• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

No question, color reproduction on iphone 5 is ridiculous. No need for any measurements to tell you that. Iphone 4/4s screen looks washed out next to it. It's for sure one of the best screens I've ever seen, only the fact that it's small diminishes its impressiveness compared to say, MBPr screen.

The screen does look nicer then the 4S

Number45

I have decided to exchange my reserved ip5 black that I received this morning in a UK store.
It has scrapes on the side and although everything else is okay, I am not happy with what I've paid for.
I would like to hold onto this until a new batch comes in but how long can I hold onto this phone?
If you take it back to the store you can exchange it there for one that doesn't have any marks, surely? Unless you're expecting later batches not to have the "easily scratched" problem at all, which doesn't seem likely given the material (and the comments from Apple stating that they will scratch).

Marco1

If you take it back to the store you can exchange it there for one that doesn't have any marks, surely? Unless you're expecting later batches not to have the "easily scratched" problem at all, which doesn't seem likely given the material (and the comments from Apple stating that they will scratch).

Yes but I'm hoping that the later batches will have the manufacturing down better.
It's obvious that there were problems with the launch units.

I'm realizing LTE is what's draining the battery for most users since its constantly searching for a signal.

Yep. Since I don't have LTE in my area, I've turned that off. I keep my screen nice and bright though... Also, not sure how big a deal it is, but passbook likes to have location services polling pretty regularly... So does reminders for the "geofence". I don't use that, so I've turned them off for now in the settings

Pachimari

Hmm, so people are already lining up here, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it going from an iPhone 4 > iPhone 5. Did I miss anything new I'll get?

A4 > A6 (A huge speed bump but not something mind-blowing to me that would justify around $1,100/subscription included).

Voice Over > Siri (Nice thing that will be useful for hands-free stuff while driving and when I have to get a fact once in a while. Not something I have used much on my other family members iPhone 4S')

Camera > iSight (A better camera but now I have already invested in a Cannon EOS 60D DSLR. Though it would still be nice with prettier pictures for point and shoot moments. I love the Panorama feature)

VGA > 720p Front Facing (I have always wanted a HD front facing camera for Skype calling and now for FaceTime over cellular but it's not something I use every week)

3G > LTE (This would be the major upgrade and I'm excited about it. Though, the carrier only have it from November onward, so I would probably have 4 month for it until I would find a cheaper subscription with no 4G)

Navigon > Free GPS (I already have Navigon GPS installed on my iPhone 4 and will probably continue to use it, though I'll lose Google Maps for my transit routes which is the biggest loss, something I use every week taken away from me)

3.5" > 4" (A bigger screen, though I never watch movies on it and pictures will now have black bars. Though a bigger screen in almost the same form factor is not a bad thing)

Build (I have dropepd my iPhone 4 six times, mostly on concrete and it is still in great shape, iPhone 5 will probably get scratches the first day knowing my luck as I'm going caseless always)

Bluetooth > Bluetooth 4.0 (much better at battery usage which is great for my wireless headset)

In the process I'll lose Street View for Flyover and I won't use Passbook for anything other than airplane tickets which I'll use once every second year.

Did I forget anything? I guess I could wait for the next iPhone? Contrary, I also want my father to have an iPhone, so that could be the reason to get the iPhone 5.

acksman

Has anyone found extra charging cables or the adapters for sale anywhere? Everywhere I look they are out. I am heading overseas and would like to have an extra cable for the just in case.

Sarye

Apples battery numbers with LTE were complete bullshit

Here in NYC I have LTE connected 95% of the time and is not too far off.

spotty LTE causes battery drain because of the switching between different radios. LTE coverage just isn't that great in the US compared to 3G (for obvious reasons) I remember the same thing happening when 3G was fairly new and people had to disable it and stayed on EDGE. Oh how times have stayed the same.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Will having LTE on affect 3G performance? I really can't figure out why my 3G is sucking so bad when my Droid X worked great on it. Not being able to download apps or stream music like I used to is killing me.

bionic77

Will having LTE on affect 3G performance? I really can't figure out why my 3G is sucking so bad when my Droid X worked great on it. Not being able to download apps or stream music like I used to is killing me.
That doesn't sound right. Maybe your phone is defective. Did you try a hard reset, network reset, etc?

andycapps

Apples battery numbers with LTE were complete bullshit

I don't have LTE here, but I assume that the issue with LTE is that if it's not available, the phone is constantly searching which is going to drain the battery heavily. To a lesser extent, leaving on wifi when you're out and about is going to drain the battery if it's constantly scanning and being unsuccessful.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That doesn't sound right. Maybe your phone is defective. Did you try a hard reset, network reset, etc?

