• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Can someone please explain to me why the hell sprint sells the 16g iPhone 5 for 649.00 and cricket for 499.00

I have sprint and if I want to upgrade I would have to pay the 649.00. Why the hell would I want to do that when I could go buy the unlocked cricket one and put in an AT&T SIM card.

If you get the cricket phone you would have to pay Sprints etf so that cricket phone will be a bit more.

SuperPac

Can someone please explain to me why the hell sprint sells the 16g iPhone 5 for 649.00 and cricket for 499.00

I have sprint and if I want to upgrade I would have to pay the 649.00. Why the hell would I want to do that when I could go buy the unlocked cricket one and put in an AT&T SIM card.

Looks like no-contract pricing or short-term contract pricing. Are you in the middle of a contract with Sprint? If so, that'd be why.

You'd have to have an AT&T nanosim and depending on which model cricket is selling LTE might not work on other networks.

8RJB8.png

UtekU.png

Wait... what? Cricket is selling unlocked iPhone 5s for $499? I'm looking at their site now... don't see any mention of iPhone 5... let alone a unlocked iPhone 5 for $499.

FinKL

Am I reading it wrong?

It says Sprint:
Regular Price $650 (This is the correct unlocked price of iPhone5
Your Price $199 (With 2yr contract)

That's what you would pay. So you pay $500 for Cricket with lower monthly bills or $199 with Sprint and higher monthly bills basically

this_guy

Isn't $649 the same price you pay at an Apple store?

why the frak can't anyone make a slim iphone case that has a tiny 1mm lip around the front edge, i just want a lil bit of lay on the table. cmon anything, anything at all. the incase sliders come really close but just a lil too bulky for my taste.

Ashhong

Only one I've seen.

I don't mind the "cons" to be honest. I'm mostly using it to avoid scratches since I'm giving the phone to my brother once the 5S comes out.

Damn, that volume con is a dealbreaker for me. I take my phone to the gym to listen to music and it would be a huge pain if the buttons kept pressing accidentally.

It would be much appreciated if you or anyone else getting this case could report back with a review on this. I don't mind that I can't put it face down too much, that's what the screen protector will be for. Plus the only reason I put a phone face down is if the speaker is on the back, which it isnt here.

Okay, so I don't know if there is a different thread to discuss iOS6, but something is bothering me.

So I decided an iPhone 5 was a little over my budget so I upgraded from a 3GS (Which was a replacement of my 4, which died) to a 4s. Updated it and all, and love to have a retina screen again and be able to browse the Internet without it crashing. But here's the thing, I also like to listen to music on my phone. Have been ever since the first iPhone and I always had around the same level of volume (with the volume thingy a little lower the midwaypoint when in a crowded location, loud enough to hear the music, soft enough to hear what's going on around me).

But ever since I updated to iOS6, it seems like I have to turn up the volume way more to actually hear the music. Does anybody else have this? I thought it might be my earpods, but I tried it with another newer set and they were the same. Then I thought it might be the phone, so I grabbed my 3GS (which is also running iOS6) and compared the sound and it was the same. Then I grabbed my first generation iPhone which runs an older firmware and with 'one click' of volume, it was a lot louder than 'one click' on both my 4s and my 3GS.

Don't think my hearing is decreasing or anything, since I can clearly hear people talk around me whilst listening music on my old volume level over the music.

So am I crazy? Going deaf? Getting worked up over something completely irrelevant? All of the above? I don't know. Help me GAF.

Tl:dr Do you have the feeling you have to turn the music on a higher volume since iOS6?

Kibbles

Welp so USPS left a message saying despite the tracking saying it was delivered, it was not delivered and she talked to the mail carrier who doesn't recall delivering a package. Then that was it, she just hung up. I'm going to try calling back tomorrow but so uh, wtf? Will they pay for it or are they just trying to say I'm SOL because they lost my over $600 package?

It seems that way for earphone use yes, I was watching youtube on my ipod the other night and had the volume nearly all the way up, which would have been about 1/3 before iOS 6.

I think it used to go too loud anyway and hurt my ears, might be something apple has been in trouble with? thus making the top volume less, dunno.

blackflag

I've been waiting for security at work to approve the iPhone 5 so I can upgrade to it through work and replace my iPhone 4. I need a new phone badly because at&t doesn't get service in my office or my home.....this is in freaking Phoenix btw.

So glad when it finally gets approved and I can switch to Verizon.

Ashhong

Okay, so I don't know if there is a different thread to discuss iOS6, but something is bothering me.

So I decided an iPhone 5 was a little over my budget so I upgraded from a 3GS (Which was a replacement of my 4, which died) to a 4s. Updated it and all, and love to have a retina screen again and be able to browse the Internet without it crashing. But here's the thing, I also like to listen to music on my phone. Have been ever since the first iPhone and I always had around the same level of volume (with the volume thingy a little lower the midwaypoint when in a crowded location, loud enough to hear the music, soft enough to hear what's going on around me).

But ever since I updated to iOS6, it seems like I have to turn up the volume way more to actually hear the music. Does anybody else have this? I thought it might be my earpods, but I tried it with another newer set and they were the same. Then I thought it might be the phone, so I grabbed my 3GS (which is also running iOS6) and compared the sound and it was the same. Then I grabbed my first generation iPhone which runs an older firmware and with 'one click' of volume, it was a lot louder than 'one click' on both my 4s and my 3GS.

