• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

So, how about if I buy a no commitment AT&T iPhone 5 for $649. Will it be unlocked when I restore it? I have heard conflicting reports on this. Does anyone know here for sure 100% though?

Something I just noticed, they didn't bother 'mirroring' the location of the camera on the back. I'd thought they would do that now that you could use the + button as a camera shutter.

border

So, how about if I buy a no commitment AT&T iPhone 5 for $649. Will it be unlocked when I restore it? I have heard conflicting reports on this. Does anyone know here for sure 100% though?

I'd be surprised if AT&T is even willing to sell you a no-commitment iPhone 5 right now. I imagine all inventory is being prioritized for people signing on to a contract.

If you did get one and it was locked, I don't see what there is to stop you from using one of those eBay unlock services.

Alright, thanks so much everyone!!! I think I'll probably try to buy it no commitment from the apple store, cause I don't think I'll be able to get it for less than $650 on eBay for a while.

sangreal

EDIT: Just called because I blew through about 1.5gb in 5 days of tethering and wanted to see what my options are. Their price of 10$/gb is insane. That just insures users watch their habbits and curtail extra data usage. A better price would have users using more and paying more overall than a high per gb price.

well, that is the entire point of the caps. They are designed to make you think twice about using data. It doesn't cost them shit per gb, but if everyone is using data simultaneously they would have to invest in increased capacity.

First time iPhone user here. Just bought it last Friday. So far I love it. I have been reading about some of the issues people have been having and have yet to experience any of them besides battery life. However battery life seemed to only be an issue the first two days of use before I got a full all night charge, and I disabled LTE.

Here is what I got the past day with LTE off and mainly using WiFi ~70-80% of the time, with moderate use of mainly texting, a couple pictures here and there, some games, mostly web browsing downloading/using apps, and about a 30 minute Pandora session. Not sure how good it is compared to the 4s, but it seems pretty decent to me.

XheGY.png

Haven't had any issues with the edges chipping. From Friday-Tuesday I had no case or screen protector. I left the back plastic on until I my case came in. The aluminum back doesn't have any scuffs.

CskFk.jpg

djO6B.jpg

Think im going to pick up one of these cases next...http://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/

sangreal

The Speck Pixelskin HD case for the 5 came in today, and I am disappointed with it. It does not have a snug fit like the 4 version had. It's just a tiny bit too large, which makes all the difference when the case should feel like an extension of the phone. I recommend giving it a pass and to look elsewhere. This'll have to hold me over for now as I wait for more reviews to come in for other cases and eventually buy a replacement. Meh.

Wish I read this before ordering one (comes tomorrow)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
speedtest picks the optimal server based on ping, not location.
Thank you for the info. I was worried it was another new maps issue and absent skyhook data it was just passing Sacramento to speed test which had to assume Sacramento Kansas

Edit: it says Wichita is 28 miles away when I am on LTE. Kansas is over 1000 miles from me :/

Vyer

Is the screen on the 5 supposed to be bonded closer to the glass than the 4? The 5 definitely improves on that 'display is on the glass' look that the 4 had.

Holding the two side by side right now is pretty jarring.

numble

Is the screen on the 5 supposed to be bonded closer to the glass than the 4? The 5 definitely improves on that 'display is on the glass' look that the 4 had.

Holding the two side by side right now is pretty jarring.
Yes, the touch sensor is integrated with the display panel.

KHarvey16

Thank you for the info. I was worried it was another new maps issue and absent skyhook data it was just passing Sacramento to speed test which had to assume Sacramento Kansas

Edit: it says Wichita is 28 miles away when I am on LTE. Kansas is over 1000 miles from me :/

Make sure you check your privacy settings. If you didn't allow it to use location services when you started the app the first time it'll do a bad job of picking a server unless you enable it.

If you stay up late you can try setting up an in-store pickup for one. The system goes on at 10pm PST every night so 1 AM our time.

Are you sure it's PST and not dependent on time zone?

