• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CaLe

How do I enable Push for gmail accounts ?

The option doesn't seem to be there, it defaults to Fetch and there's no way to set it to Push.

Thanks

Ovid

Verizon LTE is amazing in Manhattan. Typically getting 15Mbps down, but my highest speed test was 32Mbps. I've already chewed through 8.2GB of data since Friday.

Paying retail for the phone to keep unlimited was definitely worth it for me. Over a two-year period the $450 subsidy works out to $18.75 a month, so I'm effectively paying $42.75 a month ($30 less 20% work discount for data, plus $18.75) for unlimited, unthrottled LTE.
How the heck do you go through 8GB of data in two days? Do you not use Wi-Fi at home?

Radec

This is the kind of people I expect show up to release lines TBH.

I've watched some interviews about these people and wow, I wonder what's so special about having the iPhone a few hours earlier than everyone else.

They just camp out there for days. They must smell like shit when the Apple store opened.

Zeth

Line interview lady seems highly suspect. Would've been more convincing if they stopped before the "Apple 5" stuff.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well, I'm awake now after doing my first true "cycle" or calibration on the battery. After using it immediately upon arrival and depleting to about 10%, I charged it to 100% and woke up yesterday morning. From there, I used the phone heavily and let it drain to 0% by about 11:30pm last night. I let it sit there, dead, for a little less than two hours, and then I plugged it in and went to bed. I woke up to a 100% charge, and then let it stay charging for an extra hour or so just in case.

Immediately upon removing the cable, I began "typical" use. I bounced between text messages (glad my friend was being a conversationalist), email, and internet browsing (with a page reload every minute or so). I did this without letting the phone's screen turn off even once.

50% Brightness
Was using Wifi with a strong signal; but LTE was turned "on"
All Location Services On
Push Email for five accounts
Bluetooth off

I got THIRTY minutes of use before dropping to 99%. Obviously, there's no way that'll be a linear depletion. I have zero doubts that the battery percentage will drop quick and quicker the closer it gets to zero. Nevertheless, it's still pretty nice, considering my 4S would drop from 100%->99% in a couple minutes; and after 30 minutes of equivalent use, my old phone would probably be hovering around 93-94% battery life.

So, again, I don't expect the phone to keep up with this; but I'll check back at the end of the day and share how it fared.

8015837733_12a90a3ef2_c.jpg

Also, for those who asked earlier:

8015866433_a5864da32e_o.jpg

(credit goes to a Google search)

ooK6R.jpg

(credit goes to akonikui from MacRumors)

Septimius

Line interview lady seems highly suspect. Would've been more convincing if they stopped before the "Apple 5" stuff.

She's in multiple windows - umh.. videos. I would've found it funny, but I'm pretty sure she has to be legally retarded to say things like that. That makes it not so funny.

MasLegio

Banned
Well, I'm awake now after doing my first true "cycle" or calibration on the battery. After using it immediately upon arrival and depleting to about 10%, I charged it to 100% and woke up yesterday morning. From there, I used the phone heavily and let it drain to 0% by about 11:30pm last night. I let it sit there, dead, for a little less than two hours, and then I plugged it in and went to bed. I woke up to a 100% charge, and then let it stay charging for an extra hour or so just in case.

Immediately upon removing the cable, I began "typical" use. I bounced between text messages (glad my friend was being a conversationalist), email, and internet browsing (with a page reload every minute or so). I did this without letting the phone's screen turn off even once.

50% Brightness
Was using Wifi with a strong signal; but LTE was turned "on"
All Location Services On
Push Email for five accounts
Bluetooth off

I got THIRTY minutes of use before dropping to 99%. Obviously, there's no way that'll be a linear depletion. I have zero doubts that the battery percentage will drop quick and quicker the closer it gets to zero. Nevertheless, it's still pretty nice, considering my 4S would drop from 100%->99% in a couple minutes; and after 30 minutes of equivalent use, my old phone would probably be hovering around 93-94% battery life.

So, again, I don't expect the phone to keep up with this; but I'll check back at the end of the day and share how it fared.

is it really necessary to cycle modern batteries anymore?

