• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

hirokazu

So I've noticed that the 5 doesn't seem to adjust brightness the same way the 4S was on the iOS 6 GM (or beta 4). With my 4S it would adjust all the time or look dimmed when I took it out of my pocket at first but the 5 seems not to be doing any auto-adjusting even though I have auto-brightness on. Just me or had anyone else noticed that too?
Yep. It does auto-adjust, but it doesn't seem to be very active as the 4 and 4S were. I wonder why that is.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yep. It does auto-adjust, but it doesn't seem to be very active as the 4 and 4S were. I wonder why that is.

At a guess, it's done for less battery drain eg. slowly adjust it to an even light situation rather than knee-jerk up/down adjustments to account for all sudden/temporary changes in the environment.

noah111

Still Alive
So is Siri just broken at the minute? Tried using it on my iPad a few times this weekend and got nothing.
The servers are probably getting slammed. But i've been used it a few times today and it worked alright. A bit slow sometimes but I didn't get the 'try again later' error I was getting on my phone the other day.

Pachimari

I'm seriously thinking of lining up for a 64GB iPhone 5. Which would be an upgrade from my 32GB iPhone 4.

But then it also means no iPad Mini for me next month..

Clockwork

Definitely not the 10mb+ I see LTE pull.

329205971.png

LTE is even faster, but this isn't horrible for what you folks are basically calling fake 4G.

ChanHuk

Banned
According to my the speed test app. There's no difference between LTE and HSPA+ in my area other than upload. Ping and downloads are roughly the same.

hirokazu

At a guess, it's done for less battery drain eg. slowly adjust it to an even light situation rather than knee-jerk up/down adjustments to account for all sudden/temporary changes in the environment.

I don't know, in most cases, the display is brighter than it needs to be. There was only one instance so far where for some reason it adjusted itself to the lowest brightness.

Anyway, one other thing that's annoying is the screen doesn't seem to turn itself off if the phone is plugged in to charge.

noah111

Still Alive
Only problem with the video is that the headphone jack is on the wrong side to the production version.
Are you talking about the render pics (the macro-style ones with the wooden surface)? The fact that they even use those shots as purported leaked photos is sort of questionable anyway.

Updating apps without a password is not what I wanted :( sometimes an app has a shit update or something is removed, now knowing that my little bro or nephew can come along and update them when they play is bad thoughts.

They're MUCH better than the old white standard apple earbuds. People expecting High Tier audio from them should be slapped. For what they are, they're solid. I'll use em around the house to listen to music so I don't put extra wear on my real headphones that I use for work everyday.

But do they direct music into the ear?

jts

...hate me...
Updating apps without a password is not what I wanted :( sometimes an app has a shit update or something is removed, now knowing that my little bro or nephew can come along and update them when they play is bad thoughts.
That doesn't make much sense. They can already delete your apps which will make you lose your app data, and you'll have to get the latest version of said app if you don't have the one you want on iTunes anyway.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it, but if you handle your phone to children (or anyone really), shit can always go down. But you can at least enable some restrictions if you want to, including to the app store.

hirokazu

I guess you could enable restrictions, though that'd be annoying to do every time you give them the phone. Or don't give them the phone to play with! :|

Soybean

Anyone know anything about why "iCloud Service" uses so much data over cellular even when connected over wifi? I'm using Dataman Pro to track data usage and this iCloud Service stuff is adding up. This is just one hour's worth of use, with my iPhone connected to wifi the entire time (left column is cell data, right is wifi data):

Anyone know anything about why "iCloud Service" uses so much data over cellular even when connected over wifi? I'm using Dataman Pro to track data usage and this iCloud Service stuff is adding up. This is just one hour's worth of use, with my iPhone connected to wifi the entire time (left column is cell data, right is wifi data):
iL7PS9Wja10nB
How do you get to that screen? Now that I'm not on unlimited this would come in handy

Zeth

This is definitely my favorite iPhone yet, despite all the talk of disappointment. The world is starting to suffer from mobile tech ennui, but we're still only in its infancy after ~5 years.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
iL7PS9Wja10nB

Are you sure it's connected the entire time? it's been my experience that iOS releases the wifi signal while the screen is locked.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Perhaps. Broader question: why is there so much communication with iCloud over cellular in any situation? I turned off iCloud -> Documents & Data -> Use Cellular Data and iTunes & App Stores -> Use Cellular Data.

It's an app called Dataman Pro:
http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/dataman-pro-real-time-data/id433617332

iOS dumps the wifi signal when the device is locked to conserve battery.

I would guess it uses the traffic because iCloud pings/syncs (in addition to the Docs&Data stuff) Mail, Contacs, Calendars, Reminders, Safari user state/bookmarks, Notes, Passbook, Photo Streams on a regular basis, only if turned on of course.

LCfiner

Let's say I travel abroad; can I use my GPS with built-in maps while on airplane mode?

there won't be a map for you to see unless you turn on data. it'll be a blue dot on a uniform grid.

there are apps that have offline maps that allow you to navigate with the GPS and no data

Soybean

iOS dumps the wifi signal when the device is locked to conserve battery.

I would guess it uses the traffic because iCloud pings/syncs (in addition to the Docs&Data stuff) Mail, Contacs, Calendars, Reminders, Safari user state/bookmarks, Notes, Passbook, Photo Streams on a regular basis, only if turned on of course.

Ah, right. Thanks. Most of that is disabled but I do have Safari syncing.

Maybe bumping up my data limit would be worth avoiding all this anxiety.

MasLegio

Banned
Let's say I travel abroad; can I use my GPS with built-in maps while on airplane mode?

You can use apps that download maps. Neither apple maps or google maps has that option I think.

MotionX does as well as others. I used it when I went to Mallorca last month.

but you do not have to put it on airplane mode, just select to turn of mobile data, then it only access internet/data while on wifi and you still can use it as a phone

goodcow

Verizon LTE is amazing in Manhattan. Typically getting 15Mbps down, but my highest speed test was 32Mbps. I've already chewed through 8.2GB of data since Friday.

Paying retail for the phone to keep unlimited was definitely worth it for me. Over a two-year period the $450 subsidy works out to $18.75 a month, so I'm effectively paying $42.75 a month ($30 less 20% work discount for data, plus $18.75) for unlimited, unthrottled LTE.

noah111

Still Alive
there won't be a map for you to see unless you turn on data. it'll be a blue dot on a uniform grid.

there are apps that have offline maps that allow you to navigate with the GPS and no data
I know it's not ideal, but the caching in the new maps app seems to be good. Even the 3D stuff, I find are still browsable without a connection. As long as you have the basics cached, there may be no need for data.

TheKurgan

Never had an iPhone before. Any recommendations on what settings to use to maximize battery life? I have Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on, and brightness set to auto.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Never had an iPhone before. Any recommendations on what settings to use to maximize battery life? I have Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on, and brightness set to auto.

Auto just pushes your brightness setting up or down a little depending on ambient light. The brightness level of the bar is still the overall/global brightness.

Top Bottom