• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I'm on a 4 now and I think I might just wait to be honest.

I've been running iOS6 for a while now and it's a nice upgrade indeed, but just didn't push the boat out enough for my usage

Maps is poor for me in my area
AppStore updateis nice, but new app discovery is weak
Passbook is pretty much useless in the UK
4G is useless in the UK (for now)

So theres not much more that interests me about the iPhone 5 and iOS6. I have an iPad and I love it, so think I might just chill with my current setup.

You can make your lock screen and background image whatever you want. That's purely there for the demo video that runs on the iPhone 5. If you've seen people with that background on their personal phones it's because they put it there themselves.

Been using my 5 for the past day and a half. I really love the device and the screen, but coming from android, I have a few noobish questions.

1. I hate the keyboard - why are all the letters all caps? Why do I have to go to a separate screen to enter numbers? I'm coming from Android, where I used Swiftkey, which was great.
2. How do I set my own mp3 as a text alert noise? Want to use the Crackdown Agility Orb get noise, can't figure it out.

Really do absolutely HATE the map, but I was expecting that, so I'll live. I'm a sucker for well-designed shiny things, so for the most part I'm really happy with the phone.

Pachimari

I'm trying to convince a friend that the iPhone 5 takes better pictures than iPhone 4S with better color reproduction, low-light and such. Did we have pictures or links comparing the two?

She keeps talking about the same megapixels lol.

noah111

Still Alive
Been using my 5 for the past day and a half. I really love the device and the screen, but coming from android, I have a few noobish questions.

1. I hate the keyboard - why are all the letters all caps? Why do I have to go to a separate screen to enter numbers? I'm coming from Android, where I used Swiftkey, which was great.
2. How do I set my own mp3 as a text alert noise? Want to use the Crackdown Agility Orb get noise, can't figure it out.

Really do absolutely HATE the map, but I was expecting that, so I'll live. I'm a sucker for well-designed shiny things, so for the most part I'm really happy with the phone.
You can hold the numbers key and slide over to a number/character to enter it faster without having to go to the separate screen and then back.

For MP3's as tones, I do that from the iTunes side of things by using garage band, but there are specific apps for that kind of thing I think.

1) More aesthetically pleasing? Easier to tell what letter is what? Normal, physical keyboards are like this too. As for the numbers, they did that to keep screen space used by the keyboard down. Apple is all about user interface.

2) You can do this two ways - if you have Garage Band (either on your Mac computer or the mobile version) you can really really easily make ringtones and send them right to iTunes. The other way to do it is to use whatever 3rd party app you can find that will turn an mp3 into a... what is it... m4a? m4r? Whatever the proprietary format for sounds on an iPhone is.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm trying to convince a friend that the iPhone 5 takes better pictures than iPhone 4S with better color reproduction, low-light and such. Did we have pictures or links comparing the two?

She keeps talking about the same megapixels lol.
:lol It's a common misconception that camera quality is tied solely to megapixels. Here;

iphone5-4s-camera-comparison.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Just tonight I had some noticeable lag when texting on the iPhone 5... the audible clicks for each letter weren't in sync with my finger presses, something I haven't seen before on my (non-iOS6) iPhone 4. A reboot of course fixed it, but it was new.

Had this issue last night! A nice iOS 6 bug.

Also have had an issue where the App Store icon says there are updates, but then when I check, it won't check for new updates until I force close the application.

I thought that the clicking thing was a new feature? Instead of clicking for every single key you hit it only clicks for some of them, due to people typing really fast and all the clicks overloading? I was sure I read that somewhere - that they'd changed it to not click for every key.

Cyport

I've got a weird graphics glitch with the keyboard when it pops up in the app store. Am I the only one? It only happens when being told to enter password in the app store area.

iJDXw4IMEHvmN.jpg

Pachimari

I can't seem to reproduce those lines but it's an error that has been reported before yeah. :)

I think I know why it's more troublesome for me to write on the iPhone 5 keyboard, probably because the screen has been lowered a bit.

I can't seem to reproduce those lines but it's an error that has been reported before yeah. :)

I think I know why it's more troublesome for me to write on the iPhone 5 keyboard, probably because the screen has been lowered a bit.

Yep and it's driving me fucking nuts. I'm missing keys and hitting the spacebar and misspelling shit all the time now, goddammit.

Nicktendo86

Had this issue last night! A nice iOS 6 bug.

Also have had an issue where the App Store icon says there are updates, but then when I check, it won't check for new updates until I force close the application.

I also have this problem with the app store. My girlfriend also does on her ipod, she is not interested in tech at all and it suprised me yesterday when, out of the blue, she just said "ios6 is shit".

noah111

Still Alive
Oh yeah, wierd that there is no (official) dockstation. That's how I put it when going to sleep.
It's probably too long and too thin to hold it's own well enough. Or Apple just being lazy.. teir docks kind of suck anyway, are there any 3rd party ones out there yet?

Tobor

It's probably too long and too thin to hold it's own well enough. Or Apple just being lazy.. teir docks kind of suck anyway, are there any 3rd party ones out there yet?

The official statement is that people prefer the clock radio docks and stuff like that to a simple standalone dock.

They probably weren't selling enough to make it worth their while anymore.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, Three Ireland apparently sent micro sims with all their iPhone 5 deliveries this morning (free nano replacements in store), still too funny.

Isn't is strange that Apple isn't making bumpers for this new phone?

It's almost like someone at Apple said "We're making bumpers for the new phone, right?".

Tim Cook was like "Nah, we don't need the money".

I mean seriously, it's like free money. You make bumpers, and people buy them. Why would you not make bumpers for the new phone? Or if not bumpers, why not any case at all? I always wondered why Apple never made their own cases prior to the 4, and now the 5 shows up and they're back to not wanting that revenue.

LaneDS

Yep and it's driving me fucking nuts. I'm missing keys and hitting the spacebar and misspelling shit all the time now, goddammit.

I especially like trying to type on apps that haven't been updated for the new resolution yet, where your keyboard is higher than you've started to grow accustomed to.

Isn't is strange that Apple isn't making bumpers for this new phone?

It's almost like someone at Apple said "We're making bumpers for the new phone, right?".

Tim Cook was like "Nah, we don't need the money".

I mean seriously, it's like free money. You make bumpers, and people buy them. Why would you not make bumpers for the new phone? Or if not bumpers, why not any case at all? I always wondered why Apple never made their own cases prior to the 4, and now the 5 shows up and they're back to not wanting that revenue.

Maybe their pride associates it too closely with the antenna shit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Do iCloud saves push? If I play a game on my iPad, then leave, head underground on the subway and fire it up on my iPhone which is now disconnected, will the save pop up?

andycapps

I had some of the same issues coming from Android and using Swiftkey. I think Swiftkey is a better keyboard than iOS's, but you'll adapt pretty quickly. One easy thing that helps a lot is that if you double space at the end of a sentence it automatically inserts a period. Saves some time and keystrokes.

sangreal

heh, thought I finally had a chance to try out Passbook since I'm flying to Germany tonight but of course United has decided not to offer me a mobile boarding pass. I guess it has something to do with international flights? My airport definitely supports mobile boarding passes and has for many years

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, in the settings for cellular what does the "Use cellular data for:" "iTunes" contain?

It's set to off, if it's on will iTunes match work better on the road?

Cudder

Guys this might be a stupid question, but I need to ask. (Canadians)

My girlfriend got her iPhone 5 in today so I got to play with it. She upgrades from her 3GS and only had a 500MB 3G Data plan on Rogers. I noticed while we were at a restaurant that LTE was always shown in her bar at the top, which confused me because I knew she only had a 3G plan before.

I thought maybe the dude at Rogers screwed her without her knowing and somehow applied an LTE upgrade on her without her consent. I know LTE is more costly than 3G.

A quick Google search ran this link.

Sooo I guess it's normal? Did Rogers really upgrade EVERYONE'S 3G plan into LTE? I'm so confused...

sangreal

Just tonight I had some noticeable lag when texting on the iPhone 5... the audible clicks for each letter weren't in sync with my finger presses, something I haven't seen before on my (non-iOS6) iPhone 4. A reboot of course fixed it, but it was new.

just experienced this too. very annoying

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Question, in the settings for cellular what does the "Use cellular data for:" "iTunes" contain?

It's set to off, if it's on will iTunes match work better on the road?

Yeah, if it's set to On the App Store, iTunes Store and Music app (Match inclusive) will use cell data when WiFi isn't available.

sangreal

PSA: Gmail app just got updated for iPhone 5

Still can't change the notification sound :/

is that an iOS thing or a Gmail thing? When I looked it up Google said it would be added in an update but that post was months ago so now I'm not sure. Do any third-party apps have custom notification sounds?

I need to use this stupid app because the 'Exchange' sync in Mail doesn't work with my company's Google Apps (probably blocked by admin) and the 'Gmail' option works but doesn't push

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, if it's set to On the App Store, iTunes Store and Music app (Match inclusive) will use cell data when WiFi isn't available.

Hmm, Match worked somewhat on 3G earlier this week with it set to "off" though. It had to buffer a lot though and some tracks were grayed out.

I don't know enough about how match works to know how it worked when set to "off" but maybe turning it on will help.

Top Bottom