• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Yeah, well being the same material doesn't matter. The back doesn't scuff and chip any more than expected from normal use. The polished edges are a different finish to the matte back and that's where most of the problems come from.
A real answer, thank you!

I still hope for a return of the glass back though. :/

yogloo

Scuff gate is making me reconsider to postpone getting an iphone 5. Going to wait whether they are make any adjustment in production like they did with antenna gate.

h9NAG.png

Guys I'm seriously concerned about my battery life. Is this normal? Down 20% after an hour? LTE is off. Just doing some browsing and texting.

For what it's worth, I was at 13% after 9 hours and 30 minutes last night after a full charge. Spent most of that time browsing, listening to music, streaming YouTube, texting, playing light games here and there (tiny wings, canabalt stuff like that) etc.

Today off a full charge sitting at 91% after an hour of music, 2 15 min. Convos and mostly fiddling around with options etc. (no wifi browsing), and after turning on cell data it dropped a few percent in about 15 minutes. So seems to be dropping faster than yesterday. I noticed that my phone also dropped 3 percent while i was asleep after being on standby after a full charge last night. 3 percent after being on standby with nothing but wifi on... Hmm... Maybe the battery is still being broken in/calibrated

Scuff gate is also a very real thing. Babied the phone since launch, if it's not in my pocket it's carefully set on a table and the paint is definitely chipping off around the chamfered edge. Again, real disappointed after the hype behind the manufacturing. Hope Apple addresses this and does a recall cause this is ridiculous, my bezel will likely be stripped clean in half a year at this rate :/

edit: oh and my phone has no push on, cell data is usually off and brightness is at 30% auto bright off. basically settings designed to get the most out of the battery

def sim

I decided not to get applecare+. The high resale value of iPhones will allow me to upgrade annually, anyway. Now all I need is a decent back up phone to get the early, maximum value off of the 5 next summer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wifi woes? I haven't had an issue, I feel it's faster now

Friend of mine says wi-fi doesn't work very well on his phone...connection and/or speeds aren't very good.

friend said:
Wifi… Wifi sucks. Some reading about it seems I am not alone. Either a software or hardware issue. Some iphones have issues, some don’t. I might need to exchange mine if it’s a hardware issue.

Did tests at three separate locations while I was out and about this morning and in every test my iPhone's LTE beat the LTE speeds of my Verizon MiFi device, even though they're on the same network. I think it's time to kill the MiFi and switch to a tethering plan for my phone!

Tethering only allows for one device to be connected, or does it create a wifi cloud that multiple devices can connect to?

Did tests at three separate locations while I was out and about this morning and in every test my iPhone's LTE beat the LTE speeds of my Verizon MiFi device, even though they're on the same network. I think it's time to kill the MiFi and switch to a tethering plan for my phone!

Tethering only allows for one device to be connected, or does it create a wifi cloud that multiple devices can connect to?

Wi-Fi cloud!

Get to it, Garold!

LiK

tethering has a data cap right?

The back of my phone already has quite a few scratches just from keeping it in my pocket. This is pretty lame.

Edit: I had nothing else in that pocket with the phone.

Septimius

tethering has a data cap right?

Well, tethering is only using your iPhone to be the gateway for a small network, in a sense. Imagine it like this:

(Glorious) Internet -> Carrier -> iPhone -> spread as WiFi

so you can share your iPhone's connection to the LTE network by having it act like a gateway for the other devices connecting through it. Like so, the data will always seem to be coming from the phone, so if you either spam Speedtest 500,000 times or you tether and use it for whatever use at home, the data-cap is going to be the same. So check your plan's data-cap to see it's tethering data-cap

Cloudy

Banned
I love the iPhone 5 but I guess I'm in the camp that likes a little more weight to my phones. I wasn't going to go with an Otterbox defender this time but I just ordered one. :p

Well, tethering is only using your iPhone to be the gateway for a small network, in a sense. Imagine it like this:

(Glorious) Internet -> Carrier -> iPhone -> spread as WiFi

so you can share your iPhone's connection to the LTE network by having it act like a gateway for the other devices connecting through it. Like so, the data will always seem to be coming from the phone, so if you either spam Speedtest 500,000 times or you tether and use it for whatever use at home, the data-cap is going to be the same. So check your plan's data-cap to see it's tethering data-cap
Okay so there isn't some portion of your overall data that's set aside for tethering?

Does anyone have an idea of how resistant the camera lens is to scratching? My iPhone 4 eventually began taking blurry pics due to the lens scratching. For the last year of my using it, I never used a case. So of course at times I dropped it, which contributed to the scratching. I really don't want to use a case for my 5, but I definitely don't want to ruin the camera again! Any thoughts?

Does anyone have an idea of how resistant the camera lens is to scratching? My iPhone 4 eventually began taking blurry pics due to the lens scratching. For the last year of my using it, I never used a case. So of course at times I dropped it, which contributed to the scratching. I really don't want to use a case for my 5, but I definitely don't want to ruin the camera again! Any thoughts?

just get an otter box lol

Tadale

Our two phones came out of the box blemish free as far as I can tell, and after a weekend of serious use there are no scratches or scuffs to speak of on either the white or black phone, no cases, yet.

It's sapphire crystal, which in everyday use, won't scratch as easily as glass. It's the same material used in watches.

tmdorsey

Damnit. I guess I'm going to have to go at least get a lighting USB cable. I stream radio at work and without a dock connector to charge, my battery is draining fast.

Dazzla

Mine arrived today (UK) and has minor scuffs on the chamfered edge. Has a small ding in the rear as well. Contemplating asking if I can return it to Apple for a white one, just worried about availability.

Alright guys, I'm going to go take my iPhone 5 (Black) naked to university, and see how well it holds up. Hopefully it doesn't get scratched to oblivion.

I don't get why there is such a huge discrepancy on people's experience with the battery life.
I'm just curious about some of the reviews citing incredible battery life. I think it was Engadget who said they got 14 hours with wifi, LTE turned on and heavy usage. It statements like these that fly in the face of real world figures that make me question the legitimacy of published reviews :l

But from my experience, I seem to get 10 hours of mixed usage our of it and LTE is what I found to be the real killer

Top Bottom