• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, Match worked somewhat on 3G earlier this week with it set to "off" though. It had to buffer a lot though and some tracks were grayed out.

I don't know enough about how match works to know how it worked when set to "off" but maybe turning it on will help.

The Music app (and the Podcast app) has an individual Use Cellular Data toggle as well, that was probably on. They do the same thing.

Also, they weren't kidding when they said this new display has richer colours, 4S looks washed out by comparison.

Mairu

I've got a weird graphics glitch with the keyboard when it pops up in the app store. Am I the only one? It only happens when being told to enter password in the app store area.

iJDXw4IMEHvmN.jpg
Happens to me frequently, kind of annoying.
PSA: Gmail app just got updated for iPhone 5

Is there any reason to use this over Sparrow? I'm just curious, I switched to Sparrow awhile ago but I don't know when or if it will get updated for the 5.

Made a Genius Bar appointment about my dead pixel. Decided I'm not a man after all. I just hope they have brown box replacements!

I can't deal with dead pixels either. In fact, whenever I get a new display I try and keep my excitement at a minimum in case I need to do a dead pixel return. It works out well because if the display is clear I'm both relieved and excited.

BeeDog

Yay, my iPhone 5 was waiting for me when I got back home from work.

Before I even think about using it, I would like to clarify something:

Is there any way to move over everything (that is, including text messages/SMS's) from my iPhone 4 to the new phone?

Many thanks in advance.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Is there any way to move over everything (that is, including text messages/SMS's) from my iPhone 4 to the new phone?

Many thanks in advance.

Backup to iCloud, restore from iCloud.

Takes a little while to re-download all your apps but everything should carry over fine. Be prepared to re-enter all your passwords for various mail/ID accounts one after another when the restoration starts. :p

tmdorsey

Yep. iCloud backup and restore is so easy it's a pleasure.

EDIT: The password reenter for mail and IDs is an annoyance, but understandable.

NYR

Many thanks in advance.
This is very common. Make sure you have been backing up to iCloud.

Or conversely, back up via iTunes, plug in new phone, choose restore from back up.

Can't you also just back it up to your computer?
Yep. I find it better to use both. I always restore from iTunes, because I use apps not in the app store anymore, like VLC. Can't download those apps from iCloud.

Pachimari

Guys, is there a great vent mount holder for my iPhone 5 and car? I really need one for when I use it as GPS.

Also, can I use my car charger for iPhone with an adapter and it'll charge my iPhone 5?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wonder if something could be wrong with my phone making 3G suck. It's at 0.15 down today. Yesterday it was working better, around 1 MB. Today and earlier this week it's awful.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I've got a weird graphics glitch with the keyboard when it pops up in the app store. Am I the only one? It only happens when being told to enter password in the app store area.

iJDXw4IMEHvmN.jpg

Happened to me too. Shit scared me when it did that lol

Mairu

Anyone have this weird issue with the battery meter in that the first % doesn't seem to drop and then much later it seems to drop rapidly? I've done a full drain on my phone once this week. Right now it's at 100% still with 26 minutes of usage and 1 hour, 32 minutes of standby... seems kinda weird.

Vyer

Wonder if something could be wrong with my phone making 3G suck. It's at 0.15 down today. Yesterday it was working better, around 1 MB. Today and earlier this week it's awful.

Might be worth it to just back up to iCloud, get it replaced, and restore. At least that way you can be sure nothing is wrong with the handset.

Anyone have this weird issue with the battery meter in that the first % doesn't seem to drop and then much later it seems to drop rapidly? I've done a full drain on my phone once this week. Right now it's at 100% still with 26 minutes of usage and 1 hour, 32 minutes of standby... seems kinda weird.

I think I've even noticed this on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 recently.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Might be worth it to just back up to iCloud, get it replaced, and restore. At least that way you can be sure nothing is wrong with the handset.

Might try a reset. Odd thing is that web pages in safari seem to be loading just fine, but when I download apps it crawls and sometimes they error out. Plus the speedtest gives slow results. Hmm...

Yep. iCloud backup and restore is so easy it's a pleasure.

That doesn't work well if you have your content in two locations. I'm not even sure how to utilize iCloud backup when you have content on the PC since I just encountered that situation and couldn't do anything about it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That doesn't work well if you have your content in two locations. I'm not even sure how to utilize iCloud backup when you have content on the PC since I just encountered that situation and couldn't do anything about it.

Restoring from an iCloud backup also assigns the new phone to the iTunes library ID that is on your PC. Legacy files (videos, ringtones etc. I assume?) can be moved over afterwards.

On another note, while not 4G (lol Ireland..), 3G speeds are getting pretty decent here these days:

Restoring from an iCloud backup also assigns the new phone to the iTunes library ID that is on your PC. Legacy files (videos, ringtones etc. I assume?) can be moved over afterwards.

So a couple questions here about that then. If all that has ever been done on the PC is a backup, how do you restore the photos taken with the camera when all you have is a restore from backup? Also, how do you migrate to a new PC? iPhones have always seemed to have been a pain in the ass when trying to move to a new PC.

hmmm learned that mom's company can get 20% off apple products (including substized phones).

think i might go 32gb this time.

How much actual space do you have for stuff on a 32gb?

tmdorsey

So a couple questions here about that then. If all that has ever been done on the PC is a backup, how do you restore the photos taken with the camera when all you have is a restore from backup? Also, how do you migrate to a new PC? iPhones have always seemed to have been a pain in the ass when trying to move to a new PC.

The camera roll is automatically backed up when you do an iCloud backup. So as long as your iCloud backup is update you should be good. I think an iCloud backup is done anytime the phone is plugged in and connected to wifi.

As for migrating to a new PC, I'm not sure as I've never had to do this yet.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
The battery life on this phone is really pretty horrible. I'm getting like 4 hours on 4G.

You've definitely got massive issues with something, either settings wise, or it's faulty. Mine went 13 hours in Verizon LTE and only went down to 40%.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Part of your question was answered above.

I just migrated my library from my Mac over to my new PC. iTunes provides a simple export library option via the File menu. Or you can adhoc it and simply copy the library xml files stores where your iTunes Media folder is located. Then start iTunes on your new PC while holding the Shift key to bring up the option to select where your library is (works excellently with external libraries too anecdotally).

jcm

The battery life on this phone is really pretty horrible. I'm getting like 4 hours on 4G.

I decided not to charge my phone last night out of curiosity. This is my normal usage pattern. Mostly home with wifi, five or six hours out and about on LTE, lots of music listening/texting/emailing/web browsing/rss reading, very little phone talking.

Part of your question was answered above.

I just migrated my library from my Mac over to my new PC. iTunes provides a simple export library option via the File menu. Or you can adhoc it and simply copy the library xml files stores where your iTunes Media folder is located. Then start iTunes on your new PC while holding the Shift key to bring up the option to select where your library is (works excellently with external libraries too anecdotally).

I always thought you can't pull out individual parts from a backup though. So here's the exact scenario.

I have an iPhone with iCloud backups enabled for apps only since Photos pushes over the 5 gig limit. I have another laptop that used to be the primary computer but hasn't been used in ages since the new laptop has been used. On top of that, I can't power it on at the moment cuz I've misplaced the power supply. I can take that iPhone to the new computer, and back it up there just fine though since iTunes will let me.

Now I go to wipe my phone, how do I get it back to the way it was? Restoring from the new computer only gets the photos and app data, but no apps since they don't exist on that one. Doing it from iCloud gets the apps back and app data, but no Photos and it thinks the PC is the old one that it used to be associated to. How do I fix this to do a full restore and get it to where it was?

Jarmel

Banned
I decided not to charge my phone last night out of curiosity. This is my normal usage pattern. Mostly home with wifi, five or six hours out and about on LTE, lots of music listening/texting/emailing/web browsing/rss reading, very little phone talking.

I'm at 4:28 and at 12%. Medium brightness, no push. The only thing I can think of is using iTunes Match and the streaming from that. Not even on LTE.

ChanHuk

Banned
Anybody get their carrier to waive the upgrade fee? Kind of asinine that they're charging $36 just to upgrade a phone. I think I'll call and bitch about this one.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I always thought you can't pull out individual parts from a backup though. So here's the exact scenario.

I have an iPhone with iCloud backups enabled for apps only since Photos pushes over the 5 gig limit. I have another laptop that used to be the primary computer but hasn't been used in ages since the new laptop has been used. On top of that, I can't power it on at the moment cuz I've misplaced the power supply. I can take that iPhone to the new computer, and back it up there just fine though since iTunes will let me.

Now I go to wipe my phone, how do I get it back to the way it was? Restoring from the new computer only gets the photos and app data, but no apps since they don't exist on that one.
Doing it from iCloud gets the apps back and app data, but no Photos and it thinks the PC is the old one that it used to be associated to. How do I fix this to do a full restore and get it to where it was?

I'm confused about the bold part. You had everything backed up via iTunes on a laptop you can no longer access and to your new PC? Or does your new PC only have partial iTunes backups.
If your new PC lets you back up via iTunes, why don't you just do that? Transferring purchases should move all your apps over if they're not on the new PC already before wipe/restore.

I'm confused about the bold part. You had everything backed up via iTunes on a laptop you can no longer access and to your new PC? Or does your new PC only have partial iTunes backups.
If your new PC lets you back up via iTunes, why don't you just do that? Transferring purchases should move all your apps over if they're not on the new PC already before wipe/restore.

The new PC for some reason didn't transfer the apps. Even after logging in from iTunes and hitting download all for the app history, it doesn't restore apps to the phone when doing a restore.

tmdorsey

Now I go to wipe my phone, how do I get it back to the way it was? Restoring from the new computer only gets the photos and app data, but no apps since they don't exist on that one. Doing it from iCloud gets the apps back and app data, but no Photos and it thinks the PC is the old one that it used to be associated to. How do I fix this to do a full restore and get it to where it was?

Sounds like you want to restore from iCloud to get your apps and data back, and then do a sync with your laptop to get your photos back.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The new PC for some reason didn't transfer the apps. Even after logging in from iTunes and hitting download all for the app history, it doesn't restore apps to the phone when doing a restore.

Is the mobile applications folder read-only or something? I have no idea why it wouldn't..

An iCloud backup retains what apps you have installed on the phone and re-downloads them during a restore (that the apps still exist on the store is required obviously).

To solve the photos issue, if you can't access the laptop, I'd suggest you pull your camera roll off your phone when it's connected to your PC and re-sync it via iTunes as an album. Alternatively (and slightly more complicated) if you require your photos to be in your camera roll, you can re-upload them to your photo stream via the C:\Users\<username>\Pictures\Photo Stream\Uploads folder on your PC. Then save them to your camera roll again via the phone. Sounds like you have thousands upon thousands of photos though so I don't know if that's viable/sane.

Sounds like you want to restore from iCloud to get your apps and data back, and then do a sync with your laptop to get your photos back.

I don't think that works, because unless it creates a copy of all the photos during a backup that you can use for a sync, I don't have anything to sync to. I just have the restore from backup option.

Is the mobile applications folder read-only or something? I have no idea why it wouldn't..

An iCloud backup retains what apps you have installed on the phone and re-downloads them during a restore (that the apps still exist on the store is required obviously).

I would hope it's not read-only. It was a fresh install of iTunes. The apps are there after downloading them from my history, they just don't restore to the phone. Eventually the only thing I could do was just download the app from the app store on the phone after I did a restore from backup from the PC. It was anything but painless. It seems weird to me that a backup and restore isn't a true backup and restore. It's partial.

Anybody get their carrier to waive the upgrade fee? Kind of asinine that they're charging $36 just to upgrade a phone. I think I'll call and bitch about this one.

I called AT&T and got all 3 of my iPhone 5 upgrade fees waived. It didn't take much complaining either, I've been with AT&T since 1999.

Mairu

I wish you could backup/restore individual applications or sections instead of having to restore the whole phone. As someone who goes between jailbreak and non-jailbreak occasionally, I find it better for the phone's performance to do "fresh" iOS installs. I'd really appreciate the ability to restore only specific app settings/data.

jcm

I'm at 4:28 and at 12%. Medium brightness, no push. The only thing I can think of is using iTunes Match and the streaming from that. Not even on LTE.

Sorry, I don't use Match, and don't do much pulling of streaming. I do push music from the phone to an Apple TV via airplay. Maybe that's less intensive, though I can't imagine why it would be.

It's probably worth taking it to an Apple store and having them run diagnostics on the battery though.

Brera

Banned
I caved and i've ordered a 16gb black.

£42 a month, unlimited calls and texts but only 2gb data but that should do!

Now gotta wait 2 weeks!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't think that works, because unless it creates a copy of all the photos during a backup that you can use for a sync, I don't have anything to sync to. I just have the restore from backup option.

I would hope it's not read-only. It was a fresh install of iTunes. The apps are there after downloading them from my history, they just don't restore to the phone. Eventually the only thing I could do was just download the app from the app store on the phone after I did a restore from backup from the PC. It was anything but painless. It seems weird to me that a backup and restore isn't a true backup and restore. It's partial.

I have no idea, I have never encountered what you're describing unless my phone was synced with another "iTunes library ID" (each installation is different), at which point apps won't transfer over (maybe something like that got stuck for you when you initially moved from the laptop to the PC).

LaneDS

Is AppleCare+ available regardless of where you purchased the device? I.e. I bought mine directly through Verizon, but think I'd like to cover the thing because I know my edges are going to look like shit after months of use.

Cloudy

Banned
Just got my defender case. I can finally stop being so "protective" of the phone. They really improved the material from the 4S version too. Way more durable. I'd rather spend the $50 on this than AppleCare :)

Is AppleCare+ available regardless of where you purchased the device? I.e. I bought mine directly through Verizon, but think I'd like to cover the thing because I know my edges are going to look like shit after months of use.

Normally I'd say AppleCare isn't worth it, but I wonder how AppleCare will work when making a claim against the scuffs? If that's the only reason you're doing it, you might have something there but otherwise it's a waste of money.

Cudder

I thought all plans were upgraded to LTE automatically... unless that was only 1gb+ plans?

I had no idea about this but that's what it seems to be. I guess I also have an LTE plan if they upgraded everyone? Just need an LTE device? Don't think my Galaxy Nexus is LTE ready...thanks for the help.

One more question though. Say you wanted to actually use 3G on your iphone 5 instead of LTE, to save battery life. Possible? Is the sim card 3G ready as well?

andycapps

Anyone else on Verizon? Can you post your 3G speed for comparison? Can you download apps fine?

My data speeds are really inconsistent on Sprint as well. My speeds sometimes are horrible at a certain location. And then they're great a few minutes later. Never had that on my EVO at that same location.

Starting to wonder if LTE being on if 3G isn't in your area actually drains any battery. It's all on one chip. The main issue with LTE usage seems to be if you're in a fringe area where the phone struggles to hold signal. If there's no signal at all I doubt there's much difference. Still, if you don't have it, I guess it doesn't hurt to turn it off.

Top Bottom