• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

gamma

I have no idea. I know I can order via phone from 9 tomorrow morning (ie, 9 hours from now) - The guy I spoke to said he didn't know about online, only about phone sales. They haven't gone down, though. A bit frustrated. Does this mean it can be 1am? 2am? 3? or is it 9 online too? Which has higher priority in that case? Bah.

Well, last week it started at midnight in the US which was 9am in our timezone so would guess it's 9am again.

Tobor

lol, well, I feel silly. I just ordered an iphone 5.

I called fido out of curiosity to see what iphone 5 pricing would be as I'm one year into a 3 year contract. I was expecting to hear that there would be a big cancelation fee and 400 to 500 for the phone. I had been given that kind of info before back when I had an iPhone 3G.

well, the customer service guy said there was some issue in their system so the only price they could charge me for cancelling my contract was 33 dollars. and then I'd be eligible for new contract pricing on the new phone.

so... I thought, let's do this. I cancelled the current contract and got a new 16 GB iphone 5 (black) with a new contract for 3 years. The guy was able to waive an additional 25 dollar fee plus I had 30 bucks in Fido dollars so the total after tax was about 200 bucks, including the contract cancellation.

I checked that I would still have 6 GB LTE for 30 dollars with tethering included. he said yes. My voice/ messaging/ extra plan remains at 25 for a bunch of stuff included.

so consider me surprised and (cautiously) happy. I hope that the 30 pin adapter I'll need for my car dock doesn't make it too unstable in there. And I'll just have to deal with scuffs. sigh.

edit: this means my old 32GB iphone 4S was bought for ~300 with a 3 yr contact but only one year honoured. 55/month pre taxes (55*12=660 to Fido. approx cost of phone was 800 to Fido) and now I can sell it for hopefully around 400 and recoup the cost of the new phone.

Yeah buddy. :)

Septimius

So US times are PST? That would mean 9 am, yeah. Damnit. Won't really feel safe going to bed tonight. Did the German online store go down before it was selling online? How long was it down for?

Blackhead

Redarse

I called fido out of curiosity to see what iphone 5 pricing would be as I'm one year into a 3 year contract. I was expecting to hear that there would be a big cancelation fee and 400 to 500 for the phone. I had been given that kind of info before back when I had an iPhone 3G.

well, the customer service guy said there was some issue in their system so the only price they could charge me for cancelling my contract was 33 dollars. and then I'd be eligible for new contract pricing on the new phone.

so... I thought, let's do this. I cancelled the current contract and got a new 16 GB iphone 5 (black) with a new contract for 3 years. The guy was able to waive an additional 25 dollar fee plus I had 30 bucks in Fido dollars so the total after tax was about 200 bucks, including the contract cancellation.

I checked that I would still have 6 GB LTE for 30 dollars with tethering included. he said yes. My voice/ messaging/ extra plan remains at 25 for a bunch of stuff included.

so consider me surprised and (cautiously) happy. I hope that the 30 pin adapter I'll need for my car dock doesn't make it too unstable in there. And I'll just have to deal with scuffs. sigh.

edit: this means my old 32GB iphone 4S was bought for ~300 with a 3 yr contact but only one year honoured. 55/month pre taxes (55*12=660 to Fido. approx cost of phone was 800 to Fido) and now I can sell it for hopefully around 400 and recoup the cost of the new phone.
Knew you couldn't hold out lol. When's the estimated delivery date?

Only had it for 2 days so far, but battery has gone died by about 8pm both nights...
Is anyone else having bad battery life or do i just need to let it bed in some more? I have a 64gb btw.

gamma

So US times are PST? That would mean 9 am, yeah. Damnit. Won't really feel safe going to bed tonight. Did the German online store go down before it was selling online? How long was it down for?

Yes, all stores went down I think. A tip if you already have an iPhone or iPad: You could order through the Apple Store app a few minutes before the actual store site came back, so try that if you can.

LCfiner

Knew you couldn't hold out lol. When's the estimated delivery date?

well, if the price was gonna be non-upgrade pricing, I would have held out for the "5S". for 200 bucks total (I'm going back to 16 Gb from 32 with itunes match now), I can swing it.

delivery time is around 2 weeks, according to the CSR. I'll be getting a tracking number soon.