MacRumors seems to say the opposite but I checked from 9:55-10:10 and every store within 5 states was "Unavailable" so PST would make sense from that point.

giga

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance

With the iPhone 5, we see an average dE2000 of only 2.09, which would make it the best LCD monitor I would have reviewed at AnandTech to this point. Only a couple shades of orange creep above the green error line, and nothing moves above the yellow line that would make it clearly visible to a user. Every color point at least comes close to hitting its target, and there are no errors that are excessive or you will notice in even critical use.

Wrapping up, the iPhone 5 display is a whole quantum leap better than the display on the iPhone 4. Contrast levels and light output have both been increased, and color performance is astonishing. The full sRGB gamut is present here, and color errors are remarkably low for a even a high end desktop display. While many were hoping for a move to OLED or some other screen innovation, this really is a huge step up that is very easy to quantify. To put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors, to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box.

Apple obviously has very high control over what parts they use and what comes off their assembly lines. I don't know if they are having the displays individually adjusted after they are assembled, or if the quality control is very strict, or if I just got a really remarkably lucky sample. I do know that if TV and PC Monitor vendors were able to provide displays that looked like this out of the box, professional calibrators would lose a good amount of business potentially. The new panel in the iPhone 5 is simply remarkable in quality and if it were a PC monitor, I'd give it a Gold Award on the basis of it's performance..

Filth

can someone recommend me a nice case for the 5. that grove case looks really awesome but it still says preorder and i dont know how long i can wait. ive already got 2 minor chips from the phone being in my pocket and the at&t store has by far the worst cases.

will27

Hi,
I've had my iPhone since launch day and I love so fast compared to my 4. However, I'm still getting shitty sub optimal battery life. It seems to always tap out at around 5 and half hours of usage. Any suggestions? Or should I try to exchange it?

Thanks

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure you check your privacy settings. If you didn't allow it to use location services when you started the app the first time it'll do a bad job of picking a server unless you enable it.

This fixed it, thank you. Must use ISP info to determine on wifi with location services off.

matt360

First time iPhone user here. Just bought it last Friday. So far I love it. I have been reading about some of the issues people have been having and have yet to experience any of them besides battery life. However battery life seemed to only be an issue the first two days of use before I got a full all night charge, and I disabled LTE.

Here is what I got the past day with LTE off and mainly using WiFi ~70-80% of the time, with moderate use of mainly texting, a couple pictures here and there, some games, mostly web browsing downloading/using apps, and about a 30 minute Pandora session. Not sure how good it is compared to the 4s, but it seems pretty decent to me.

XheGY.png

That battery life looks pretty good. I was getting pretty bad battery life with LTE turned on (about 5 hours of use) but after I turned it off and reset all of my network settings it has improved greatly. In fact, my numbers look almost identical to yours.

I still don't think my battery is perfectly calibrated yet. I've cycled twice now and I get about 30 minutes of moderate use before it goes to 99%. After that it starts draining a bit faster. I tried turning on LTE today and lost about 4% in just as many minutes.

KHarvey16

This fixed it, thank you. Must use ISP info to determine on wifi with location services off.

Awesome. Yeah, I noticed it was sending me to a server thousands of miles away too and popped into the settings to see if I ever enabled it.

Loved this:

To put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors, to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box.

:O

Are you sure it's PST and not dependent on time zone?

MacRumors seems to say the opposite but I checked from 9:55-10:10 and every store within 5 states was "Unavailable" so PST would make sense from that point.

When I did it on the first night it was definitely PST but it's possible that was just because that was the first night.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No question, color reproduction on iphone 5 is ridiculous. No need for any measurements to tell you that. Iphone 4/4s screen looks washed out next to it. It's for sure one of the best screens I've ever seen, only the fact that it's small diminishes its impressiveness compared to say, MBPr screen.

matt360

Hi,
I've had my iPhone since launch day and I love so fast compared to my 4. However, I'm still getting shitty sub optimal battery life. It seems to always tap out at around 5 and half hours of usage. Any suggestions? Or should I try to exchange it?

