• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Dragnet

Little question. If yo guys gently hold your iPhone 5, then gently tap the back on the right (same side as the lock button) starting from the bottom going up to the top, do you hear a slight rattle as you get closer to the lock button? My lock button sounds a little too loose for my liking..

Jonogunn

391657_10151253107960734_512432358_n.jpg

good girl

Appleman

Little question. If yo guys gently hold your iPhone 5, then gently tap the back on the right (same side as the lock button) starting from the bottom going up to the top, do you hear a slight rattle as you get closer to the lock button? My lock button sounds a little too loose for my liking..

Pretty sure it's the camera hardware and it's a normal thing since the iPhone 4 (3GS maybe?), correct me if I'm wrong....

Really? Apple's shipped products with glossy metal that was WAY more prone to scratching and scuffing than the iPhone 5 for over a decade now and it's never been this big a deal (except for maybe the 2G nano thing, and even that was way worse)

Opening up a product and seeing scratches out of the box is normal now?

noah111

Still Alive
Extended controls overlap the artwork by a bit.

To facilitate perfect framing of the artwork on iPhone 5s would've required them to redesign the lockscreen as a whole, which I suppose would've been great. But wasn't part of the plan of iOS6 obviously, which to me makes sense since the 5 isn't the majority mobile device on the OS yet.
Thanks for the pic.

But it is really simple, they don't need that gap. It could be easily and simply filled by putting the artist and album info alongside the song title by default, rather than accessing it through the extended controls. It would fit just fine in that gap. Then double click to get the playback buttons and volume, which overlap a bit, but that's nothing new.

But yeah, the lockscreen, specifically the extended access screen, needs a redesign anyway. I absolutely hate how the new music app has one look, the switcher controls have another, and the lockscreen yet another. :lol

Thanks for the pic.

But it is really simple, they don't need that gap. It could be easily and simply filled by putting the artist and album info alongside the song title by default, rather than accessing it through the extended controls. It would fit just fine in that gap. Then double click to get the playback buttons and volume, which overlap a bit, but that's nothing new.

But yeah, the lockscreen, specifically the extended access screen, needs a redesign anyway. I absolutely hate how the new music app has one look, the switcher controls have another, and the lockscreen yet another. :lol

They just need to zoom in on the artwork with a little cut-off left and right if they're too lazy to do anything else.

-Winnie-

My battery life was kinda fucked after I changed my sim card, I was losing about 30% in 2 hours. After a reset of all setting, it all seems to be dandy now!

I'm loving this phone so much and it's great not having to carry around a phone and an iPod all the time.

noah111

Still Alive
They just need to zoom in on the artwork with a little cut-off left and right if they're too lazy to do anything else.
Are they even allowed to do that? I would like to assume Apple is too loyal to the music producers to be able to botch album artwork by cutting off the sides. That cropping trick works fine for when you're taking photos, but specific artwork could look really bad if it isn't 1:1. Plus, have they ever sported cut offs or impediment on focal album art before in any of their UI?

But yeah, that sure would be the easier route to take...

Are they even allowed to do that? I would like to assume Apple is too loyal to the music producers to be able to botch album artwork by cutting off the sides. That cropping trick works fine for when you're taking photos, but specific artwork could look really bad if it isn't 1:1. Plus, have they ever sported cut offs or impediment on focal album art before in any of their UI?

But yeah, that sure would be the easier route to take...

Android cuts off the top so I am sure it's allowed. It's not elegant, nor will it look very good most of the time, but something's got to give, and right now it feels unfinished and a bit embarassing. Like they didn't even try.

... which is all too fitting these days.

noah111

Still Alive
Android cuts off the top so I am sure it's allowed. It's not elegant, nor will it look very good most of the time, but something's got to give, and right now it feels unfinished and a bit embarassing. Like they didn't even try.

... which is all too fitting these days.
Too true. :| What i'd pay to see Ive beat the shit out of Forrestal whilst lecturing him about design philosophies.

LMAO. still waiting for iTunes LP support on iOS
Ok ok, don't bite my balls off. :lol

Tobor

Too true. :| What i'd pay to see Ive beat the shit out of Forrestal whilst lecturing him about design philosophies.

Ok ok, don't bite my balls off. :lol

There are times when I'm literally embarrassed to be anonymously associated with you guys.

daw840

Anyone know of a good, safe, and secure app to store passwords for different websites on? I have to find some way to do this.

noah111

Still Alive
There are times when I'm literally embarrassed to be anonymously associated with you guys.
I cringed when I read that line as well. :/
Hahaha. It's just that Apple is all about design, and and as far as that goes Forrestal is like the anti-Ive of Apple. Dat leather jacket ui, etc. It's still one of the bet UX's but he's doing so very little to advance.

Really interested to see what comes of iOS 7, that'll be the test of sorts.

It shows they cared. They cared enough to (mis)handle your device personally. It's love.

So basically, yeah, don't try to comprehend the thought processes of dedicated fans.

No but i think even apple said that the scratches or paint coming off was "normal" type thing. Its like...

No but i think even apple said that the scratches or paint coming off was "normal" type thing. Its like...

I like my Apple products, but I hardly ever take anything they say seriously. The antenna issue was MY fault, not their shitty design. The horrendous discoloration on iMac screens is "normal". I buy the products, deal with the flaws, and attempt to tune out the bullshit.

Tobor

Hahaha. It's just that Apple is all about design, and and as far as that goes Forrestal is like the anti-Ive of Apple. Dat leather jacket ui, etc. It's still one of the bet UX's but he's doing so very little to advance.

