• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

People are complaining about positioning of the album art on the lock screen? What's next, complaining about the position of the 1 on the Calender icon? Oh wait...
Ugh, please provide a warning when linking Gizmodo. I hate giving them clicks.

Hard to believe someone actually spent even an hour or so writing up that whole thing. What a colossal waste of time.

You can track your data usage in the phone's menus.

Ya, they said that they were on wifi 80% of the time and still busted their monthly cap which never happened before with the 4 or 4s, so they started checking and noticed that wifi wasnt working properly. It was mostly Verison customers i think.

knitoe

Any cheap third party lightning cables for iphone 5?

Not yet. Apple uses a special chip that can reverse polarity thus allowing you to insert the cable anyway. Third parties haven't figure out that chip. The ones you buy now will burn out your iPhone connector port if you try.

snack

Not yet. Apple uses a special chip that can reverse polarity thus allowing you to insert the cable anyway. Third parties haven't figure out that chip. The ones you buy now will burn out your iPhone connector port if you try.
Oh shit. Didn't know that.

Spy

Ordered my iPhone 5 through Verizon a few weeks ago and today I saw my bank account had been charged so I was all excited. I check my order status right now and my ship date changed from Oct 5th to Oct 26th. Also, the charge has been reversed. Frustrating.

-griffy-

Banned
If you don't care about this kind of detail there are other phones in the market better suited to your priorities.

Thanks for letting me know what my priorities are and that I'm not welcome to own an iPhone. Guess I'll return my 5 now. Or maybe I'll continue to not care that the album artwork is positioned where it is because it makes sense for reasons already discussed in this thread.

There are frankly other things I'd like to see fixed and discussed than a non-issue like album artwork positioning.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The way album art is displayed on the lock screen is embarrassing. Whoever decided that it was ok like that needs to -- seriously reconsider their decision.

Thanks for letting me know what my priorities are and that I'm not welcome to own an iPhone. Guess I'll return my 5 now. Or maybe I'll continue to not care that the album artwork is positioned where it is because it makes sense for reasons already discussed in this thread.

There are frankly other things I'd like to see fixed and discussed than a non-issue like album artwork positioning.

I'm just fucking with you man, but if you have followed Apple, you know their attention to detail was something people admired them for, and this is just another sign showing that they're slipping.
It's more of a meta discussion than about what we are actually discussing -- at least for me.

(another good example would be it basically killing you if you followed the directions on the Maps app icon ;))

The way album art is displayed on the lock screen is embarrassing. Whoever decided that it was ok like that needs -- to seriously reconsider their decision.
Yup. It's not that big of a deal and definitely not a deal-breaker, but it looks tacky as hell.

lexi

Banned

This may be the first time I've seen 'reverse polarity' used in an actual, serious context.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've seen lots of these cables being sold on ebay.
Where do you see that they're burning out ports? I'd have expected a lot more noise about it.

I just tried the lock screen album art thing and I have to admit it bugs me now! Hopefully they'll fix it, seems like a silly design oversight for Apple.

Appleman

Definitely see why they chose the lock screen album art to be like that, but it does look bad. I'm trying to think of a better way to do it, I agree that more song information without popping up the controls would be a little more useful

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
People are complaining about positioning of the album art on the lock screen? What's next, complaining about the position of the 1 on the Calender icon? Oh wait...

B-b-b-but the way it is now the number 1 is actually centred, the weight of the digit just fools the eye into thinking its not, what the hell.

Tobor

I definitely would not buy a third party lightning cable or adapter right now. Not until the chip is reverse engineered.

The chip inside the cable is used to dynamically assign the pins based on orientation. That's not something you want to mess around with.

Awww, we hit 10000 posts and I missed it :<

Anyway, it's been almost two weeks and I'm still enjoying the hell out this phone. It still feels so fast.

LTE in my area is kinda meh and I have access to WiFi both at home and work, so it was never really that big of a deal to me.

I've also had the chance to use the new maps several times and it's worked well for me thus far.

The screen is gorgeous. I don't think anything else needs to be said about it.

I do have two complaints: 1) battery life does seem to be a little bit worse than it was on my 11 months old iPhone 4S and 2) GORRAMIT APPLE FIX THE GORRAM LOCK SCREEN ALBUM ART

Anyway, great phone as always.
What's wrong with the lock screen album art

Android cuts off the top so I am sure it's allowed. It's not elegant, nor will it look very good most of the time, but something's got to give, and right now it feels unfinished and a bit embarassing. Like they didn't even try.

