• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Cloudy

Banned
How the fuck do you get your phone to look like that?

OtterBox-iPhone-5-Case-Review-Defender-11-575x274.jpg

I thought I could be a man and live with this dead pixel, it's BARELY noticeable even when looking for it but my eye keeps drifting back to it and tormenting me. I guess I'll swap it out as Apple is good about replacing for dead pixels, just wondering if I should make an appointment now while the stores are still crazy and supply is low, or wait for things to settle down a bit...

PSGames

So I've gotten an offer to buy my 32GB for $1000... Decisions, decisions... I wonder how hard it would be to find another one?

Nicktendo86

Well just saw my first 5 in the wild. Some guy was texting on it at the station, it looked thin but not omg wow thin and looked to me a little... cheap. Looked like an iPhone with a cheap case on. I mean my gnexus looks cheap as hell but the 5 looks like a downgrade in the looks compartment compared to the 4 to me *shrug*

andycapps

Well just saw my first 5 in the wild. Some guy was texting on it at the station, it looked thin but not omg wow thin and looked to me a little... cheap. Looked like an iPhone with a cheap case on. I mean my gnexus looks cheap as hell but the 5 looks like a downgrade in the looks compartment compared to the 4 to me *shrug*

I think you need to hold it to really appreciate the look and feel. I could see that impression just based on seeing it from a distance.

sangreal

The Speck Pixelskin HD case for the 5 came in today, and I am disappointed with it. It does not have a snug fit like the 4 version had. It's just a tiny bit too large, which makes all the difference when the case should feel like an extension of the phone. I recommend giving it a pass and to look elsewhere. This'll have to hold me over for now as I wait for more reviews to come in for other cases and eventually buy a replacement. Meh.

Mine came in today and I'm not seeing this at all. That said, I much prefer the look of my Spigen Ultra Thin Air, but the Speck offers way more protection

This is exactly how I felt when I first saw my friend with one.

LordCanti

The IP4/4S definitely looked sexier from a distance. The build quality (other than scuff gate) on the IP5 is just ridiculous though. It's an engineering marvel.

Blackhead

Redarse
Was that a white or black?

I seriously don't understand why Apple doesn't have a quicker way to toggle all these settings:

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

I have to juggle this shit all day to get reasonable battery life if I'm without a charger for a bit. Really wish I could swipe down into the notification center and then wipe to the left and have those settings for quick toggle access. Or swipe to the left past the spotlight search and have them easily selectable there.

Going into Settings and finger fucking each submenu is annoying.

andycapps

I seriously don't understand why Apple doesn't have a quicker way to toggle all these settings:

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

I have to juggle this shit all day to get reasonable battery life if I'm without a charger for a bit. Really wish I could swipe down into the notification center and then wipe to the left and have those settings for quick toggle access. Or swipe to the left past the spotlight search and have them easily selectable there.

+1. That part is a step back for me in coming from Android. The phone itself gets me to forgive some of the shortcomings of the OS, but I do wish they'd make those more userfriendly than having to go through multiple clicks to get to those settings.

Akkad

Banned

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

Probably Android patents.

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

yea, Jailbreaking solved that years ago. I'm surprised Apple never caught on.

noah111

Still Alive

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

One of the few reasons that warrant jailbreaking, imo. They should definitely just get rid of the volume slider page in the switcher tray and replace it with a few toggles instead.

-3G
-LTE
-Wifi
-Airplane mode

This is true. You should be able to toggle options as something that shows up in the notification center, as you suggested, with the ability to switch a few things on the fly right there.

yea, Jailbreaking solved that years ago. I'm surprised Apple never caught on.

I jailbroke my 3G and my 4. Each time my battery life plunged into the toilet with rogue network using processes. If I wanted to micromanage my phone to that degree I'd be happy on Android.

But seriously my phone was sitting happily on 99% Juice for two hours. Turned on LTE just to run a speed test and after two tests and leaving it idle for 5 minutes I'm down to 95%

Jesus christ. LTE is faster than my home connection. :/
DAT NYC LTE!
ybSCB.jpg

94%....

Mairu

One of the few reasons that warrant jailbreaking, imo. They should definitely just get rid of the volume slider page in the switcher tray and replace it with a few toggles instead.