First 6 hours with the iPhone. Fast, LTE is awesome, battery life iffy right now. Also, the auto-brightness seems to be borked. Many complaints on Apple's site as well.

mrkgoo

Fuck. Not changed for me. Past midnight

Edit: Clearing my cache and ctrl+f5'in like a mofo
In nz we have no applestores either. I Checked in ~ 1am and nothing. Store said coming soon. But at 1:20am they were available.

Lcfiner: yay! Lol, first world problems. Like "Grumble grumble stupid error making it a good deal ...." :p

LCfiner

In nz we have no applestores either. I Hefner in ~ 1am and nothing. Store said coming soon. But at 1:20am they were available.

Lcfiner: yay! Lol, first world problems. Like "Grumble grumble stupid error making it a good deal ...." :p

yeah, it was odd because I wasn't in the mindset to buy anything. so I had to switch to a more... alert... state and start asking questions to make sure I wasn't going to get screwed by this process. I got a stupid head cold so I wasn't ready to actually, well, think about anything today. ha. so there was this mini "grumble" moment, as you put it, as I had to ask questions about the new contract.

LaneDS

As much as part of me wants to return the phone and get something else, the more I use it the more I like it which is both great and terrible. Having a hard time weighing the pros and cons on this one.

mrkgoo

So to my knowledge there are 3 models of the iphone5, disregarding colour and storage.

Basically a CDMA version (with gsm), and two gsm versions, each with differing LTE bands, basically one for US (and probably Canada /japan as these things normally are, 700 MHz band) and the other for some international markets such as Australia (ie 1800 MHz).

We all know the snafu with Australian 4G with the new iPad. Now te new iPhone should e the correct one and work with LTE in aus.

New Zealand typically gets the AUs models. We use the same outlets, and typically have the same stuff. Heck, our major companies are probably owned by Aussies.

Anyway, our local telecommunications might be trialling LTE in the 700 band range. IF we get the Australian iphone 5 models, this would seem to me that they would not be compatible in nz for LTE in the future.

giga

So to my knowledge there are 3 models of the iphone5, disregarding colour and storage.

Basically a CDMA version (with gsm), and two gsm versions, each with differing LTE bands, basically one for US (and probably Canada /japan as these things normally are, 700 MHz band) and the other for some international markets such as Australia (ie 1800 MHz).

We all know the snafu with Australian 4G with the new iPad. Now te new iPhone should e the correct one and work with LTE in aus.

New Zealand typically gets the AUs models. We use the same outlets, and typically have the same stuff. Heck, our major companies are probably owned by Aussies.

Anyway, our local telecommunications might be trialling LTE in the 700 band range. IF we get the Australian iphone 5 models, this would seem to me that they would not be compatible in nz for LTE in the future.
Technically (physically), there are actually only two models: A1428 and A1429. There are just two configurations for the A1429 device--CDMA and GSM. It's similar to how the 4S had just one physical model but was provisioned in two different configurations for CDMA and GSM.

Anandtech, of course, had a piece on this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

First, a bit of overview. At the Apple event there were two physical hardware models for the iPhone 5 announced: A1428 and A1429, with three different provisioning configurations. There are hardware differences between the two models, and what provisioning boils down to is both how the phone is initially provisioned, and likely what AMSS (Advanced Mobile Subscriber Software - Qualcomm's software package that runs on the baseband) gets loaded at boot. This is analogous to how with iPhone 4S there was a single hardware model, but two different configurations for CDMA and GSM.

For the most part, the two hardware models are identical, and to most users the two models will be indistinguishable, but there are physical differences to accommodate a number of different LTE bands between the two. The Apple iPhone 5 specs page lists this at a high level, and there's an even more explicit LTE specific page with a list of what LTE bands work for what carriers. Of course, what ultimately really matters is what's in the FCC docs and in the hardware, and looking at those there are a few more bands supported than listed for LTE.

