• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Scared to upgrade my 4S. Still have yet to upgrade to iOS6.

My real wonder is if we will get a 6 next year or something like a 5S. I may wait until next year, I think.

Well, let's review the history of the iPhone for a moment and see if we notice a pattern.

2007 - iPhone
2008 - iPhone 3G
2009 - iPhone 3GS
2010 - iPhone 4
2011 - iPhone 4S
2012 - iPhone 5

Yes, we'll get another iPhone next year, just like we do every year, and it will likely be called the iPhone 5S. Every 2 years you get the bigger changes, and this year is one of those years.

Mairu

XhF4Gl.png

Anyone know what might be causing every minute of standby to be counted as both usage and standby? I have push email on 3 accounts but it seems odd that it would cause that.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Have an appointment tonight with the geniuses to replace my black 5... got a weird discolouration/scuff on the back chamfer.. sigh.

andycapps

XhF4Gl.png

Anyone know what might be causing every minute of standby to be counted as both usage and standby? I have push email on 3 accounts but it seems odd that it would cause that.

Obviously you had the screen on the entire time. Because as we all know, the display is the biggest consumer of your battery. /sarcasm

No clue why that happened. When I was on Android, we'd term that type of thing as something having "wake-lock." Basically, it looks like some process is staying open all the time and is a rogue process. But there's no way of knowing which one it is on iOS, that I know of. Maybe someone has some tricks that they know of to find out what's keeping it awake.

I believe this is caused by an app being "stuck open", and thus the device never thinks it was completely asleep. I think you can fix this by doing a hard reboot. Holding down the lock and home buttons until you see the white Apple icon pop up.

knitoe

Received my white 64GB today. Thank goodness, no scruff or scratches. Bought this cheap case until powermat comes out with iPhone 5 version. I thought wireless charging was a gimmick, but after using with them on a iPhone 4 & 4S, it's going to be hard to go back to inserting a wire.

51c%2BxGx9%2BHL._SX300_.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
What are people using for protection plans for their ip5?

Applecare+
$99 upfront, $50 if replacement is needed, doesn't cover lost/stolen

ATT
$0 upfront, $6.99/month, $199 if anything happens to it (including lost/stolen)

I sort of prefer applecare but iphones are getting stolen at a crazy rate here in the SF Bay Area. My wife had hers snatched off the table where she was having lunch just a few weeks ago. Is there any supplemental insurance people use with Applecare?

someone stealing an iPhone is gonna get some nice bonus cash

I won't do it. Sorry. It's bad enough my ENTIRE life, business, habits address, family and friends address and extremely personal details are all on my phone I'm not about to put access to my finances through an easily exploitable phone.

Sure, credit cards can be exploited too but on my cell phone just exposes more than I'm comfortable with.

I just read the article on macrumors. WTF...

Looks like they won't do shit about this "scuffgate" problem then?

They'll replace your phone if it came scratched. There's nothing false about what he said. Aluminum products scratch. That is normal. It isn't expected to get it scratched, so they will replace it for you if it is.

Obviously you had the screen on the entire time. Because as we all know, the display is the biggest consumer of your battery. /sarcasm

No clue why that happened. When I was on Android, we'd term that type of thing as something having "wake-lock." Basically, it looks like some process is staying open all the time and is a rogue process. But there's no way of knowing which one it is on iOS, that I know of. Maybe someone has some tricks that they know of to find out what's keeping it awake.

Compare the time it takes to kill your battery at the lowest brightness to the time it takes to kill it with the highest brightness.

Why is my iPhone still in the processing items stage when I selected pick up from a local store and it says it's in stock? Damn you Apple!

What are people using for protection plans for their ip5?

Applecare+
$99 upfront, $50 if replacement is needed, doesn't cover lost/stolen

ATT
$0 upfront, $6.99/month, $199 if anything happens to it (including lost/stolen)

I sort of prefer applecare but iphones are getting stolen at a crazy rate here in the SF Bay Area. My wife had hers snatched off the table where she was having lunch just a few weeks ago. Is there any supplemental insurance people use with Applecare?

What would stop somebody from claiming their iPhone was stolen, getting a new one for $199, and then selling the one that got "stolen"?

What would stop somebody from claiming their iPhone was stolen, getting a new one for $199, and then selling the one that got "stolen"?

Beyond the fact that you would be committing insurance fraud? You'd probably have to file a police report if you claim that it was stolen.

Beyond the fact that you would be committing insurance fraud? You'd probably have to file a police report if you claim that it was stolen.

So that would lead your phone's serial # to be tracked as a stolen phone? I wouldn't do it myself, but it seems like something a lot of people would try to pull.

So that would lead your phone's serial # to be tracked as a stolen phone? I wouldn't do it myself, but it seems like something a lot of people would try to pull.

I haven't gone through the process but I imagine that if you told AT&T that your phone was stolen they wouldn't just take your word for it. And yes, at the very least that phone would almost certainly be marked as stolen.

The carrier has your phones ESN/Serial thingy/IMEI on file and would deactivate it's cellular chip on the network upon learning it was stolen.

bionic77

UPS is weird. My phone sat in China for almost 3 days, now the phone shipped to Korea where it will arrive in PA by Thursday evening.

Dude, it's insurance fraud.

I understand that. And I'm certainly not intending to try it. It just came to mind as something very easy to do and thought it might be something a lot of people would try. Sounds like they AT&T has also thought of that and placed counter-measures, which I shouldn't be surprised about.

I understand that. And I'm certainly not intending to try it. It just came to mind as something very easy to do and thought it might be something a lot of people would try. Sounds like they AT&T has also thought of that and placed counter-measures, which I shouldn't be surprised about.

I mean, what's to stop anyone from committing any crime? What's to stop me from snatching some girls new iPhone 5 while she cries and sell it on CL?

Human Decency.

Marco1

I just pre-ordered a 32GB Black ip5 on the apple store UK.
They are stating 3-4 weeks delivery yet I am hearing of people going into stores and swapping their models 3-4 times because of the damage to new units. I then hear than stores are full of contract only phones.
Who the fuck is in charge of apple retail?

xnipx

You don't need a police report. My iPhone was stolen and all I had to do was call and pay the deductible. Find my iPhone was turned off within 30 minutes of me losing it and AT&T said there was nothing they could do to deactivate it or stop them from using it if they wiped the phone and unlocked it.

Piggus

I bought one of those cheap sleeves to use until the new SENA Ultraslim comes out in a month. I absolutely hate cases that stay on the phone. Why would you buy something so thin and beautiful and then make it bulky and ugly?

Just out of curiosity did anyone pre-order from a "Best Buy Mobile" (seperate stand alone mobile store) and get their phone yet?

Apparently mine hasn't yet received an initial shipment, so I am holding out a little hope that I see one this week, but when I stopped by my local big box Best Buy they said they had only received 20 units and had over 100 more pre-orders to fulfill. Has me wondering if the box stores will fill all their orders before the little mobile only stores even see their first shipment.

JDeluis

I bought one of those cheap sleeves to use until the new SENA Ultraslim comes out in a month. I absolutely hate cases that stay on the phone. Why would you buy something so thin and beautiful and then make it bulky and ugly?

Because this will accidentally happened to your phone when you get out of the car and falls on concrete.

5F7A3AA5-C0E7-4A6F-BBAC-C2BD1FB6EC6F-54508-000044EBB491B30E_zps16f48a3a.jpg

Top Bottom