• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't turn it off, I just know that it kills the battery when in use. I rarely toggle anything except airplane mode when I'm on an airplane.
No, it will show the arrow in the upper right when it's actually being used. You will also know by how hot it gets and how fast your battery drains
Well I barely used the gps so I guess that's not it then. Likely culprit is the screen (i.e. I'm using the device too much).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
No, it will show the arrow in the upper right when it's actually being used. You will also know by how hot it gets and how fast your battery drains

sorry, I meant to say is it always available when it's on. Like, can any app just start using it when it needs it or do they need to notify the user?

It seems like it would be easy to kill the battery if you left it on and apps could just use it in the background (for location services, ads etc).

sorry, I meant to say is it always available when it's on. Like, can any app just start using it when it needs it or do they need to notify the user?

It seems like it would be easy to kill the battery if you left it on and apps could just use it in the background (for location services, ads etc).

Apps will only ask your permission the first time they are run, after that it's automatic as long as it's enabled in settings. Very few apps will use it in the background, and the arrow will always let you know whether it's in use (background or otherwise)

There's a list of apps that have ever/recently requested GPS in the location services section of settings.

Tobor

Of course not, but there's a difference between saying stickers on hats looks ridiculous, and saying those people are idiots for doing it.

Come on, coco. This is an Internet forum, we call people idiots for everything under the sun all day long. That's certainly not an Apple exclusive. Not even close.

LCfiner

I got a chance to play around with a store display model iphone 5 today. both black and white models. Noticed that it does feel super light - even with that plastic cradle they put on the thing for security purposes (I was in future shop). I was able to reach all around the screen with my thumb but part of that was because I was holding it differently since it was in the cradle. I usually hold my phone a lot tighter than I was able to hold this demo model.

I also saw some small scuffs and silver aluminum coming through on the black model. not really surprised there since it's been manhandled all weekend. But it concerns me how it'll end up looking after a year in a pocket - the hardness of the iphone 4 was something I really liked about it.

it really does seem like a (mostly) nice evolution/ iteration of the iphone 4 design. I am looking forward to a tweaked model next year that does something different with the black finish so it's less fragile (I'm still not a fan of the white/ silver color scheme)

LaneDS

I got a chance to play around with a store display model iphone 5 today. both black and white models. Noticed that it does feel super light - even with that plastic cradle they put on the thing for security purposes (I was in future shop). I was able to reach all around the screen with my thumb but part of that was because I was holding it differently since it was in the cradle. I usually hold my phone a lot tighter than I was able to hold this demo model.

I also saw some small scuffs and silver aluminum coming through on the black model. not really surprised there since it's been manhandled all weekend. But it concerns me how it'll end up looking after a year in a pocket - the hardness of the iphone 4 was something I really liked about it.

it really does seem like a (mostly) nice evolution/ iteration of the iphone 4 design. I am looking forward to a tweaked model next year that does something different with the black finish so it's less fragile (I'm still not a fan of the white/ silver color scheme)

How'd the white one look after store use? And in general, how are people that own the white one on here finding it in terms of scuffs? Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the black one, but keeping it seems low on the list.

LCfiner

How'd the white one look after store use? And in general, how are people that own the white one on here finding it in terms of scuffs? Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the black one, but keeping it seems low on the list.

saw no scuffs on the white one. I looked around the edges and saw nothing.

On the black one, I saw the tiny little chips with silver coming through on both the edges (only a couple locations) and on a couple speaker grill holes on the bottom.

First day:

Next:

Brightness on 60-75 (no auto)
bluetooth on (2 accessories connected)
gps on (no geo-location alerts though)
wifi on
lte on

I've always been skeptical of the battery tests in reviews (engadget's said they got like 14 hours after heavy use with LTE and wifi on), so it's nice to see real world numbers instead of thinking my phone or battery is defective. I never got as good battery life out of my 4 as sites claim, so I'm hoping to get good life out of the 5, will be interesting to see battery stats get posted in the coming days

I got a chance to play around with a store display model iphone 5 today.
Yeah, mine actually had a chip in the paint out of the box. Real bummer but you have to be looking for it to see it. Still under whelmed given all those videos hyping the production methods behind the chamfered edge. Did you listen to any music on it? I think it sounds a lot crisper and more open than the 4. Real nice surprise that I noticed straight on. It sounds a lot closer to the SQ of the 2012 iPad. Other than that, I'd say it's a huge upgrade over the 4, extremely snappy and sexy phone

LaneDS

saw no scuffs on the white one. I looked around the edges and saw nothing.

On the black one, I saw the tiny little chips with silver coming through on both the edges (only a couple locations) and on a couple speaker grill holes on the bottom.

Sounds about right. One day of use and mine has a tiny chip near the volume controls, and I'm not sure how it got there. Guess I should just try the white one for a couple years.

goodcow

Yeah, that's not going to happen. People like goodcow are their worst nightmare, and unlimited LTE is going to lead to lots of goodcows.

If they're laying down fiber backhaul to the towers and LTE is much more spectrum efficient than 2G and 3G, this whole notion of "bandwidth hogs" is absolute bullshit created by the telecom industry so they can fuck you over to the tune of $10 per gigabyte. I'm a "nightmare" in terms of not letting them milk me dry for utilizing my smart phone to its full potential, but it's not like I'm actually abusing any of the infrastructure they're putting up, it can handle it just fine.

LCfiner

I've always been skeptical of the battery tests in reviews (engadget's said they got like 14 hours after heavy use with LTE and wifi on), so it's nice to see real world numbers instead of thinking my phone or battery is defective. I never got as good battery life out of my 4 as sites claim, so I'm hoping to get good life out of the 5, will be interesting to see battery stats get posted in the coming days

Yeah, mine actually had a chip in the paint out of the box. Real bummer but you have to be looking for it to see it. Still under whelmed given all those videos hyping the production methods behind the chamfered edge. Did you listen to any music on it? I think it sounds a lot crisper and more open than the 4. Real nice surprise that I noticed straight on. It sounds a lot closer to the SQ of the 2012 iPad

Nope, I did not listen to any music on it. I was mainly concerned with form factor and screen. it's good to hear that SQ seems to be good.

but, on a related note for SQ, I read on head-fi from someone who got one that the iPhone 5 still works with the fostex hp-p1 DAC/ amp with the included lightning cable. so that's good. Apple didn't modify whatever communication security key or whatever to output a digital audio signal from the dock. Good news for a super niche audience (like me).

Nope, I did not listen to any music on it. I was mainly concerned with form factor and screen. it's good to hear that SQ seems to be good.

but, on a related note for SQ, I read on head-fi from someone who got one that the iPhone 5 still works with the fostex hp-p1 DAC/ amp with the included lightning cable. so that's good. Apple didn't modify whatever communication security key or whatever to output a digital audio signal from the dock. Good news for a super niche audience (like me).
Yeah, good news for DACs with USB input definitely, but all the people with exotic LODs must be pretty worried unless the forthcoming (?) adapter is compatible

Holy SHIT. First time on AT&T LTE in Brooklyn. Hot damn....30mb down and 3 up. If those are the speeds I get at the office on Monday I'm gonna nut in my slacks....

I'm gonna be pissed when I go back home to shitty 3G coverage.

Not until they lose business. Thought that would happen with the shared plans but many people I've met prefer it.

I've saved $30 a month switching to shared plan and we now get unlimited talk, I had unlimited data but only really used 2GB a month so I figured it made sense to switch

Marco1

I just returned and refunded my ip5 due to a nasty scrape on the black band.
I will wait until manufacturing has improved as I can't help but feel this is all caused by rushed, tired and over-worked Foxconn staff.

Ovid

Holy SHIT. First time on AT&T LTE in Brooklyn. Hot damn....30mb down and 3 up. If those are the speeds I get at the office on Monday I'm gonna nut in my slacks....

I'm gonna be pissed when I go back home to shitty 3G coverage.

From what I gather, the speeds very in NYC. And you know they'll suck in the city tomorrow.

I want to buy another lightning cable for someone in my fam but I'm not sure if there will be any. I mean I've heard of multiple people walking into best buy or apple stores and getting them and saying they had a bunch or a lot (in apple stores case), but I'm afraid I'll make the trip and it'll all be gone, lol.

So lazy. This is in canada btw.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I want to buy another lightning cable for someone in my fam but I'm not sure if there will be any. I mean I've heard of multiple people walking into best buy or apple stores and getting them and saying they had a bunch or a lot (in apple stores case), but I'm afraid I'll make the trip and it'll all be gone, lol.

So lazy. This is in canada btw.
Then make a phone call?

People are actually seeing Lightning cables in stores? I thought they weren't out at all yet. Might have to look around today, it's really annoying to only have one cable to charge with.

Tabris

Is there any decent website that shows lightning accessories as they come out? I need a new alarm clock dock or just a straight up iphone dock.

Is there any decent website that shows lightning accessories as they come out? I need a new alarm clock dock or just a straight up iphone dock.

Not to be a dick, but why the fuck even get any accessory with proprietary technology?
What if you want to get a Nokia in 2 years?

It's all about Bluetooth.

Top Bottom