every new product released by Apple. :] There's ton of haters or jealous crackpot out there along with raging nerds/geeks. :p I freaking love my Iphone 5 already and it's also my very first one. This thing is so sexy it's ridiculous and as a bonus it's also a powerhouse in term of speed/performance. ;) Bought a case + screen protector straight away so the phone is mint and will stay that way for quite some time.

Of course, it was pretty much destined that I was going with the 5 since I was waiting for it since last year. :p Well that and the fact that I had an Ipod touch 4th generation with all my music on Itune already + all my apps ready to go (and digital copies of my movies) .

Terrell

I was thinking more on this... should we have a wallpaper/ringtone customization thread? Preferably with an OP that has websites we can access to upload to and pool all of our resources together? I think min.us would work for the wallpapers, but can someone recommend a good site that we can use to share ringtones?

I'll do the thread if someone thinks we should have a thread, since I dunno about necro-bumping the old ones that have stuff in them for wallpapers that's not useful.

So I tested out my iPhone 5 in my 2012 Honda Civic to see if everything would work correctly. It connects with the usb cable, so no need for the adapter. Unfortunately it does not work. It will show that is connected but will not let me access the menu through car stereo or the iPhone. In one attempt it did start playing a song, but did not let me skip the song or show the song information.

It's disappointing that it does not work, but I usually have an iPod connected at all times so I have no need to connect my iPhone to listen to music.

Crap, so numble was wrong? It's a bigger issue?

TheExodu5

Banned

This is why I'd never bother with an iPod connection in a vehicle...they always have compatibility issues. My mom's 3GS doesn't work in her Elantra while my iPhone 4 did. That was enough for me to skip iPod integration in my vehicle and stick with Aux In (or bluetooth, alternatively).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is why I'd never bother with an iPod connection in a vehicle...they always have compatibility issues. My mom's 3GS doesn't work in her Elantra while my iPhone 4 did. That was enough for me to skip iPod integration in my vehicle and stick with Aux In (or bluetooth, alternatively).
It's much better to find a cheap ipod that works and stick with that (just keep it in the car and sync once in a while when you have new music). That said, my Iphone 4 works perfectly with the ipod connection in the car. Bluetooth sound quality sucks. Or at least did with every implementation I've seen two years ago when I was buying the car.

Interesting, it works in my '09 Civic. I wonder if they changed anything but I would assume not.

I did have a problem with my 4 when I first got it. It wouldn't recognize the phone at all for about a week, then all of a sudden it started to work again.

celebi23

wow, used almost 2gb in 2 days with iphone5. thank god i have unlimited data on verizon.
wonder if they are going to throttle soon.

How did you keep your unlimited data? When I called Verizon, I was told that I'd have to switch to one of their other data plans and I'd lose my unlimited data. Did you pay the unsubsidized price for the phone?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I did try using iphone 5 demo unit in a store yesterday. It is without a question the best industrial design and best crafted and manufactured phone or gadget period. Screen is also notably better quality than older iphones, contrast and color reproduction is fantastic. If it could do something meaningful that I can't already do on iphone 4, I'd gladly buy it. As it is, I can't quite justify what's essentially an improvement in shell, speed and color. It's really too damn bad they failed to implement NFC in this.

3G couldn't use iMessage as it required iOS 5. It's data, not texts. You're going through Apple when using it.

I figured as much. Is there a way to just used standard texting if you want? That would be lame for people that have limited data if you're forced to iMessage. Probably doesn't use much and I have unlimited data anyway but still curious if you can switch the option.

I did try using iphone 5 demo unit in a store yesterday. It is without a question the best industrial design and best crafted and manufactured phone or gadget period. Screen is also notably better quality than older iphones, contrast and color reproduction is fantastic. If it could do something meaningful that I can't already do on iphone 4, I'd gladly buy it. As it is, I can't quite justify what's essentially an improvement in shell, speed and color. It's really too damn bad they failed to implement NFC in this.

The speed alone over the 4 is worth it for me. It's what I appreciate the most, so far.

The screen should have been a bit bigger, esp width.

All said n done, I'm keeping a close eye on the 920. Executed well, it could be amazing.

numble

Crap, so numble was wrong? It's a bigger issue?
That has nothing to do with the connector changing or using an lightning to 30 pin adapter (it can't since it connects without the adapter). It sends the same USB data to the USB end whether the origin port is lightning or 30 pin. Civics seem to have a lot of problems with iPhones connecting through USB, he should look up fixes on 9thgencivic.com or something.

hirokazu

The speed alone over the 4 is worth it for me. It's what I appreciate the most, so far.

I like the screen size and I don't think I'd want a phone that's wider. That said, maybe my opinion on that would be different if I got used to those phones with larger displays.

The biggest thing for me is how much better and faster the camera is over the iPhone 4. The speed is probably second.

I'm a bit disappointed by the battery life so far though. I expected it to be better than my old iPhone 4's current capacity having been used extensively for over two years. Instead, it's been about the same so far. :|

hirokazu

I figured as much. Is there a way to just used standard texting if you want? That would be lame for people that have limited data if you're forced to iMessage. Probably doesn't use much and I have unlimited data anyway but still curious if you can switch the option.
It doesn't use much data at all unless you're sending lots of pictures and things. For most people, it works out cheaper to send iMessages than expensive SMS/MMS.

You can disable it in Settings though if you're concerned about conserving data usage.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

All said n done, I'm keeping a close eye on the 920. Executed well, it could be amazing.
Heh, same - I want to see if 920 can win me over.

But yeah, the improvement in speed is big. The improvement in shell design may not be as big, but that's only because iphone 4 was so well designed in the first place.

Top Bottom