• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Asking again if anyone has recs for a good car mount so I can use this thing as my GPS? I ordered one that mounts via the CD slot (which is a cool idea as I never use my CD player any more) but looking for alternatives in case for some reason that doesn't work out.

I've had no problems with battery life so far, seems about the same as the 4S.

Talon

Navigation seems to eat up a lot of battery.

I went about 10 hours of usage (according to the phone) from 100% to 0% my first day. Next day I used the navigation for about 30 minutes, and I lasted 8 hours.

Zeth

My battery so far has been noticeably better than my 4S. I have LTE coverage but it's defaulting to WiFi most of the time (I don't mess with cell settings though). Haven't been doing much gaming on it, so I'll have to see how that works.

Navigation seems to eat up a lot of battery.

I went about 10 hours of usage (according to the phone) from 100% to 0% my first day. Next day I used the navigation for about 30 minutes, and I lasted 8 hours.
Yeah I'm sure it does. I plan to use it as my in-car GPS but it'll be plugged into a charger so not an issue.

Tobor

Asking again if anyone has recs for a good car mount so I can use this thing as my GPS? I ordered one that mounts via the CD slot (which is a cool idea as I never use my CD player any more) but looking for alternatives in case for some reason that doesn't work out.

Link to the mount you ordered? That sounds interesting.

Fun y how you say people are crying over scuffs and scratches when it's just a phone and then you can't wait to swap your own perfectly good white one for a black one.

Bu..bu..but it's just a phone! What matter does a ton of scratches around the side make!

Bu..bu..but it's just a phone! What matter does the colour of it make!

C'mon guys, what's wrong with people being a little concerned that their brand new phone that they'll be using for the next two years is exhibiting excessive wear after just three to four days, some even out of the box? It's not a case of "Ooops, I don't know where I dinged this bit, oh well" every three months, it's "Oh what the hell, these scuffs keep coming from nowhere!"

I can understand that it's dumb when some people are unreasonable about the inevitable scratch or whatever. I've stressed several times that this isn't what I'm seeing with my sister's black unit. There are some of you who maybe aren't experiencing it who are way dismissive about other people's problems for whatever reason.
What? He wants a different color....

this_guy

I'm just curious about some of the reviews citing incredible battery life. I think it was Engadget who said they got 14 hours with wifi, LTE turned on and heavy usage. It statements like these that fly in the face of real world figures that make me question the legitimacy of published reviews :l

But from my experience, I seem to get 10 hours of mixed usage our of it and LTE is what I found to be the real killer

I think everyone is misreading what Engadget wrote about 11 hours of video with LTE and Wifi turned on. That sounds like streaming video for 11 hours, but I'm thinking they meant playing a video on the phone without turning off the radios. Still it's solid battery life, but real world usage should be comparable to the 4s and Galaxy S3.

I know with my 4, any sort of persistent location service takes a whole lot out of the battery.
For example, that okcupid "find people in your area" option

Kaladin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELOOZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have used this one and it works fine with about any phone.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
27284321.jpg
two coworkers of mine have iphones. both have cracked screens. no way am i letting them near mine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like Chrome's UI much better than Safari but it's way slower. Just playing around with both a minute ago and Chrome took much longer to load pages. I'll stick with Safari.

Is it possible there's something wrong with my battery?

Started fully charged (100%) yesterday at 11am. Went on a train ride till 4pm. No WiFi, no Bluetooth. Recorded 5 minutes of video, took about 40 shots (no flash). Infrequent Twitter checking. Email checking. At the end of the ride, I was down to 25%. I'm on Fido, so no LTE, but I did notice the LTE switch in Settings was on. Not sure if that matters.

Also, went to bed last night at 10pm, fully charged. Woke up and it was at 78%. WiFi was enabled, no Bluetooth, screen was (of course) off.

andycapps

Started fully charged (100%) yesterday at 11am. Went on a train ride till 4pm. No WiFi, no Bluetooth. Recorded 5 minutes of video, took about 40 shots (no flash). Infrequent Twitter checking. Email checking. At the end of the ride, I was down to 25%. I'm on Fido, so no LTE, but I did notice the LTE switch in Settings was on. Not sure if that matters.

Also, went to bed last night at 10pm, fully charged. Woke up and it was at 78%. WiFi was enabled, no Bluetooth, screen was (of course) off.

That sounds completely different than mine.. I'm still an iPhone noob, but isn't there a way to see what's been using your battery in the OS?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mine has 60 minutes of usage (half of that playing Pocket Planes) and 7 hours of standby time currently and it is at 88%.

Much better than my Droid X.

Dollars to donuts there will be a patch to increase battery life.

Mairu

I like Chrome's UI much better than Safari but it's way slower. Just playing around with both a minute ago and Chrome took much longer to load pages. I'll stick with Safari.

I'd like to try Chrome again myself, but I don't think I will bother until it gets jailbroken so I can reinstall Nitrous.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damn, I was thinking about picking this up (never owned a smartphone) but I think I may go with the 4S. Cheaper and I don't have to deal with these issues.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What issues? Do you really think a smaller screen and loss of LTE is better than small chipping of the anodized aluminum?

Weird battery life, scuffs out of the box, leaking lights, and wonky Wifi are enough to turn me off when it costs $100 more when the upgrade is so insignificant (I don't see myself using LTE never mind 3G that much. I live on campus with WiFi everywhere).

Does LTE cost more than the standard 3G plan?

This is a dumb thing to do, and the reasons behind it are silly.

Saving $100 is silly?

"I want the phone that is half as fast with the shittier screen for $2400 instead of $2500 over two years, please."

Weird battery life, scuffs out of the box, leaking lights, and wonky Wifi are enough to turn me off when it costs $100 more when the upgrade is so insignificant
What's cool is how places let you return things that aren't satisfactory to you.

Naka

I wonder if the rear panel on the 5 is easily replaceable. I know Apple would replace the back of the 4/4S for 30 bucks. If they do the same on the 5, I wont mind if it gets a little scratched up here and there knowing I can replace easily.

Saving $100 is silly?

Yes, it's a silly saving when you factor in the overall costs of owning the phone. I think you are allowing a few minor issues that some people are having scare you for no good reason. The iPhone 5 is a much better phone than the 4S and worth the $100 upgrade.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
"I want the phone that is half as fast with the shittier screen for $2400 instead of $2500 over two years, please."

What's really cool is how places let you return things that aren't satisfactory to you.

I mean, I guess you're right if you put it like that. I just want a phone now and I don't want to have to return it. I just want it to work.

Geez, didn't mean to make you guys so riled up. Calm down, it's alright. ;)

I mean, I guess you're right if you put it like that. I just want a phone now and I don't want to have to return it. I just want it to work.

It's always a bummer having to return a phone, but Apple has always been pretty good with fixing and replacing phones for me in the past.

I got my iPhone 5 and it's perfect. 5 million people did this weekend and the great majority probably feel the same way. People only go on the Internet to say bad things.

Top Bottom