Thanks

Did you already try all the tricks to improve battery life?

giga

I'm slightly amiss here. I used this phone just two days ago and the black levels like most LCD's...well, they're not black, they're grey. I get that colour accuracy is fantastic, but he mentions greyscale accuracy and contrast, are such things able to be of top tier pedigree without the black levels to back them?
Well, LCDs will probably never match an OLED's black level. But for an LCD, a ~1350 contrast ratio is very good. Chris here is measuring all aspects of a display's performance, not just black levels. So when you combine things like out of box calibration, greyscale accuracy, color gamut, color saturation, contrast ratio, and other display characteristics, the 5 seems to perform remarkably well.

DisplayMate confirmed the same earlier: http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

nib95

Banned
Well, LCDs will probably never match an OLED's black level. But for an LCD, a ~1350 contrast ratio is very good. Chris here is measuring all aspects of a display's performance, not just black levels. So when you combine things like out of box calibration, greyscale accuracy, color gamut, color saturation, contrast ratio, and other display characteristics, the 5 seems to perform remarkably well.

DisplayMate confirmed the same earlier: http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

Are the colour accuracy woes of OLED on the software or hardware side? Could OLED panels theoretically have the colour accuracy of say, this iPhone 5 screen, whilst maintaining their current black level and contrast performance?

Unfortunately, Samsung are pretty famous for pushing obtuse colours and modes on panels, including TV's, so they're probably not the best for judging OLED colour accuracy potential. Though I very much appreciate them putting the extra modes on their mobiles (Natural seems to be the closest to accurate).

Be interesting to see how the Note II's screen compares to the S3 and iPhone 5's.

giga

Are the colour accuracy woes of OLED on the software or hardware side? Could OLED panels theoretically have the colour accuracy of say, this iPhone 5 screen, whilst maintaining their current black level and contrast performance?

Unfortunately, Samsung are pretty famous for pushing obtuse colours and modes on panels, including TV's, so they're probably not the best for judging OLED colour accuracy potential. Though I very much appreciate them putting the extra modes on their mobiles (Natural seems to be the closest to accurate).

Be interesting to see how the Note II's screen compares to the S3 and iPhone 5's.
I'm not sure actually. Need to research.

Vyer

Do you guys mind rehashing battery life improvement tricks?

not sure what the tricks would be, but I would look first at your apps, anything that may be downloading in the background, or using location services, or streaming. Also consider your brightness, backlight is one of the big things that burns through battery. I keep mine at 50% or lower generally, and the screen still looks great.

Other things like anything that might be using Push services, like email.

If after this stuff the battery still seems abnormal to you I'd go to an Apple Store and change it out. Couldn't hurt.

matt360

Do you guys mind rehashing battery life improvement tricks?

I noticed a huge improvement after turning LTE off. Kinda sucks because I have good LTE coverage, but I also have a strong wifi signal both at home and at work. So for the time being I am mostly using wifi, which saves battery.

-turn off notifications that you don't need
-turn off location services if you don't need it
-turn off LTE unless you need it
-cycle your battery
-keep your screen brightness down
-close background apps??? (Don't know if this really makes a difference. I've heard both "yes" and "no" from multiple people on multiple occasions.
-reset network settings (don't know why this works, but it seemed to help in my case. kind of a pain to re-enter all your wifi passwords and settings though).
-don't use push mail. check everything manually.
-be careful of your icloud syncs and backups, photostream, etc.

Rookje

I scratched the glass on my new iPhone 5 yesterday somehow. No idea how. My iPhone 4 is flawless after 2 years of use :/

snack

How do in store phone replacements work? You show your phone to a genius, tell them your problem and if they think its valid, you can exchange it got a new one? Do I need to bring my box and all the accessories or will they just replace my phone?

mrkgoo

How do in store phone replacements work? You show your phone to a genius, tell them your problem and if they think its valid, you can exchange it got a new one? Do I need to bring my box and all the accessories or will they just replace my phone?

In my experience, they've always only replaced the faulty part. They have them boxed up in brown boxes specifically for replacement models. Not sure about iPhone, but everything else I've replaced has been a replacement version.

Top Bottom