• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

PSGames

Am I the only one with no scuffs or scratches? I'm very anal about keeping my things in pristine condition. Been using the phone naked all weekend with not a single scratch or scuff.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Am I the only one with no scuffs or scratches? I'm very anal about keeping my things in pristine condition. Been using the phone naked all weekend with not a single scratch or scuff.

Mine came in flawless condition, and still seems to look that way. Dedicated pocket for it, no dangling around with keys or anything, but otherwise not super babying it and it's lookin' damn good. I still take a few moments to appreciate it whenever I take it out.

You're not alone.

Edit: Just thought I saw my first scuff, little white spot wouldn't come off with my finger. Rubbed it with a microfibre cloth and it came straight off, not the first time that's happened either.

Tobor

Day 4, still no scratches or scuffs. If its a manufacturing problem, I seem to gave gotten a good one.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
wow you should be happy that you have not killed anyone yet.
YOLO much?

Lol, no. Sorry I should have been more clear. My SISTER was driving the vehicle; I was in the passenger seat ;)

def sim

I'm not very careful with mine and it's still perfectly fine. Worrying about a phone I use everyday sounds like a huge hassle.

Caseless and black, btw.

No scuffs, and I'm buying this case from Fab.com called Luminum.

RgLNY.jpg

X-Frame

AT&T LTE is twice as fast (15mbps) as Verizon LTE (7-8mbps) from my iPad 3 in Midtown, Manhattan next to Bryant Park. Nice!

Unlimited AT&T too. :) Now to test if it gets slow and congested during peak lunch hours or not ...

Oxn

Mine came in flawless condition, and still seems to look that way. Dedicated pocket for it, no dangling around with keys or anything, but otherwise not super babying it and it's lookin' damn good. I still take a few moments to appreciate it whenever I take it out.

Me2

I bought 2 white ones, one for me one for my sis.

Been naked the entire weekend, with it in my pockets and still in the condition I got it at.

hirokazu

I read this on another forum, looks like scuffgate fix for the Black iPhone5?

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Pro...roductID=59279d6c-0bd0-467e-9c92-9c6654bb60b0

lol I am actually thinking about getting these too. =/
Interesting, I'll go check out the hardware store sometime.

5 mill ain't too shabby. Pretty sure that's a million higher than the 4S.

Definitely, I was just expecting 8 million but I guess all those analysts were wrong again!

sangreal

If they could produce that many. They sold everything they were able to build.

That's not really true either. They sold out of preorders, but it isn't that hard to find the phone in stores, and they have plenty of replacements on hand for damaged phones. Even the late preorder shipping dates from both apple and the carries have been bumped up

Doesn't really matter anyway, 5 million is a huge number of phones and nothing anyone should be disappointed about

giga

That's not really true either. They sold out of preorders, but it isn't that hard to find the phone in stores, and they have plenty of replacements on hand for damaged phones. Even the late preorder shipping dates from both apple and the carries have been bumped up

Doesn't really matter anyway, 5 million is a huge number of phones and nothing anyone should be disappointed about
None of my local apple stores have the base 16 (white or black) that I want. Online says 3-4 weeks…

This part is pretty impressive:

and more than 100 million iOS devices have been updated with iOS 6

hirokazu

I'm just saying there's more important things than a phone. Especially those crying over little scuffs/scratches. A car costs more and just as important, yet its more neglected I have a white 5 and still rather have a black 5. Actually as soon as Best Buy gets my preorder in finally, I'll return my white one to AT&T and pick up the black one.
Fun y how you say people are crying over scuffs and scratches when it's just a phone and then you can't wait to swap your own perfectly good white one for a black one.

Bu..bu..but it's just a phone! What matter does a ton of scratches around the side make!

Bu..bu..but it's just a phone! What matter does the colour of it make!

C'mon guys, what's wrong with people being a little concerned that their brand new phone that they'll be using for the next two years is exhibiting excessive wear after just three to four days, some even out of the box? It's not a case of "Ooops, I don't know where I dinged this bit, oh well" every three months, it's "Oh what the hell, these scuffs keep coming from nowhere!"

