• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Dumb question but its been so long since I have had a new phone I cant remember if I am supposed to charge it all the way up before I turn it on or I turn it on drain it all the way then charge it.

andycapps

This was my battery life for today at work. Pretty typical, though slightly above what normal usage will be. That time was all on 3G. If I'm on wifi the battery lasts forever.

Definitely room for them to improve on battery life in small updates but it's not horrible to me.

E3278BE2-866F-4227-B20B-A5FB3F86D933-1312-000000671903DFC3.jpg

This was my battery life for today at work. Pretty typical, though slightly above what normal usage will be. That time was all on 3G. If I'm on wifi the battery lasts forever.

Definitely room for them to improve on battery life in small updates but it's not horrible to me.

E3278BE2-866F-4227-B20B-A5FB3F86D933-1312-000000671903DFC3.jpg

I am at 16% battery life with the usage of five hours and 20 minutes and the standby of 21 hours and 56 minutes

Dumb question but its been so long since I have had a new phone I cant remember if I am supposed to charge it all the way up before I turn it on or I turn it on drain it all the way then charge it.

you just turn it on and charge it when it gets low. or whenever you're done using it for the day. whichever is sooner.

What do you mean?

Think I know what he means, because the actual screen is behind glass it looks like there is more depth to it, a white front to the phone makes the screen look really deep in to the case where as a black front doesn't make it so obvious.

Think I know what he means, because the actual screen is behind glass it looks like there is more depth to it, a white front to the phone makes the screen look really deep in to the case where as a black front doesn't make it so obvious.

That is another part of it. So it's that plus the fact that the black/white contrast of the screen to phone is so striking. I do not prefer it.

Better use of Siri

I was walking down the street today listening to some music with the new headphones wanting to call my gf to let me in her apt. Now, wouldn't it just be easy to hold the headphone call on/off button down for about 3 seconds to activate siri and use her through the headphones.

"Siri, please call Mary Poppins"
- Call Mary Poppins phone number 77085783938
"Yes, Call her/Mary/the number"

How hard could that be to program in an app. I mean something as simple as calling someone w/o taking your phone out while using the headphones. I know bluetooths can do this but I don't want or have on.

anyone else have any useful ideas?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone else find that iTunes Match/music from iCloud doesn't work very well over 3G? It starts and stops multiple times before it finally goes, and if you switch through a few songs it does it again.

I've never had an issue with Pandora, it even works in the low signal area of my drive home. iTunes Match wouldn't work at all in the low area, and in 3G it buffered all the time...

LCfiner

Better use of Siri

I was walking down the street today listening to some music with the new headphones wanting to call my gf to let me in her apt. Now, wouldn't it just be easy to hold the headphone call on/off button down for about 3 seconds to activate siri and use her through the headphones.

How hard could that be to program in an app. I mean something as simple as calling someone w/o taking your phone out while using the headphones. I know bluetooths can do this but I don't want or have on.

umm... this works. I just did it (with a 4S, but still). I'm using the apple headphones with the mic and three buttons. hold down the middle button for a few seconds and you hear the siri "chime". say your bit and it works like you expect.

Raw64life

Got my first scuff today. Not quite as enraged as most here would be but it's still annoying. Any consensus on a good case yet. This case looks to be pretty much what I want but of course it's sold out and who knows when it will be for sale again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Better use of Siri

This works with plain ol' voice recognition on the 4. It should work with Siri?

LaneDS

Got my first scuff today. Not quite as enraged as most here would be but it's still annoying. Any consensus on a good case yet. This case looks to be pretty much what I want but of course it's sold out and who knows when it will be for sale again.

Black one? Still leaning towards swapping for the white just to avoid the more visible scuffs. Shame I like using the phone so much otherwise I'd just outright return the thing and wait for the 5S or whatever follow-up that (hopefully) addresses the issue.

Soulstar

Better use of Siri

? It works with my s4i's.

Koyuga

Better use of Siri

I'm listening to music and was curious after reading this, so I tried it out and was blown away when it worked! Sent a few text messages and changed what I was listening to without touching or even looking at my phone lol
Dat apple magic~

So that Mountek CD mount I ordered turned out to be pretty good! Slots into my otherwise redundant CD slot and tightens so it won't fall out, and the clamp for the phone is all foam rubber so it holds it firmly without danger of scuffs! Recommended.

1hbGZ.jpg

does it obscure the bottom of the phone so you can't charge it or plug into aux ports?
There's a little holder shelf on the bottom with a hole which fits a 30-pin dock connector and easily fits the Lightning cable. It's a little snug for the audio jack cable but mine fit just fine. If it's a problem the bottom shelf can be removed altogether, it just snaps on and off.

LaneDS

Where'd you order from Gary? My phone apparently takes the most damage in the car, where previous iPhones sat happily in one of the cup holders, but the plastic is apparently enough to scuff up the side (which sucks). Pretty neat how it uses the CD player in any case.

Edit: Thanks!

Man this anodized aluminum is so god damn sexy. i'm obsessed with the orange of the silent button against the black...Also they really packed the bottom of the phone. The top feels really bare without the headphone jack there. It's a welcomed change though. I went naked for the two year lifespan of my iphone 4, but I don't think I want to do that again.

Now if only my iCloud backup would load faster so I could use the damned thing.

Kibbles

Is it normal for USPS to never update their tracking? Still have electronic info received or whatever. I mean I know they suck but it hasn't changed at all the past 3 days.

edit: Not like anyone cared but it finally updated, I guess it wasn't even shipped until today >_>

andycapps

I also made a bunch of phone calls, but the battery for me is getting slightly better every day since launch.

It could be due to the battery calibrating itself. Batteries don't really get better, but the phone gets better at telling you how much juice is left. I've been trying to run my battery down all the way for the first week to get that calibrating done.

andycapps

There's a little holder shelf on the bottom with a hole which fits a 30-pin dock connector and easily fits the Lightning cable. It's a little snug for the audio jack cable but mine fit just fine. If it's a problem the bottom shelf can be removed altogether, it just snaps on and off.

Can you post that link again? Looks nice and I have a trip next week.

Homeboyd

That's pretty sexy. Where are most people around here picking up cases? i.e. where are the best cases?

Vyer

So that Mountek CD mount I ordered turned out to be pretty good! Slots into my otherwise redundant CD slot and tightens so it won't fall out, and the clamp for the phone is all foam rubber so it holds it firmly without danger of scuffs! Recommended.

1hbGZ.jpg

Hmm. What kind of car is that? Do you find it blocks any major dash controls?

Doodis

Thanks, Gary. Been wondering what I would do now that my current mount won't work with the 5.

Vyer

Anyone else find that iTunes Match/music from iCloud doesn't work very well over 3G? It starts and stops multiple times before it finally goes, and if you switch through a few songs it does it again.

I've never had an issue with Pandora, it even works in the low signal area of my drive home. iTunes Match wouldn't work at all in the low area, and in 3G it buffered all the time...

I would have that issue with 3G, but it tended to bother my Pandora too.

Top Bottom