• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Nori Chan

So how is Scuff gate going?

I kinda held back on getting day 1 iPhones because usually there is something wrong with it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it this week with my gf. Has apple acknowledged it or what? Also, how long would it take to back up my iPhone 4 data? And to put it inot my 5?

SJRB

Gold Member
I just ordered mine [black, 8gb], should be here by Friday if all goes well.

I'm actually pretty excited, I've been using a Blackberry Bold 9700 for the last two years which is a solid phone, but I've grown tired of its limited capabilities.

snack

I'm actually pretty excited, I've been using a Blackberry Bold 9700 for the last two years which is a solid phone, but I've grown tired of its limited capabilities.

You sure it's not 16GB? lol

Anyone notice that the whenever you wake your iphone via sliding unlock, it always does a location check. I don't think my iphone 4 did that. Is there a way to turn this off?

Do unlimited users get throttled down to 3G? AT&T's 3G speed is pretty good, so I could live with that. Dropping from LTE to EDGE would be too far though.

Noema

My carrier (Telcel in Mexico) has been doing the same thing for years: I have an unlimited plan, but if I go over 1GB in one period they throttle me down to 128kbps.

My carrier (Telcel in Mexico) has been doing the same thing for years: I have an unlimited plan, but if I go over 1GB in one period they throttle me down to 128kbps.

It shouldn't be legal to do that. Of course it might be mentioned in the legal text fine print, but they should have to say that clearly in their advertising as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's sick. Has this been brought to court yet? It's like they advertise all u can eat but after 2 plates they say u can only eat one grain of rice at a time until you get tired of wasting your time and get up to leave.
Feel cheated? Small claims court brings big wins - WSJ.com
Spaccarelli was awarded $850 last week [February 2012] after successfully suing AT&T for slowing down the data service on his iPhone when he hit a limit for downloads, even though he had an "unlimited data" plan.
A tort case or government legislation would the ideal though

It shouldn't be legal to do that. Of course it might be mentioned in the legal text fine print, but they should have to say that clearly in their advertising as well.

Not necessarily. 'Unlimited data usage' doesn't by no mean imply 'no throttling'. He could technically still be surfing the net 24/7 at the throttled speed because the 'unlimited' usage refers to how much data you're using on their network. Once a upon time, if you went over e.g. 1GB, you'd be charged for every xxMB you went over

MasLegio

Banned

Dude, you just ordered the 2 year old iPhone 4 if you ordered a phone with 8 gb....

Phreaker

Yeah but to be fair this was after 5 GB.

Right, which is actually quite an upgrade. I was being throttled at 3 GB on my last iPhone, now I get 5 GBs (on LTE) before throttling. I've only hit 3GBs once as far as I know (got a text message). I'm usually around WiFi.

That would do it, but I want to use them, I just don't get why the thing needs to know the location each time I hit the home button and unlock the screen.

I don't see that happening on mine and I have location services enabled. Do you actually see the little arrow indicator in the title bar appear for a second each time you slide to unlock? If so, do you have some app that uses that feature like a weather alert app that alerts you to storms based on your current location?

mrkgoo

Hooray! Due to competition, the latest prepay bundle with vodafone in new Zealand is now indefinite so long as you keep renewing it.

For Nz$19 per month (~US$12-15 depending on exchange rate), I get 50 minutes, 5000txt, and 500 MB.

I think it's pretty good.

border

So a bunch of my iTunes playlists downloaded over LTE and I'm already over my "unlimited" cap.

Yay for throttling!

.5 Mbps per second? Holy crap......is that worse than Edge/2G? I didn't realize how harsh the throttle was. Can you still stream music at that speed?

Lima

Oh it does? Hmm, I got match so I wouldn't have to have music on my device. Does it delete them eventually or do I manually have to do it?

It only streams to your PC/Mac or Apple TV.

iPhone and iPad have to download the songs atm. And no it doesn't delete them. So if you run out of space you have to manually delete the songs to make space.

This is actually the only thing that bothers me with Match. I am sure that this will be changed next year though.

.5 Mbps per second? Holy crap......is that worse than Edge/2G? I didn't realize how harsh the throttle was. Can you still stream music at that speed?

Spotify seems to work fine and browsing the web hasn't been too bad so far, but beyond that I haven't tried doing anything too network dependent. I don't think I'll be trying to stream Netflix/SlingBox too often while I'm throttled.

Just got my black 64 GB iPhone 5. Really liking it. This "too thin and too light" stuff is crazy talk to me. I love the way it feels. No scuffs. No case yet. I'll get one soon.

KoukiFC

Neo Member

iPhone and iPad have to download the songs atm. And no it doesn't delete them. So if you run out of space you have to manually delete the songs to make space.