Really interested to see what comes of iOS 7, that'll be the test of sorts.

The Skeuomorphism was initiated by Jobs. The iCal leather stitching is based on the armrests in Jobs jet. Lol.

Eventually Apple will move on from it, just like everything else. Remember Aqua?

I like my Apple products, but I hardly ever take anything they say seriously. The antenna issue was MY fault, not their shitty design. The horrendous discoloration on iMac screens is "normal". I buy the products, deal with the flaws, and attempt to tune out the bullshit.

Ya me too. But man, to even say such things just make it seem like they take everyone for an idiot, which is why a lot of my friends hate them.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The gap at the top accommodates the music controls and song info. Also the album art is in the exact location it is in when playing music in the music app. It definitely looks weird in isolation, but If you transition from the lock screen straight to the app it makes more sense.

noah111

Still Alive
The Skeuomorphism was initiated by Jobs. The iCal leather stitching is based on the armrests in Jobs jet. Lol.

Eventually Apple will move on from it, just like everything else. Remember Aqua?
I was just joking about the skeuomorphism jab. I actually like it for the most part. Hell, I even sort of admire the new podcast app (don't murder me).

What's wrong with iOS isn't it's skeuomorphism. There are a million other issues that are ahead of the list on why the team behind Forrestal are lacking and failing iOS. They need to take a cue from OS X innovations a bit. Worst part is how iOS is supposed to be a platform for all these different screen sizes, but in reality it's just a game of stretch and pull with the apps doing the work of custom tailoring UI for the unique dimensions. iOS needs to do that, and should be doing it. Instead the whole thing is hindered due to trying to stick to invisible roots that don't even matter to the actual UX across different devices.

Take slide to unlock for example, on iPad. That's just embarrassing. Is that really the most elegant, simple, user friendly solution? Hell no, it doesn't even make ergonomic sense with the iPad. But why is it there, then? Well simply to fall in like with the original iOS I suppose.

Lame stuff like that is why irks me about iOS (and why I blame Forrestal), not bits and pieces of skeuomorphism.

Tobor

I was just joking about the skeuomorphism jab. I actually like it for the most part. Hell, I even sort of admire the new podcast app (don't murder me).

What's wrong with iOS isn't it's skeuomorphism. There are a million other issues that are ahead of the list on why the team behind Forrestal are lacking and failing iOS. They need to take a cue from OS X innovations a bit. Worst part is how iOS is supposed to be a platform for all these different screen sizes, but in reality it's just a game of stretch and pull with the apps doing the work of custom tailoring UI for the unique dimensions. iOS needs to do that, and should be doing it. Instead the whole thing is hindered due to trying to stick to invisible roots that don't even matter to the actual UX across different devices.

Take slide to unlock for example, on iPad. That's just embarrassing. Is that really the most elegant, simple, user friendly solution? Hell no, it doesn't even make ergonomic sense with the iPad. But why is it there, then? Well simply to fall in like with the original iOS I suppose.

Lame stuff like that is why irks me about iOS (and why I blame Forrestal), not bits and pieces of skeuomorphism.

First off, it's Forstall. He's been around since Next.

Second, while I'm sure you have a million nits to pick, your choice of the lock screen is a poor one. Yes, they have stuck with slide to lock. Is it embarrassing? No, it's comfortable to people, and any change shouldn't be made lightly. The changes they have made, like additional slide to unlock notifications, and the camera slide, are thoughtful and useful.

You also know why the iPad uses the same action. It's all about familiarity as users transition from one iOS device to the other. Also not embarrassing.

I don't think the slide to lock is going anywhere in the future either. I think it will be supplemented by fingerprint tech, but it won't be removed, nor should it. (The Smart Cover being the exception, of course.)

noah111

Still Alive
First off, it's Forstall. He's been around since Next.

Second, while I'm sure you have a million nits to pick, your choice of the lock screen is a poor one. Yes, they have stuck with slide to lock. Is it embarrassing? No, it's comfortable to people, and any change shouldn't be made lightly. The changes they have made, like additional slide to unlock notifications, and the camera slide, are thoughtful and useful.

You also know why the iPad uses the same action. It's all about familiarity as users transition from one iOS device to the other. Also not embarrassing.

I don't think the slide to lock is going anywhere in the future either. I think it will be supplemented by fingerprint tech, but it won't be removed, nor should it.
Forstall, Forstall. Got it. :lol
knew I should've googled the spelling

And I never said get rid of the slide to unlock feature altogether, just that their implementation of it on the iPad is (imo) embarrassingly lazy. It's as if it doesn't even take into account the device being used. Familiarity is one thing, but having it be a carbon copy is another. I also love the slide to reply/view notifications, one of (only?) the best mechanisms about notifications on iOS, so I wasn't saying get rid of that either.

My point all-in-all is that iOS on the iPhone 5 is now suffering similar issues as it did with the iPad. Lack of rethinking the core functions of the OS, no adaptability to the device your using. That's what I meant by 'embarrassing'.

Also the album art is in the exact location it is in when playing music in the music app.

3qPzJ.jpg
It's actually two pixels higher on the lock screen, but sure. Simple solution (i.e. what it should've been);

bionic77

I wonder how long it will be until Monoprice and other companies are carrying cheap thunderbolt cables?

For $19 I want to get at least 2 cables to charge in the car.

LTE is out on Rogers and fido at the moment.

Ah kk thanks for the info. I wasted about 20 mins on the phone with them, freaking out because they were then telling me my specific plan couldn't have LTE!
I eventually got disconnected and 5 mins later my LTE worked

Top Bottom