Don't think my hearing is decreasing or anything, since I can clearly hear people talk around me whilst listening music on my old volume level over the music.

So am I crazy? Going deaf? Getting worked up over something completely irrelevant? All of the above? I don't know. Help me GAF.

Tl:dr Do you have the feeling you have to turn the music on a higher volume since iOS6?

I don't have iOS6 but this sounds like the thing Apple would do. I would check the volume settings for some kind of "Safety" setting. I've seen it on other applications and phones where they prevent big incremental changes to protect our hearing.

PSGames

Clear cases look so cheap and get a nasty dingy look after a while. I still think my Photive case looks the best.

Ashhong

Well they also have a translucent black, but the clear is supposed to have some kind of UV protection to prevent yellowing. Who knows..

gamma

Have you checked Settings -> Music -> Volume Limit?

I've been using this iPhone 5 wallpaper, but could not find a matching lock screen. I've been working on one, but it looks too plain. What could be done to spruce it up? I suck at all of this stuff, so if somebody would like to fiddle with it themselves and show what they can come up with, that would be great.

iphone_5_blueprint_wallpaper_640x1136_by_mrdude42-d5fw01o.png

DKqWD.png

Kaladin

So what all third party apps are integrated to work with Siri beyond just launching them now? All I have found is Open Table.

sikkinixx

Scuffgate on my white 16GB.

7 marks total. Hard as hell to see unless it's in the right light. Couldn't care less about it though really. More troubling is how shitty my reception is at home now. Basically 1 bar at all times while my iPhone 4 got about 3 or 4 most times. Wifi is SUPER fast sometimes, really slow other times. Might wipe and re-do things to see if it helps.

bionic77

The battery is great on my 5 if I turn off LTE. Looks to be as good as the 4.

Phone is amazingly fast too. So glad I upgraded from my 4S (which was not a great upgrade).

Scuffgate on my white 16GB.

7 marks total. Hard as hell to see unless it's in the right light. Couldn't care less about it though really. More troubling is how shitty my reception is at home now. Basically 1 bar at all times while my iPhone 4 got about 3 or 4 most times. Wifi is SUPER fast sometimes, really slow other times. Might wipe and re-do things to see if it helps.

my wifi is much faster now but I'm still having iOS 6 issues with connecting into secure wifi networks that require a sign in (like starbucks)

my wifi is much faster now but I'm still having iOS 6 issues with connecting into secure wifi networks that require a sign in (like starbucks)
I keep mentioning this. I still can't login to my home network. There is a story on CNET about the issue. There are two threads on the Apple community, totaling 250 pages. The issue seems to be WPA2/AES related. No one is sure if its hardware or software.

There is another wifi issue though.

It really seems like a huge mistake and indicative of poor testing.

I keep mentioning this. I still can't login to my home network. There is a story on CNET about the issue. There are two threads on the Apple community, totaling 250 pages. The issue seems to be WPA2/AES related. No one is sure if its hardware or software.

There is another wifi issue though.

It really seems like a huge mistake and indicative of poor testing.

I'm 100% certain it's a software problem. My iPad 3 never had this wifi issue until I upgraded to iOS 6, and what a shocker my iOS 6 iPhone 5 also has it.

It's an incredibly annoying bug that apple needs to fix ASAP

I'm 100% certain it's a software problem. My iPad 3 never had this wifi issue until I upgraded to iOS 6, and what a shocker my iOS 6 iPhone 5 also has it.

It's an incredibly annoying bug that apple needs to fix ASAP
Yeah, good luck with that. My iPad 3rd Gen and iPhone 4S both have iOS 6 on them and have no issue connecting to my wifi network.

With scoff gate, wifi issues, crummy maps, etc, these seem like minor issues to Apple and not high priority tickets to get resolved and rolled out in a update.

In the mean time, I heard our boss brag about his new SGS3 and how it doesn't have leakage issues. I was like whatever.

Anyone have their phone's touchscreen stop responding when you're on LTE? It's like my phone gets overloaded by the high data stream and stops responding temporarily.

It doesn't happen often but I'm a little worried about.

Aske

My Lunatik Taktik case arrived today. I'm on a 4S, but figured since we're talking iPhone cases and it'll soon be abailable for the 5, this was the best place to post about it.

I know there's not much love for chunky cases on GAF, but I don't mind the bulk at all. I'm coming from a slipcase, no screen protector, and enjoying the extra grip. Case feels superb in the hand. The back feels a bit like soft-touch rubber. Easy to hold on to, but smooth enough to slide in and out of a pocket.

Build quality is outstanding, especially the port covers. The water-resistant speaker ports don't noticably impede the sound output or the mic. The gun-safety style silence switch is godly.

However, I'm so-so on the gorilla glass screen protector. Definitely loses some sensitivity, and while it's not enough to massively impede use of the touchscreen, it's not like a naked iPhone either. I'll probably email Lunatik and see if I can get a glass-free front piece. I bougt the case for dust/splash resistance and shock protection; so I don't hate the idea of leaving the screen exposed, especially since it's so deely recessed in the case. That said, I might get used to the glass, and I am enjoying the anti-glare treatment. Had no issue typing up this post on it for example.

Overall, very satsfied with the case. I'd have been happy with something a little less extreme, but the Taktik offers the level of protection I wanted with a build quality and tactile appeal I haven't found anywhere else.

Top Bottom