Why this is the case is interesting and a function of transceiver and Apple's implementation – with Qualcomm's transceivers (specifically RTR8600 in the iPhone 5, but this applies to others as well), each "port" is created equal, and can handle WCDMA or LTE equally. If your design includes the right power amplifiers (PA), filters, and antenna tuning, you're good to go, which is why we see LTE testing reports for bands that aren't listed otherwise. I saw this same behavior with Apple's test reports for the iPad 3 with LTE as well, there were many more tested configurations than what any carrier in the USA will run, but remember Apple's approach is about covering as many possible configurations as possible with the fewest number of SKUs.

lvn7+

The only carriers that use bands 13 and 25 are verizon and sprint, so they just disable it on the GSM configuration of the A1429. Brian Klug mentioned that they would pay less money to Qualcomm that way, since they wouldn't be used in Australia and other places.

But yeah, for consumers, their phone will be a choice out of a possible three, depending on where they live and and what carrier they choose. If your local telecom is still in the testing phases of band 13, they're most likely not getting the 5 on LTE any time soon.

I thought I could be a man and live with this dead pixel, it's BARELY noticeable even when looking for it but my eye keeps drifting back to it and tormenting me. I guess I'll swap it out as Apple is good about replacing for dead pixels, just wondering if I should make an appointment now while the stores are still crazy and supply is low, or wait for things to settle down a bit...

Definitely do it now. Right now, your replacement phone is guaranteed to be a new phone, rather than a refurb.

As somebody who just went through 4 refurbished iPhone 4's, I'm telling you, you don't want to play that game.

mrkgoo

Technically (physically), there are actually only two models: A1428 and A1429. There are just two configurations for the A1429 device--CDMA and GSM. It's similar to how the 4S had just one physical model but was provisioned in two different configurations for CDMA and GSM.

Anandtech, of course, had a piece on this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

lvn7+

The only carriers that use bands 13 and 25 are verizon and sprint, so they just disable it on the GSM configuration of the A1429. Brian Klug mentioned that they would pay less money to Qualcomm that way, since they wouldn't be used in Australia and other places.

But yeah, for consumers, their phone will be a choice out of a possible three, depending on where they live and and what carrier they choose.

Thanks for clarifying the terminology.

We don't get a choice here in NZ. All that's listed in my order is that they are gsm phones.

In all likelihood, we will get the Australian model, seeing as we don't have LTE. It won't matter now, but our telcos are trialling LTE and it looks like they may opt for the 700mhz band which is beig freed up en of 2013 from analogue to digital conversion of our tv system.

If that is true our current iPhone 5 will not be compatible with our future possible LTE.

Have to wait and see I guess. Will need to check a demo model.

giga

Thanks for clarifying the terminology.

We don't get a choice here in NZ. All that's listed in my order is that they are gsm phones.

In all likelihood, we will get the Australian model, seeing as we don't have LTE. It won't matter now, but our telcos are trialling LTE and it looks like they may opt for the 700mhz band which is beig freed up en of 2013 from analogue to digital conversion of our tv system.

If that is true our current iPhone 5 will not be compatible with our future possible LTE.

Have to wait and see I guess. Will need to check a demo model.
Yeah, anywhere outside of USA, Canada, and Japan will be getting the A1429 (GSM). If they're not going to deploy LTE on bands 1, 3, or 5, I wouldn't expect it to work in the future. At least you can resell for the 5S/6. :p

Ovid

You're seriously trying to tell me that the difference here:

Iphone-5-thickness.jpg

makes it less usable? Man you're really buying into what Apple is selling you. I'm holding my 4 right now using my thumb to show the range of reach right now, and at no point is the thickness getting in the way of me reaching beyond the existing screen.
I dont have a 5 but I know someone that does and did a comparison with my 4S. There is indeed a difference when you actually have it in hand.

I don't think Vodafone and Telecom will trial or launch LTE that doesn't work with the most popular smartphone in NZ.

There's a bit of a discussion about this on Geekzone.

Septimius

Delivery: 3 - 4 Weeks - 25 Oct, 2012 - 31 Oct, 2012

Aww. I was almost asleep. Decided to f5. Suddenly it was live. I can't believe I was all that late for it, but 3-4 weeks? Fuck. Did anyone else get this, then have it change to something sooner later?

