• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

tmdorsey

Yea. Completely normal. Can't do LTE and a call at the same time. Sprint and Verizon can't do a call and data at the same time. AT&T drops down to HSPA+ or "4G" (lol) for data during a call.

This is correct. However one thing that started happening today with me is after the call, the phone would not connect back to the LTE. I had to toggle the LTE switch on and off again to get the LTE connection back.

dorkimoe

am i the only one who really digs the new dial number color? it looks great

and the new colors for music? so sick...maybe its just because now its white on white(phone)

hirokazu

Wow somehow on the way home I burned another 1/2GB on instacast.

09/24 06:02 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 123243 KB
09/24 06:01 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 19473 KB
09/24 05:48 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 390095 KB
09/24 05:43 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 117318 KB

How the fuck is this possible. Even if I accidentaly paused 1-2 podcasts instacast downloaded the entire thing, then discared it? This data usage doesn't make any freaking sense!

I'm now down to 500mB for the entire month.

I would stop using Instacast until this gets sorted out.

Got this bumper today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092TQHP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It really feels good and fits very snugly around the phone. I'll enjoy it till my defender comes but I would recommend this to the folks who are going caseless. It really improves the grip and will protect it from falls at an angle

That's the one I ordered! Should be here in a couple of days.

Anyone else notice that e-mails no longer turn the screen on when you get them? I think this is an iPhone 5 thing and not an iOS 6 thing. Clearly they've made some changes to the OS to squeeze some extra battery life out of it.

my phone arrived in my city today, but it's not supposed to be delivered until thursday. Will it really sit around in a warehouse for 3 days or do think they would deliver it ASAP?

FWIW, I use Instacast too, but there's absolutely no way it downloaded 1.9 gigs in 12 hours.

Baffling.

I think it has to do with LTE. I thinks it designed to not be able to reach the end of "streaming" a podcast so fast. So instead of downloading all it needs, it redownloads the entire damn podcast each time. Just purchased downcast and trying it.

dream

I think it has to do with LTE. I thinks it designed to not be able to reach the end of "streaming" a podcast so fast. So instead of downloading all it needs, it redownloads the entire damn podcast each time. Just purchased downcast and trying it.

That's the weird thing -- I have LTE turned off.

E-DuB

Couldn't find anything by searching but has anyone who's gotten the new iphone in Toronto had any luck finding cases for it? I have one coming in this week and I'd like to have a little added protection for it when I pick mine up.

Wow somehow on the way home I burned another 1/2GB on instacast.

09/24 06:02 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 123243 KB
09/24 06:01 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 19473 KB
09/24 05:48 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 390095 KB
09/24 05:43 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 117318 KB

How the fuck is this possible. Even if I accidentaly paused 1-2 podcasts instacast downloaded the entire thing, then discared it? This data usage doesn't make any freaking sense!

I'm now down to 500mB for the entire month.

Did you log on to verizonwireless and see what that is at? Maybe it's a misrepresentation.

Does anyone else's screen have a yellow tint to it? Just put the 5 side by side with the 4 and with both on neogaf mobile the difference was striking as the whites on the 4 look much more accurate to me :/

elektrixx

Banned
Are the "dots per whatever" less than the iPhone 4S or are the dots just more noticeable to me because the screen's closer to the glass?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Are the "dots per whatever" less than the iPhone 4S or are the dots just more noticeable to me because the screen's closer to the glass?

your phone might be defective. i recommend you bring it to an Apple store for a replacement!

Ah thought it was verizon since you said 2GB cap. Thought ATT's lowest was 3GB. My bad.

Grandfathered on old datapro. I learned my lesson here, will not be downloading podcasts over wireless anymore. Was never an issue with my 3G until I switched to LTE. I think the change I need to make is not stream, but only download from now on. Now to survive on 500mb for 28 days...

matt360

I know it's impossible to pinpoint so early after release, but can anyone say if these battery issues are most likely a software issue rather than a hardware issue?

I've done all of the recommended steps short of restoring to factory settings and setting it up as new and so far nothing has worked. I really don't want to start from scratch so if there's a good possibility that a 6.0.1 update will fix this problem then I'd rather wait for that instead.

Really? Please tell me this is not another problem...

I tried googling it and it returned a lot of hits where a lot of other people have noted that their phones look really yellow next to the 4/4S. Some people said their displays are much cooler, I know the color is totally off cause it is incredibly noticeable next to the 4 where the whites look completely white. The 5 looks like I'm running F. lux on it or something :/

Lol, that's not a problem. Like the third gen iPad, the iPhone 5 has better color correction and is warmer than previous versions.

The new screen is far more accurate.

