• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bionic77

Thinking of picking up a black 5/16gb, was figuring early November...

For those who got a 4/4S after release, how long before they were easy to get in stores... walk in, in stock, no hassles? I'm hoping by November that is the case with 5.
Pretty sure you will be able to get a phone in November with no hassle. By then the stocks should be pretty decent. Especially @ an Apple store.

plainr_

Yay! I'm finally getting my iPhone 5 after being stuck in backorder hell. Got an email stating it's been shipped just minutes ago. Fedex says it's coming tomorrow.

AT&T messed up big but I'm not complaining since they credited $150~ to my account. :)

Piggus

Because this will accidentally happened to your phone when you get out of the car and falls on concrete.

5F7A3AA5-C0E7-4A6F-BBAC-C2BD1FB6EC6F-54508-000044EBB491B30E_zps16f48a3a.jpg

I've done that multiple times and with a sleeve my phone was perfectly fine. You don't need an ugly permanent case to keep your phone safe.

Recon

Banned
I've done that multiple times and with a sleeve my phone was perfectly fine. You don't need an ugly permanent case to keep your phone safe.

I keep asking this question, but no one answers, but why do you even give a shit about what others do to their phones? I mean, it is a fucking phone. Case or no case, why give a shit?

Friend at work had his new iphone 5 today so I finally got to see it in person, damn son it really is light and thin, plus the longer screen is much nicer then staring at pictures on your computer and thinking that it might not work because it does, it really does.

Not seen any game apps running on it yet but it seems really quick to do things, even siri was fast(ish) with questions.

Black iphone 5 looks so sexy too, he has a protector and leather case for it so it should keep scratch free.

Piggus

I keep asking this question, but no one answers, but why do you even give a shit about what others do to their phones? I mean, it is a fucking phone. Case or no case, why give a shit?

I'm just curious, man. Relax. It's a beautiful piece of hardware so I just don't understand the point of covering it all up needlessly.

Epix

With those iPhone wallets is the idea to carry the phone in your back pocket (ala a wallet) or to carry your wallet in your front pocket (ala a phone)?

PSGames

So guys if you remember from yesterday I was getting horrible battery life with LTE off and doing a lot of browsing, texting but that's it:

GayEF.png

Today I left my LTE on and have pretty much done the same things and I'm getting this:

LxeEX.png

Crazy!

With those iPhone wallets is the idea to carry the phone in your back pocket (ala a wallet) or to carry your wallet in your front pocket (ala a phone)?

You can carry them however you want. I see a lot of people that carry their phones in their back pocket.

I personally don't carry my wallet in my backpocket. Too easy for pickpockets to snag. I always keep wallet + keys in left pocket. Iphone in right pocket.

Going to upgrade from my 4S soon. I had a white one but I don't think I'll get another in that colour. I got two tiny pieces of dust or fluff or something inbetween the home button and front panel, and on the back where the glass is sandwiched to the edge of the phone. It's really annoying and being white it shows up easily. My phone has always been in either an Incase or a Incipio case. I could understand the front fluff but the back is just weird.

Anyway, unprotected black 5 for me. I don't care about it scratching to be honest, if its anything like old cameras and aluminium fuel caps on cars that get oxidised over time, it will add character :) will be keeping it for at least two years, maybe more.

Damn, just got off the phone with the Apple store I had supposedly reserved my iPhone at and apparently they have no phones available until the next shipment, even though the website told me there were phones in stock and I placed my order as soon as the system came online.

Damn, just got off the phone with the Apple store I had supposedly reserved my iPhone at and apparently they have no phones available until the next shipment, even though the website told me there were phones in stock and I placed my order as soon as the system came online.

Really? What's the point of the system then?

Really? What's the point of the system then?

The person that I talked to said that she thinks a ton of people ordered at the same time and I just got unlucky with where my order ended up which I'm sure is possible but I literally ordered mine within a minute or two of it coming online.

mr2xxx

Banned
nothing. people just sell it on Ebay as 'BAD IMEI, DOESN'T WORK ON AT&T' and people buy them up and use them on T-Mobile.

thats crazy, also just read that verizons iphones work on at&t and t-mobile now. Just found out that my 15% verizon discount only applies to the data plan. Might cancel early now and take both phones over to straight talk to save over $50 a month, which would be $1200 in savings over 2 years.

thats crazy, also just read that verizons iphones work on at&t and t-mobile now. Just found out that my 15% verizon discount only applies to the data plan. Might cancel early now and take both phones over to straight talk to save over $50 a month, which would be $1200 in savings over 2 years.

some people just don't care about the law. that's also why US carriers are working out a way to pool bad ESN/IMEI lists into one large list.

sikkinixx

Was at the mall buying a nano-SIM for my unlocked phone (it DID say Monday delivery but that has since disappeared from UPS' tracking site) and couldn't resist checking out the Apple Store.

So light. Fuck me, makes my 4 seems like a damn brick. Super fast and I liked the extra space. I had my hand-shuffle to touch all parts of the screen down pretty easy. Black looks better in person, stealth-bomber like but I'm stoked I got the white. The silver sides look a lot better than the black sides imho.

No scuffgate phones at the store either though one looked like someone had gone to work on it...