Zeth

So now I'm thinking about bailing on the gazelle deal for my 4S (16gb). They'll give me $280 if I give it to them by Oct 10th but I'm thinking I could get a good bit more now that found I can get it unlocked.

16gb AT&T 4S unlocked: surely I can get a good enough price to make selling it worth it (over gazelle's $280). Anyone sell a similar model recently? Edit: very very good condition

Pachimari

So I came home with a 32GB Black iPhone 5 after waiting for 5 hours and I have to say it's extremely light-weight and thin wow. I didn't expect this even after reading all of the impressions and reviews. Very nice.

I'm charging it now.

So now I'm thinking about bailing on the gazelle deal for my 4S (16gb). They'll give me $280 if I give it to them by Oct 10th but I'm thinking I could get a good bit more now that found I can get it unlocked.

16gb AT&T 4S unlocked: surely I can get a good enough price to make selling it worth it (over gazelle's $280). Anyone sell a similar model recently? Edit: very very good condition

I just did a quick search on eBay and it looks like those are going for $350+ for white and $380+ for black.

Shearie

If you want to take the most convenient route, you can get a $300 Apple gift card for a good condition 4S using Apple's recycling program.

mrkgoo

I don't think Vodafone and Telecom will trial or launch LTE that doesn't work with the most popular smartphone in NZ.

There's a bit of a discussion about this on Geekzone.
For sure. Thing is the 700 MHz band is up for grabs by end of next year.

It's possible they use that and just ask for the iPhone 5s gsm from us version. No problems. Except current iPhone 5 won't have LTE on that network.

Nothing we cando about it, but it's something to think about.

Interesting read though, thanks.

Septimus: I don't think you were late - those are simply the wait times the world over. As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure I was pretty close to first online for our store but mines also 3-4 weeks.

Just e glad it's not 5-6weeks!

My sister gt an iPhone 4 similarly and had to wait that month.

So I bought a White 32GB iPhone 5 at Radio Shack which is now on my employer's plan but I've came to realize I really would prefer the black (got the white initially because of all the durability issues). Unfortunately I can't change the plan now and exchange the phone myself. I should really stop second guessing my self, I did the same thing with the new iPad.

I dont have a 5 but I know someone that does and did a comparison with my 4S. There is indeed a difference when you actually have it in hand.

That's the thing, you did a comparison so then it stands out more to you. I've played with one too and the thickness didn't stand out until I reached for my phone to do a side by side.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
That's the thing, you did a comparison so then it stands out more to you. I've played with one too and the thickness didn't stand out until I reached for my phone to do a side by side.

indeed, i've found the weight difference is far more noticeable than thickness between the generations.

sikkinixx

Meanwhile I'm 26 months into a 36 month contract and they told me "Sorry, you need to pay $699 for your iPhone 5. Wait another 4 months then we can give you the discount" So I was able to order an unlocked one and I'll just pack up and leave when my contract is up. /notbitteratFido

Sallokin

Going to attempt to grab one tomorrow at Target. Their mobile guy just told me they're getting a shipment in. I just jumped ship to a Galaxy S3 a few months ago, but some aspects of Android are endlessly frustrating to me.

Aurizen

i've been really dying to get my hands on an iphone for the longest, anyone know what apple will sell the iphone 5 unlocked in the US?

So I bought a White 32GB iPhone 5 at Radio Shack which is now on my employer's plan but I've came to realize I really would prefer the black (got the white initially because of all the durability issues). Unfortunately I can't change the plan now and exchange the phone myself. I should really stop second guessing my self, I did the same thing with the new iPad.

Anyone else been in this situation (or similar)? I'd really like to be able to exchange the phone in store if possible.

my girlfriend FINALLY got her white iPhone 5 in. Holy smokes that white is sexy as hell, makes we wonder if I should return my black
Black = seamless borders. White = ugly black borders. And I don't mean the letterboxing on old apps, which is even worse, I just mean the thin line around the frame at all times. And then there's how it looks when the screen is off...

Still can't buy anywhere.... :(

Wish I would have kept my 2-week pre order from Apple instead of canceling when I pre ordered from Best Buy.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 :/

Top Bottom