• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Earpods are a huge upgrade over the old phones. They'll never match my ATH-M50's, but they are good enough to stay in my bag as my "on the go" headphones.

Pachimari

You won't regret it :)

It would be for my father as a surprise when he comes home from vacation. I got my mother an iPhone 4S last year, so I would like him to have one as well.

If he don't have much of a need for all the new features, then he could get my iPhone 4 and I could keep the 5 but let's see. He can't speak English (Siri is not for him then) and he don't want a larger phone (which the 5 is compared to 4).

Gonna go read The Verge's review.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think I'm having 3G issues on Verizon. LTE works great but 3G seems very slow, especially compared to my Droid X.

Trying to download an app takes forever, and I was streaming iTunes match stuff yesterday on the way home and it kept buffering. I've never had an issue streaming music or pandora on the drive home before.

Anyone else notice this with Verizon?

Yeah, SpeedTest shows 0.10 download and 0.5 up....

Koyuga

I think I'm having 3G issues on Verizon. LTE works great but 3G seems very slow, especially compared to my Droid X.

Trying to download an app takes forever, and I was streaming iTunes match stuff yesterday on the way home and it kept buffering. I've never had an issue streaming music or pandora on the drive home before.

I haven't even tried 3G on verizon yet.. I don't know how to turn LTE off.

bionic77

In my experience 3G on Verizon is pretty crappy.

Whenever my mifi is on 3G the speeds are usually pretty pathetic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In my experience 3G on Verizon is pretty crappy.

Whenever my mifi is on 3G the speeds are usually pretty pathetic.

Yeah, but like I said, before last week it was fine. Slow, but I could stream music and download apps. 0.10 download is not 3G speed.

Something is up. I emailed Verizon.

Just ordered the Incipio feather SHINE.
Anyone else have that case?

iph-871b.jpg

Just got my new phone but I can't use it yet because of activation issues (Damn you AT&T). That being said, this thing is impressively thin compared to the 4S which was already pretty damn thin.

Just ordered the Incipio feather SHINE.
Anyone else have that case?

iph-871b.jpg

I have that exact case except the volume buttons isn't exposed, just the vibrate switch, I got it from Verizon store on launch day. I like and it's comfortable to hold

Edit: I think I have a different incipio model

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Earpods are a huge upgrade over the old phones. They'll never match my ATH-M50's,
Or probably any real isolating IEMs I'd imagine, including those already made/sold by Apple sincle last two years or so. I don't even understand why they bothered with these when they already had a pair of good earbuds for sale. I'm assuming because some people don't like the isolating seal in their ears.

I have that exact case except the volume buttons isn't exposed, just the vibrate switch, I got it from Verizon store on launch day. I like and it's comfortable to hold

Edit: I think I have a different incipio model

You might have the NGP. I have an Incipio NGP for my 4 and was hoping to pick up one for the 5, but it sold out that the AT&T stores. Thanks for the idea of looking in Verizon stores!

ARGGGHGHGH!

I need second (maybe third) lightening connector... Not making it through a whole day and there apparently isn't a store with one anywhere and the apple store is quoting a 2 week backlog...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Held the phone in my hands today for a bit and it is impressively light compared to the OG 4. it feels roughly the same compared to the Galaxy S3 as that was the same reaction i had yesterday when a friend brought one over.

This friend had his 5 since Friday and always carries his phones/devices naked. I turned the device around and, sure enough, the black metal finish was wearing off along the hard, angled edges already. He freaked out for a few seconds, we laughed, and he threw the phone back on the top of the coffee table at my place. My condom-wrapped iPhone 4 is somewhere, I think. I hope I remembered to take it out of the cab.

Scorcho's review - this is a nice, fast upgrade over the 4 and 4S. Buy it if you like iOS, Apple products or others watching you using Apple products.

I'd say I'm underwhelmed, but that's only because Jobs set the bar high unfairly high. The phone is a great hardware upgrade, but it's the same spec upgrade and visual refresh that every other phone manufacturer handles yearly (often multiple times quarterly), but without the ostentatious presentation and hoopla.

So I think I saw that someone else has this problem but after a phone call my iPhone stays on "4G" instead of switching back to LTE until I turn LTE off and on. It's an annoying bug.

A purple halo seems to be the latest glitch affecting some iPhone 5 owners.

Detailed by forum users at tech review site AnandTech, the flaw reportedly occurs on photographs if you aim your iPhone 5 camera toward a bright light source such as the sun or an incandescent light. If you then move the camera so the light source is off screen, a purple halo effect can be seen through the camera. That effect also shows up on any pictures that are taken.

One poster displayed separate photos with an artificial light source and with the sun off screen, and the purple haze appeared in all of them. Another forum member posted a video displaying the purple lens flare.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...sers-reporting-purple-halo-on-certain-photos/

every tiny thing is a huge story now it seems

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, either something is up with Verizon 3G here in Iowa or something is up with my phone. I am still getting 0.03 MB on speed test. I can barely load web pages.