LCfiner

Are they better than Apple's In-Ear headphones?

I'll have to get back to you later today about that. They're certainly more comfortable for me.

Hey Greyface, in case you're still curious, I listened to the earpods and the Apple IEMs (the dual driver model in stores now, not the old one from the early 2000s). I ran both from the output of the fostex HP-P1 so I was using a much better DAC/ Amp than what's in the iphone 4S

the IEMs are better. they provide more clarity and I can hear more elements making up the subtle texture of instruments - mainly acoustic guitar in the songs I listened to this evening. The ear pods have more bass mixed in with the mids (which might make them more pleasant for some music) and there's also more grain or artificialness of the sound with them. The IEMs sound better to me: more clear, faster, less grainy and tinny, better balanced across the FR.

But, as typical with my ears, the IEMs felt uncomfortable after only a few minutes, even with the tiny silicons tips. So the IEMs go back in the drawer and the earpods remain the inexpensive on-the-go earbud for me at this time.

God, I hope so.

The Apple dual driver IEMs are not bad. For 80 bucks, they compare well with other options in that price range. good clarity and balance. slightly bass light but not exactly thin. Yes, I have heard better with IEMs, but the ones I have tried have all been well over 100 bucks.

mcfrank

So guys if you remember from yesterday I was getting horrible battery life with LTE off and doing a lot of browsing, texting but that's it:

GayEF.png

Today I left my LTE on and have pretty much done the same things and I'm getting this:

LxeEX.png

Crazy!

Did you have a geofence on in the first pic (location aware reminder)? That will murder your battery life.

NYR

that is impossible for me to do since my phone randomly turns it self off when it is below 10 % and says it is out of battery and needs recharging

think the battery indicator is way off
The battery charge can be re-calibrated by letting it charge all the way to 0% and then charging to 100%.

Of course...if you can't get to zero, you have a busted phone. Apple store. Replacement. Go.

LaneDS

Hard to see but easy to feel surface scratches on the edges of my black 5 now. Running my thumb along the right side of the device and it's more apparent the material used for the edges is really, really susceptible to dings.

Mairu

Not sure if anyone cares, but I figured out the solution to this problem

Apparently it was the Uniqlo Alarm Clock app. Somehow I guess it stays on in the background and messes with the battery figures, because once I closed it the steady count started going up without the usage count going up in sync. I'll have to do another full to empty charge one day. Makes me sad because I really like that app. Oh well, I can still use it on my Nexus 7.

You can carry them however you want. I see a lot of people that carry their phones in their back pocket.

I personally don't carry my wallet in my backpocket. Too easy for pickpockets to snag. I always keep wallet + keys in left pocket. Iphone in right pocket.

That sounds insane to me. I don't want to sit on my $400 phone!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Well, just got back from apple store...

They won't replace scuffed phones that were bought online as there's no way to 'prove' that the damage was there on arrival... told me to call apple and have them RMA me a new one from the online store.

At this point, I have applecare plus... so I'll just use it caseless and if something major happens, I can at least replace it that way.. and I'll save my 'last' replacement for the day before my coverage expires :p

gamma

Well, just got back from apple store...

They won't replace scuffed phones that were bought online as there's no way to 'prove' that the damage was there on arrival... told me to call apple and have them RMA me a new one from the online store.

At this point, I have applecare plus... so I'll just use it caseless and if something major happens, I can at least replace it that way.. and I'll save my 'last' replacement for the day before my coverage expires :p

Well, I too went to the Apple Store today and did exactly that. I guess it depends on the store.

I will definitely be buying mine inside the Apple Store and will check it for marks inside the store. I'll probably mention up front that I will want an exchange if mine comes scuffed. They've probably heard it from half of their customers at this point though.

I'm at my local apple store now let you know how it goes. Small chip missing from the back and small scratch on the glass near the front lens. Black version. May return for a white and forget about scuff gate

Bgamer90

Banned
Compared to black? Yes.

Every girl I know that has an iPhone has a white one. White looks like a toy. Black looks like a tool.

lol.

Black is boring to me since all of the previous phones I had we're black.

White really pops and looks new/fresh. Black is boring/typical IMO.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey Greyface, in case you're still curious, I listened to the earpods and the Apple IEMs (the dual driver model in stores now, not the old one from the early 2000s). I ran both from the output of the fostex HP-P1 so I was using a much better DAC/ Amp than what's in the iphone 4S

the IEMs are better. they provide more clarity and I can hear more elements making up the subtle texture of instruments - mainly acoustic guitar in the songs I listened to this evening. The ear pods have more bass mixed in with the mids (which might make them more pleasant for some music) and there's also more grain or artificialness of the sound with them. The IEMs sound better to me: more clear, faster, less grainy and tinny, better balanced across the FR.

But, as typical with my ears, the IEMs felt uncomfortable after only a few minutes, even with the tiny silicons tips. So the IEMs go back in the drawer and the earpods remain the inexpensive on-the-go earbud for me at this time.

The Apple dual driver IEMs are not bad. For 80 bucks, they compare well with other options in that price range. good clarity and balance. slightly bass light but not exactly thin. Yes, I have heard better with IEMs, but the ones I have tried have all been well over 100 bucks.

Thanks for the writeup

Top Bottom