• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LaneDS

Did you drop it or allow it to be in contact with any edged/sharp objects?

I didn't. I was aware of "scuffgate" since before receiving mine on Friday and have handled it very gently (which sucks, to be honest, because after years of no case iPhone usage for my last two, to have to even worry about that sort of thing is... wrong? Feels wrong to me.). If I had to guess, I'd say it got scuffed from when it went on one car ride with me. In the past, my phone would go (securely) into my center console where it would function as both music player and map, and while I never had an issue with the previous iPhones, I think that's where it earned its gash.

I know some are going to say that because of that scenario (which was fine for the past four years!) I somehow can't take care of my stuff, but I personally think it's ridiculous how easily the edges get dinged up. The insides of the phone are clearly top-notch, but this is a massive oversight and the first time I've considered returning an iPhone.

bonesquad

OK, my sister's been carrying her black one in a soft pouch, well looked after and already it's got two big scuffs above the earpiece and about other four small ones, all of them occurred on the chamfer.

I'm thinking of taking it into the Apple Store to see if they'll replace it. Does AppleCare cover this? It's pretty shitty that it scuffs so easily. Do I need to book a Genius Bar appointment for this?

My white one, on the other hand, is doing fine so far.

Does your sister wear earrings? It's way too early for me to comment on scuffs one way or another, but so far the only scratch I have is the one the phone came with.

#teamblack

hirokazu

Does your sister wear earrings? It's way too early for me to comment on scuffs one way or another, but so far the only scratch I have is the one the phone came with.

#teamblack

No, she doesn't wear earrings.

If your sister intends to keep her phone mixed in her bag with all of her other belongings, she's always going to have a scratched iPhone. No helping her no matter how many times she exchanges it.

As I said, it's been well looked after, so it's a little disconcerting that it's got several scuffs after less than three days. Scratches and things are part of normal wear and tear which is fine, we have no issue with that. It's just concerning that this is the state of the phone after three days and it hasn't been mistreated.

I was aware of the scuffgate reviews prior to Friday, but I was hoping it would be isolated. It seems to be the black coating is really thin on the chamfer to let the mirror finish show through and that's what's causing it to come off so easily. The sides and back which have a matte finish seem like they'll hold up superbly and I'm not concerned about those at all.

I believe you have 30 days to exchange or return your iPhone, then a year to cover any mechanical problems that may arise.

Thanks. I'll see what happens. If they refuse to budge on replacing it, we'll be disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That or cheap 30 pin to Lightning adaptors. No need for the DAC and stuff, just purely for charging purposes. Wonder if monoprice is on it yet...
All the eBay auctions for knock off Lightning cables say they're shipping early October.
You can pre-buy the cables and adapters there.

Here's the cheapest Lightning cable: $9.30 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-Appl...255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1cc70f37

Adapter for $10 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-5-Li...234398?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19d581c69e

There is a misunderstanding about what anodized metal is. It isn't a coat that comes off like paint. It's coloring that is bonded into the metal. The metal has to actually come off in order for the paint to come off. Edges on metal objects get scuffed. It's not that the anodized coloring is cheap there. Even if they made it a perfectly right angle, you'd still see scuffs because of the angle. There's no going around this with anodized metal. The same would happen to the top and bottom of the iPod nano.

Clipse

Verizon users, what do your data speeds look like? Do these speeds seem right to you? I'm in the South Jersey/Philly area.

jc2GahtiEYikI.jpg

Been reading reports on slow WiFi speed due to hardware defects and I'm getting a little paranoid. Not sure what to make of my low LTE speeds though, maybe just bad reception?

elsk

Banned
I don't know. The original iPhone did quite well and it wasn't subsidized (not to mention an almost brand new market). It had a price drop as well but reached a million in sales in just the US a few days later.
I do think the value is there for people.

I bought my OG iPhone for 399$ in 2007, a great price IMO. It would be a great price to buy an iPhone 5 for 399$, but for 650$USD I do feel it's overpriced.

hirokazu

There is a misunderstanding about what anodized metal is. It isn't a coat that comes off like paint. It's coloring that is bonded into the metal. The metal has to actually come off in order for the paint to come off. Edges on metal objects get scuffed. It's not that the anodized coloring is cheap there. Even if they made it a perfectly right angle, you'd still see scuffs because of the angle. There's no going around this with anodized metal. The same would happen to the top and bottom of the iPod nano.

You seem to keep brushing it off and making it sound like it's the customer's fault and/or that this is all expected.

Like I've said, I understand normal wear and tear. I also understand the metal back of an iPod getting scratched to hell when put in bags, pockets etc. But if this is normal for three days even though it's been protected, then this phone is gonna look like crap after two years no matter what the customer does.

