• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

ChanHuk

Banned
I went to AT&T and got ready to exchange my 5 for an S3. waiting on a black 5 and figured I'd mess with the S3 while I wait (30 day return policy). Couldn't do it. The S3 is one ugly phone. It's got no character to it. The One X was a much better looking phone sitting next to it.

I went to AT&T and got ready to exchange my 5 for an S3. waiting on a black 5 and figured I'd mess with the S3 while I wait (30 day return policy). Couldn't do it. The S3 is one ugly phone. It's got no character to it. The One X was a much better looking phone sitting next to it.

Yeah sure just stick with an outdated OS and an inferior map solutions, not to mention the video doesn't display the proper 16:9 ratio.

Whooter

Yeah sure just stick with an outdated OS and an inferior map solutions, not to mention the video doesn't display the proper 16:9 ratio.

R42rJ.jpg

Number45

Sena Ultraslim case (While this case comes in 9 different colors, they're all pretty ugly from what I see on the site, so I would have to go with black)
Sena have just updated their 5 range, the buggers. I ordered the red Ultraslim yesterday, but now the Corsa is available (I have the red/white Corsa for my 4S) I'm going to see if I can amend the order for it. :(

DjRoomba

Banned
I like the earpods. They are noticeably better than the older earphones. They definitely stay in my ear better. Guess Apple deemed my ears worthy. I always listen to "Billie Jean" when testing out headphones, and the main difference I notice is the improved bass.

A pair of 20 dollar sony or panasonic headphones are better than the old ipod headphones, which are just plain shocking. Why would anyone use them. These new ones I have not tried, but they look retarded and the sound hole looks too small to sound good.

mrkgoo

A pair of 20 dollar sony or panasonic headphones are better than the old ipod headphones, which are just plain shocking. Why would anyone use them. These new ones I have not tried, but they look retarded and the sound hole looks too small to sound good.

The size of the holes being small doesn,t necessarily dictate them being bad. My etymotics have practically pinhole holes and they sound amazing! It,s the way they channel sound that is important.

I think Downcast is murdering my battery life. It seems to lose it's cache when streaming and re-downloads the episode or parts of it several times. Might have to try instacast or iCatcher or something because this sucks. Battery life is fine when I don't use the app.

Sena have just updated their 5 range, the buggers. I ordered the red Ultraslim yesterday, but now the Corsa is available (I have the red/white Corsa for my 4S) I'm going to see if I can amend the order for it. :(

Ahh now I've second guessing my ultraslim purchase. That corsa looks nice. What to do.

Ovid

Hi guys, I know this is a iPhone 5 thread but I have a question about the 4S I purchased in July of this year.

I don't why but something doesn't seem right with my battery. I never upgraded the firmware and I'm still running iOS 5.0.1 so please take that into consideration.

Anyways, my overnight standby drainage has been from a full battery when I go to bed (around 11pm) to 78% when I get up in the morning (around 7am). Wi-Fi, 3G, Location services and Bluetooth are all off. This can't be normal, right?

amrihua

I went and done it yesterday. Got an iPhone 4S that's still on contract and yet upgraded to iPhone 5. Now I play the waiting game. Mine should be delivered in a month. I was going to skip until I played with one, then it was buy!

LCfiner

Hi guys, I know this is a iPhone 5 thread but I have a question about the 4S I purchased in July of this year.

I don't why but something doesn't seem right with my battery. I never upgraded the firmware and I'm still running iOS 5.0.1 so please take that into consideration.

Anyways, my overnight standby drainage has been from a full battery when I go to bed (around 11pm) to 78% when I get up in the morning (around 7am). Wi-Fi, 3G, Location services and Bluetooth are all off. This can't be normal, right?

no, that's too much. try just restarting the thing and check the battery drain again. there's probably some system process that's running when it shouldn't

Blackhead

Redarse

no, that's too much. try just restarting the thing and check the battery drain again. there's probably some system process that's running when it shouldn't
... he should have upgraded the firmware.

knitoe

Disable Push and fetch manually. Close all apps by double clicking on Home button and X them all out. Then, see what happens overnight. You should only see 1-2% drop. If its still bad, you will have to do a firmware restore. If you don't have SHSH file saved, you can only restore to the latest firmware, iOS 6.

paskowitz

How much do you think a good condition iPhone 5 32gb Verizon will be worth in 2 years (off contract of course)? I should at least be able to recoup my $350 bill?

Pachimari

So I've been having wifi issues. I tried wifi on and off. I tried setting proxy to auto.

I read up on the issue. No one is sure if it's hardware or software; however, numerous users have had issues connecting to WPA2 networks, which is how my wifi network is.

So, I go to the Apple store. The first Genius says to try to connect to their network. The phone connects. But of course I know one of the issues is in connecting to a secure network.

