• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
LTE is the obvious cause of rapid battery drain. Watch how much quicker your phone charges when it's disabled...

The iPhone 5 Display: Thoroughly Analyzed

With the iPhone 5, we see an average dE2000 of only 2.09, which would make it the best LCD monitor I would have reviewed at AnandTech to this point (in terms of out-of-the-box performance). Only a couple shades of orange creep above the green error line, and nothing moves above the yellow line that would make it clearly visible to a user. Every color point at least comes close to hitting its target, and there are no errors that are excessive or that you will notice even during color critical use.

Wrapping up, the iPhone 5 display is a quantum leap better than the display on the iPhone 4. Contrast levels and light output have both been increased, and color performance is astonishing. The full sRGB gamut is present here, and color errors are remarkably low even for a high end desktop display. While many were hoping for a move to OLED or some other screen innovation, this really is a huge step up that is very easy to quantify. To put this in perspective, in the past few years I've reviewed probably 30-40 different displays, from PC monitors to TVs to projectors. Not a single one, out of the box, can put up the Gretag Macbeth dE numbers that the iPhone can, and perhaps one projector (which listed for $20,000) can approach the grayscale and color accuracy out of the box.

Apple obviously has very high control over what parts they use and what comes off their assembly lines. I don't know if they are having the displays individually adjusted after they are assembled, or if the quality control is very strict, or if I just got a remarkably lucky sample. I do know that if TV and PC Monitor vendors were able to provide displays that looked like this out of the box, professional calibrators would lose a good amount of business. The new panel in the iPhone 5 is simply remarkable in quality and if it were a PC monitor, I'd give it a Gold Award on the basis of its performance.

Wow.

Bgamer90

Banned
Black = seamless borders. White = ugly black borders. And I don't mean the letterboxing on old apps, which is even worse, I just mean the thin line around the frame at all times. And then there's how it looks when the screen is off...

???

The white iPhone looks fine when the screen is off.

I went from a black 3GS to white 4S and it's fine. The screen size is the same so I don't really see why "boarders" would matter (at least they wouldn't to me).

So what's the deal with getting one of these from the Apple Store. Does the online reservation thing tie up every device? Can you still camp?

This online shit sucks ass, no matter how fast I sit and cmd-R I'm never fast enough to get one. It was way better when all I had to do was wake up at 4am and play my DS in front of the Apple Store for a few hours.

Has anyone had success just getting in line early?

???

The white iPhone looks fine when the screen is off.

I went from a black 3GS to white 4S and it's fine. The screen size is the same so I don't really see why "boarders" would matter (at least they wouldn't to me).
In the right light, the black version just looks like a piece of glass from edge to edge. The white version always looks like a thing with a screen in the middle.

sangreal

Anyone else been in this situation (or similar)? I'd really like to be able to exchange the phone in store if possible.

I am on a business plan and they didn't care at all when I activated my iphone 5, but in the past when they have given me crap about changing phones, etc. I've gotten around it by having them call the "account owner" for permission. Since this isn't a plan change, you should be able to do it

My experience is with Verizon though

matt360

So you guys saying your batteries are fine, just how many hours are you getting? 10 hours of browsing on wifi? 8 on LTE? The Apple numbers are total bullshit as far as my experience.

Mine is doing better than it was after a couple cycles, but I'm still nowhere near those numbers. If I did straight browsing I could get maybe 5 hours with LTE and all the extras turned off, but if I mix browsing with music and texting I could probably pull around 7.5 hours. Is that about normal?

Vyer

Why is my iPhone 5 extremely slow at times compared to my iPhone 4?

What times? I can't think of any areas where it's slower than the 4 that I've found, other than purchased in the App Store.

So you guys saying your batteries are fine, just how many hours are you getting? 10 hours of browsing on wifi? 8 on LTE? The Apple numbers are total bullshit as far as my experience.

Mine is doing better than it was after a couple cycles, but I'm still nowhere near those numbers. If I did straight browsing I could get maybe 5 hours with LTE and all the extras turned off, but if I mix browsing with music and texting I could probably pull around 7.5 hours. Is that about normal?

I have only done one full charge test so far, and it wasn't just in one task. But I got about 7 1/2 hours of fairly heavy use (wifi and LTE browsing, YouTube, phone calls, texting, email, some Fieldrunners 2) and about 18 hours standby. Don't know how that compares with everyone else.

Currently doing my second test. Light browsing, lot of email, listened to a podcast on the way home (bluetooth to my car stereo) and bought, downloaded and watched The Dark Knight Returns part 1 from iTunes. I did not turn off wifi or LTE. Usage is at 4 and 1/2 hours and I'm at 64%.

nomster

Anyone else seeing much higher data use on the iPhone 5 (maybe its ios6)? I burned through a couple hundred mb of data each day today and yesterday while hardly using the phone. It's way off the pace of usage I had on my droid and my wife's 4S.

sangreal

I wouldn't say it is great, but coming from an HTC Thunderbolt it's a revelation.

Not as extreme as my reverse situation though -- going from a BB Tour which could last a week to the Thunderbolt (<1 day standby)

Dez

So the apple maps app is actually pretty good in Toronto. The problem is I usually google map stuff on my laptop and send the link to my phone. Is there any way to send GPS coordinates so that they open in the maps app? Other problem is evites with google map links. I guess there's no workaround for this? The google maps web app is awful :(

Cudder

Guys this might be a stupid question, but I need to ask. (Canadians)

My girlfriend got her iPhone 5 in today so I got to play with it. She upgrades from her 3GS and only had a 500MB 3G Data plan on Rogers. I noticed while we were at a restaurant that LTE was always shown in her bar at the top, which confused me because I knew she only had a 3G plan before.

I thought maybe the dude at Rogers screwed her without her knowing and somehow applied an LTE upgrade on her without her consent. I know LTE is more costly than 3G.

A quick Google search ran this link.

Sooo I guess it's normal? Did Rogers really upgrade EVERYONE'S 3G plan into LTE? I'm so confused...

LaneDS

What are you doing that feels slower? I upgraded from a 4 and everything is most definitely faster for me.

Just tonight I had some noticeable lag when texting on the iPhone 5... the audible clicks for each letter weren't in sync with my finger presses, something I haven't seen before on my (non-iOS6) iPhone 4. A reboot of course fixed it, but it was new.

sangreal

In the US there is no difference in cost between 3g and LTE plans and from looking at Rogers' website they don't have different rates either. Just comes down to whether your device can or cannot support LTE

Septimius

Delivery: 3 - 4 Weeks - 25 Oct, 2012 - 31 Oct, 2012

Aww. I was almost asleep. Decided to f5. Suddenly it was live. I can't believe I was all that late for it, but 3-4 weeks? Fuck. Did anyone else get this, then have it change to something sooner later?

Anyone?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So in grubers recent post he mentions how the improved lowlight ability of the camera is at least partially software driven. Here it's pretty vague and it i was wondering if he means software as in drivers or as in post processing...

Anyone have an idea? Big big difference and its bothering me,

so are there any 3rd party lightning cables and docks yet?

Best thing about 30 pin, is if you need a cable someone always got a cable to borrow or sell.

Even the local homeless!

MasLegio

Banned
So in grubers recent post he mentions how the improved lowlight ability of the camera is at least partially software driven. Here it's pretty vague and it i was wondering if he means software as in drivers or as in post processing...

That was why I was asking if the iPhone 4S he was using as a comparison was updated to iOS6 or not. But I just got harassed by the local neogaf applebots instead.

Pachimari

What times? I can't think of any areas where it's slower than the 4 that I've found, other than purchased in the App Store.

I have only done one full charge test so far, and it wasn't just in one task. But I got about 7 1/2 hours of fairly heavy use (wifi and LTE browsing, YouTube, phone calls, texting, email, some Fieldrunners 2) and about 18 hours standby. Don't know how that compares with everyone else.

Currently doing my second test. Light browsing, lot of email, listened to a podcast on the way home (bluetooth to my car stereo) and bought, downloaded and watched The Dark Knight Returns part 1 from iTunes. I did not turn off wifi or LTE. Usage is at 4 and 1/2 hours and I'm at 64%.

What are you doing that feels slower? I upgraded from a 4 and everything is most definitely faster for me.

Sometimes it works fine but other times it won't load web pages at all and pauses video clips to buffer for a while. My signal also only have 1 bar but WiFi are full, just like my iPhone 4, which didn't have delays or anything though.

mrkgoo

Something about all my replies. I always get ignored.

I didn't quote you, but I did reply.

Septimus: I don't think you were late - those are simply the wait times the world over. As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure I was pretty close to first online for our store but mines also 3-4 weeks.

Just e glad it's not 5-6weeks!

My sister gt an iPhone 4 similarly and had to wait that month.

Got a dance to manhandle the new iphone5. No doubt about it, it,s the most gorgeous iPhone yet.

yogloo

How do you use the print feature on ios6? Do we need a compatible printer or can we set up our printer to a wireless router?

dwebo

he says it right there at the end:

Looking at the EXIF data, the big difference is that the photo shot with the built-in Camera app on the iPhone 5 had an ISO speed of 2500; the other three all maxed out at 800. It appears the iPhone 5 can go up to ISO 3200. That’s the two-stop difference Apple is promoting.
higher iso settings are better for low light. it's possible the third party apps just need to be updated to take advantage of them

gatti-man

Black = seamless borders. White = ugly black borders. And I don't mean the letterboxing on old apps, which is even worse, I just mean the thin line around the frame at all times. And then there's how it looks when the screen is off...

Nope. White looks class.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No It's still vague. Am I just supposed to assume that because he brings a technical term like ISO into play that it's a driver thing? (Or are you not answering my question) I don't know anything about photography but I do titl the joystick on my Panasonic to change the ISo until a photo looks right so I know that. I, just wondering if this is a "apps don't take advantage of the new hardware yet" thing or if its a software post processing thing. Snyou didn't answer me.

Woz

No It's still vague. Am I just supposed to assume that because he brings a technical term like ISO into play that it's a driver thing? (Or are you not answering my question) I don't know anything about photography but I do titl the joystick on my Panasonic to change the ISo until a photo looks right so I know that. I, just wondering if this is a "apps don't take advantage of the new hardware yet" thing or if its a software post processing thing. Snyou didn't answer me.

"Partially software driven" + "Official App more ISO than third party app" = "apps don't take advantage of the new hardware yet"

numble

That was why I was asking if the iPhone 4S he was using as a comparison was updated to iOS6 or not. But I just got harassed by the local neogaf applebots instead.

Are you referring to me? I told you that the ISP is on the SoC. How less clear is that?
7mOTh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUE2lqXw4w8#t=30m49s

"Partially software driven" + "Official App more ISO than third party app" = "apps don't take advantage of the new hardware yet"

This might explain why the Skype video call I had, in which both of us were using an iPhone 5, looked like garbage. Although it could've also been the network but I thought Facetime looked significantly better.

It's probably a bit of both. From rumors I've heard, there's a firmware "unlock" that allows the CMOS sensor to shoot the higher ISOs, and additional software processing to combat the increased noise inherent in low-light photography.

ISO is just a measurement of the "speed" (actually the sensitivity to light) of film from the old days of film photography; a linear carryover from the preceding ASA measuring scale. In ISO terms, every time you double the number, that represents a doubling of the "speed" of the film. For instance, ISO 800 film is twice as "fast" as ISO 400 film, meaning you need half the available light to capture relatively the same image.

Now this scale has been adapted to measure the relative "speed" of a photo chip (in this case, a CMOS chip) so that photographers who actually know about the technical aspects of photography have a point of comparison from analog film to digital photography.

Film or Digital, shooting high ISOs in low light always has consequences though. In film, shooting higher speed film, or even using a technique called "pushing" a film to higher than recommended range (by purposefully underexposing the film but overdeveloping it in the darkroom) came with the baggage of grainier images, and usually some color shift in color film, or a steeper contrast curve in B&W. In digital, shooting low light generally results in higher levels of what we generally call "noise."

Rumors abound that the iPhone 5 is using some tricks unlocked by new firmware to get at these higher ISOs. Some are saying the firmware can actually tell the individual photosites on the CMOS chip (that's the little areas that actually "capture" the photons and turn them into data) to group themselves so they mimic a chip with larger photosites.

I'm not sure if this rumor has been proven yet, but it has been done before, and seems plausible. I don't doubt there's something going on with the firmware.

The additional noise reduction processing I mentioned was confirmed to me by someone who should know. Whether this is done purely in software, somewhere in hardware, or whatever, who knows. (And who really cares, as long as it works.)

EDIT: Oh, I see that Shiller actually mentioned the latter at the keynote. That's cool. I got my info about the noise reduction from someone else at Apple. I'm glad to know I didn't reveal a secret. And from reading that, it looks like the noise reduction is all done in hardware on the A6, or at least made possible by it's boost in power.

Woz

This might explain why the Skype video call I had, in which both of us were using an iPhone 5, looked like garbage. Although it could've also been the network but I thought Facetime looked significantly better.

Yeah, probably devs need to update apps to take advantage of the new hw.

ChanHuk

Banned

I'm at 14hrs of standby and about 4.5 hours of usage, mainly on 4G/LTE and about 22% battery life left. Should add up to about 6-7hrs of usage, which is up there with Apple's claims. The biggest problem is that the phone is constantly searching for LTE coverage. So if you're in a weak area, turn it off. LTE is pretty good here with obviously some spotty areas. If I know I'm in a hood area, I turn off LTE. Does it suck? Yeah, but thats always been the issue, even with the iPhone 3G. It would search for 3G when EDGE is the stronger signal.

I'm really missing jailbreaking :( I'm also really wanting a black iPhone. The white is annoying me now.

Pachimari

From my launch last night:

Tu3ZWl.jpg

*Shot with iPhone 4.

My impressions so far:

• PLUS:
  • Nice light-weight and I'm already used to it with less than a day's use.
  • I lost my most precious app, Google Maps. Maps is no longer good for public transport here in Copenhagen. =(
  • It's fast but it's not a world of a difference compared to iPhone 4, maybe I were used to the speed-up tweak from Cydia before.
  • My favorite feature so far? Panorama, just took a shot, it works really great.
  • I'm positive to the front facing camera as well.
  • Earpods are VERY well done. Fits my ears.
  • Speakers are way louder than iPhone 4.
  • No scuffs, light leak, scratches, horizontal lines or anything on my device. Haven't tested out if the purple Halo rings appears.

MINUS:
  • Lightning is nice but will I be able to use my car charger and stereo with an adapter?
  • WiFi signal have been worse than iPhone 4, remarkably. Stops to buffer videos, sometimes won't load websites and Siri is very slow at times, sometimes never responding. Apple servers stressed?
  • It's taller and I have found it more troublesome texting even though it's the same width and keyboard, must be somekind of illusion.
  • No official Apple dock.
  • I really miss my jailbreak. =;(
  • I won't have LTE 4G until november. =(
  • If you got an iPhone 4 you could wait for the next one. I bought an iPhone 5, so that my father could have an iPhone as well.

TheDanger

Banned
[*]It's fast but it's not a world of a difference compared to iPhone 4, maybe I were used to the speed-up tweak from Cydia before.

You mean the tweak that speeds up the animations ? That looks fucking ugly and feels bad, not worth it IMO.

Applications, browser rendering, games... actually everything apart from the animations is significantly faster.

Pachimari

You mean the tweak that speeds up the animations ? That looks fucking ugly and feels bad, not worth it IMO.

Applications, browser rendering, games... actually everything apart from the animations is significantly faster.

I guess it depends which of the speed-up tweaks you use? It was amazing on my end.
Yup, I know it's significantly faster but I haven't noticed much of it. The camera app's speed is slick though.

Marco1

I have just done my 3rd exchange and this one couldn't be more perfect.
There is not one single scratch , the screen has no light bleeding or dead pixels and everything just works as it should. So the good ones definately are out there.

noah111

Still Alive
If you got an iPhone 4 you could wait for the next one. I bought an iPhone 5, so that my father could have an iPhone as well.
That's what i'm planning on doing. I'll still get a chance to play with one, though, but I think i'll pass on actually getting one for myself.

Top Bottom