• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Mairu

8ZLPSl.png

I have no idea why the usage and standby hours are the same. Maybe because I have multiple push email accounts? Totally satisfied with the battery life though. I'm going to try and let it drain tonight to do a better test tomorrow.

What the fuck. Somehow I've already consumed 1.3gb of data this month on my 2gb cap. Is instacast downloading entire podcasts when I'm just streaming?

I have 29 days to go in my cycle

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Screen brightness has the largest impact on battery life.
His usage (screen on) wasn't enough that it should have drained him to 10% so quickly.

So... yeah. That kind of app would be helpful.
Someone here linked to Dataman which isn't a battery app, but has been quite nice to see how much Wifi and Cell usage is being used.
Apparently there's a Pro version that says exactly which applications are using data and how much, but I don't see it in the US.

What the fuck. Somehow I've already consumed 1.3gb of data this month on my 2gb cap. Is instacast downloading entire podcasts when I'm just streaming?
Erm...

def sim

Fall and winter is going to be a bit of a hassle for us caseless folk. The thing felt like an ice cube after I went biking early in the morning. Super uncomfortable to the touch.

andycapps

Screen brightness has the largest impact on battery life.

His usage (screen on) wasn't enough that it should have drained him to 10% so quickly.

So... yeah. That kind of app would be helpful.

This. Also, when they inevitably release updates that increase battery life, it will be because they found issues with the OS that were getting hung up by applications, etc and not because they somehow found out a way to get better battery life out of the display.

Bunch of deniers in here that wouldn't like to have new features. This is why we can't have nice things.

The_Inquisitor said:

This is a prime example of what I said regarding LTE will cause people to go through their allotment quicker. Most thought that they'd use the same amount.

matt360

Another case of shitty battery life here. Not as bad as some of the people here and on macrumors, but still pretty bad. I got about 5 hours and 50 minutes out of a full charge yesterday. LTE and wifi switched on, almost all notifications turned off, location services turned off, and screen brightness at about 30-40%. No gaming at all. Texting, music, and web browsing, and all I got was around 6 hours. Not too happy about that.

I drained it to zero last night and I'll see how it holds up today. If it's still shitty I'll restore it and set up as new (has anyone here tried that with success). If it's still shitty then I'll just return it.

Mr.Fresh

Other then the touchscreen problems everything is great with this phone. I'm surprised to hear about battery life problems some of you are having. My phone has been off the charger since 11 am and it's 7:30 pm now and I'm at 46% . I listened to music , browsed Facebook , twitter , Instagram , and gaf.

Edit : I have push for email, Facebook , twitter and Instagram all activated.

Fjordson

Might be LTE streaming causing you to use more than you're accustomed to?

Lately I just download all my casts on wi-fi before I head out.

krpiper

GAF, are you guys using a screen protector and if so which one. I am quite clumsy with my phone :( what is the best case, is it an otterbox? (if so what model)

Here's what I show from at&t site

09/24 07:53 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 332106 KB
09/23 08:27 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 567874 KB

My guess is that this had to have been instacast perhaps trying to download/stream latest giant bombcast. Problem looks like instacast can download almost entire podcast while streaming, but if you switch to another cast, it seems to redownload the entire thing again.

But I don't get it. The bombcast is only 80-90mb. I should have been connected to the wifi last night at 8:27 at home. Unless for some reason my phone dropped wifi and stream netflix or something. Not really sure, but this is awful considering I have 29 days to go. If I sign up for new 3GB plan, will they restart my counter today?

edit: mobile app shows 1337.5 MB data used. Online site only shows 897.390625. The hell is going on?

Here's what I show from at&t site

09/24 07:53 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 332106 KB
09/23 08:27 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 567874 KB

My guess is that this had to have been instacast perhaps trying to download/stream latest giant bombcast. Problem looks like instacast can download almost entire podcast while streaming, but if you switch to another cast, it seems to redownload the entire thing again.

But I don't get it. The bombcast is only 80-90mb. I should have been connected to the wifi last night at 8:27 at home. Unless for some reason my phone dropped wifi and stream netflix or something. Not really sure, but this is awful considering I have 29 days to go. If I sign up for new 3GB plan, will they restart my counter today?

You can turn off downloading unless you're on WiFi to avoid network usage.

Bog

Junior Ace
I don't know if it was listening to podcasts all day or forgetting to turn off wifi, but I hit 3% battery today after roughly 7 hours.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
People actually bother to turn off wifi and cell data?

Bog

Junior Ace
People actually bother to turn off wifi and cell data?

I'm going to turn off wifi if it means better than a pathetic 7 hours of battery life sitting on my desk playing podcasts that I'd already downloaded, yeah.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to turn off wifi if it means better than a pathetic 7 hours of battery life sitting on my desk playing podcasts that I'd already downloaded, yeah.
I mean, sure. I wasn't having a go. :)

I just never bother with my 4 and have never had a problem with battery life. I hope the 5 isn't worst. :|

dream

Mine is reporting 1.8 gigs downloaded in less than a day. And I'm about 99% sure I haven't actually downloaded 1.8 gigs over 3G in a little over 12 hours.

hirokazu

OK, I commented how the screen didn't seem to turn off automatically when the phone is plugged in to charge. It looks like I was wrong and there's some sort of bug, it randomly doesn't turn off no matter whether it's charging or not, WTF.

