• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Vyer

Offtopic, but I do not know where else to ask this and it's not really worth its own thread:

I cannot reset my iphone, as in erase all of the data on it. Going to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings just stalls the phone in a black screen with a little dial that spins in a circle for hours. Trying it through iTunes gives me the following:

I tried putting the phone in recovery mode and restoring through that, but I run into the same exact issue.

Anyone have any idea what I can do? This is kind of ridiculous that I cannot restore my phone..

Did you have it jail broken at one point? See if anything here helps you:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1248333

Edit: also this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3790819?start=0&tstart=0

snack

Quick questiona bout buying a BNIB iPhone 5 on craigslist. If I need to bring it into the apple store to get it fixed in the first year (of which is covered), do I need any extra documents?

Kaladin

Gruber linked to a pretty cool picture of iphone 5s flooding the fed ex sorting facility:

iphones.jpg

JTaG1.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Not bad for standing in traffic straddling a bike!
I didn't even look at the camera, just swiped across real quick and tried to balance the arrow.

That's what's so amazing about it. I've totally taken photos with a camera and stitched them together manually, and ive tried various apps that do panorama. But just like all apple interpretations of well established ideas, this one just works and is so easy that you actually end up using it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That's what's so amazing about it. I've totally taken photos with a camera and stitched them together manually, and ive tried various apps that do panorama. But just like all apple interpretations of well established ideas, this one just works and is so easy that you actually end up using it.
It's not really Apple's own interpretation, my Xperia S' camera app has done exactly this (in the same way) since I got it. But it is indeed awesome :p

For me, isopropyl alcohol worked also. Just turn off the phone then put a few drops of it in the home button and mash the button 10 - 20 times. Let it dry for 10 ,minutes then turnit back on.
This worked for me on my 4 but was broken again a few days later :( Ended up getting it repaired.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well,iwould say that just means their interpretation is just just like sonys then. Anyways linguistic semantics, etc.
Great feature. Super fun.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Well,iwould say that just means their interpretation is just just like sonys then. Anyways linguistic semantics, etc.
Great feature. Super fun.
Just sayin'. Yeah, it really is a cool feature. Building it into the camera app makes all the difference, too.

BF is finally picking up his 5 to replace his twice-dropped-and-smashed 3GS this week when we return from holiday. Can't wait to check it out.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's always better to wait. I hope they fix the scuffgate thing before December.
Eh. If they do anything to address it we can just exchange our scuff-able ones within a year.

I am not holding out, this will just end in a class action suit with a small payout or future product ala original iPod Nanos and some classics

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I dn t want to do it, because I'm a historically poor steward of threads, but I would participate in a Panoram'o'graph OT.

elsk

Banned
Eh. If they do anything to address it we can just exchange our scuff-able ones within a year.

I am not holding out, this will just end in a class action suit with a small payout or future product ala original iPod Nanos and some classics

Yeah, but I don't live in USA so I don't have that option. If I buy an iPhone 5 it will be my phone for at least 4 years so I don't want something so "weak"/poorly made.
I'll wait until December to see if they fix it, if not I may end up buying a Galaxy Nexus...

rhino4evr

After a weekend with the new phone, gotta say its awesome. If apple hadn't changed the map system it would have Been a home run for sure

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but I don't live in USA so I don't have that option. If I buy an iPhone 5 it will be my phone for at least 4 years so I don't want something so "weak"/poorly made.
I'll wait until December to see if they fix it, if not I may end up buying a Galaxy Nexus...
That is a fair enough reason, didn't know you weren't US, apologies

A few scratches and now people are saying the iPhone 5 is poorly made, despite all the drop test videos showing it's actually a very durable device?

Don't buy a car. Ever.

noah111

Still Alive
There have been some excellent Panorama apps for a long while now, that have really easy sharing options, work damn well, etc, but Apple coming along and doing it is the definition what they do. Now you'll see everyone uploading panoramas and whatnot, not because it's a new thing or that they couldn't before, but simply because it's now easily accessible enough to become a 'mainstream' thing.

I still don't get why there isn't a panorama option for the iPad, though..

Piggus

Check again :p

That asshole car passing by is probably to blame. No miracles here. But shame that it also disrupts the color congruence on that part.

I was impressed when I was using it at the game with all the people moving around. One of them was kinda funny though... See if you can spot the error in this one:

NYR

A few scratches and now people are saying the iPhone 5 is poorly made, despite all the drop test videos showing it's actually a very durable device?

Don't buy a car. Ever.
If your car had a scratch relative in size to the scuffs, right before you bought it, it would be an issue.

Also, if every single time you used your key the first week, paint chipped off near the keyhole of your door, it would be an issue.

But don't worry, your car is tested with crash test dummies and test crashes, so at least it's durable.

I used to freak out over every little scratch my car would develop when I first got it. After a while, I realized they are just a part of use and I got over them. Now I barely ever notice them.

jcm

If they're laying down fiber backhaul to the towers and LTE is much more spectrum efficient than 2G and 3G, this whole notion of "bandwidth hogs" is absolute bullshit created by the telecom industry so they can fuck you over to the tune of $10 per gigabyte. I'm a "nightmare" in terms of not letting them milk me dry for utilizing my smart phone to its full potential, but it's not like I'm actually abusing any of the infrastructure they're putting up, it can handle it just fine.

You're a nightmare because you're choosing lte over available wifi. If all of their customers do that they're screwed. That's not the usage pattern they've planned for.

elsk

Banned

Don't buy a car. Ever.

I don't really mind about scratches, it happens. I only use a screen protector on my 2G iPhone because I don't mind about the body of the phone.
But if the paint of the border of a 700$USD phone is peeling off so easily, then it sure is a design/manufacturing flaw.

Don't buy a car. Ever.

What a shitty comparison.

I work as a quality engineer for manufacturing company for products hundred times the size of an iphone. If the part isn't 100% the way it needs to be, it gets rejected. That includes scratches even for parts that costumer will never see i.e. on the inside.; and scratches smaller than that we've seen on the iphone 5.

Everything matters; you just don't know how this business works.

Top Bottom