So then I go to Genius Bar and the next Genius tells me there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the phone if I'm connecting to their network. And I said, it might be the WPA2 issue, since we're connecting to an open wifi network. I asked her to try connecting to the secured network.

Next thing you know, she's like she can't. Apple puts restrictions on connecting to the secured network. I'm like wtf? I'm telling you the problem might be either my wireless network or just connecting to a secure network using WPA2.

She then resets the phone using iTunes. I'm like what now, and she says to try it again at home. I'm like that's not really going to fix my problem, but okay.

Come home still the same issue. I can't connect.

Also, for whoever asked about Scuff Gate. It's there. I looked at 20 phones at the store. It's pretty much blatant on the black/slate phones. You can see it on the white's but it is definitely more subdued.
I have the EXACT same problem. Surely a fix must be incoming.

I've had mine caseless since day on and it looks fine. On the other hand, my ipad was also caseless and my idiot cat managed to knock it off my nightstand, resulting in this:

xSBDl.jpg

This image made me order a leather case for my ipad 3 yesterday, I have a keyboard which clips on to cover the screen but it has no drop protection.

Clipse

Looks like the Corsa isn't shipping until the beginning of next month. Should just keep the Ultraslim order since they're shipping out next week.

If your phone jailbroken?

dkeane

Got my 5 delivered yesterday. Of course there's a nick on the side.
There's no info in the OP so... Can I just make an appointment at an apple store to get it replaced?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Got my 5 delivered yesterday. Of course there's a nick on the side.
There's no info in the OP so... Can I just make an appointment at an apple store to get it replaced?

case by case... my apple store wouldn't replace a phone ordered online because there's no way to know if the damage was caused by me or the factory.. grr.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So how much standby drain should I get on LTE? I had my phone sitting around on WiFi and it didn't budge, turned wifi off, didn't do much at all, and it's draining pretty quick. Down to 91% in a pretty short period of time.

LCfiner

Nope.

Nah, I would like to keep it at this software version. I don't want to update to iOS 6 until they fix the map app. As I mentioned before, I updated my iPad 1 throughout tyear ears and it got really slow and Safari keeps crashing now. I don't want to do anymore updates on my Apple products if I don't have to.

Well if you can find an .ipsw file of iOS 5.1 or so, you should try to upgrade in itunes (i imagine that OTA upgrades are restricted to iOS 6). Greyface is right, there were improvements made to iOS 5 battery life and runaway processes. you don't need to upgrade to iOS 6.

Well if you can find an .ipsw file of iOS 5.1 or so, you should try to upgrade in itunes (i imagine that OTA upgrades are restricted to iOS 6). Greyface is right, there were improvements made to iOS 5 battery life and runaway processes. you don't need to upgrade to iOS 6.

You can't do that anymore. Apple closed off iOS5 upgrades.

-griffy-

Banned
Wait, this seems somewhat bad. Why hasn't this come up sooner?

Edit: Here's a whole thread on the issue:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2272535

That thread seems like it's a bunch of people who have never used a camera before. "When taking a pic of someone near a window, either the window is exposed properly and the person is dark or the person is exposed and the window is blown out." You don't say!

Also this purple flare thing is nonsense. I got all kinds of awful flare with my 4 camera, it just wasn't purple tinted. The fact is any phone camera only takes serviceable pictures, and will always have weird limitations since the lens and sensor are so tiny. Every picture I've seen with a purple flare is a crappy picture regardless of the purple flare, since the only times I see the flare are in specific circumstances with light right at the edge or off screen that is causing wonky lighting and blown out parts of the frame anyways. "Look, this shot I took with the sun off frame causing a giant ugly lens flare to cover the entire image and render the background unviewable has some purple in it! How can I take a crappy picture like this!?"

Also, have people ever watched movies? I suppose all those colored anamorphic lens flares all over the place in action movies for the last several decades are the result of defective cameras too.

Number45

Looks like the Corsa isn't shipping until the beginning of next month. Should just keep the Ultraslim order since they're shipping out next week.
Yeah I know, but the plan at the moment is not to get my phone until the end of this month so it won't be much of a wait. I really do like the design of the Corsa. :)

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Can someone please explain to me why the hell sprint sells the 16g iPhone 5 for 649.00 and cricket for 499.00

8RJB8.png

UtekU.png

I have sprint and if I want to upgrade I would have to pay the 649.00. Why the hell would I want to do that when I could go buy the unlocked cricket one and put in an AT&T SIM card.

CFMOORE!

Hey Guys, this has probably been asked but it is hard to keep up with this thread. I am looking to buy an unlocked iphone5 from apple but every time I call the stores in the morning to ask about shipments they're being dicks not fully understanding what i am looking for.

For those of you who got the unlocked "device only" versions, did you get them from apple stores, verizon stores, att stores? Any help would be great!!!

edit: also, this phone is being bought for a friend in taiwan, so there is some concern about help with the phone if they need it.

Top Bottom