• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I mean, I guess you're right if you put it like that. I just want a phone now and I don't want to have to return it. I just want it to work.

Geez, didn't mean to make you guys so riled up. Calm down, it's alright. ;)

Every phone has issues. Not to mention it's not like its anywhere near 25% or even 10% of phones being damaged out of box. It's going to be far far less I'm sure.

chris121580

So quick question, I lost my phone(4S) over the weekend(yikes!) and I don't think I'll be finding it. I tried using find my iphone but had no luck because apparently the phone is turned off. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. Will I get laughed at if I go in to the apple store and ask for an iphone 5? I'm assuming they probably run out immediately

I mean, I guess you're right if you put it like that. I just want a phone now and I don't want to have to return it. I just want it to work.

Geez, didn't mean to make you guys so riled up. Calm down, it's alright. ;)

Mine works. LTE is fantastic. Im tethering now. Shit is great compared to waiting 45 seconds to update a page on GAF on 3G in NYC.

The chipping is hit or miss. I missed. My phone is fine. I just advise a case to keep it in solid condition.

But whatever, I think it's worth it.

5amshift

Banned
So quick question, I lost my phone(4S) over the weekend(yikes!) and I don't think I'll be finding it. I tried using find my iphone but had no luck because apparently the phone is turned off. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. Will I get laughed at if I go in to the apple store and ask for an iphone 5? I'm assuming they probably run out immediately

Yeah, they'll laugh you pretty much out of the store.

PSGames

GayEF.png

Extremely disappointed :-(

VoxPop

Hm so I currently have the VZ iPhone 5. I heard it's unlocked out of the box? Can i just pay the ETF and get one of those shitty prepaid plans?

madmook

Hi all, have a dumb question regarding Safari. I am interested in the 5th gen Touch which has the same screen as the iPhone5.

Anyways, when web browsing in landscape mode, do websites automatically take advantage of the extra horizontal screen real estate? Which would mean in general, things aren't as tiny as they are like on the iPhone4/4s/Touch4G?

Thanks in advance, I have not seen an iPhone 5 in person.

KtSlime

Derp. I guess it makes sense. I just didn't think it would be ass backwards and keep trying and actually use power.

Are there any phones that don't work in this exact same way? Don't know what's ass backwards about trying to connect to the cellular tower... Kind of the main goal of a cellular phone.

-griffy-

Banned
Hi all, have a dumb question regarding Safari. I am interested in the 5th gen Touch which has the same screen as the iPhone5.

Anyways, when web browsing in landscape mode, do websites automatically take advantage of the extra horizontal screen real estate? Which would mean in general, things aren't as tiny as they are like on the iPhone4/4s/Touch4G?

Thanks in advance, I have not seen an iPhone 5 in person.

Here's a what it looks like in landscape in Chrome:
FD46D808-86B0-493B-B084-8C89B96AADA4-3815-000001A0EC9F2B93.jpg

Here's Safari:
079074E6-753C-48E0-8A40-80F03596476A-3815-000001A1C35464B3.jpg

PSGames

11 1/2 hours seems pretty good to me. Especially if that browsing time was on LTE.

LTE os turned off. The standby includes the usage time. So I'm at half that :-(

First thing I noticed is that location services arrow is there. Is that on all the time? Could be why.

I told Siri to remind me of something when I leave work. But honestly I've been getting the same battery life all weekend even without that reminder in the background. Starting to think I have a faulty battery or something.

Apple really should get their passbook shit together. There should be an app update for the store timeout for passbook apps. And that forwarding a year workaround doesn't work for me. That's really poor testing on their part.

Whoever suggest neogaf mobile with black with black IP5 is a genius. Website looks great with it.

I've loved the battery so far. I spent the entire day yesterday doing fantasy football stuff while watching the games, plus some texting, and stuff. The final 2 hours I mostly played games on it to drain it, lasted over 12 hours of heavy use (on wi-fi).

It only loses like 5% overnight, too.

About the scratched edges, here's an example on how anodized aluminum is going to scratch on the edges easily. It's just a matter of where contact happens most often and alsothe angle in which the contact takes place. I've had this flashlight for 3+ years, and it is the thing I have that gets beaten up the most. The edges got worn out. I expected this. I still think it looks very nice though. I think an iPhone 5 with a scuffed edge will still look nice too.

azgut.jpg

So I noticed this with my parents' iPhone 4s on Verizon, as well as my iPhone 5 too, but one thing I was wondering was, why do Verizon phones seem to jump between network types so much?

With Verizon, it seems like I'm constantly going back and forth between 3G, then LTE, then O, then LTE, then 3G. Then LTE, then O. It's kind of annoying. I would ideally like to be on LTE at all times, but for whatever reason, Verizon phones always seem to shuffle around.

This is in Elgin, IL, and Madison, WI, BTW.

def sim

I used my phone as my main computer on Sunday. With full brightness on wifi I managed a little over five hours usage and ten or so standby. Setting brightness at sixty percent, general use with an LTE connection on Friday netted me about eight hours. That's the same as the 4S; not better or worse.

I find that if it isn't the screen brightness, it's the fetch/push notifications messing everything up.

About the scratched edges, here's an example on how anodized aluminum is going to scratch on the edges easily. It's just a matter of where contact happens most often and alsothe angle in which the contact takes place. I've had this flashlight for 3+ years, and it is the thing I have that gets beaten up the most. The edges got worn out. I expected this. I still think it looks very nice though. I think an iPhone 5 with a scuffed edge will still look nice too.

azgut.jpg

Sorry, but I don't want my phone to look like that after a few months or even a year. My iPhone 4 still looks great.

New iPhone user here. Had a Samsung Fascinate and couldn't stand it. This thing is simply amazing in comparison. The only thing that has bothered me so far is it just doesn't feel nearly as nice in my hand and as easy to navigate the screen as my wife's iPhone 4. And so far the battery has been a little bit of a disappointment. Other than that is is great.

Top Bottom