• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Hooray, my phone shipped! It should arrive at the AT&T store on Tuesday afternoon. It's going to be sad saying goodbye to my Elevation Dock for a while... :(

I guess I should update. I went to the apple store, they had like a zillion Lightning to USB cables. Got one no problem. People were swiping em left and right but as soon as they were all gone they brought out another stack from the back.

If you want a case to help protect from scratches, that's your choice. But a cheap $18 case does degrade the look of the phone.

Depends on the case. Mine is solid black. Whether I spent 18 dollars or 1800 doesn't change the fact that it's a solid slab of a black case. Fits the phone snug and I love the look.

I'd rather my phone be degraded by a case than be degraded with scuffs, dings and dents because I insisted to go au naturale.

Finally got to play with a black iPhone 5 at my local Apple Store. Now there's no doubt in my mind that white was the way to go. The slate metal band is not as attractive as in the photos, yuck! Damage is also waaay more visible.

Hopefully they do black + silver next year since I alternate.

Zeth

I'm counting on gaf to post any interesting high quality cases that come out. I'm not a big case guy, but I'd like to get a nice one if I do. Nice to have one for travel etc.

PSGames

Ok is this normal? I have LTE turned off and been doing some wifi browsing and texting but nothing processor intensive and I'm at less than 20% after 5 hours. Battery life doesn't seem all that great.

I guess I should update. I went to the apple store, they had like a zillion Lightning to USB cables. Got one no problem. People were swiping em left and right but as soon as they were all gone they brought out another stack from the back.

Mildly frustrating. I went to my Apple Store and they said they were not selling them separately yet, but this was on launch day. Maybe I should make a return trip.

LaneDS

Some small scuffs are a lot better than a shattered rear panel.

I am not sure I agree with this, because as one of many who went naked with the 4 or 4S, I had a phone that looked almost new after two plus years. If you're responsible enough to avoid doing something like outright dropping it (something I did all of one time in the last two years, caseless, and had no issues) I'd rather a phone that held up like the 4 or 4S. The fact that after two days of gentle use I've already got a phantom scuff (more like a gash?) near the volume buttons doesn't bode well at all, and really, that's where your hands will be... I'd rather the edges be as smooth as possible.

Personal preference and all that, it's just a really, really unfortunate problem as I see it because I was excited for the 5 prior to receiving it, and now I'm just wondering if I want to commit all the money I spent on it or try another model (or color).

woober

i searched and called all around NYC today for the sprint version with no luck. I may just wait a few weeks if i cant find one by friday.

NYC-Gaf any suggestions?

The lines at the 5th ave. apple store didn't seem too long today. I'm not sure if that's because they have enough stock to keep the lines moving or if they've sold out.

CaLe

What's the best way to send a link from Chrome to the iPhone ?

Let's say I'm browsing a page on my desktop and want to continue reading it on my phone ?

Also, can Maps be viewed while offline ? If not, I might have to carry my Nexus 7 around...

Let's say I'm browsing a page on my desktop and want to continue reading it on my phone ?

If you enable chrome sync on your pc and sign into Chrome on your phone and PC you can sync tabs across devices.

mcfrank

Also, can Maps be viewed while offline ? If not, I might have to carry my Nexus 7 around...

Instapaper and Safari Reading Lists is what I use. Obviously Chrome won't work with Safari Reading List so I would go with Instapaper.

hirokazu

The great thing about the iPhone 4/4S is that the glass back is incredibly resilient unless you drop it bad enough to shatter it.

Can anybody tell me more about these InvisibleShield and Ghost Armor things? Do they protect the chamfered edge? I'm looking to get something to protect this phone but I don't like cases.

In other news, my sister's black one has a nasty scuff on the chamfer has above the front camera now. :/

CaLe

Thanks guys, I didn't think of chrome or instapaper.

Can't wait for Chrome and Sparrow to support the iPhone 5's resolution...

Tabris

Not to be a dick, but why the fuck even get any accessory with proprietary technology?
What if you want to get a Nokia in 2 years?

It's all about Bluetooth.

Well if you don't want to be a dick, don't swear :p

But the reason why is I want to be able to charge my iPhone + a more reliable alarm than the built-in software.

I have an app I'd like to redownload on my iPhone 5 that isn't showing anywhere in my purchased or "not on this iphone" list. It's called hipporemote pro. It's also still available to purchase in the App Store and has the $4.99 price next to it, instead of the iCloud icon.

Ideas?

BKXB

Economist

I like the Pocket app. Click the Pocket icon in Chrome (extension), and the link pops up in the Pocket app on your iPhone.

MasLegio

Banned
I have an app I'd like to redownload on my iPhone 5 that isn't showing anywhere in my purchased or "not on this iphone" list. It's called hipporemote pro. It's also still available to purchase in the App Store and has the $4.99 price next to it, instead of the iCloud icon.

Ideas?

make sure it is the same app and not a new version (not update) of the app. Company might have removed the original app and replaced it with another one with the same name due to a change of business model (like EA did with Tetris).

make sure it is the same app and not a new version (not update) of the app. Company might have removed the original app and replaced it with another one with the same name due to a change of business model (like EA did with Tetris).
I think they did this. What a bunch of bastards. Any way to redownload the old version or sync it from iTunes without nuking the apps already on my phone? I think it's still on my computer.

Ryaaan14

Banned
For all of those folks trying to sell their iPhone 4's with shitty home buttons:

I just asked a friend here at work in the Engineering department to let me use some electrical contact cleaner. And I shit you not, it instantly fixed my home button. It hasn't worked this perfectly since I bought the phone.

Just spray the contact cleaner on and around the home button, and mash it around so it goes in the surrounding crevice. Save yourself some money on repairs, and get more money back for your phone when you sell it. :_)

How much data do you use in a month? I've never understood some people's obsession with unlimited data for their phone. Wifi is so prevalent these days.

I've always just assumed it was a product of the "more is always better than less, even if I never use it" mindset that seems common among today's younger people.

i dunno where you are that has prevalent open wifi... it was like that years ago, but nowadays everywhere i go i see a bunch of WPA2

Gruber linked to a pretty cool picture of iphone 5s flooding the fed ex sorting facility:

iphones.jpg

Apath

Offtopic, but I do not know where else to ask this and it's not really worth its own thread:

I cannot reset my iphone, as in erase all of the data on it. Going to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings just stalls the phone in a black screen with a little dial that spins in a circle for hours. Trying it through iTunes gives me the following:
The iPhone "XXXX" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I tried putting the phone in recovery mode and restoring through that, but I run into the same exact issue.

Anyone have any idea what I can do? This is kind of ridiculous that I cannot restore my phone..

Kermy

For all of those folks trying to sell their iPhone 4's with shitty home buttons:

I just asked a friend here at work in the Engineering department to let me use some electrical contact cleaner. And I shit you not, it instantly fixed my home button. It hasn't worked this perfectly since I bought the phone.

Just spray the contact cleaner on and around the home button, and mash it around so it goes in the surrounding crevice. Save yourself some money on repairs, and get more money back for your phone when you sell it. :_)

For me, isopropyl alcohol worked also. Just turn off the phone then put a few drops of it in the home button and mash the button 10 - 20 times. Let it dry for 10 ,minutes then turnit back on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
i need to make a 'panoramagram' photo sharing type app... would get soooo many users... then sell out to private investors for a fat wad of cash
I tried taking one all the way down a city block while riding my bike but it kinda glitched out.

Top Bottom