... which is all too fitting these days.
I don't see what's wrong with it at all. Maybe you don't find it appealing, but there's nothing wrong with it. I think you are making too big of a deal about it.

NYR

Gizmodo, wrong again? Not letting facts get in the way of a shit-on-Apple story? Hard to believe. What a fucking joke that site is.

They have embraced their anti-Apple agenda since the iPhone 4 incident. They feed the trolls and they feed them with clicks and ad revenue. Awful site in general, lowest common dominator.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm curious, can an app switch between its 3:2 and 16:9 versions on-the-fly? Not sure how versions works in-app, but i'm surprised at how notification banners still overlap the top menu bar in-app. Really annoying when you're trying to navigate, but a banner drops down instead, covering the buttons. You can just barely manage to a nav button, but it's really easy to accidentally hit the notification banner instead..

What's funny is that the letterboxes for a 960x640 app are perfect for banners, so there is no overlap when running those. I don't get why they couldn't get the menu bar to be dynamic and shift downward when notifications come in. I did the math and it (the menu bar) would only need to slide 40 pixels down. An app can't be dynamic between two versions can it?

Yet another example of how poor iOS is adapted to extra screen real-estate. :p

"Lock screen album art" is the new "Non-retina reboot icon".
Hey man, they eventually fixed that too. ;)

bionic77

lol, have to hand it to Apple. Totally cornered the market on cables, they are going to make a killing on top of the killing they'll make on the iPhone 5.
The phone just came out and the last cable was around for more than 10 years.

Give it some time. 3rd party cables will be available by the end of the year.

Hari Seldon

Going to try and call up apple and have them switch my 16g preorder to a 64g, without resetting my position in the pre-order queue.

Tobor

I'm curious, can an app switch between its 3:2 and 16:9 versions on-the-fly? Not sure how versions works in-app, but i'm surprised at how notification banners still overlap the top menu bar in-app. Really annoying when you're trying to navigate, but a banner drops down instead, covering the buttons. You can just barely manage to a nav button, but it's really easy to accidentally hit the notification banner instead..

What's funny is that the letterboxes for a 960x640 app are perfect for banners, so there is no overlap when running those. I don't get why they couldn't get the menu bar to be dynamic and shift downward when notifications come in. I did the math and it (the menu bar) would only need to slide 40 pixels down. An app can't be dynamic between two versions can it?

Yet another example of how poor iOS is adapted to extra screen real-estate. :p

I don't want the menu bar moving around. The banner is temporary for a reason. File this idea in the junk drawer with the circular sliders.

Hey man, they eventually fixed that too. ;)

And the world will continue to turn. :)

knitoe

Going to try and call up apple and have them switch my 16g preorder to a 64g, without resetting my position in the pre-order queue.

Do it. 16GB is way to small, especially if you game and/or take lots of video. I have 64GB white and it's nice not having to juggle space.

Yet another example of how poor iOS is adapted to extra screen real-estate. :p)

In case you didn't know, swiping a notification banner from right to left makes it go away.

Lots of pages to sift through here, so apologies if this has been address already.

What are some of the best cases on the market? Something not too bulky, but still protects pretty well.

Is it worth getting a screen protector as well? Screen is intended to be scratch proof as far as I know.

Lots of pages to sift through here, so apologies if this has been address already.

What are some of the best cases on the market? Something not too bulky, but still protects pretty well.

Is it worth getting a screen protector as well? Screen is intended to be scratch proof as far as I know.

I got a CaseCrown Slider, it's thin/lightweight but provides full protection. I've never used a screen protector in the past, never had issues with scratching.

VPhys

I wonder how long it will be until Monoprice and other companies are carrying cheap thunderbolt cables?

For $19 I want to get at least 2 cables to charge in the car.

You mean lightning? Also there was a rumor that Apple put a chip inside the lighting cable so it cannot be replicated, any truth to this...

Appleman

In case you didn't know, swiping a notification banner from right to left makes it go away.

Exactly, and also moving the nav buttons down would still make you hit the wrong target if you were already about to tap it. The iPhone 5 has actually helped me with that because I find myself hitting the lower part of the nav buttons more frequently due to the longer distance. Apple should just have a slight delay before the touch target switches from the bar to the notification (if they don't already, I don't really have this problem so I'm not certain). Swipe to dismiss is crucial though and not immediately obvious

Kaladin

siri_startrek.jpg

Top Bottom