There's very little I jailbreak my phone for, but the few reasons I have are pretty big. Settings toggles on notification center, better javascript engine for the rest of the apps, push on sparrow, and tethering. I hope in iOS 7 (or sooner!) they finally realize that there should be an easier way to toggle common settings

Sean

Banned

I saw a fan concept video with "Mission Control" on iOS that's accessed by swiping up from the bottom (with two fingers I think). And there was quick toggles on the bottom. That'd be a neat implementation imo.

It feels good in your hand, but I still think how thin it is is being way overrated.

It is. I honestly wish they would have made it a bit thicker and went full on beast-mode with the battery.

But that's just me. I don't want an iPad or something like the Nexus 7 up to my ear for a phone.

But at the same time considering the crazy technological limitations on battery life and that we're demanding more and more from our devices I'd rather compromise size slightly for better battery life.

Should that make a big difference? I'm about 20 floors up.

Not sure. I'm on lunch. Gonna go down to outside the lobby and try....

LaneDS

Even as an owner of one, I sort of agree. I'm in the (seemingly) minority of people who like the look and feel of the 4/4S. Great device in so many ways, but it definitely didn't wow me like when I went 3->4.

This is the internet/GAF, everything is overrated. But compared to the 4/4s which were phones that I already thought were quite thin the 5 is a fairly significant upgrade in thickness.

I think it's barely noticeable unless you do a side by side. It's not something that jumps out at you when you pick it up. Even holding both phones in my hand at the same time, I couldn't really tell there was a noticeable difference in thickness. As others have said, they probably should have used that space for more battery rather than reducing the thickness. To me this is more of a number stat comparison rather than a really meaningful one.

tmdorsey

I think it's barely noticeable unless you do a side by side. It's not something that jumps out at you when you pick it up. Even holding both phones in my hand at the same time, I couldn't really tell there was a noticeable difference in thickness. As others have said, they probably should have used that space for more battery rather than reducing the thickness. To me this is more of a number stat comparison rather than a really meaningful one.

I think it's more the combination of less weight and thinness of the phone that wows people (me included). The 5 just looks and feels alot slicker and more refined than the 4. I didn't think it would be possible for them to best the design of the 4, but somehow they did.

I was pretty impressed by how thin the new phone is but I agree that the 4S wasn't exactly a thick or heavy phone to begin with and I would've been happier if they kept the thickness the same while increasing the battery life.

Tobor

I think it's more the combination of less weight and thinness of the phone that wows people (me included). The 5 just looks and feels alot slicker and more refined than the 4. I didn't think it would be possible for them to best the design of the 4, but somehow they did.

Agreed 100%

Lourio

Received my iPhone yesterday, 64 GB in black. Overall feel/quality, I like it much better than the 4. I especially like the 'lightness' of it when compared to my old 4.

In regards to battery life... I am currently doing my first full charge, I let it completely drain to 0% since I been using it - lets say from 11:30 am yesterday. Started to charge it about 2 hours ago - I'm at 94% and going to unplug it once I hit 100%.

I got 4 email accounts configured. 1 email account is being pushed automatically and the 3 other accounts are being fetched every hour. I've also disabled the Spotlight Search within Settings. I've been using apps like Facebook, Twitter and have been doing alot of online reading. I'll let you guys know when I hit 0% again.

Oh yea, what's this DFU reset I keep reading about? Some people have stated after doing this it has dramatically improved their battery life, but then there are people who didn't notice any improvements...

elsk

Banned
So is the 5 a scratch / scuff magnet? One thing I like about my 4 is that even after 2 years without a case it's still in pretty good shape. Other than a few nicks here and there (completely my fault), it's as good as new thanks to the glass back.

I don't want my 5 (after I get my grubby hands on one) looking like this after a few months:

oldiphone.jpg

I'm still using my iPhone 2G from 2007 and it looks as new except for a few very small scratches on the back. I don't know what that guy did with the cellphone, surely he made it look like that intentionally.

AllGamer

kZ13f.png

Only used wifi, listened to some music, some browsing/email checking (no push), took a few pictures and played a game for half an hour.

Top Bottom