I figured as much. Is there a way to just used standard texting if you want? That would be lame for people that have limited data if you're forced to iMessage. Probably doesn't use much and I have unlimited data anyway but still curious if you can switch the option.

Yup, you can turn iMessage off in Settings -> Messages, though its data use is negligible. Honestly I've been thinking about dropping my unlimited texting plan because nearly everyone I text has an iOS device.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
is it really necessary to cycle modern batteries anymore?

I often hear that you don't need to (some people even say you shouldn't). But I still do with all my electronics about once ever two or three months, and especially right after buying it. Whether it's one of my several iPhones, a gaming handheld, my laptop, or a WiFi hotspot; I've always eeked out some better life after doing it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This guy is an ass.

You Don’t Need a F*cking Case for Your iPhone 5
http://gizmodo.com/5945198

I like the part where he rages about people buying cases because they want to personalise their phone, only to say it's not worth it because somebody else is probably using the same case.

the solution being then to not use a case so your iPhone looks like... every other iPhone.

and the part where he says using a case is pointless because they get scratched, ignoring the fact you can replace them but you can't replace the aluminum case on the iPhone if it gets trashed.

bionic77

How the heck do you go through 8GB of data in two days? Do you not use Wi-Fi at home?
LTE on Verizon is like regular Internet. I have had a mifi for awhile and if you are watching videos you can chew through a few gigs in like 2 hours.

I have to monitor what I do to avoid going over my 5 gig cap.

Though to be fair I don't so anything that data intensive on my phone but even on a phone if you download some big apps, podcasts and videos it would go fast.

LTE on Verizon is like regular Internet. I have had a mifi for awhile and if you are watching videos you can chew through a few gigs in like 2 hours.

I have to monitor what I do to avoid going over my 5 gig cap.

Though to be fair I don't so anything that data intensive on my phone but even on a phone if you download some big apps, podcasts and videos it would go fast.

I wonder how long before these carriers up these data caps.

goodcow

When LTE is faster than my home internet, no, no I don't. Besides, essentially all my home internet bandwidth is being used to upload to CrashPlan. FiOS isn't available in my building yet, so I'm stuck on a 7Mbps DSL line.

JDeluis

It works with my 2009 Civic. Actually at first I thought it didn't, because I use iTunes Match and hadn't actually downloaded any music yet when I tried it. So I thought I'd listen to a podcast through Downcast but that didn't work either - seems I had to have actual music files on my phone before it would register via USB. I tried it again today just to make sure and bam it was working as if nothing happened.

It lets me skip songs and shows song information.

I'll have to try it out again. I don't use iTunes Match and do have about 4GB music on the phone.

I've been reading some of the civic forums and some people have no problems listening and controlling the music through the stereo, but others have similar problems with the phone not working correctly.

Rayme

Wondering about my poor battery life too, finally noticed that under iCloud, the phone thinks it's still restoring from a backup.

So I can click "Stop Restoring iPhone", but is there a way to check, first, what it hasn't restored yet & what it's waiting for? I've checked all the obvious things, but...?

saelz8

Anyone else not able to sync voice memos? iTunes says they are on my iPhone, but when I open up the voice memo app they aren't there.

Tobor

:( it's just so annoying having to manually turn GPS on and off (especially off as there is usually no shortcut to the settings app for that) when it's required. I've been spoilt by autotoggles in Android.

I don't turn it off, I just know that it kills the battery when in use. I rarely toggle anything except airplane mode when I'm on an airplane.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
:( it's just so annoying having to manually turn GPS on and off (especially off as there is usually no shortcut to the settings app for that) when it's required. I've been spoilt by autotoggles in Android.

is GPS on all the time if you leave it on in the settings?

Wondering about my poor battery life too, finally noticed that under iCloud, the phone thinks it's still restoring from a backup.

So I can click "Stop Restoring iPhone", but is there a way to check, first, what it hasn't restored yet & what it's waiting for? I've checked all the obvious things, but...?

For me this was the phone restoring all my podcasts. The iTunes app was downloading hundreds of files before I stopped it. Took me a while to figure it out.

Top Bottom