Finally checked it out today and it certainly is a nice phone physically. The weight feels lighter but not feeling cheap at the same time. How thin it is, is way overrated though. Every single phone was scuffed at the bottom though. Scuffs elsewhere varied from one or two to none around the rest of the side. White looked bad to me; I wonder if it's the lighting though cuz I've seen the 4 and 4S in the real world and it never looked this bad. It looked like it was old, like it was starting to yellow a bit rather than being a nice clean white. It pretty much sealed the deal that black is way better than white this time around for me which sucks because I was considering white because of the scuffs. I was pleased that I never felt anything was out of the reach of my thumb while using it. Surprisingly there were very few people checking out the phone. Most were untouched even though the store was super busy. I've never seen the iPhone section so empty so soon after the release of a new phone. I think iOS6 is what's holding me back at this point.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sweet. Looks like I may get my phone tomorrow

It's in anchorage

If it pans out, should be on ups#63 arriving around 1 am, and be on ups#488 arriving by 5 am

If it goes through sort center/customs quick enough... iPhone 5 \o/

A lot better than the October 5th that was projected

Meicyn

Gold Member
The Speck Pixelskin HD case for the 5 came in today, and I am disappointed with it. It does not have a snug fit like the 4 version had. It's just a tiny bit too large, which makes all the difference when the case should feel like an extension of the phone. I recommend giving it a pass and to look elsewhere. This'll have to hold me over for now as I wait for more reviews to come in for other cases and eventually buy a replacement. Meh.

Kaladin

Finally checked it out today and it certainly is a nice phone physically. The weight feels lighter but not feeling cheap at the same time. Every single phone was scuffed at the bottom though. Scuffs elsewhere varied from one or two to none around the rest of the side. White looked bad to me; I wonder if it's the lighting though cuz I've seen the 4 and 4S in the real world and it never looked this bad. It looked like it was old, like it was starting to yellow a bit rather than being a nice clean white. It pretty much sealed the deal that black is way better than white this time around for me which sucks because I was considering white because of the scuffs. I was pleased that I never felt anything was out of the reach of my thumb while using it. Surprisingly there were very few people checking out the phone. Most were untouched even though the store was super busy. I've never seen the iPhone section so empty so soon after the release of a new phone. I think iOS6 is what's holding me back at this point.

If these were public display units, I would expect those to have scuffs after a week or so of use. The public is rough on things they don't own.

If these were public display units, I would expect those to have scuffs after a week or so of use. The public is rough on things they don't own.

I think the scuffs at the bottom are due to the constant docking and undocking. I think this is going to happen regardless of how rough or gentle you are on it.

Fjordson

Finally checked it out today and it certainly is a nice phone physically. The weight feels lighter but not feeling cheap at the same time. How thin it is, is way overrated though. Every single phone was scuffed at the bottom though. Scuffs elsewhere varied from one or two to none around the rest of the side. White looked bad to me; I wonder if it's the lighting though cuz I've seen the 4 and 4S in the real world and it never looked this bad. It looked like it was old, like it was starting to yellow a bit rather than being a nice clean white. It pretty much sealed the deal that black is way better than white this time around for me which sucks because I was considering white because of the scuffs. I was pleased that I never felt anything was out of the reach of my thumb while using it. Surprisingly there were very few people checking out the phone. Most were untouched even though the store was super busy. I've never seen the iPhone section so empty so soon after the release of a new phone. I think iOS6 is what's holding me back at this point.
Man, I'm so damn torn with this stupid phone. I've always found black to look nicer with pieces of tech like this, but I just know that scuffing thing is going to annoy the shit of me when my phone starts to get them.

undecided

So a box was on my door when I got home in response to my support ticket for a replacement phone due to the scratches.. They sent an empty box so I can ship it off for repair after telling me they were ordering a replacement.

This situation is not being handled very well at all.

Hey AT&T, fuck you for blocking FaceTime over LTE on my grandfathered unlimited plan.

It makes zero sense. They're using Facetime over cellular as leverage to get people to go to share plans. We're already paying for our data. It shouldn't be up to AT&T to dictate how we use that data.

As an aside I really wish Facetime would be open with every other videochat protocol so someone could use Skype/Fring/etc on one end and chat w/ someone using Facetime.

EDIT: Just called because I blew through about 1.5gb in 5 days of tethering and wanted to see what my options are. Their price of 10$/gb is insane. That just insures users watch their habbits and curtail extra data usage. A better price would have users using more and paying more overall than a high per gb price.

It makes zero sense. They're using Facetime over cellular as leverage to get people to go to share plans. We're already paying for our data. It shouldn't be up to AT&T to dictate how we use that data.

As an aside I really wish Facetime would be open with every other videochat protocol so someone could use Skype/Fring/etc on one end and chat w/ someone using Facetime.

