• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I thought people had a fairly high opinion of the candyshell's specifically. A family member has the pixelskin and it's held up well over the past year.

What's wrong with them?

Bought a pixelskin for my 4, the plastic bit around the camera and flash fell apart and the tiny string above the connector broke.

Then replaced it by a candyshell... it got scratched to hell really fast. The headphone port was too small for the cable to connect the phone to the car stereo and after 10 times of removing the case to plug it in it broke down.

magicstop

Bought a pixelskin for my 4, the plastic bit around the camera and flash fell apart and the tiny string above the connector broke.

Then replaced it by a candyshell... it got scratched to hell really fast. The headphone port was too small for the cable to connect the phone to the car stereo and after 10 times of removing the case to plug it in it broke down.

I agree in general, although in my experience, all cellphone cases are cheap, even Otterboxes. I'm hoping the TakTik won't be. Anyway, the Candyshell for the 5 seems to be a great fit and feels like it will work if I drop the phone, but the back has definitely gotten scratched up. Doesn't take any time for it to happen. However, the headphone opening is a bit larger, so hopefully more compatible with more jacks. All in all, I'm happy enough with the case for now as an interim case.

I tried googling it and it returned a lot of hits where a lot of other people have noted that their phones look really yellow next to the 4/4S. Some people said their displays are much cooler, I know the color is totally off cause it is incredibly noticeable next to the 4 where the whites look completely white. The 5 looks like I'm running F. lux on it or something :/

The "Yellow" you're noticing is most likely a redder display rather than the bluer display of the iPhone 4. Accurate color at 6500K tends to be a lot redder than people are used to because most displays have a cool blue temperature to them.

jcm

Grandfathered on old datapro. I learned my lesson here, will not be downloading podcasts over wireless anymore. Was never an issue with my 3G until I switched to LTE. I think the change I need to make is not stream, but only download from now on. Now to survive on 500mb for 28 days...

Ha. 500mb is a two months supply for me.

rinse82

So - swapped my Black 16GB for a replacement at the Apple Store and now I have no issues connecting to secured WPA2 wifi networks. Guess it was a hardware issue with mine.

Happy now.

MedIC86

Does anyone have an idea what the turnover rate is for the iphone 5's that are being produced. I mean; i can get an iphone 5 in december, and im wondering if i get one that is already produced and is laying somewhere in a warehouse, or do they sell so fast that i get one that is produced near December?

Hope's it not to vague :)

acksman

Home stretch, mine left China on the 22nd and is out for delivery today. Not to bad of a wait for ordering on the 2nd day through Apple.

Screen brightness.

The backlight is what will use most of your battery life.

This!

I learned over the years on my touch that dropping the backlight to about 30% when at home would extend the already poor touch battery by a good chunk, and with my ipad currently if I do the same thing you can really notice the battery lasting longer by watching the percentage in the corner over an hour of use.

Auto brightness might be sticking the phone to 100% when out in the sunlight, you really don't want that, add that in to web browsing or playing a game and that battery will just drain like mad.

Appleman

The LTE really is amazing, even if iPhones are late to the party. Just pulled 60 Mbps down and 30 up in north east Toronto, craaaziness.

jcm

Does anyone have an idea what the turnover rate is for the iphone 5's that are being produced. I mean; i can get an iphone 5 in december, and im wondering if i get one that is already produced and is laying somewhere in a warehouse, or do they sell so fast that i get one that is produced near December?

Hope's it not to vague :)
Apple turns over its entire inventory every five days. If you buy a phone in December it will have been built in November at the earliest.

Correction. 300MB after everything settled this morning.
Well, now you're in my world (actually I only get 200MB per month, but it's close enough). Plan ahead, and download as much as you can via wifi. No streaming allowed. Light web browsing and email is ok. Good luck.

The LTE really is amazing, even if iPhones are late to the party. Just pulled 60 Mbps down and 30 up in north east Toronto, craaaziness.

Yea, it really is. I was getting 10mb down on hspa+ since I don't have lte where I live. But man even that is Sooo much faster than the 0.5mb down I was gettin on my iphone 4.

I have lte at the office and its godlike. Even though att lte speeds turn to hot garbage in midtown :( still so much better than what I was getting on regular 3g.

andycapps

The new earpods are.. frustrating. They sound great when they're in and situated right. And then 30 seconds later I move slightly and they almost fall out. Can't imagine trying to work out in these pieces of shit. I just wish they would have given some kind of rubber attachments to make it go in your ear canal and stay there. My $15 Sony ones work much better in that aspect, sound just as good, and have 3 different sizes with them to adapt to people's ear sizes. Wish Apple had gone that route.

The new earpods are.. frustrating. They sound great when they're in and situated right. And then 30 seconds later I move slightly and they almost fall out. Can't imagine trying to work out in these pieces of shit. I just wish they would have given some kind of rubber attachments to make it go in your ear canal and stay there. My $15 Sony ones work much better in that aspect, sound just as good, and have 3 different sizes with them to adapt to people's ear sizes. Wish Apple had gone that route.

Yea, it seems to be hit or miss. They for perfectly for me. But then again my head is ducking huge...

