• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Kaladin

I love that stand by on this phone is real standby and not something somewhere draining the shit out of your battery.....I'm looking at you Droid Incredible.

PSGames

That's what, $300 profit if you have to go out and buy another one? That's pretty good for a day's work.

I say go for it. DAT profit

I told the guy yeah but I'm having second thoughts. This is the 32GB version so I paid $320 for it after tax. To get another one full price now that I've already signed a contract is $850(or so including tax?). So that's a total of $1170. I guess I would be saving $150 overall but is it really worth the hassle of hunting one down?

I'll take a few more speedtests later and see if I get any big changes.

Better downstairs.

o2uTC.png

I think it's more the combination of less weight and thinness of the phone that wows people (me included). The 5 just looks and feels alot slicker and more refined than the 4. I didn't think it would be possible for them to best the design of the 4, but somehow they did.

I nagree that the 5 feels and looks like a great in design aside from the scuffing issue. I think for me when I picked it up, I noticed how nice it felt and the weight, but it didn't jump out to me that it was thinner. The weight yes, but not the thickness. I'm sure that helps attribute to the weight, but I still didn't think it was noticeable as I was expecting it to be until I did a side by side. I'd bet if nobody was told that the new phone was thinner, and they just picked it up for the first time, most people on average would immediately notice the weight, but not it being thinner. I think the thickness would have to be pointed out to them. That's because most people grip the edge of the phone to hold it so they won't feel how thick it is. Of course some who pay attention would notice, but I think your average person would not and that's what I'm getting at where it seems more of a stat than it being as meaningful in person and why I think it's overstated.

Tobor

The thinner design directly contributes to a more usable experience with the taller screen. Fatten it up, and one handed use would suffer.

It's not an overstated stat in this case, Marty.

evil ways

Had my phone since tuesday. No scuffs out of the box, no issues. Jumping from my 3 year old 3GS is crazy. Typing lag is gone and everything is so fast.

Still debating if I should get a case or keep it bare. I think if I can find a cheap case for less than $10 on ebay, that doesn't add much bulk and doesn't look like crap, I'll go for it.

I'm going to get my iphone 5 on staurday. I don't have a contact with anyone right now. I've had a work phone for a few years. What can I expect to pay for start up fees? And what about monthly fees and data plan?? I haven't paid for my phone for a few years so I just want to know what to expect.

The thinner design directly contributes to a more usable experience with the taller screen. Fatten it up, and one handed use would suffer.

You're seriously trying to tell me that the difference here:

Iphone-5-thickness.jpg

makes it less usable? Man you're really buying into what Apple is selling you. I'm holding my 4 right now using my thumb to show the range of reach right now, and at no point is the thickness getting in the way of me reaching beyond the existing screen.

andycapps

kZ13f.png

Only used wifi, listened to some music, some browsing/email checking (no push), took a few pictures and played a game for half an hour.

I love that stand by on this phone is real standby and not something somewhere draining the shit out of your battery.....I'm looking at you Droid Incredible.

True, my time today was about 24 hours total, with 1/3 of that being usage. Most of that was wifi, but some 3G there too.

bumpkin

Hmm, so anyone who got screwed by Best Buy on their launch pre-order gotten a call yet? I'm hoping against hope that maybe I'll hear something in the next day or two, but with the riots and shit at the factories, who knows.

LaneDS

While there is some truth to that, I'm sure, I don't personally feel like the thickness of the 4/4S would have been problematic with the increased screen size. Picked up a 4 and a 5 just now and tried to pay attention to how I hold both phones and didn't really notice anything that would have made a simply taller 4/4S any less usable on a taller screen.

I think I'm most impressed with how well the device handles heat (or the lack thereof). Only seems to really get noticeably warm when it's charging. Guessing the aluminium plays a key part to that, but again, only guessing.

Prepping for the Stockholm midnight release at the moment. Loooots and lots of people. All of the carriers are having their midnight opening on the same street, but while we have maybe 200 in line as we speak, they have at maximum 10. 3 hours to go!

Psyched as shit.

Iphone-5-thickness.jpg

makes it less usable? Man you're really buying into what Apple is selling you. I'm holding my 4 right now using my thumb to show the range of reach right now, and at no point is the thickness getting in the way of me reaching beyond the existing screen.

I mean, if the choice was a slightly larger phone w/ a better battery or a thinner phone with the standard battery I'd chose the former every time.

With that said I think a lot of the battery issues with the 5 is software. Always is on the initial release. I'm gonna do a setup phone as new and just redo everything manually/icloud.

LordCanti

I got my black Speck Candyshell....and it's going right back =/ First of all, it had been opened (there were fingerprints all over it) and second of all, the thing is a fingerprint magnet. It was seriously disgusting to look at.

I guess I'm just going to nervously go commando until Amazon finally ships me my white one.

mrkgoo

Iphone-5-thickness.jpg

Gotta agree with Marty here. No doubt the iPhone 5 is thin, and it's cool and more useable, but hard to say it would be a problem if it were iPhone 4 thickness.

Anyway, I haven't seen an iPhone 5, but i've ordered two. It's going to be a serious dent in the bank, but my old iPhone 3G is really becoming unusable, ESP now that no new apps will be installable.

And my wife needs to get into smartphone action. One white, one black. Here in NZ, they don't get sold outright by carriers, they only sell to new contracts, so I've ordered from apple. 4 weeks!

See you all then.

Gotta agree with Marty here. No doubt the iPhone 5 is thin, and it's cool and more useable, but hard to say it would be a problem if it were iPhone 4 thickness.

