• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

elsk

Banned
I may not, but judging by the number of phones Apple is selling even after all the scuffgate reports, it looks like they know how this business works a whole lot more than you do.

Most people don't know or don't care about those details. Not everyone is looking macrumors, you know. And Apple will continue to sell any shit they release, that doesn't mean the iPhone 5 is well made because so far it isn't.

I may not, but judging by the number of phones Apple is selling even after all the scuffgate reports, it looks like they know how this business works a whole lot more than you do.

Manufacturing, not marketing. Big difference.

People buy shitty headphones for $300 even though it's no different than the quality of headphones for $10; that doesn't change the fact that marketing will always dominate manufacturing side of things as no one sees that side of the product.

Most people don't know or don't care about those details. Not everyone is looking macrumors, you know. And Apple will continue to sell any shit their release, that doesn't mean the iPhone 5 is well made because so far it isn't.
So, scratch prone = poorly made, even though it can take several falls like a champ.

Got it.

Oh, let me guess. Everything Apple makes is crap and the only reason their products sell is because of marketing, correct?

Just trying to gauge your level of delusion before continuing this conversation.

I want to know what $10 headphones you use O_O

Creative EP-610.

So, scratch prone = poorly made, even though it can take several falls like a champ.

Got it.

Oh, let me guess. Everything Apple makes is crap and the only reason their products sell is because of marketing, correct?

Just trying to gauge your level of delusion before continuing this conversation.

Oh my. Arguing with you serves no purpose. I didn't say everything apple makes is crap. Did I say that? I have owned every single iPhone out there; it doesn't change the fact that the quality isn't top notch. Drop test is not the same as finishing.

Do you REALLY think Apple made these phones and said "You know what? Let's just fuck up the anodizing and see what happens. It'll be fun seeing the customer open the product and see the scratches on them".

Recon

Banned

People buy shitty headphones for $300 even though it's no different than the quality of headphones for $10; that doesn't change the fact that marketing will always dominate manufacturing side of things as no one sees that side of the product.

I would love to know what $10 headphones are beating out $300 ones. There is hyperbole, and then there is nonsense.

Necrovex

The biggest reason why Apple products sell so well is the marketing.

I would love to know what $10 headphones are beating out $300 ones. There is hyperbole, and then there is nonsense.

As I said: Creative EP-610. I prefer them over any of the beats Earbuds/headphones. I own them both. Personal preference.

(Audio Technica headphones are still the best IMO. No, they are not $10, they are $150).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright, so I chronicled my iPhone 5's battery life today after doing a full-blown calibration the night before.

Black, 16GB, AT&T iPhone 5
Set up as a "new phone."
Brightness at 100%, but with auto-adjust on
Wi-Fi On at all times (and used when in my home)
LTE Data On at all times (and used anytime not in my home)
All Location Services On
Push email for five accounts, fetch for one (gmail) set to fetch every hour
Pretty much everything "maxed" except that Bluetooth was off

Immediately after removing the cable this morning, I pushed it hard to see how fast it would drop a percentage. With mildly heavy internet browsing, texting, and emailing, it lasted a full 30 minutes before dropping a percent.

8018428352_d5d622e19b_z.jpg

While using it off-and on at home for continued internet browsing, the battery did pretty well. When I finally left my house and Wifi got disconnected, this is where I was at:

8018428694_80259e2aa1_z.jpg

And so I went straight to mildly heavy internet browsing again, but this time on LTE while driving. WOW! LTE eats battery life... just destroys it! I dropped 4% in less than ten minutes on LTE. Remember, earlier I eeked 30 minutes out of just 1% using Wifi.

8018424743_19ac310407_z.jpg

From there out, I used GPS/maps to find a Sonic Drive-Thru; signal was good and I was in the maps app for about 10 minutes. Otherwise, I was only using internet and email. I snagged a screenshot when I hit 50% battery life around 5pm.

8018429546_3420b61920_z.jpg

Back to WiFi once I get home. By this time, I've eaten through about 2/3rds of the battery:

8018425261_9f0fcfb3eb_z.jpg

... but notice it goes back to doing fine once on WiFi again:

8018425457_3b3c8ddbcc_z.jpg

And finally, I snapped one picture before cradling my phone for good:

8018430310_87839dc254_z.jpg

5:11 of usage
13:29 of standby
19% remaining

Note: I had my phone plugged in for about two minutes to sync over some ringtones, and that's why the notice is on some of the later screens. It did NOT bump up a percentage when plugged in for that short time.

My takeaway? If you tone back some of your settings - brightness at <50%, Location Services off, etc; the phone should pretty easily last a full day of average use. Factor in some games, and you should be okay but it'll cut it close.