Not yet. What are average Verizon 3G speeds?

Today it seems much better than yesterday. I am getting 0.75 MB down and 0.15 up. Is that right?

Yesterday it was 0.10 down and like 0.05 up.

jcm

Today it seems much better than yesterday. I am getting 0.75 MB down and 0.15 up. Is that right?

Verizon 3G is terrible. Your speeds today are about average. Upload is a little low maybe.

diehard

Fleer
Anand did a display test, good to read along with the displaymate one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance

to put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors, to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box.

Basically, it's awesome.

Are there any "Deutsche Telekom" users here on GAF from Germany? I ask because I extended my contract with them in early 2011, half a year before my contract ended as I was eligible, to get a iPhone 4. Now 1 1/2 years later I wanted to do the same for the iPhone 5 and they told me I can't extend my contract early this time because I already did that once.

That's fair enough but now a friend who is also with the Deutsche Telekom told me that he did extend his contract early a second time just now with no problems and got his iPhone 5 :/

Does anybody here have experience with that? I'm pretty confused...

sangreal

Verizon 3G is terrible. Your speeds today are about average. Upload is a little low maybe.

No, those speeds are terrible even for Verizon's shitty 3G. Here is the speedtest I just ran:

vWnHE.jpg

I'm trying to decide between cancelling my AT&T order placed on the 19th, and trying nightly to reserve one at my local Apple store.

It seems like I need to cancel my ATT order because when you try and reserve them on Apple.com it asks which line you want to upgrade, etc. If you already have a pre-order in, I don't think it'll let you reserve one.

For now I've just been checking on Apple's site by saying I'm adding an existing line to my plan, but I'm concerned if I reserved one that way they might make it difficult for me when I arrived in the store.

sangreal

They are very close to the averages PC World found in their testing. Verizon's 2012 average 3G across 80 locations in 8 cities was 1.05 down and .73 up.

If you look at the individual cities, you'll find that his results are not atypical.

I would love to see their methodology, as I consistently see better speeds on both 4G and 3G than indicated here and I'm a very frequent traveler (and I use my phone as my primary internet connection via tethering when on the road). Unfortunately, the link to their methodology is dead.

Pachimari

Oh my.. So everyone are lining at all carrier stores here in Denmark now, as there's 6 hours until release. And I just found a store here in a mall where there's noone in line. I were the first one in line but I don't feel like waiting for 6 hours. So I'll go back there in 3 hours.

Then I'll use these 3 hours contemplating if I should get iPhone 5 or not. :)

Spinluck

I'm still blown away by how light this phone is.

I'm not trying to start shit hear, but I remember people complaining about how light the S3 was, and saying they like the somewhat solid heavy build of the 4/4S line of iPhones.

Anyways, my girlfriend got the phone, and she's loving it.

I'm trying to decide between cancelling my AT&T order placed on the 19th, and trying nightly to reserve one at my local Apple store.

It seems like I need to cancel my ATT order because when you try and reserve them on Apple.com it asks which line you want to upgrade, etc. If you already have a pre-order in, I don't think it'll let you reserve one.

For now I've just been checking on Apple's site by saying I'm adding an existing line to my plan, but I'm concerned if I reserved one that way they might make it difficult for me when I arrived in the store.
I'd just wait. I thought I'd never get an order update, then I received a text last night saying it shipped and I'm holding it right now!

Future

My battery life is pretty incredible. Overnight standby it drops maybe 5%. Dropped around 30 at the end of the day with a lot of use and a few phone calls. I'm charging right now at 28 percent after 2 nights of no charging

I'm not trying to start shit hear, but I remember people complaining about how light the S3 was, and saying they like the somewhat solid heavy build of the 4/4S line of iPhones.

What does one random person's opinion have to do with another random person's opinion?

I'd just wait. I thought I'd never get an order update, then I received a text last night saying it shipped and I'm holding it right now!