I mean, sure. I wasn't having a go. :)

I just never bother with my 4 and have never had a problem with battery life. I hope the 5 isn't worst. :|

It's the same as the 4s, which is slightly worse then the 4

Mine is reporting 1.8 gigs downloaded in less than a day. And I'm about 99% sure I haven't actually downloaded 1.8 gigs over 3G in a little over 12 hours.

It begins

matt360

Got this bumper today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092TQHP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It really feels good and fits very snugly around the phone. I'll enjoy it till my defender comes but I would recommend this to the folks who are going caseless. It really improves the grip and will protect it from falls at an angle

I also picked up that same bumper. It is pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that it's kinda hard to press the sleep/wake button. The resistance is too strong I feel. Maybe it'll loosen up after a while, but overall it's a good option and it keeps the integrity of the design in tact.

I've already done so. It didn't use to be a problem with 3G. I would hope instacast updates to save the cast, or only download enough for what I am listening to.

Frankly, I've found Instacast to be very flakey. I had an issue where it just refused to auto-delete old casts despite having it set up correctly. I couldn't figure out where all my free space was going!

Went back to Downcast.

hirokazu

Is it possible there's something wrong with my battery?

Started fully charged (100%) yesterday at 11am. Went on a train ride till 4pm. No WiFi, no Bluetooth. Recorded 5 minutes of video, took about 40 shots (no flash). Infrequent Twitter checking. Email checking. At the end of the ride, I was down to 25%. I'm on Fido, so no LTE, but I did notice the LTE switch in Settings was on. Not sure if that matters.

Also, went to bed last night at 10pm, fully charged. Woke up and it was at 78%. WiFi was enabled, no Bluetooth, screen was (of course) off.

Do you have Photo Stream enabled? If you do, it'll be uploading the photos you took when there's a Wi-Fi connection. I took 275 photos on a trip on Saturday and it took about 12 hours to upload them on my shitty home ADSL connection and took off 50% of the battery.

Photo Stream uploads count towards the Usage stats, so you can check if this is the case by confirming all your photos are uploaded and that your usage is much higher than you actually used the phone for.

Is instacast downloading entire podcasts when I'm just streaming?

Yes. The servers they are downloading from aren't streaming audio servers, its just file downloads, so it caches the file as you listen. Depending on your phone usage habits, subsequent streaming attempts may cause it to redownload again (at least from the place you left off, less of an issue with iPhone 5 since it has 1gig of RAM, but still a possibility).

Instacast has a lot of options for how to behave when you are on a data connection.

Cloudy

Banned
I also picked up that same bumper. It is pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that it's kinda hard to press the sleep/wake button. The resistance is too strong I feel. Maybe it'll loosen up after a while, but overall it's a good option and it keeps the integrity of the design in tact.

Weird. Mine isn't hard to press at all. If I had AppleCare, this would probably be my fulltime case lol

MasLegio

Banned
Does the back on anyone else's rattle? I think it's the camera it seems to make quite a bit of noise

Yeah, it's the camera. iPhone 4S also had this. Nothing to worry about, although it can be annoying.

Not normal. I have a 4S and it is dead quiet when I shake it, not a sound (like shaking a stone).

Maybe your phones have a manufacturing defect?
Take it back to the store and have them look at it, because the phone should not make a noise (no moving or mechanical parts).

Not normal. I have a 4S and it is dead quiet when I shake it, not a sound (like shaking a stone).

Maybe your phones have a manufacturing defect?
Take it back to the store and have them look at it, because the phone should not make a noise (no moving or mechanical parts).
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3392984?start=0&tstart=0

It's not broken. It's annoying, but nothing to worry about. It's been known for a long time now.

hirokazu

This is a prime example of what I said regarding LTE will cause people to go through their allotment quicker. Most thought that they'd use the same amount.

To be fair, I think most people are aware that streaming audio will use up their data, be it 3G or LTE. I suppose LTE makes it more viable to do so, but this really should go into the "Use your brain" category.

Husker86

I'm wondering if data reporting is off. I've waited for Verizon to update my data usage and it is saying I've used slightly over 2GB when my phone says I've used almost 4GB. So maybe the phone is counting incorrectly?

dorkimoe

That's normal, every iPhone I've had up to the iPhone edge has done that. What you're hearing is the little motor that spins when the phone vibrates

well i hear it just touching the back, its the camera i just dont remember it being this bad. I have taken apart my 4 and built it from scratch so im familiar with how it sits in there.

anyway, after a few days with the phone i can say the new earpods or whatever they are called are amazing, they are beyond comfortable, I forget i have them in sometimes

hirokazu

Yeah, it's the camera. iPhone 4S also had this. Nothing to worry about, although it can be annoying.

I don't know, I would take that to the Apple Store. The iFixIt teardown noted that things like the camera a bolted down pretty hard to the mainboard to prevent them getting loose and rattling, so that doesn't sound like normal at all.

EDIT: I just shook my iPhone 5 and there's zero rattle. I've never heard rattling on any iPhone I've used. I'd say it's definitely not normal, but it may be a non-issue in terms of performance if this happens to some units but there are no long-term problems with those units.

Anyway, I'd say if you are concerned, it doesn't hurt to take it to the store to have it checked out.

Wow somehow on the way home I burned another 1/2GB on instacast.

09/24 06:02 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 123243 KB
09/24 06:01 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 19473 KB
09/24 05:48 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 390095 KB
09/24 05:43 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 117318 KB

How the fuck is this possible. Even if I accidentaly paused 1-2 podcasts instacast downloaded the entire thing, then discared it? This data usage doesn't make any freaking sense!

I'm now down to 500mB for the entire month.

Top Bottom