But LTE is just a massive battery drain. We all knew this, but I was hoping it'd be better. I'm fairly certain if you were on WiFi all day and only used "4G" data, you'd do significantly better. So if your battery life is important, don't click that LTE button and don't bother with GPS.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm not talking about scratches, I don't really mind scratches. But I do mind paint peeling off on a new product and overpriced product.

I'm not arguing with your point... but "overpriced" is stretching it.

Most every smartphone at release is $200 or more at launch. And save for the Galaxy Nexus, most flagship phones are in the ~$600 range unsubsidized, too.

I'm not talking about scratches, I don't really mind scratches. But I do mind paint peeling off on a new product and overpriced product.

I really don't mind scratches either but saying that it is acceptable is ridiculous. I'm sure it's also unacceptable to Apple and didn't expect it.

Remember the call drops in iPhone 4? Did Apple expected it? They didn't. They fixed it by giving away free case to all users.

No one expects to sell products with non-conformance.

elsk

Banned
I'm not arguing with your point... but "overpriced" is stretching it.

Most every smartphone at release is $200 or more at launch. And save for the Galaxy Nexus, most flagship phones are in the ~$600 range unsubsidized, too.

Have you seen how much profit they make from every iPhone? It's insane. They could easily sell it for $400 unsubsidized and still make a great profit. Apple just liked easy money from selling the phone locked.

It is overpriced.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Not really fair to compare the time it takes to drop from 100% to 99% vs other drops.

That particular change always seems to take longer on every iOS device I've owned. Especially on my iPad which likes to stay on 100% for longer than it seems it should.

noah111

Still Alive
The back isn't what seems to scratch, on the contrary it's quite resistant. It's only the angled edge (which doesn't seem to be the same type of anodized aluminum) that can get skimmed, revealing the pure metal underneath.

I'd still be it's better to use caseless than the 4/S was.

LaneDS

A few scratches and now people are saying the iPhone 5 is poorly made, despite all the drop test videos showing it's actually a very durable device?

Don't buy a car. Ever.

I know it's probably a bad place to voice such an unpopular opinion, but the edges being so easily scuffed, to me, is a sign of the thing being poorly made. Very much not inline with my expectations of an iPhone after four years of using them.

Skel1ingt0n

Not really fair to compare the time it takes to drop from 100% to 99% vs other drops.

That particular change always seems to take longer on every iOS device I've owned. Especially on my iPad which likes to stay on 100% for longer than it seems it should.

Oh I completely agree, it's not linear at all. I'm just showing what's typical; as this morning a lot of people were questioning if their battery life was "normal" or not.

EDIT: That said, my 4S and 3GS before it always dropped from 100% in a matter of minutes. Can't comment on my iPad; haven't really paid attention (since I charge it irregularly).

elsk

Banned
I know it's probably a bad place to voice such an unpopular opinion, but the edges being so easily scuffed, to me, is a sign of the thing being poorly made. Very much not inline with my expectations of an iPhone after four years of using them.

Exactly.

Oh my. Arguing with you serves no purpose. I didn't say everything apple makes is crap. Did I say that? I have owned every single iPhone out there; it doesn't change the fact that the quality isn't top notch. Drop test is not the same as finishing.
Arguing with me serves no purpose and yet, you think the reason Apple is successful is all marketing...

Being scratch doesn't automatically mean crappily made, period.

securedownload_zps45fcedb6.jpg

Oh no, look at my iPods from 6 years ago! The backs scratch so easily, thus this must mean they're poorly made. I mean, nevermind the fact that they're two of the most reliable gadgets I've ever owned. Nope, they're obviously defective.

There we go. Hey, at least now you're not pretending to be unbias or a "neutral but concerned" poster.

Have you seen how much profit they make from every iPhone? It's insane. They could easily sell it for $400 unsubsidized and still make a great profit. Apple just liked easy money from selling the phone locked.

It is overpriced.

No, overpriced would mean that no one is buying it. Since Apple is selling millions of them, many consumers find it a great value for their money.

elsk

Banned
No, overpriced would mean that no one is buying it. Since Apple is selling millions of them, many consumers find it a great value for their money.

Would they sell that much if buyers had to pay the full price of the phone (650$USD)? I doubt it. And no, your statement of "overpriced would mean that no one is buying it" makes no sense at all.

But anyway, I'm ok paying 650$USD for the phone if it's well made but it isn't (at least for now).

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
When I get mine I'm gonna take 1200 grit sandpaper to the chamfered edges. Then a buffing cloth/wheel with some Flitz. Bam, polished. Fuck Scuffgate.

No I'm not, because I don't give a fuck.

Outside of units being scratched out of the box, this whole "scuffgate" crap is really overblown. If you got one without any scratches, you should be able to keep it scratch free by just treating it properly.

numble

Would they sell that much if buyers had to pay the full price of the phone (650$USD)? I doubt it.

The market price is higher than the price Apple is charging for the phone. I've tried for the last week to get an iPhone 5 even though I live in a launch country.