That's what I've been thinking too. Tough call.

Cloudy

Banned
Man this phone is so thin I've almost dropped it when picking it up from any flat surface several times lol. And I have a bumper on it for a better grip. That Defender case can't come soon enough :p

LordCanti

Man this phone is so thin I've almost dropped it when picking it up from any flat surface several times lol. And I have a bumper on it for a better grip. That Defender case can't come soon enough :p

I've got a Speck Candyshell coming later for this reason among others. I guess I have above average sized mitts, because I just can not hold the IP5 comfortably.

I couldn't justify a defender to myself. I want a little more thickness, but I don't want a brick.

SuperPac

Good luck canceling from AT&T. Maybe they've changed things in recent years, but last time I tried to cancel they told me the only thing i could do was refuse delivery. :\

Noema

So is the 5 a scratch / scuff magnet? One thing I like about my 4 is that even after 2 years without a case it's still in pretty good shape. Other than a few nicks here and there (completely my fault), it's as good as new thanks to the glass back.

I don't want my 5 (after I get my grubby hands on one) looking like this after a few months:

oldiphone.jpg

Hmm, so people are already lining up here, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it going from an iPhone 4 > iPhone 5. Did I miss anything new I'll get?

A4 > A6 (A huge speed bump but not something mind-blowing to me that would justify around $1,100/subscription included).

Voice Over > Siri (Nice thing that will be useful for hands-free stuff while driving and when I have to get a fact once in a while. Not something I have used much on my other family members iPhone 4S')

Camera > iSight (A better camera but now I have already invested in a Cannon EOS 60D DSLR. Though it would still be nice with prettier pictures for point and shoot moments. I love the Panorama feature)

VGA > 720p Front Facing (I have always wanted a HD front facing camera for Skype calling and now for FaceTime over cellular but it's not something I use every week)

3G > LTE (This would be the major upgrade and I'm excited about it. Though, the carrier only have it from November onward, so I would probably have 4 month for it until I would find a cheaper subscription with no 4G)

Navigon > Free GPS (I already have Navigon GPS installed on my iPhone 4 and will probably continue to use it, though I'll lose Google Maps for my transit routes which is the biggest loss, something I use every week taken away from me)

3.5" > 4" (A bigger screen, though I never watch movies on it and pictures will now have black bars. Though a bigger screen in almost the same form factor is not a bad thing)

Build (I have dropepd my iPhone 4 six times, mostly on concrete and it is still in great shape, iPhone 5 will probably get scratches the first day knowing my luck as I'm going caseless always)

Bluetooth > Bluetooth 4.0 (much better at battery usage which is great for my wireless headset)

In the process I'll lose Street View for Flyover and I won't use Passbook for anything other than airplane tickets which I'll use once every second year.

Did I forget anything? I guess I could wait for the next iPhone? Contrary, I also want my father to have an iPhone, so that could be the reason to get the iPhone 5.

You have all of your inequality signs backwards....

snack

Has anyone here done an on-the-phone iPhone 5 exchange via Apple Support? My power button is working half the time, so I got them to send me a replacement but as of yet, I didn't receive an email on any of this.

Yeah, that's why I'm not going naked, along with the easy scuffing.

When I pick the 5 up, it feels like it is going to fly out of my hand it's so light.

but this phone does the rare thing of being light as hell while still feeling sturdy/high quality.

Pachimari

You have all of your inequality signs backwards....

I meant an arrow 'from to' haha but I see where you're coming from. =p

Also I'm thinking of standing in line in 1 hour and IF I get myself an iPhone 5 I'll go caseless and it'll get battle scars but that's life muaha.

Enco

Yah I love the phone but it's too light for me. I need the defender case to give it some bulk

OtterBox-iPhone-5-Case-Review-Defender-09-575x404.jpg
How the fuck do you get your phone to look like that?

If you treat it like shit, a case wont help much.

So is the 5 a scratch / scuff magnet? One thing I like about my 4 is that even after 2 years without a case it's still in pretty good shape. Other than a few nicks here and there (completely my fault), it's as good as new thanks to the glass back.

I don't want my 5 (after I get my grubby hands on one) looking like this after a few months:

oldiphone.jpg
Fuck that looks horrendous.

I'm all for small tiny covers but god damn.

Top Bottom