• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

SuperPac

Am I the only one who finds those GS3 numbers highly suspicious? I know one person who owns one, but with sales like that I should certainly know more.

I know one person who owns one as well. They're likely worldwide numbers and Samsung is big in foreign markets. I wonder if it's shipped or sold through. Apple's numbers are usually sold through. But yeah, 20 mil in 100 days is quite high.

LeleSocho

Banned
9MCNa.png

Next Friday launch-GAF, please report. Does anyone have any idea when Apple is putting the iPhone 5 up for pre-order (if they are at all) online? I suppose it's the same for everyone of us. Less then 1 week for launch dammit :/

ItalyGAF here and still no preorders :/

bionic77

Am I the only one who finds those GS3 numbers highly suspicious? I know one person who owns one, but with sales like that I should certainly know more.
Not suspicious. As someone else pointed out Samsung is huge overseas and Apple still has not been able to penetrate every carrier or every market.

9MCNa.png

Next Friday launch-GAF, please report. Does anyone have any idea when Apple is putting the iPhone 5 up for pre-order (if they are at all) online? I suppose it's the same for everyone of us. Less then 1 week for launch dammit :/

There won't be pre-orders, it will be in the store on the 28th.
I talked to Apple on Saturday to confirm this.

Wiz

Anyone seen a Bumper case yet ?

I tend to drop my phone alot and a having a bumper case on my GSII save it bigtime. It just bounce lol
I bought a bumper case the other day from radio shack. Search for "Body Glove" for iPhone 5.

Might not be exactly what you want but it works for me.

hirokazu

Anyone seen a Bumper case yet ?

I tend to drop my phone alot and a having a bumper case on my GSII save it bigtime. It just bounce lol
There are heaps on eBay. I want a transparent bumper but they all seem to have some colour, which is dumb.

http://i.imgur.com/9MCNa.png

No Apple online preorders as of yet in Switzerland (and still no official price).

I preordered two phones from Swisscom, though (sim-locked, of course).

andycapps

I'm not getting USB charging on my PC at work either. Halp

NM: One of my docking station ports works. The ones on the laptop don't.

Hoo-doo

Banned
9MCNa.png

I ordered one today. Here in the netherlands pre-ordering was possible since the 21st, just not on the apple.com store itself I think.

oh god I can't believe I'm asking this, but humor me. i'm looking to buy a 2nd hand 4S and saw this on Craigslist:

hey i have a white iphone 4s, this phone is practicly in mint condition, no scratchs or anything. but the problem with it is that when you plug it into a wall or computer charger it tells you to connect it to itunes but when you try to connect it to itunes it wont pop up. I am pretty sure its just the battery but im not sure.

i know this is a "if you have to ask..." situation - but is this any kind of known issue the persion might have overlooked?

MasLegio

Banned
9MCNa.png

It is available for preorder at all mobile operators in Sweden. I guess it will be available on launch day or a few days before at the Apple store.

Any possibility that these phones will be of a different production run and that eventual scuff issues are fixed?

Am considering upgrading from 4S to 5 but I will wait until the map situation is solved (when Google Maps app is made available) since I still have iOS5 on my iPhone.

giga

. Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display – it’s not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date based on extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests. In particular it is a significant improvement over the display in the iPhone 4 with much lower screen Reflections, much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting (the highest we have ever measured), and a significantly improved and accurate Color Gamut and Factory Calibration that delivers very accurate colors and very good picture quality. While it’s not quite as accurate as the new iPad, it is still probably more accurate than any consumer display you own (including your HDTV), unless you have a new iPad.

The display on the Samsung Galaxy S III uses OLED technology. It’s a new technology that has not yet been refined to the same degree as LCDs, particularly the IPS LCDs on the iPhones, so it doesn’t objectively test or perform as well as the iPhone 5. But OLEDs have been evolving and improving very rapidly as shown in our OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out so it has a very promising future. Here are the biggest issues we found in our extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests of the Galaxy S III: the Brightness is about half of the iPhone 5 due to power constraints resulting from the lower OLED power efficiency and concerns regarding premature OLED aging. As a result the image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting is much poorer than the iPhone 5. The Color Gamut is not only much larger than the Standard Color Gamut, which leads to distorted and exaggerated colors, but the Gamut is quite lopsided, with Green being a lot more saturated than either Red or Blue, which adds a Green color caste to many images. And for some reason Samsung has not bothered to calibrate the Color Gamut on any of its OLED displays, so they are wildly inaccurate and produce inaccurate and over saturated colors.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

sikkinixx

I woke up to an order shipped e-mail. No arrival date but it was originally October 9th. No way it takes UPS 2 weeks to deliver from China.... does it ?

Are you on Verizon? Is there an extra fee?

I'm on AT&T. Their LTE speeds take a SERIOUS hit in mid-town Manhattan. But so much better than it was before. I was getting 20mb down in Jamacia. But down to about 5mb in my office.

It costs me 20 bucks a month extra (had to give up "unlimited") but well worth it for my needs.

PSGames

h9NAG.png

Guys I'm seriously concerned about my battery life. Is this normal? Down 20% after an hour? LTE is off. Just doing some browsing and texting.

DoubleTap

Reviews are saying the opening for the lightning connector isn't big enough. Can u confirm?

It will go in. The cut out is off by a mm but the bumper will flex so you can just widen it a bit and the plug will sit all the way in. I honestly didn't notice it til I read the reviews.

Edit: Just tried it out and I didn't notice it because the cable will start charging even if it's not all the way in.

Anno

Guys I'm seriously concerned about my battery life. Is this normal? Down 20% after an hour? LTE is off. Just doing some browsing and texting.

Not in my experience so far. I'm at 55% after 5:15 of usage, probably half of which was playing Kingdom Rush. Do you have a bunch of stuff on push? Or the screen turned up to 100%?

Is scuff-gate affecting white phones too?

I honestly hope they go back to a glass back for the next one if I'm considering buying at that point.

Easily replaced spiderwebbed glass after a drop that would have fucked up the phone anyway > accumulating scratches even when you take care of it.

I honestly hope they go back to a glass back for the next one if I'm considering buying at that point.

Easily replaced spiderwebbed glass after a drop that would have fucked up the phone anyway > accumulating scratches even when you take care of it.

ffs, it's not the back that scuffs. The back is sturdy as all hell.

Espresso

Banned
Does anybody know what mAh battery Apple uses for iPhone? Does anybody think we'll see batteries like those used in the Razr Maxx in the next hardware iteration? I feel like battery life is one area Apple somewhat neglects, although I realize that iPhone battery life is not bad compared to other smartphones.

We need a breakthrough in battery tech for real.

ffs, it's not the back that scuffs. The back is sturdy as all hell.
I assume it was the metal in general. I already know the "fused' coating is chipping off the corners of the black one, and I asked if it was affecting the the white one too.

Regardless, a metal backing will be more susceptible to scratches and scuffs than a glass one.

ffs

hirokazu

The back is not the problem. My white is fine, but there are a few people who say their whites are scuffed too.

hirokazu

The back is the same material as the frame, so it's not a question of where the problem is, and more of a question of where the problem manifests first.
Yeah, well being the same material doesn't matter. The back doesn't scuff and chip any more than expected from normal use. The polished edges are a different finish to the matte back and that's where most of the problems come from.

Septimius

I am currently beta-testing naked iPhone'ing with my 4S, while waiting for the 5.

I wish they'd just take preorders already.

Top Bottom