This is actually the only thing that bothers me with Match. I am sure that this will be changed next year though.

Doesn't it play the song right away tho? I think that would constitute as streaming.

MasLegio

Banned
so apparantly they might have quite a few phones in an apple store nearby.

considering buying one on a payment plan (12 months, will pay off within 6)

only hurdle left is selling my 64gb iphone 4 and accessories (should pay half the iPhone 5)

what to do, what to do....

Right, which is actually quite an upgrade. I was being throttled at 3 GB on my last iPhone, now I get 5 GBs (on LTE) before throttling. I've only hit 3GBs once as far as I know (got a text message). I'm usually around WiFi.

I don't see that happening on mine and I have location services enabled. Do you actually see the little arrow indicator in the title bar appear for a second each time you slide to unlock? If so, do you have some app that uses that feature like a weather alert app that alerts you to storms based on your current location?

Thanks. I think I found it. I had location services set to on for Passbook. I turned that off and it's stopped doing it.

PSGames

Not necessarily. 'Unlimited data usage' doesn't by no mean imply 'no throttling'. He could technically still be surfing the net 24/7 at the throttled speed because the 'unlimited' usage refers to how much data you're using on their network. Once a upon time, if you went over e.g. 1GB, you'd be charged for every xxMB you went over

Actually it does imply no throttling. My Data plan is called "Data Unlimited for iphone on 4G LTE":

fts5q.png

This implies unlimited data on LTE.

So I've been having wifi issues. I tried wifi on and off. I tried setting proxy to auto.

I read up on the issue. No one is sure if it's hardware or software; however, numerous users have had issues connecting to WPA2 networks, which is how my wifi network is.

So, I go to the Apple store. The first Genius says to try to connect to their network. The phone connects. But of course I know one of the issues is in connecting to a secure network.

So then I go to Genius Bar and the next Genius tells me there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the phone if I'm connecting to their network. And I said, it might be the WPA2 issue, since we're connecting to an open wifi network. I asked her to try connecting to the secured network.

Next thing you know, she's like she can't. Apple puts restrictions on connecting to the secured network. I'm like wtf? I'm telling you the problem might be either my wireless network or just connecting to a secure network using WPA2.

She then resets the phone using iTunes. I'm like what now, and she says to try it again at home. I'm like that's not really going to fix my problem, but okay.

Come home still the same issue. I can't connect.

Also, for whoever asked about Scuff Gate. It's there. I looked at 20 phones at the store. It's pretty much blatant on the black/slate phones. You can see it on the white's but it is definitely more subdued.

It would take apple 1 year to fix this stupid shit, saving it for iOS 7

Circle T

Actually it does imply no throttling. My Data plan is called "Data Unlimited for iphone on 4G LTE":

http://i.imgur.com/fts5q.png

This implies unlimited data on LTE.

The "Unlimited" plans from AT&T that people are grandfathered in on, have no limits to the amount of data allowed, they just throttle after a certain limit, depending on network...

AT&T said:
Data usage with an unlimited plan

You can still use an unlimited amount of data each month. That won't change. Only your data throughput speed will change if you use 3GB or more in one billing cycle on a 3G or 4G smartphone, or 5GB or more in one billing cycle on a 4G LTE smartphone.
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410284#fbid=ypxweL7V0UK

All you're seeing there with the "iPhone on 4G LTE" bit is your SOC code. They have to provision your account correctly, to allow it to run on the LTE network. It's just an internal thing, basically, with no bearing on your plan costs or its usage abilities.

Anyone on an "Unlimited" plan at AT&T, be it on HSPA with an iPhone 3GS, or LTE with iPhone 5, will be throttled if their usage goes past a certain point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So a bunch of my iTunes playlists downloaded over LTE and I'm already over my "unlimited" cap.

Yay for throttling!
Why did you do that? That seems like one of those things where you could have just used Wi-Fi, and/or not downloaded them at all.

PSGames

The "Unlimited" plans from AT&T that people are grandfathered in on, have no limits to the amount of data allowed, they just throttle after a certain limit, depending on network...

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410284#fbid=ypxweL7V0UK

All you're seeing there with the "iPhone on 4G LTE" bit is your SOC code. They have to provision your account correctly, to allow it to run on the LTE network. It's just an internal thing, basically, with no bearing on your plan costs or its usage abilities.

Anyone on an "Unlimited" plan at AT&T, be it on HSPA with an iPhone 3GS, or LTE with iPhone 5, will be throttled if their usage goes past a certain point.

Oh I understand how it works I just think it's disingenuous how it's presented to customers. And with that guy winning $850 it appears I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom