• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can vouch for the Mountek CD slot mount. It works well. The only problem with it is that the button to release the clamp is in a terrible spot. But if you get the right amount of clamping action, it will hold the phone in place firmly enough to prevent it from falling out, but loosely enough that you can just pull it in and out of it.

Tobor

So that Mountek CD mount I ordered turned out to be pretty good! Slots into my otherwise redundant CD slot and tightens so it won't fall out, and the clamp for the phone is all foam rubber so it holds it firmly without danger of scuffs! Recommended.

1hbGZ.jpg

Looks great! Mine should be here on Thursday. :)

jts

...hate me...
So that Mountek CD mount I ordered turned out to be pretty good! Slots into my otherwise redundant CD slot and tightens so it won't fall out, and the clamp for the phone is all foam rubber so it holds it firmly without danger of scuffs! Recommended.

1hbGZ.jpg

Oh shit, this is genius. I do have a suction up windshield mount but this seems so much smarter and practical, not to mention more stable.

Will get.

Hmm. What kind of car is that? Do you find it blocks any major dash controls?
Ford Escape. The mount covers my radio preset buttons but I can still reach them. You can attach it a couple of different ways so it covers parts of the dash you need the least. I guess every car dash layout is different, but it works well with mine.

Oh and you can swivel the mount to put the phone in landscape mode too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ford Escape. The mount covers my radio preset buttons but I can still reach them. You can attach it a couple of different ways so it covers parts of the dash you need the least. I guess every car dash layout is different, but it works well with mine.

If the swivel gets loose on you, you can just tighten a piece in the back and it will go back to being snug. Every so often it needs a tightening.

Tobor

I was just going to ask about that. I don't want hot air blowing on my iPhone in winter. Landscape should get it out of the way.

jts

...hate me...
I was just going to ask about that. I don't want hot air blowing on my iPhone in winter. Landscape should get it out of the way.
Landscape is not ideal for navigation on iPhone though, at least in my experience. The new taller screen should only reinforce that.

But even without rotating it you probably can manage to put it in a position where the vents are avoided, from what I read.

Bummer that this seems to be a US product, not available worldwide. Will have to import :/

Tobor

Landscape is not ideal for navigation on iPhone though, at least in my experience. The new taller screen should only reinforce that.

But even without rotating it you probably can manage to put it in a position where the vents are avoided, from what I read.

Bummer that this seems to be a US product, not available worldwide. Will have to import :/

True. I'll have to play with it when it arrives.

Terrell

So, has anyone posted the iPhone 5's first major crippling bug?

"No Service" or "No SIM" messages that won't go away until the phone is rebooted.

Apple appears to be replacing phones with this issue to collect samples to confirm if it's a hardware bug or not.

Most commonly occuring on AT&T network in the US and carriers that use the Telus/Bell networks in Canada (Koodo and Virgin are included in that) and is suspected to occur when the phone switches from LTE to 3G while the phone is in sleep mode or issues with towers not synching up with the phone correctly.

I made it go away by resetting network settings, but I'm waiting for it to reoccur since I think the service coming back can be better attributed to a reboot that comes with the network settings reset.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
When I was at the apple store and asked about my battery seemingly draining too fast, the genius mentioned that new batteries take time to acclimatize and the electrons still need to settle.

It sounded like bs and still does, but I have noticed the percentage indicator doesn't seem to drain as quickly as it did just a few days ago.

matt360

Wow now I feel like an idiot for not trying it first.
But thank you apple for thinking of us lazy people and siri.

Don't worry about it. I didn't know you could do that either. I'm always finding new shortcuts and functions even a year or two after getting it (referring to my iPhone 4).

motherfucker. had a phone in my cart to be picked up at Pasadena Apple Store tomorrow, which updated its inventory at 10 and had it available, by the time I hit the order button they were out of stock. Oh well, I'll try tomorrow.

Mr.Fresh

Yay my phone is fixed! I can officially join in on the conversation.

Was thinking about going with a clear case from casemate but I think it would look Better on white and I have black.

Marco1

This year was the first time I sold my 4S before the new launch and it has been the most frustrating iphone purchase I've ever had.
The reserve system in the UK doesn't tell you how many phones your store has in stock and it doesn't alert you to when they are expecting more.
So you're left sitting in the dark like mushrooms waiting.
The next time I will be doing what I normally do, sell my phone at Christmas and pick one up by walking into a store.

Mindwipe

When I was at the apple store and asked about my battery seemingly draining too fast, the genius mentioned that new batteries take time to acclimatize and the electrons still need to settle.

It sounded like bs and still does, but I have noticed the percentage indicator doesn't seem to drain as quickly as it did just a few days ago.

"Wait for the electrons to settle down." Lolz.

While is explanation is indeed bs, the effect will be the same - iOS nees to to calibrate it's battery measurement, and that takes a few days. Full charge cycles (i.e. run it down completely and charge fully back up) for the first week is the best plan and everything should be good.

Septimius

Do I need to open ports to make wifi sync work?

I can't seem to make songs successfully transfer.

To sync your phone to your computer via wifi at home? No, you're on the same private network. "Opening ports" will be allowing traffic from the outside world in, and routing is to tell which IP on the private network the public traffic should reach. So it's not relevant when you're on the same network.

Number45

Do I need to open ports to make wifi sync work?

I can't seem to make songs successfully transfer.
Do you have a firewall running on the PC where iTunes is? Might be worth disabling it to see if that resolves the problem. That said, I run Norton at home and didn't have any problems when I last tried it (which was some time ago, before I signed up to iTunes Match).

LordCanti

To sync your phone to your computer via wifi at home? No, you're on the same private network. "Opening ports" will be allowing traffic from the outside world in, and routing is to tell which IP on the private network the public traffic should reach. So it's not relevant when you're on the same network.

Hmm... on the phone's end, it says it successfully syncs, but the songs I've added (and checkmarked) in Itunes don't show up.

Maybe this is just a weird Itunes/Windows quirk.

Do you have a firewall running on the PC where iTunes is? Might be worth disabling it to see if that resolves the problem. That said, I run Norton at home and didn't have any problems when I last tried it (which was some time ago, before I signed up to iTunes Match).

I disabled everything and it didn't help. Oh well. Maybe the problem is WPA2 (I do have pretty spotty wifi on this phone at home).

Ok, so for some reason my app store is now loading the US version. All prices in $ and I'm in the UK.

Anyone know what might have caused this and how to change it back?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, so for some reason my app store is now loading the US version. All prices in $ and I'm in the UK.

Anyone know what might have caused this and how to change it back?
Does it still show the US store even after you sign out then login again with your account on Settings > iTunes & App Store?

Does it still show the US store even after you sign out then login again with your account on Settings > iTunes & App Store?

Thanks man, that fixed it. When I input my account details again it brought up a message that said "This Apple ID is only valid for purchases in the U.K. iTunes store. Please try your purchase again."

I didn't try and buy anything from the US store but it seems fixed now so never mind.

Top Bottom