X-Frame

I feel the same. They sound much much better but don't stay in as well as the previous apple earphones. So I use them for music or movies when I am not moving around much but I can't workout with them since they will fall out easier.

There should be some of that rubber on the earpods somewhere for more grip like the last ones. The plastic moves too much, for me at least.

thaOwner

Hey guys, i posted in the official buy/sell/trade thread and i am trying here as well. I dropped my gs3 and the screen is cracked pretty bad. I am looking to replace it with the 4s GSM version. If anyone is willing to sell, please send me a pm. Thanks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I didn't notice it until seeing them plugged in side by side, but the USB end of the Lightning plug is actually quite a bit smaller than a 4S one. Neat.

SuperPac

I haven't worked out in them yet but I've been using them while working and they haven't fallen out yet and are way more comfortable than the previous earbuds. Personally, I can't deal with in-ear headphones with the rubber attachments - they've never fit right or comfortably for me despite the usual 3 extra attachments.

Soybean

I'm still seeing a few megabytes of cellular data usage during the workday even connected to wifi the entire time. As someone here explained to me, wifi gets deactivated when the screen is locked. Plus I've learned push notifications always go over cellular. This stuff adds up. It's such a pain to constantly enable/disable cellular data but I guess that's the way to go.

Tobor

I'm still seeing a few megabytes of cellular data usage during the workday even connected to wifi the entire time. As someone here explained to me, wifi gets deactivated when the screen is locked. Plus I've learned push notifications always go over cellular. This stuff adds up. It's such a pain to constantly enable/disable cellular data but I guess that's the way to go.

How small is your data plan?

LCfiner

I think I might be relatively lucky with the new earphones. they fit well in my ears, don't shake out when I move my head around or walk around. And as someone who has tried and fail to use high end IEMs for years due to comfort issues with tips (I now use high end over ear cans for listening), I'm glad that these remain buds that sit along the visible surface of the ear, and don't jam deep inside the ear canal.

I used them a bunch last week (I had bought them separately) and maintain my initial impressions that these are very good pack-in earphones. heck, I like them more than a lot of the overpriced fashion phones that cost hundreds and just bloat bass and ruin the sound (imo). at least these attempt to remain somewhat neutral in frequency response.

-griffy-

Banned
When I first got my iPhone 4 I had a 200mb plan and I was fine when on wifi all month. I don't think you have anything to worry about at 4gb.

I used the online reservation system last night and I should be able to pick up my phone from the SoHo store later today.

Got any tips on how to use this?

I just went on Apple.com and went all the way to completion of my order, and it said store pickup was not an option right now, and that it updates at 10pm nightly.

Does that mean I should attempt my order each night after 10pm?

andycapps

I haven't worked out in them yet but I've been using them while working and they haven't fallen out yet and are way more comfortable than the previous earbuds. Personally, I can't deal with in-ear headphones with the rubber attachments - they've never fit right or comfortably for me despite the usual 3 extra attachments.

I'm giving them another go today. They came with the phone so I have no complaints about cost, but I just wish they'd gone a little further with the design to make them stay in better. Maybe a rubberized like material. Or done the in-ear design. I like that the porting allows you to hear more background noise, though.

Or switch to Sprint/get a bigger data plan.

Got any tips on how to use this?

I just went on Apple.com and went all the way to completion of my order, and it said store pickup was not an option right now, and that it updates at 10pm nightly.

Does that mean I should attempt my order each night after 10pm?

Yeah, although for some reason I think the 10PM is actually based on PST so I couldn't place an order until 1 AM last night.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think I might be relatively lucky with the new earphones. they fit well in my ears, don't shake out when I move my head around or walk around. And as someone who has tried and fail to use high end IEMs for years due to comfort issues with tips (I now use high end over ear cans for listening), I'm glad that these remain buds that sit along the visible surface of the ear, and don't jam deep inside the ear canal.

I used them a bunch last week (I had bought them separately) and maintain my initial impressions that these are very good pack-in earphones. heck, I like them more than a lot of the overpriced fashion phones that cost hundreds and just bloat bass and ruin the sound (imo). at least these attempt to remain somewhat neutral in frequency response.

Are they better than Apple's In-Ear headphones?

ido

Scared to upgrade my 4S. Still have yet to upgrade to iOS6.

My real wonder is if we will get a 6 next year or something like a 5S. I may wait until next year, I think.

Scared to upgrade my 4S. Still have yet to upgrade to iOS6.

My real wonder is if we will get a 6 next year or something like a 5S. I may wait until next year, I think.

At this point I think they'll update every year, sadly...

IMPORTANT BUSINESS : going tomorrow to buy either a black one or a white one.

Very tempted by the black one (dislike white phones mostly...) but I HATE scratches...

Does the black one most easily get scratched ?

Is there some kind of bumper protection that covers the back of the phone ?

Thanks !

Does the black one most easily get scratched ?

Is there some kind of bumper protection that covers the back of the phone ?

White devices hide scratches/dust better, in general. I'm guessing both are probably equally susceptible to scratching, though.

There are a bunch of TPU cases that also cover the back. Most retailers have a generic bumper with back coverage.

Top Bottom