When you say this will also happen to the iPod nano, sure, but at the same time, I don't expect it to happen after three days when it's been handled carefully, and that's what I'm getting at.

Arguing with me serves no purpose and yet, you think the reason Apple is successful is all marketing...

Being scratch doesn't automatically mean crappily made, period.

securedownload_zps45fcedb6.jpg

Oh no, look at my iPods from 6 years ago! The backs scratch so easily, thus this must mean they're poorly made. I mean, nevermind the fact that they're two of the most reliable gadgets I've ever owned. Nope, they're obviously defective.

There we go. Hey, at least now you're not pretending to be unbias or a "neutral but concerned" poster.

Did you buy them with scratches already in it? Did you?! Tell me a product you bought out of the box that has scratches on them. I can only think of one right now...

I guess wear and tear means nothing anymore.

Did you buy them with scratches already in it? Did you?! Tell me a product you bought out of the box that has scratches on them. I can only think of one right now...

I guess wear and tear means nothing anymore.
My white iPod did have a scratch out of the box, and got dozens more by the end of the first week. Chrome finish tends to get scratched.

Zero fucks given, it still works like charm after all these years.

EDIT:

I think you're missing the point though. I'm not saying people can't complain about scratches. I'm saying equating being scratch-prone to poorly built is stupid. The iPhone 4 and 4S could break if dropped once, and yet their excellent build quality can't be denied.

elsk

Banned
My white iPod did have a scratch out of the box, and got dozens more by the end of the first week. Chrome finish tends to get scratched.

EDIT:

I think you're missing the point though. I'm not saying people can't complain about scratches. I'm saying equating being scratch-prone to poorly built is stupid. The iPhone 4 and 4S could break if dropped once, and yet their excellent build quality can't be denied.

Again, there's a huge difference between normal scratches and "scuffgate" on the iPhone5:

black-iphone-5-scuff-oppressed-macrumors.jpg

My iPhone 2G has scratches and I don't have a problem, but in 5 years I've never seen something like in the ^picture.

iPhone 1- "It looks nice, but the aluminum scratches too easily"

iPhone 3G/3GS- "It doesn't scratch, but it feels so cheap and plastic"

iPhone 4/4S- "It doesn't feel cheap, but it shatters when I drop it"

iPhone 5- "It is a lot more durable, but the edges scratch easily"

There is no design that won't be picked apart.

Again, there's a huge difference between normal scratches and "scuffgate" on the iPhone5.
No, not really.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, though.

iPhone 1- "It looks nice, but the aluminum scratches too easily"

iPhone 3G/3GS- "It doesn't scratch, but it feels so cheap and plastic"

iPhone 4/4S- "It doesn't feel cheap, but it shatters when I drop it"

iPhone 5- "It is a lot more durable, but the edges scratch easily"

There is no design that won't be picked apart.
Yup.

EDIT:

Definitely agree that design quality is greater than exterior quality. Nothing in this world is scratch-proof and everything suffers from wear and tear. There is no denying that it is a problem for Apple as its a bad rep for them.

Number45

The Sena Ultraslim leather pouch is pretty sexy. Too bad they're not available for another month..
Nooo... this might affect when I buy the phone. :(

Anodized metal shouldn't scratch that easily period if done well. I've lots of anodized metal accessories that take much more abuse than movement in a box or simply laying on hard surfaces.
I'd expect the iPhone to be better than dime a dozen aluminum toys that do get scratched up easily.
Check the video posted a couple of pages back. Guys scratches the back properly with some keys and it rubs right off.

Mairu

Man, back to scuffgate defending... I don't think it's a huge deal, but that video showing the comparison between the 4/4S and the 5 makes me prefer the glass back to what we got. That thing was super durable, and my 4 that I'm getting rid of looks about the same as the day I got it (with some fingerprints that could easily be cleaned off)

elsk

Banned
Man, back to scuffgate defending... I don't think it's a huge deal, but that video showing the comparison between the 4/4S and the 5 makes me prefer the glass back to what we got. That thing was super durable, and my 4 that I'm getting rid of looks about the same as the day I got it (with some fingerprints that could easily be cleaned off)

Yeah, my iPhone 2G still looks great too. Just some minor scratches on the back. And that's after 5 years of heavy use.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
EDIT:

Maybe not 'poorly built' but more 'using such an easily scratchable material on the surround of the phone wasn't the best design choice for real world use.'

ChanHuk

Banned
this post is just bizarre lol

I'm just saying there's more important things than a phone. Especially those crying over little scuffs/scratches. A car costs more and just as important, yet its more neglected I have a white 5 and still rather have a black 5. Actually as soon as Best Buy gets my preorder in finally, I'll return my white one to AT&T and pick up the black one.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nooo... this might affect when I buy the phone. :(

Check the video posted a couple of pages back. Guys scratches the back properly with some keys and it rubs right off.
Will do. Right now I'm only going off what I've read and seen from users, but no tests or personal experience as I'm waiting for shipment.
I read this on another forum, looks like scuffgate fix for the Black iPhone5?

