• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Dany

Banned
Finally got my gelaskin :D

oxhNdl.jpg

Circle T

Oh I understand how it works I just think it's disingenuous how it's presented to customers. And with that guy winning $850 it appears I'm not the only one.

Sadly, disingenuous is the name of the game within the US wireless industry. They all want to make it seem like their new tiered plans are so much better, with more options, yada yada. The reality is, if everyone is on a fully Unlimited plan, they can't get anyone with any overages. Customer satisfaction and affordability goes out the window in favor of revenue and shareholder profits.

jts

...hate me...
It seems like most of Apple's programs require you to manually turn on cellular data for large downloads. I know the podcast app does. What happened that caused you to accidentally download several gigs of MP3s?
For MP3s (iTunes match), you only get to choose cellular data on or off. If it's on, and you start downloading a playlist with a shitload of songs, there won't be any prompt or anything. And it downloads it all.

In what universe does Verizon have unlimited data for 13 dollars more than Sprint? Also not sure what the 28 and 18% discounts you're talking about are. Are they generally available to all?

That's my employee discount. My verizon one is legit, my sprint one a fried just applied the pepsi one for me. And my monthly Verizon bill is 81 a month. Sprint was 68. I made the switch 4-6 months ago and well worth it.

It seems like most of Apple's programs require you to manually turn on cellular data for large downloads. I know the podcast app does. What happened that caused you to accidentally download several gigs of MP3s?

Part of it was downloaded on WiFi, it's just that the majority kept on downloading while I was away from WiFi. I'm not blaming Apple or even AT&T for throttling my account, this one's on me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ugh

get iphone 5

drive all the way to nearest mall

get nano-sim

come home

go online and update sim number

have iphone tell me "sim not provisioned"

*cry*

i dont remember a wait time going from sim to micro-sim

Clipse

Was just about to pull the trigger on the Spigen Crumena case, but it looks like Sena will start shipping out their Ultraslim cases next week. I've had a Ultraslim case for my iPhone 3G and found it to be decent, but was wondering if anyone had any comments on Spigen's cases.

iphone5_crumena_thumbnmail_0001_brown.jpg

Spigen Crumena case (The light brown looks great with the white iPhone 5 imo)

or

black.jpg

Sena Ultraslim case (While this case comes in 9 different colors, they're all pretty ugly from what I see on the site, so I would have to go with black)

I have over 40 apps that will not install from my computer when syncing. Is there a reason for this? How do I get it to sync back without manually downloading each one?

Husker86

What's the point of having that speed when you are cap to 2gb to 3gb a month?
I dropped my unlimited and have 5GB now. Caps suck, but to think that having LTE speed with several gigabytes of data is useless is silly. Just because we have LTE doesn't mean we need to download huge files to make use of it. I've tethered, watched Hulu and browsed the web just as I did with my previous LTE phone and haven't ran into my cap yet. My average usage before was about 3-4GB. I know if I needed to I could take that much further down if I didn't download podcasts over LTE just because I felt like it.

(Yes, I realize 5GB is more than the 2 you mentioned, but I assume you would say the same thing about 5GB caps, correct me if I'm wrong)

I dropped my unlimited and have 5GB now. Caps suck, but to think that having LTE speed with several gigabytes of data is useless is silly. Just because we have LTE doesn't mean we need to download huge files to make use of it. I've tethered, watched Hulu and browsed the web just as I did with my previous LTE phone and haven't ran into my cap yet. My average usage before was about 3-4GB. I know if I needed to I could take that much further down if I didn't download podcasts over LTE just because I felt like it.

(Yes, I realize 5GB is more than the 2 you mentioned, but I assume you would say the same thing about 5GB caps, correct me if I'm wrong)

I think they should have continued charging $30 monthly for unlimited data, but only charge you $20 on months you only used 2 GB of data. That way, people can use more data if they want, but are incentivized to not go crazy on it.

Husker86

I think they should have continued charging $30 monthly for unlimited data, but only charge you $20 on months you only used 2 GB of data. That way, people can use more data if they want, but are incentivized to not go crazy on it.
But that would be nice for the customer, and North American carriers can't have any of that it seems.

Tabris

Where are the accessories?! Being dock less is extremely annoying. I had a great alarm clock dock which I want to replace but I'm not seeing a single lightning dock announcement anywhere (I know Apple isn't doing one).

jts

...hate me...
Where are the accessories?! Being dock less is extremely annoying. I had a great alarm clock dock which I want to replace but I'm not seeing a single lightning dock announcement anywhere (I know Apple isn't doing one).