I agree with both of these points. Since we don't have a truly unlimited plan and it's essentially just a regular 5GB data plan I don't see how they're getting away with screwing us by deciding what we can and can't use our data on.

As for FaceTime, I love using it and I really wish Apple would open it up like I believe they originally said they would.

I need some spare chargers ASAP and I don't wanna pay some retarded price. Hurry up Chinese and reverse engineer this...

Yea, I bit the bullet and purchased two lightning cables. One for the job and one for my car. 20 bucks per cable but at least I can still use the old usb plug thingies! Yay! :(

Talon

Or probably any real isolating IEMs I'd imagine, including those already made/sold by Apple sincle last two years or so. I don't even understand why they bothered with these when they already had a pair of good earbuds for sale. I'm assuming because some people don't like the isolating seal in their ears.
It seems like their goal was hitting a baseline of comfort for as many people as possible. They are comfortable because they don't dig in to your ear, really. The sound is definitely decent for a $30 pair. Similar to the m6 by my ears.

McHuj

Earpods are a huge upgrade over the old phones. They'll never match my ATH-M50's, but they are good enough to stay in my bag as my "on the go" headphones.

How well do the M50's work on the iPhone. Does it have a decent DAC? That's the pair I use at work and I'm wondering how well they'll work with the iPhone when I get one.

How well do the M50's work on the iPhone. Does it have a decent DAC? That's the pair I use at work and I'm wondering how well they'll work with the iPhone when I get one.

Buy one of Fiio's pocket amps. They work quite well w/ the M50. I used a line out cord and it worked great. They haven't made a new line out cord yet, but I am sure they will soon.

border

Got a regular locked phone and I had it unlocked via http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abc553008 I'm restoring the phone now so I'll let you guys know how it goes in a little bit.

So you're still on the hook for the contract? Are you just gonna eat the ETF then?

I wonder how all of those unlocking services work. It seems like other phones had them for years, but Apple managed to prevent 3rd party unlocks for a long-ass time. What changed?

iammeiam

AT&T's customer service response times are pretty shitty right now--the fourth phone on my family plan had activation issues yesterday, and managed to delete the old grandfathered plan while failing to add the new unlimited plan. Leaves the phone with no data, and weirdly it only shows as eligible for the non-smartphone data plans now.

I call them up and put in a ticket and they tell me it'll be fixed by October 4th, which seems ridiculous even in light of an iPhone launch-related backlog.

They did give me a gigantic statement credit to make up for it, but a 10 day repair time to basically have a management-level person add a data package seems insane.

So you're still on the hook for the contract? Are you just gonna eat the ETF then?

I wonder how all of those unlocking services work. It seems like other phones had them for years, but Apple managed to prevent 3rd party unlocks for a long-ass time. What changed?

I actually use AT&T as my carrier in the U.S. it's just that I also have a sim card for another country because I'm constantly traveling so I just extended the plan that I already have with AT&T.

As for the unlocking services I haven't heard how it's working for sure but one rumor I've heard is that the unlockers have connections either with people at Apple or some carrier (this being the more likely scenario) and that they just upload the IMEIs to Apples database that way.

mrkgoo

EDIT: Just called because I blew through about 1.5gb in 5 days of tethering and wanted to see what my options are. Their price of 10$/gb is insane. That just insures users watch their habbits and curtail extra data usage. A better price would have users using more and paying more overall than a high per gb price.

Meh, if I go over my current 300MB data cap, the rate becomes $1/5MB or $200/GB.

xnipx

How exactly does your iPhone know what data plan you have on att? Do they send a special firmware update to the phone once u sign up for the family share plan?

First of all I want an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5.

I plan on buying it on contract $200 with the cheapest $60 plan and $35 activation fee, then terminating the contract for $325. Then I'm gonna get it unlocked on eBay for about $10. So, are those all the charges? Is anyone aware of something I might have missed?

Kaladin

I plan on buying it on contract $200 with the cheapest $60 plan and $35 activation fee, then terminating the contract for $325. Then I'm gonna get it unlocked on eBay for about $10. So, are those all the charges? Is anyone aware of something I might have missed?

The hassle you'll get from AT&T for trying to terminate the contract.

giga

Can you terminate your contract within 30 days? Or do they make you do it after 30 to make you eat that first month's charge and activation fee?

border

I'm sure there's one or two more completely hidden fees. You're dealing with a cell phone company after all.

AT&T is pretty incompetent as well, so they'll probably just keep billing you after you've terminated and you'll have to call them several more times to get them to stop.

It will probably be a lot less hassle if you just wait until Apple starts selling unlocked models in the US.

Can you terminate your contract within 30 days? Or do they make you do it after 30 to make you eat that first month's charge and activation fee?

I'm almost certain they make you pay for at least one month of the contract.

Edit:

Looking at all those fees added up it almost seems like you'd be better off buying an unlocked phone at full price from Apple.

Top Bottom