I can understand that it's dumb when some people are unreasonable about the inevitable scratch or whatever. I've stressed several times that this isn't what I'm seeing with my sister's black unit. There are some of you who maybe aren't experiencing it who are way dismissive about other people's problems for whatever reason.

X-Frame

How come my iPhone 5 doesn't charge when connected to my Dell desktop at work but my iPhone 4 and 4S did? I need to use the wall plug.

hirokazu

How come my iPhone 5 doesn't charge when connected to my Dell desktop at work but my iPhone 4 and 4S did? I need to use the wall plug.
Sounds like it may be drawing more power than the iPhone 4/4S and the Dell doesn't provide enough power for it to charge. Have you tried some other USB ports in the same PC, other PCs at work, etc?

Anno

Apparently phones that are in transit but not yet signed for are not counted in this number, at least according to CNBC. Curious how many of those there could be.

sangreal

Apparently phones that are in transit but not yet signed for are not counted in this number, at least according to CNBC. Curious how many of those there could be.

Mine comes tomorrow, so that's 1 :)

Wishing I ordered a white one though, after playing with a friend's black model yesterday

Lima

Seems like they can produce more than they thought. My replacement( I have a black one with scuffs) just shipped and should be here by the end of the week according to the email.

They originally said that it would arrive in the first week of October. Yay.

Hari Seldon

These fucking replacements are holding up my pre-order damnit. I should have pre-ordered from the ATT store, I pre-ordered Sept 17th and the ship date hasn't changed yet.

Zeth

Just experienced a really weird bug. Got a text and my lock screen blew up to a resolution that made everything too big to fit on screen. I couldn't slide the button far enough to unlock so I had to hard reset. Took some screenshots, will post.

Edit: damn, screenshot captured like normal, should've taken pic with different camera.

rinse82

Well - glad I'm not the only one with wifi issues as threads are starting to pop up at macrumors and the apple support forum

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1449688

Took it to the Apple Store yesterday, did a restore, brought it home and same shit. Taking it back today for an exchange.

I don't buy software issue as a reason as my wife got an iPhone as well and her wifi has been flawless at home.

Septimius

Have you seen how much profit they make from every iPhone? It's insane. They could easily sell it for $400 unsubsidized and still make a great profit. Apple just liked easy money from selling the phone locked.

It is overpriced.

This comes before economics 101:
Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. You can't really say it's overpriced, because they're the most selling phone in the world. Everyone and their grandma is willing to pay what it costs. That's not overpriced.

Sure, you can say it feels overpriced, since the competitors are pricing it differently, even if you had a perfect comparison of same production cost and R&D. But Apple is evil because people are willing to pay? Apple has had a fantastic pricing strategy over the last 10 years, and you can do nothing but applaud them for the fact that people are willing to pay this much for a brand.

jts

...hate me...
9MCNa.png

Next Friday launch-GAF, please report. Does anyone have any idea when Apple is putting the iPhone 5 up for pre-order (if they are at all) online? I suppose it's the same for everyone of us. Less then 1 week for launch dammit :/

iPhone 5: 5 million in 3 days
Galaxy S3: 20 million in 100 days

Gonna be close!

Am I the only one who finds those GS3 numbers highly suspicious? I know one person who owns one, but with sales like that I should certainly know more.

Hey, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of where I could buy one today, because everything I've personally heard and seen on the internet says you're completely wrong about that.

Meh, folks preorder 3 phones at At&t and they shipped only one so far, the other two no one knows when will ship. The one that shipped was the white one, but our 2 black models are not going yet :(

Whats point of preordering if it didn't gaurantee anything and people were buying from At&t without preorders?

Radec

Anyone seen a Bumper case yet ?

I tend to drop my phone alot and a having a bumper case on my GSII save it bigtime. It just bounce lol

Top Bottom