• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I'm having a very hard time deciding between white and black. I've got a white one reserved at the Apple store tomorrow, but I'm still tempted to change my mind.

On the one hand I think the black looks a tad better, but I think the white will hold up better over time, and it might be cool to have a change.

Homeboyd

I'm having a very hard time deciding between white and black. I've got a white one reserved at the Apple store tomorrow, but I'm still tempted to change my mind.

On the one hand I think the black looks a tad better, but I think the white will hold up better over time, and it might be cool to have a change.
I always went black and decided not to go back. Very happy with my decision.

I'd give the logo a white outline and maybe put the grid lines back on the inside of the logo.

Here's the best I can do.

c7amf.png

Ashhong

That looks pretty cool. Wish the outline was either a tad cleaner, or messier so it's intentional, like someone pencil sketched it in. But that looks good too, will use, thanks :D

Appleman

That's a damn shame.

Really? Apple's shipped products with glossy metal that was WAY more prone to scratching and scuffing than the iPhone 5 for over a decade now and it's never been this big a deal (except for maybe the 2G nano thing, and even that was way worse)

Ashhong

I touched it up pixel by pixel on the edge.

http://i.imgur.com/G1VGW.png

Cool looks good!

Really? Apple's shipped products with glossy metal that was WAY more prone to scratching and scuffing than the iPhone 5 for over a decade now and it's never been this big a deal (except for maybe the 2G nano thing, and even that was way worse)

That was the Apple of the past. Present Apple is expected to make pretty quality products. I just hope it's not that bad once I get my hands on it.

Appleman

Cool looks good!

That was the Apple of the past. Present Apple is expected to make pretty quality products. I just hope it's not that bad once I get my hands on it.

I know what you mean, but they still ship two products with the glossy metal today. I do agree that they're trending away from that (thankfully) but the iPhone 5 is a far cry from the damage potential of those models

knitoe

I got my AT&T iPhone 5 unlock for $6.75 from the eBay seller unlock_fusion. Only took about 2 hours. iTunes gave me the "Congratulation, your phone is unlock..." after doing a restore.

Ashhong

I know what you mean, but they still ship two products with the glossy metal today. I do agree that they're trending away from that (thankfully) but the iPhone 5 is a far cry from the damage potential of those models

Which glossy metal products are you talking about?

I got my AT&T iPhone 5 unlock for $6.75 from the eBay seller unlock_fusion. Only took about 2 hours. iTunes gave me the "Congratulation, your phone is unlock..." after doing a restore.

Oh nice the ebay unlocks work on the 5s? Pretty neat, too bad cant use T-mobile 4G.

Awww, we hit 10000 posts and I missed it :<

Anyway, it's been almost two weeks and I'm still enjoying the hell out this phone. It still feels so fast.

LTE in my area is kinda meh and I have access to WiFi both at home and work, so it was never really that big of a deal to me.

I've also had the chance to use the new maps several times and it's worked well for me thus far.

The screen is gorgeous. I don't think anything else needs to be said about it.

I do have two complaints: 1) battery life does seem to be a little bit worse than it was on my 11 months old iPhone 4S and 2) GORRAMIT APPLE FIX THE GORRAM LOCK SCREEN ALBUM ART

Anyway, great phone as always.

Got the Incipio Feather today and really like it. It's thin but sturdy and looks great.

have the same case on my 4S and i love it. too bad the iphone 5 version is the "newer" style which i dont like compared to the older one. have no choice because its my favorite case and everything else ive used isnt that great.

PSGames

Had it since launch day. Carried it through anime weekend and many parties this past weekend taking pictures galore and not a single scuff or scratch.

Pachimari

Have had for 5 days, no scuffs and scratches either.

Is it just me or have many apps and games not been updated for iPhone 5's screen resolution?

Mairu

Have had for 5 days, no scuffs and scratches either.

Is it just me or have many apps and games not been updated for iPhone 5's screen resolution?

I check the App Store almost as much as I'm checking anything else on my phone. I'm hoping stuff starts getting updated faster. I hope Rayman Jungle Run gets updated soon especially since it's showing the non-retina assets on the iPhone 5 :/

subrock

Anyone have their phone's touchscreen stop responding when you're on LTE? It's like my phone gets overloaded by the high data stream and stops responding temporarily.

It doesn't happen often but I'm a little worried about.
That doesn't make sense with a properly architected app. UI always takes priority over communications.

That doesn't make sense with a properly architected app. UI always takes priority over communications.

The problem isn't limited to any specific app...it's a system wide problem that only seems to occur during LTE coverage. The screen becomes unresponsive, usually at random and eventually fully until I lock and unlock the phone again.

Have you checked Settings -> Music -> Volume Limit?

I'm nowhere close to the volume limit so that wasn't it.

I don't have iOS6 but this sounds like the thing Apple would do. I would check the volume settings for some kind of "Safety" setting. I've seen it on other applications and phones where they prevent big incremental changes to protect our hearing.

The only setting which was on, which I haven't seen before is the 'sound check' option, I turned it off now, that might have been it. I'll find out when I'm in the train again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

noah111

Still Alive
a huge black area with nothing below the artwork. no reflection, no use of the extra screen space, hell, it's not even centered.
Can you (or someone) post a pic of this?

iOS is such a piece of shit when it comes to scaling for new screen sizes. This is exactly like the iPad route, "let's just scale this and add no more functionality whatsoever, and leave that to the apps".

Fuckin' Forestall, man.

iOS is such a piece of shit when it comes to scaling for new screen sizes. This is exactly like the iPad route, "let's just scale this and add no more functionality whatsoever, and leave that to the apps".

Fuckin' Forestall, man.

If no one has posted it in 4 weeks, I will do it ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Fuckin' Forestall, man.
The gap isn't below the artwork, it's above it.

Reflection is still there.

If they had 'centered' it, it would've looked much worse.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
is not the gap for playback controls while in locked mode?

they probably did not want to confuse their users as normal

Extended controls overlap the artwork by a bit.

To facilitate perfect framing of the artwork on iPhone 5s would've required them to redesign the lockscreen as a whole, which I suppose would've been great. But wasn't part of the plan of iOS6 obviously, which to me makes sense since the 5 isn't the majority mobile device on the OS yet.

Top Bottom