Huh, I just checked it against my 2012 iPad and you're right, they have the same color values. I was completely taken aback with the 5 sitting side by side with the 4 though, just threw me for a loop. Unless... both my iPad and 5 are defective lol

knitoe

I have at&t. All it says is "data"

I remember people having this same complaint with iphone 4/4s. Believe, ATT does some background data and it shows up on your total usage, but they said it doesn't count toward your data plan. Probably, the same thing with iphone 5. Are you using the ATT app to monitor your data use?

Can you just check availability or do you have to go through the whole order process?

Gotta go through the whole order process, at the very end there's an option to pick up in store instead of having it shipped and that'll show you all stores around you and their availability.

Battery life:

Currently 37%
Usage 3hr 57 min
1 day standby
50% brightness
Mainly on wifi

Usage:
60% corp email
25% texting
10% browsing
5% misc

A full drain and recharge was done before this.

No way will I be getting good numbers on this phone. I hope iOS optimizations help out.

ReconPeon

I am debating returning my galaxy s3 and ordering a white iphone 5. My main concern is the whole scratching issue that people have been having with their iphones. Does this effect the white ones or is it just the black? Thanks

Huh, I just checked it against my 2012 iPad and you're right, they have the same color values. I was completely taken aback with the 5 sitting side by side with the 4 though, just threw me for a loop. Unless... both my iPad and 5 are defective lol
It's just that the 4 is shit.

Smartphone displays are continuing their rapid evolution in performance. Apple has again taken the lead in methodical refinements and factory calibration that are necessary to produce accurate very high picture quality.

Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display – it’s not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date based on extensive Lab measurements and viewing tests. In particular it is a significant improvement over the display in the iPhone 4 with much lower screen Reflections, much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting (the highest we have ever measured), and a significantly improved and accurate Color Gamut and Factory Calibration that delivers very accurate colors and very good picture quality.

While it’s not quite as accurate as the new iPad, it is still probably more accurate than any consumer display you own (including your HDTV), unless you have a new iPad.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

I am debating returning my galaxy s3 and ordering a white iphone 5.

DO EET

P1000298_zpse935e128.jpg

My main concern is the whole scratching issue that people have been having with their iphones. Does this effect the white ones or is it just the black? Thanks
Are you in the US? If there are scratches on the phone right out of the box that you find unacceptable you can always get it exchanged for free. If you don't want it to get scratched you can always get a case for it.

But yes, it will get scratched. Basically, Apple gave up scratch resistance in order to make it more durable.

LordCanti

I was going to go commando with my phone, but I've realized that the thing is too damn small for my hand to hold it comfortably. I'm looking at the Speck Candyshell's, and all of them seem to be out of stock at any online store that stocks them. Does anyone know of a site that has them in stock by any chance?

Amazon or Speck's website, however some colors (white/black) are probably sold out everywhere. Best Buy has some Candyshells in stock in their store.

Yeah, I should have specified that I'm not man enough for one of the colors that never go out of stock (pink, baby blue, etc).

I checked my BB today and didn't have any luck unfortunately.

I'll check Speck's official site. Thanks.

I was going to go commando with my phone, but I've realized that the thing is too damn small for my hand to hold it comfortably. I'm looking at the Speck Candyshell's, and all of them seem to be out of stock at any online store that stocks them. Does anyone know of a site that has them in stock by any chance?

Amazon or Speck's website, however some colors (white/black) are probably sold out everywhere. Best Buy has some Candyshells in stock in their store.

Also, has anyone here ordered bodyguardz? According to UPS they are in Fontana, but the estimated delivery date is Thursday, even though Fontana is 60 miles away...

ReconPeon

DO EET

P1000298_zpse935e128.jpg

Are you in the US? If there are scratches on the phone right out of the box that you find unacceptable you can always get it exchanged for free. If you don't want it to get scratched you can always get a case for it.

But yes, it will get scratched. Basically, Apple gave up scratch resistance in order to make it more durable.

I think ill be returning my s3 tomorrow, have you been going naked or do you use a case?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I had a little hands-on time with one yesterday.

I still don't particularly feel the urge to upgrade to it.

About the scratched edges, here's an example on how anodized aluminum is going to scratch on the edges easily. It's just a matter of where contact happens most often and alsothe angle in which the contact takes place. I've had this flashlight for 3+ years, and it is the thing I have that gets beaten up the most. The edges got worn out. I expected this. I still think it looks very nice though. I think an iPhone 5 with a scuffed edge will still look nice too.

azgut.jpg

If my iPhone starts to scuff eventually, I can only hope it winds up looking like this. Black iPhone all beat to shit at the end of its life but still going strong = total boss phone that has done some living.

I love thrashed electronics. I threw my OG iPhone around all over the place. Has all kinds of dings, dents and scratches on it. Looks like a rock star.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Yeah, I should have specified that I'm not man enough for one of the colors that never go out of stock (pink, baby blue, etc).

I checked my BB today and didn't have any luck unfortunately.

I'll check Speck's official site. Thanks.

Specks are shit build quality tho FYI.

Top Bottom