• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Marco1

I can see why people like to keep their ip5 in a case but I just love the thing naked.
The same reason why I never change the factory standard alloy wheels on any car I buy.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have grandfathered AT&T Unlimited, which now gives me 5 gigs of unthrottled data. I hope I never lose it. Yes, wifi is pretty prevalent. But still, I travel a lot and am on the to quite a bit - often in a hurry. Having cellular data at all times makes you (pretty much) non-dependent on anything. It's comforting.

Number45

I can see why people like to keep their ip5 in a case but I just love the thing naked.
The same reason why I never change the factory standard alloy wheels on any car I buy.
I have a Sena slip case for my 4S and will get one for my 5 when I get it as well. Provides protection and allows you to go naked at will.

Mairu

I have grandfathered AT&T Unlimited, which now gives me 5 gigs of unthrottled data. I hope I never lose it. Yes, wifi is pretty prevalent. But still, I travel a lot and am on the to quite a bit - often in a hurry. Having cellular data at all times makes you (pretty much) non-dependent on anything. It's comforting.

What makes it worse that the non-unlimited plans available are pretty much all more expensive :/

Even if I conceded to only using x gigs a month, any plan on Verizon or AT&T would be more expensive than what I'm paying right now for "unlimited"

No joy, must be a dead one. But it's so small that even when I'm looking for it it takes me a few moments to see it. I think I'm going to take this as an opportunity for personal growth and not be bothered by it. Unless of course the phone gets scuffed and then it's straight to the Genius Bar!

Since I had to pay full price for the phone this time I got AppleCare+. It's nice that it's two years because if I do decide to sell it in a year for the 5S or whatever the extra year uber warranty will add nicely to the resale value.

is apple care tied to your account or to the specific phone?

3rd party cables and adapters are listed on eBay but I don't think any are actually shipping yet.

The case article was a little ranty but I agree with the basic sentiment. I die a little inside everytime I see a case or screen protector.

Apple spends so much time on design, aesthetics and the feel of the device, getting everything down to the nth degree.

It feels like slapping Jony in the face to cover it up. I've never seen a case that improves on naked and I've never seen a protector that doesn't make the screen look worse.

Tobor

They had tons of lightning cables at the Apple Store today. I picked up two. No adapters, but I don't need one of those anyway.

The Apple Store was so busy today I had to wait in line for a few minutes to get in the store. Crazy.

Mairu

3rd party cables and adapters are listed on eBay but I don't think any are actually shipping yet.

The case article was a little ranty but I agree with the basic sentiment. I die a little inside everytime I see a case or screen protector.

Apple spends so much time on design, aesthetics and the feel of the device, getting everything down to the nth degree.

It feels like slapping Jony in the face to cover it up. I've never seen a case that improves on naked and I've never seen a protector that doesn't make the screen look worse.

Jony deserves a slap after seeing that video comparing the durability of the 4/4S' back vs the 5, not that I'm going to put a case on my Phone either

White for me too. The black one is cool but lost a bit of elegance due to the lack of chrome parts.

And since I've always had a black phone, it's time for a change (and my iPad3 is white as well, so...).

Amazing looking phone either way.

Fjordson

I think I might go white for the first time here. Not sure. Still waiting for now because of the scuffing business (it's silly I know, but I can't help it).

Mairu

I don't think I could switch to white after getting a black one. The best part about black is barely noticing when apps aren't updated for the 5 since the 'letterboxing' just blends in with the whole phone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I could switch to white after getting a black one. The best part about black is barely noticing when apps aren't updated for the 5 since the 'letterboxing' just blends in with the whole phone.
I am occasionally surprised there isn't an API that developers can access that tells them what color the phone is so they could alter UI accordingly.

Would be even more interesting with new iPod touches.

lupinko

What's the word on scuffgate? It's almost enough to make me choose white over black, but I saw that the white one also gets scuffs on some youtube video. =/

I won't jump in until next month probably after the supposed October event for the new iPad mini.

siddhu33

Black looks much better. Almost like something batman would use.

What's the word on scuffgate? It's almost enough to make me choose white over black, but I saw that the white one also gets scuffs on some youtube video. =/

I won't jump in until next month probably after the supposed October event for the new iPad mini.

No scuffs on mine :p

Also, a guy on the iOS thread talked about a pretty good YouTube app called jasmine.

Clipse

I like both colors equally but went with white since I had a black 3GS and 4. If next year's model is worth upgrading to, I'll definitely go with black though.

lupinko

Well I use cases and screenprotectors (front and back on my 4, probably all the way around for the 5), so I guess as long as it's nice out of the box it's all good.

Going black, cuz there's no going back.

NYR

Go to the Apple store and compare.