Look how much scalpers are paying just to collect them from buyers (divide by 7.75 to get the US $ amount):
http://www.iphone4hongkong.com/2012/09/2012-09-23-iphone5.html

They charge even more if you want to buy from them.

When I get mine I'm gonna take 1200 grit sandpaper to the chamfered edges. Then a buffing cloth/wheel with some Flitz. Bam, polished. Fuck Scuffgate.

No I'm not, because I don't give a fuck.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Definitely an easy way to restore it if it gets too scratched.

Vyer

Not dismissing scuffgate, but calling easily scuffed edges the equivalent of a 'poorly made product' seems a bit hyperbolic.

Outside of units being scratched out of the box, this whole "scuffgate" crap is really overblown. If you got one without any scratches, you should be able to keep it scratch free by just treating it properly.

eh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. If it is a case of the scuffs happening too easily, that's a fair complaint.

Would they sell that much if buyers had to pay the full price of the phone (650$USD)? I doubt it. And no, your statement of "overpriced would mean that no one is buying it" makes no sense at all.

But anyway, I'm ok paying 650$USD for the phone if it's well made but it isn't (at least for now).

What? Obviously at the price now, ($200, $300, $400) people are buying the iPhone in droves. No shit if you increased the price by $200 people would find it overpriced and buy less of it.

Lima

You can buy them subsidized in every country. Not sure what your problem is. This phone isn't cheaper in the US (well unlocked it is cheaper by about $50.)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I don't know. The original iPhone did quite well and it wasn't subsidized (not to mention an almost brand new market). It had a price drop as well but reached a million in sales in just the US a few days later.
I do think the value is there for people.

I will buy the 64 GB iPhone 5 in a couple of weeks for $400 and not feel ripped. I'm not going to demand Apple sell it to me at 150% of the manufacturing costs or something like that. I am going to expect them to sell it to me at a price I think is reasonable. The memory price hike is my only gripe. But I must have 64 GB because more storage space is always my weakness.

LaneDS

Treating the phone just as I treated my 3 and 4, and I had a noticeable gash after one day of use. By your example, it would suggest I don't know how to treat my technology properly, but I've had no issues with just about any of my devices in the past.

The black iPhone 5 edges are going to look rough weeks and months from now if people go caseless.

Treating the phone just as I treated my 3 and 4, and I had a noticeable gash after one day of use. By your example, it would suggest I don't know how to treat my technology properly, but I've had no issues with just about any of my devices in the past.

The black iPhone 5 edges are going to look rough weeks and months from now if people go caseless.

Did you drop it or allow it to be in contact with any edged/sharp objects?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Did you drop it or allow it to be in contact with any edged/sharp objects?
Anodized metal shouldn't scratch that easily period if done well. I've lots of anodized metal accessories that take much more abuse than movement in a box or simply laying on hard surfaces.
I'd expect the iPhone to be better than dime a dozen aluminum toys that do get scratched up easily.

Anodized metal shouldn't scratch that easily period if done well. I've lots of anodized metal accessories that take much more abuse than movement in a box or simply laying on hard surfaces.
I'd expect the iPhone to be better than dime a dozen aluminum toys that do get scratched up easily.

Edges will scratch though. I have this flashlight on my keychain and it gets knocked around like crazy. I've dropped it countless times and it's always getting mixed in with my keys and change. Only the edges on it have scratched The edge is going to be a weaker point in these cases.

31LJVO1i6lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

reKon

Banned
What counts as usage under the battery stats when using your iPhone?

Is that like the on screen time? Or does it count things like listening to music?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Edges will scratch though. I have this flashlight on my keychain and it gets knocked around like crazy. I've dropped it countless times and it's always getting mixed in with my keys and change. Only the edges on it have scratched The edge is going to be a weaker point in these cases.

31LJVO1i6lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I can agree with that but I'm seeing people/pictures complain of scratches to the main surface areas as well.

We'll see when I get mine next month. Went with black.

hirokazu

OK, my sister's been carrying her black one in a soft pouch, well looked after and already it's got two big scuffs above the earpiece and about other four small ones, all of them occurred on the chamfer.

I'm thinking of taking it into the Apple Store to see if they'll replace it. Does AppleCare cover this? It's pretty shitty that it scuffs so easily. Do I need to book a Genius Bar appointment for this?

My white one, on the other hand, is doing fine so far.

If your sister intends to keep her phone mixed in her bag with all of her other belongings, she's always going to have a scratched iPhone. No helping her no matter how many times she exchanges it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If your sister intends to keep her phone mixed in her bag with all of her other belongings, she's always going to have a scratched iPhone. No helping her no matter how many times she exchanges it.
He said its in a soft pouch inside the bag. It shouldn't be banging on other hard surfaces.

Top Bottom