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Pro...roductID=59279d6c-0bd0-467e-9c92-9c6654bb60b0

lol I am actually thinking about getting these too. =/
Dang, I actually might get that for the edges if need be as those will scratch.

noah111

Still Alive
What? :lol The back isn't even what's the problem, those scuffs just get rubbed off. The issue is with the frame bit that connects the side edge with the glass front and back.

If I get a lot of scratches on it, I can easily clean it off for $5-$10. I consider that a solution to a cosmetic problem caused from usage.

LaneDS

Using the phone itself is a pretty great experience I'll say. Even though I had no complaints about the speed of the 4, everything is so much snappier that it makes for a very enjoyable experience. I might be imagining it, but I feel like the speakers on the device are an improvement from the 4 as well. Spent some time tonight playing Infinity Blade which I had bought ages ago and neglected and found it, even letterboxed, to be super impressive on the 5.

Going to try a local Verizon store tomorrow and see about exchanged this black model for a white one; I figure that'll provide me with a bit more peace of mind on the scuffing issue at least.

I might be imagining it, but I feel like the speakers on the device are an improvement from the 4 as well.
Nope, they are absolutely louder. By a lot. I remember reading rumors that it'd be much louder a long time ago and really looking forward to the improved speakers and as soon as the casing leaked and we saw the new bigger grill I knew it'd be true.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nice. The best iOS feature and I can benefit from it as an non-iOS user.

I get to look at a lot more pretty panoramas (posted on the internet) now :D

MasLegio

Banned
I think they did this. What a bunch of bastards. Any way to redownload the old version or sync it from iTunes without nuking the apps already on my phone? I think it's still on my computer.

If they have removed the old version you can no longer download it from the app store. It is lost forever. If you have it in the itunes app library on your computer it should be as easy to just add the app to iphone in iTunes. This is why you always should sync iphone to itunes people. Backups of your apps.

Gruber linked to a pretty cool picture of iphone 5s flooding the fed ex sorting facility:

iphones.jpg

well, I think the image was originally taken by a gaf member working at fed ex and posted in this very thread.

Again, there's a huge difference between normal scratches and "scuffgate" on the iPhone5:

black-iphone-5-scuff-oppressed-macrumors.jpg

My iPhone 2G has scratches and I don't have a problem, but in 5 years I've never seen something like in the ^picture.

This is why I hate painted/layered metal, chips are much more obvious because the colour underneath is much brighter :(

I can't upgrade until december but I am really thinking about a white 5 so I don't have to put up with that kind of stuff, but I hate having a white front to phones.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Dutch-GAF listen up. Coolblue is offering a great deal on iPhone 5 right now on Vodafone with the Altijd 1000 Package.

€108 for the device instead of the standard €309 on every other website. I just got my pre-order in.

Cyport

Someone up there must not want me to get this phone.

I pre-ordered on the 14th, got an email from Orange on the 21st to say they needed a fax of my address for proof. Why email me too late I don't know. I faxed them but the number didn't exist and it was too late to call so I have had to wait till today to call only for them to repeat the same fax number and act as if I'm stupid so I just said I'm cancelling which is done. I've now joined T-Mobile for the same price with unlimited internet (fair use) as opposed to 1gb cap.

Doesn't stop there though! My order wouldn't work because my bank rejected it so I spoke to the bank and for some reason T-Mobile came up as fraud. Took me about an hour to get through to the fraud department on the phone. I've sorted the bank and called T-Mobile to re-order and I'm still waiting for confirmation email, it's been 30 minutes and I was told it'd be 10.

:(

eastmen

Banned
I'm just saying there's more important things than a phone. Especially those crying over little scuffs/scratches. A car costs more and just as important, yet its more neglected I have a white 5 and still rather have a black 5. Actually as soon as Best Buy gets my preorder in finally, I'll return my white one to AT&T and pick up the black one.

The scratches on the iphone 5 taken directly from packaging are pretty glaring. Its akin to a car with huge scratches on all its doors . With that said I have never seen someone buy a brand new car with all its doors scratched to hell and back.

Cars are taken very good care of on the lot , most dealers wash cars at least once a day.

Once you buy a car you obviously don't want scratches but considering your driving them around at 60+ mph and leaving them in big parking lots stuff happens.

They aren't a phone fresh from packaging or a phone you keep in a protective case.

Also a phone being scratched up in its packing is certianly a build quality issue. The last time apple released a product this prone to scratching the japanese goverment was sane and required apple to replace the nano's . Lets hope that apple does a recall on this and everyone gets a replacement phone without these obvious build quality issues.

Top Bottom