I went today and all but one of the blacks had scuffs along the edge. White were flawless, but I hate the look of white personally, so I'm still going with black, it looks better. I'll just get AppleCare and see what happens...

hirokazu

I often hear that you don't need to (some people even say you shouldn't). But I still do with all my electronics about once ever two or three months, and especially right after buying it. Whether it's one of my several iPhones, a gaming handheld, my laptop, or a WiFi hotspot; I've always eeked out some better life after doing it.
You don't need to calibrate the battery anymore when you first get it, though it doesn't hurt to do so. The advantage of modern batteries is you don't need to do complete cycles of full charge to depleted all the time because they don't have the "memory" issue. But it is recommended that a complete cycle is done about once a month to keep the battery properly calibrated.

In terms of letting it deplete until no charge is left, if that happens, the battery will not be usable anymore. They build in protection so that the device will always have a small amount of charge left before it turns itself off, so there's not really any risk of a complete drain.

Some people say you it's OK to leave them plugged in all the time, but I've found this to be a sure way to kill the battery life. Best thing to do is have balance between charging and using the battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

LCfiner

You don't need to calibrate the battery anymore when you first get it, though it doesn't hurt to do so. The advantage of modern batteries is you don't need to do complete cycles of full charge to depleted all the time because they don't have the "memory" issue. But it is recommended that a complete cycle is done about once a month to keep the battery properly calibrated.

In terms of letting it deplete until no charge is left, if that happens, the battery will not be usable anymore. They build in protection so that the device will always have a small amount of charge left before it turns itself off, so there's not really any risk of a complete drain.

Some people say you it's OK to leave them plugged in all the time, but I've found this to be a sure way to kill the battery life. Best thing to do is have balance between charging and using the battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Agreed. Before I got the iMac, I had two Macbooks in a row - a white plastic 13" MB and a 15" MBPro. Both of them had to have batteries replaced after around 12 to 18 months of ownership because they couldn't hold a charge longer than a couple hours. the culprit was too few cycles as I kept them plugged in 24 hours a day (this is why I ended up getting the desktop, of course). Each one was brought in to an Apple store and the Genius bar guys diagnosed the problem and replaced the batteries.

Maybe the batteries in the unibody Macbooks are more resilient to this type of use but maybe not. I would recommend that anyone thinking of using a laptop at a desk all day to remove the power cord often and let it cycle at least once every couple days.

Anno

Ok GAF, have a weird situation that I'd like some input on. I'll list what happened below:

1) I was offered an early upgrade through my work, so I ordered a 16GB black on my current line.

2) ScuffGate started, and I decided to cancel the order and instead pre-order a white one through my AT&T store. They couldn't offer me the early upgrade, so I elected to add a $9.99/mo "ghost line" for the phone and just shove over all of my information. Included in the pre-order was a $100 non-refundable deposit.

3) Fast forward to 20 minutes ago. I get back from vacation and find the cancelled 16gb black phone in fact arrived! So now I'm trying to decide how to handle this. I can either keep this phone and try to get out of the deposit, or I can return it and wait for my white pre-order to arrive. Over the long run that would be more expensive, so I'm leaning towards keeping the black even with the scuffs.

Thoughts?

SeanR1221

I know so many people who use Otterboxes. They are ugly as hell. "But I'm so clumsy tee hee" they tell me. You're a grown ass adult, you seriously can't handle a phone?

NYR

When are the bumpers coming out?
Never.

What did you expect? A case meant to take enough damage to be thrown off a roof top on concrete isn't going to be sleek and sophisticated

In fact the carpenter I know working on my parents house uses it for his iPhone 4
There are tons of video online of people throwing iPhones off roofs with just a bumper on them and they survive.

You don't need batmobile armor to protect a phone. It doesn't protect the phone, it protects idiots from themselves.

I know so many people who use Otterboxes. They are ugly as hell. "But I'm so clumsy tee hee" they tell me. You're a grown ass adult, you seriously can't handle a phone?
QFT. My man spreading the gospel right here. Preach!

There are tons of video online of people throwing iPhones off roofs with just a bumper on them and they survive.

You don't need batmobile armor to protect a phone. It doesn't protect the phone, it protects idiots from themselves.

People like the peace of mind

Soi-Fong

Dad just bought a 64 gb Black iPhone 5 (Verizon) from HHGregg. lol Who knew that they carried one. haha

Moreso, that it was in stock!

LCfiner

I just can't wait to be caseless. I had no case with the iPhone and 3GS but felt like I needed one with the 4's back being glass.

But the iPhone 5 is much more likely to scuff, chip and scratch than the 4. if anything, the 5 would need a case to keep it looking pristine come resale time.

Yep. Black phone + dark theme mobile GAF = god mode

Top Bottom