Buy an adapter for the moment being.

Mairu

The big carriers don't care at all about consumers. Neither Verizon nor AT&T are competing with each other in terms of service or pricing. They're content with squeezing as much out of us as possible. I'm sticking with my grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T as long as it's cheaper than the alternatives :/

5 gig is doable, but the price for 5 gig on ATT/Verizon is well over 100 dollars a month. That makes it a damn joke.

Husker86

5 gig is doable, but the price for 5 gig on ATT/Verizon is well over 100 dollars a month. That makes it a damn joke.

Agreed. For some reason, maybe because I was coming from unlimited, they let me go to their previous tiered plans so I am sitting at under $100. Either way, I am now paying the same as I was when I had unlimited, which was already a bit steep in my opinion. But there isn't really another option to get the speeds/coverage I get with Verizon.

I get a 16% discount through work, which obviously helps.

I get 20 percent off data at Verizon, and 23 percent off the total bill from ATT, but its still not enough to justify the prices. It's much cheaper for me to just have a data plan on a tablet and use a Go phone for those rare times I actually need to use the voice portion of a cellphone (100 dollars on average a year). I'm looking for reasons to convince myself to get an iPhone 5 or an S3, but I can't.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
On that note, what do you guys use for image uploads directly from your phone?

search the appstore for 'imgupr'.. supports direct uploads to imgur with your camera roll, also gives you the proper links and embed codes right on the device.

Tobor

I get 20 percent off data at Verizon, and 23 percent off the total bill from ATT, but its still not enough to justify the prices. It's much cheaper for me to just have a data plan on a tablet and use a Go phone for those rare times I actually need to use the voice portion of a cellphone (100 dollars on average a year). I'm looking for reasons to convince myself to get an iPhone 5 or an S3, but I can't.

Well, you're paying more for convenience. One device with data and voice combined versus two. If its not worth it to you I certainly understand.

I pay for data on my iPad as well, so now with the shared data plans, at least I get my discount on that as well.

PSGames

Just got my photive bumper case! Thanks to whoever recommended it! The fit and look are awesome! Highly recommended and only $10 on Amazon!

TP7vll.jpg

Mairu

Did you do any scratch tests with the bumper?
I'm joking :p

Not bad looking, but I'll be going naked until Mophie releases a battery case for the 5... then maybe a battery case.

I like the earpods. They are noticeably better than the older earphones. They definitely stay in my ear better. Guess Apple deemed my ears worthy. I always listen to "Billie Jean" when testing out headphones, and the main difference I notice is the improved bass.

Eww, I'd rather live with scratches then put a bumper on it and hide the only attractive part of the phone (the sides and volume buttons).

I say put a case/bumper on it during the first period of owning it. Once the phone seems less "magical" to you, take the case off and enjoy it in it's natural beauty. After a few months of owning it, you won't mind a nick or two.

PSGames

Bumpers are great because they protect the sides from scratches and the screen from falls and still show off the thinness of the device. Plus the phone seems more comfortable to hold with the bumper. At $10 it's a no brainer.

Mr.Fresh

Bumpers are great because they protect the sides from scratches and the screen from falls and still show off the thinness of the device. Plus the phone seems more comfortable to hold with the bumper. At $10 it's a no brainer.

This is why I prefer bumpers to any other case.

Mairu

I like the earpods. They are noticeably better than the older earphones. They definitely stay in my ear better. Guess Apple deemed my ears worthy. I always listen to "Billie Jean" when testing out headphones, and the main difference I notice is the improved bass.

They are noticeably better but they feel like they're always going to fall out for me. The best part about the earpods though are that as soon as everyone switches to the iPhone 5, you won't have to hear their shitty music if you're walking by them or on transit :p. No sound leakage!

So...I've just found out that I get maybe 1/10 calls that people place to my IP5. Some of those calls don't even ring (but I can see them as missed calls), and others don't show up as having made it through to my phone at all. I figured this out because people started leaving me messages on Facebook, or calling my home phone, etc, and telling me that they couldn't get through to me on my cellphone.

My phone is definitely not on vibrate or airplane mode (and hasn't been) and the ringer is on full blast. I'm also in an area with excellent coverage. Did I get a lemon? Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is a trip to the AT&T store for a replacement in order? (do they even have any to give me?)

My wife said she had tried a couple of times to call me when I was visiting my father. He has terrible AT&T coverage in his area, so I blamed it on that. She was still able to message me, though. Hmm.

Top Bottom