• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Not to be a dick, but why the fuck even get any accessory with proprietary technology?
What if you want to get a Nokia in 2 years?

It's all about Bluetooth.
Nokia may not even be around in 2 years.

I'd rather dock my phone and charge while playing music than murder the battery with Bluetooth. Sounds better too.

-griffy-

Banned
People are actually seeing Lightning cables in stores? I thought they weren't out at all yet. Might have to look around today, it's really annoying to only have one cable to charge with.

Bought two Lightning cables at the Apple store yesterday, they had plenty in stock. What they didn't have any of was the Lightning to 30-pin adapter.

Cheap third-party cables and adapters will come, just as with the old 30-pin connector. It's just going to take a while.

Any recommendations for in-car mounts?

entremet

I'm switching to Verizon. Is there a way to get an unlimited data plan? I'm a data hog on my 4 on ATT, but I'm sick of not having a usable phone. I'm in the NYC Metro area.

Filth

I'm switching to Verizon. Is there a way to get an unlimited data plan? I'm a data hog on my 4 on ATT, but I'm sick of not having a usable phone. I'm in the NYC Metro area.

dont believe theirs anyway to get unlimited data on verizon now. if you have unlimited data on at&t i woudnt leave it. i have unlimited data and the lte network for at&t is awesome. im happy i stayed.

It may be different to new subscribers but I just checked my plan and the most they offered is 12gb.

dont believe theirs anyway to get unlimited data on verizon now. if you have unlimited data on at&t i woudnt leave it. i have unlimited data and the lte network for at&t is awesome. im happy i stayed.
I had unlimited data on AT&T and I walked away from it because it's worthless if you can't get any fucking bars.

It's amazing how many people AT&T is keeping loyal with these "unlimited" plans when what they really mean is 3gb. One of the greatest pieces of marketing bunco I've seen in a long time.

I had unlimited data on AT&T and I walked away from it because it's worthless if you can't get any fucking bars.

It's amazing how many people AT&T is keeping loyal with these "unlimited" plans when what they really mean is 3gb. One of the greatest pieces of marketing bunco I've seen in a long time.

If I could do Voice and Data with Verizon, I would have switched also but what can you do...?

I never missed that feature after I left, realized I never needed it that much. Sounds like others find it useful though.

Yeah, it's subjective. For work, I tend to be on long calls and it's quite common for someone to send me emails applicable to the conversation while I'm on the call.

You can't even get texts if you're on a call with Verizon?

bionic77

There is one way, but it is tricky and involves time travel.

If you have a time machine lying around PM me.

Timan

Developer

Thought you got 6gb at unthrottled speeds, then after that they start to throttle.

I never missed that feature after I left, realized I never needed it that much. Sounds like others find it useful though.

I use it everyday to help my sister with homework. She texts me a picture of the problem and I talk it through with her while reading it. I then also will sometimes find a link on the web with an explanation and forward it to her.

iammeiam

The 3GB limit isn't harshly enforced everywhere, though--one line on my account routinely hits 4-5GB a month, and a couple months back got his first throttling warning ever because he'd hit 8GB three weeks into the billing cycle. I know I've crossed over 4GB quite a few times, never been throttled. So it's a combination of never having had the theoretical limit cause me issues, and never having to pay for going over some random limit that makes the unlimited plans maintain strong loyalty.

This guy speaks the truth. Everyone using a case just ruined their $800 phone. It's as stupid as plastic on a couch.

Gotta call bullshit on this. I use a case because I'd rather the case take all the scrapes, scuffs and damage than my phone. That'll bed me a premium price when reselling the thing when the time come. Besides the case I'm using cost 18 bucks and doesn't degrade the "look" of the phone at all.

I use it everyday to help my sister with homework. She texts me a picture of the problem and I talk it through with her while reading it. I then also will sometimes find a link on the web with an explanation and forward it to her.
I think I do use it but it's not a problem for me because I'm usually at home where the phone has wifi or often have my mobile LTE hotspot when I'm out so the phone almost always thinks it has a wifi connection. :)

Espresso

Banned
Thought you got 6gb at unthrottled speeds, then after that they start to throttle.

It's 3GB.

jyoc3.jpg

Finally someone here gets it. What's the point of "unlimited" when they throttle the shit out of you once you hit a predetermined "cap"?

Protip; Any cap by definition means that its not "unlimited".

Sean

Banned

Yeah I should have done the same. Feel like an abused wife on AT&T - keep saying to myself "I'll stick around a little longer, things might get better" and that of course never happens.

I will be interested to see what the new Mophie Juicepack cases look like. Everyone I know loves theirs, would have got one for my 4S but the 5 was just around the corner. The 5 is so damn thin and light that even with a battery case attached it shouldn't be too bulky.

mrkgoo

Finally someone here gets it. What's the point of "unlimited" when they throttle the shit out of you once you hit a predetermined "cap"?

Protip; Any cap by definition means that its not "unlimited".

It's unlimited amount with no guarantee about speed. Although technically, you're not getting unlimited 'highspeed' Internet, I suppose.

Every time I hear you Americans whine about this stuff, it kind of makes me whince. We have throttling caps on our home broadband. Our mobile data limits are miniscule. And if we go over, we get charged 20c per MB.

I'm actually pretty happy that I've upgraded to a 300 MB plan, because 100 MB was a bit limiting. ah, the freedom of 3x the data! I would like 500, but let's not go crazy here. Also, I get 30 minutes (non roll over) talk time! I love this package.

sonitii

So I finally checked out the iPhone 5 at my local Apple store today. The light weight and the length kind of reminds me of the first generation iPod Nano.

I like it especially the bigger screen. I will probably just stick with the 4S for another year though.

entremet

Yeah, even though I got ''unlimited'' on ATT those goobers constantly throttle me 'cause I pass the ''limit''. Telecos are just so damn worthless.

Plus I never get reception in key places in NYC, which is crazy when you think about it.

Surprised Verizon is not offering a promotion for prospective switchers.

Zeth

I'm going to end up throttled just from using SpeedTest :(

Thinking I need an LTE iPad next year, it's a beautiful thing.

Yeah, even though I got ''unlimited'' on ATT those goobers constantly throttle me 'cause I pass the ''limit''. Telecos are just so damn worthless.

Plus I never get reception in key places in NYC, which is crazy when you think about it.

I think the "promotion" they're offering is actual wifespread LTE coverage. They are carpet-bombing with ads right now comparing their LTE network to their competitors'.

bonesquad

The "unlimited" plan is still the best single person plan on AT&T, but it's the 15% corporate discount I'd lose that keeps me on ATT, for now.

Gotta call bullshit on this. I use a case because I'd rather the case take all the scrapes, scuffs and damage than my phone. That'll bed me a premium price when reselling the thing when the time come. Besides the case I'm using cost 18 bucks and doesn't degrade the "look" of the phone at all.

If you want a case to help protect from scratches, that's your choice. But a cheap $18 case does degrade the look of the phone.

Mairu

Neither AT&T or Verizon seem to care about getting customers from the other side to switch. They don't compete on price and better LTE in some areas isn't enough to get me to give up my unlimited. I'd rather get throttled than have to pay overage fees at this point. Maybe in two years the landscape will change or AT&T will cut off people upgrading from unlimited plans.

Neither AT&T or Verizon seem to care about getting customers from the other side to switch. They don't compete on price and better LTE in some areas isn't enough to get me to give up my unlimited. I'd rather get throttled than have to pay overage fees at this point. Maybe in two years the landscape will change or AT&T will cut off people upgrading from unlimited plans.

How much data do you use in a month? I've never understood some people's obsession with unlimited data for their phone. Wifi is so prevalent these days.

I've always just assumed it was a product of the "more is always better than less, even if I never use it" mindset that seems common among today's younger people.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I went a really sorta like hip upper scale street food thing yesterday, fucking EVERYONE had an iphone5. I'm sure it was just because I was sorta looking for them but I swear I saw just as man py of them as their we're glass ones. The thing had only been out for 24 hours! Even in traffic on the freeway I look over and some dude is playing with one.

Saw mostly white ones. Surprisingly.

How much data do you use in a month? I've never understood some people's obsession with unlimited data for their phone. Wifi is so prevalent these days.

I've always just assumed it was a product of the "more is always better than less, even if I never use it" mindset that seems common among today's younger people.

So LTE is pointless too?

I went a really sorta like hip upper scale street food thing yesterday, fucking EVERYONE had an iphone5. I'm sure it was just because I was sorta looking for them but I swear I saw just as man py of them as their we're glass ones. The thing had only been out for 24 hours! Even in traffic on the freeway I look over and some dude is playing with one.

Saw mostly white ones. Surprisingly.

iPhones are popular, water is wet

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
See I think the stealth fighter jet model is clearly the more attractive one this year. The glass ones, the white is definitely superior, IMO.

In a big urban area wi-fi can be prevalent; but more often than not I can't reach a network. So unlimited data plans allow me to forget about how much I use the internet while being out.

And it saves me the hassle of having another plan for my iPad. I just go with tethering and I'm fine.

Besides, I live in what probably is the most expensive country in the world (Switzerland) when it comes to mobile connections. I'd rather pay more upfront; no surprises.

So LTE is pointless too?

Absolutely not. I don't see how the two are related.

In a big urban area wi-fi can be prevalent; but more often than not I can't reach a network. So unlimited data plans allow me to forget about how much I use the internet while being out.

And it saves me the hassle of having another plan for my iPad. I just go with tethering and I'm fine.

Besides, I live in what probably is the most expensive country in the world (Switzerland) when it comes to mobile connections. I'd rather pay more upfront; no surprises.

Of course I have no idea what your plan options are, but I could never see myself using more than a couple gigs a month, and that would be heavy, heavy use.

Top Bottom