Anyway, I haven't seen an iPhone 5, but i've ordered two. It's going to be a serious dent in the bank, but my old iPhone 3G is really becoming unusable, ESP now that no new apps will be installable.

And my wife needs to get into smartphone action. One white, one black. Here in NZ, they don't get sold outright by carriers, they only sell to new contracts, so I've ordered from apple. 4 weeks!

See you all then.

You're going from a 3G to a 5? Not even a 3GS? Wow, you're going to be in for a treat.

Tobor

Iphone-5-thickness.jpg

Yep. Having used a 4 for years, and a 5 for a week, that's what I'm saying.

It's not just the thickness, of course. Lowering the screen a few millimeters helps as well. The overall package feels really good in use.

mrkgoo

You're going from a 3G to a 5? Not even a 3GS? Wow, you're going to be in for a treat.

Yeah man!

I get game centre! Wooo!

Oh man, dat customisable background!

Anyway, I didn't get a 3GS because I was in US at the time, and my unlocked 3G was more valuable. i would've upgraded to a 4....and even 4S, but I really couldn't justify the cost.

Apple maps don't bother me as such, considering I haven't used google maps for so long on my iPhone 3G because it's useless there - takes 5-10 minutes to look anything up.

But it's going to be a big move for my wife who hasn't ever had a smartphone.

I just hope they have tons of nano sims available when our iphones ship.

So is the 5 a scratch / scuff magnet? One thing I like about my 4 is that even after 2 years without a case it's still in pretty good shape. Other than a few nicks here and there (completely my fault), it's as good as new thanks to the glass back.

I don't want my 5 (after I get my grubby hands on one) looking like this after a few months:

oldiphone.jpg

That looks SEXY AS FUCK

Marco1

Just out of a branch in the UK after swapping my 34 week 16GB black. The genius told me that they are seeing quite a few back and that the retail boxed replacement was from a newer batch.
Got home and tried the serial number and it is also a week 34 and it has light bleed in the top left corner and 3 stuck pixels.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MasLegio

Banned
Just out of a branch in the UK after swapping my 34 week 16GB black. The genius told me that they are seeing quite a few back and that the retail boxed replacement was from a newer batch.
Got home and tried the serial number and it is also a week 34 and it has light bleed in the top left corner and 3 stuck pixels.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
34 week? What does that mean? Bad batch? Can i tell on the serialnumber on box if it is week 34?

Wow, 64GB Black were sold out instantly. Now I have to go for a 32GB Black again.

I just can't go 64GB White.

Is it not the least popular option due to price?

Considering strolling into my carriers store a while after it opens. If they have a 64 gb white, i mightbuy one. Or wait until november

Pachimari

I can't go white. Those black dots and camera sticks out a lot to me. And it's also too late, everything is sold out and there were a LOT of frustrated people going home empty handed.

This is also the first time I am at an iPhone line up but I thought I would do it for the experience. Feels weird not really being excited. I'm going from a 4 -> 5.

Septimius

To those that bought it online at midnight when it came out in your country:

Did the page change at midnight, and it was for sale? There's a midnight launch here, but there are no apple-stores in Norway, so there is nowhere you can buy it without a contract, so I'm buying it online.

gamma

Did the page change at midnight, and it was for sale? There's a midnight launch here, but there are no apple-stores in Norway, so there is nowhere you can buy it without a contract, so I'm buying it online.

The store went down and when it came back it was available to pre-order.

Husker86

I preordered through my carrier which went live a bit early. The Apple site will change to preorder now, though that change didn't show for some right away.

LCfiner

lol, well, I feel silly. I just ordered an iphone 5.

I called fido out of curiosity to see what iphone 5 pricing would be as I'm one year into a 3 year contract. I was expecting to hear that there would be a big cancelation fee and 400 to 500 for the phone. I had been given that kind of info before back when I had an iPhone 3G.

well, the customer service guy said there was some issue in their system so the only price they could charge me for cancelling my contract was 33 dollars. and then I'd be eligible for new contract pricing on the new phone.

so... I thought, let's do this. I cancelled the current contract and got a new 16 GB iphone 5 (black) with a new contract for 3 years. The guy was able to waive an additional 25 dollar fee plus I had 30 bucks in Fido dollars so the total after tax was about 200 bucks, including the contract cancellation.

I checked that I would still have 6 GB LTE for 30 dollars with tethering included. he said yes. My voice/ messaging/ extra plan remains at 25 for a bunch of stuff included.

so consider me surprised and (cautiously) happy. I hope that the 30 pin adapter I'll need for my car dock doesn't make it too unstable in there. And I'll just have to deal with scuffs. sigh.

edit: this means my old 32GB iphone 4S was bought for ~300 with a 3 yr contact but only one year honoured. 55/month pre taxes (55*12=660 to Fido. approx cost of phone was 800 to Fido) and now I can sell it for hopefully around 400 and recoup the cost of the new phone.

MasLegio

Banned
No 4G in Sweden confirmed by Telia for those who wishes to know.

On the other hand, I just read a news story about this on a national mac site. Crazy fanbot tried to blame no 4G support in the country on e carrier and not on apples decision to not support band 7....
Some fanboys should be locked up...

Septimius

I have no idea. I know I can order via phone from 9 tomorrow morning (ie, 9 hours from now) - The guy I spoke to said he didn't know about online, only about phone sales. They haven't gone down, though. A bit frustrated. Does this mean it can be 1am? 2am? 3? or is it 9 online too? Which has higher priority in that case? Bah.

Top Bottom