• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Hoo-doo

Banned
I finally saw an iPhone 5 in the wild today, it looked like sex.

Made me feel bad for having to wait another 3 weeks for mine.

Kaladin

^^

lol Siri needs more of this. More personality i guess.

^ First i hear of that.

There are more:

siri_bladerunner.jpg

There is a list on The Verge.

dorkimoe

had my phone since launch, just noticed dead pixels today. Nothing huge but enough to make me go crazy.

Im going to have to send it in :( (dont have apple store near) problem is..now that they do the new mini mini sims i dont have any spare phone that takes that...

They are telling me to do a restore from itunes to see if that fixes it. has that every worked ever? A software fix to fix dead pixels? That just seems kinda ridiculous to think that it would work

Husker86

had my phone since launch, just noticed dead pixels today. Nothing huge but enough to make me go crazy.

Im going to have to send it in :( (dont have apple store near) problem is..now that they do the new mini mini sims i dont have any spare phone that takes that...

They are telling me to do a restore from itunes to see if that fixes it. has that every worked ever? A software fix to fix dead pixels? That just seems kinda ridiculous to think that it would work
I ordered a SIM adapter kit from Amazon in case I need to use my micro-SIMed phone ever. I'd do that before you send it in.

dorkimoe

I ordered a SIM adapter kit from Amazon in case I need to use my micro-SIMed phone ever. I'd do that before you send it in.

i would assume they would send me something to get it out, or my iphone 4 one will work

edit: oh yeah one of those.. hmmm. Ill look into that...

I kind of just want to pay for applecare to extend the warranty, and then if it gets worse send it in later. I got a screen protector on the front and back PERFECTLY and dont really want to order more and go through it again

The only setting which was on, which I haven't seen before is the 'sound check' option, I turned it off now, that might have been it. I'll find out when I'm in the train again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So for all the people interested (probably nobody), I found out that the 'sound check option didn't change jack.

So it looks like I just have to turn it up a bit more, since it might be some software move by Apple to counter the new earpods being more sensitive or something, I don't know.

Still think it's weird.

I hate to repeat the commercial but, what exactly is all digital? And what is the benefit?

You download the electricity! You can even download some on your laptop and email it to your phone to charge it or download it to your iCloud and just stream it to your phone.

I think.

flake

So far the iPhone 5 has been disappointing to me. The wifi is rubbish (icon says its connected, yet web pages hardly load) and the battery life has also been terrible. I left the house yesterday with 98% charge, about 12 hours later it was down to 4%, and I only used the phone for messaging during that time frame.

At least it looks nice!

-griffy-

Banned
I hate to repeat the commercial but, what exactly is all digital? And what is the benefit?
I believe in the old 30 pin cable the audio traveled analog while data transfer was digital. In the new cable it's all digital, so theoretically cleaner audio as it's not being converted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also tests have shown the lightning cable transfers data faster somehow even though it's still USB 2.0. It may be due to the iPhone 5 itself being faster and not the cable itself, who knows.

Tobor

Going all digital helped to shrink the plug. The 30 pin connecter has pins dedicated for legacy analog audio out, those aren't needed anymore.

I believe in the old 30 pin cable the audio traveled analog while data transfer was digital. In the new cable it's all digital, so theoretically cleaner audio as its not being converted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that's right. The new adapter streams PCM digital audio, it should be much better than before.

Husker86

So far the iPhone 5 has been disappointing to me. The wifi is rubbish (icon says its connected, yet web pages hardly load) and the battery life has also been terrible. I left the house yesterday with 98% charge, about 12 hours later it was down to 4%, and I only used the phone for messaging during that time frame.

At least it looks nice!

Something is going wrong then. My WiFi works great, and I go to work with 100%, listen to podcasts/pandora most of the day and leave with 75% or so. To be fair, my screen isn't on the whole time, but that battery life is worse than my Galaxy Nexus which is easily two-three times worse than my iPhone 5.

LCfiner

I believe in the old 30 pin cable the audio traveled analog while data transfer was digital. In the new cable it's all digital, so theoretically cleaner audio as its not being converted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also tests have shown the lightning cable transfers data faster somehow even though it's still USB 2.0. It may be due to the iPhone 5 itself being faster and not the cable itself, who knows.

Depending on how many hoops Apple wants hardware makers to go through, the new digital out could make external DACs (like those seen in the Fostex HP-P1 or HRT istreamer) more common and possibly (hopefully) cheaper. it could make the kind of higher end audio docks that have built in, high end DACs like the peachtree idecco more common.

However, i think part of the reason Apple put the headphone out at the bottom, next to the lightning connector, is to provide a cheaper alternative for analog out from a docked phone.

that way car docks and any potentially cheap alarm radios can use the inferior - but still acceptable - amped analog output from the headphone jack instead of being forced to implement an internal DAC to get analog audio out from the bottom of the phone (which partly explains why Apple's lightning to 30 pin adapter is as large and pricey as it is - it has a built in DAC to get analog audio to legacy docks)

Still within two weeks of purchase, probably going to return my iPhone 5. I really do like it, I just don't actually use the cell phone or cell data feature enough to justify the price.

I've already got a free cell phone anyway, and am always around Wi-Fi so I can use another mobile non-cellular data device for internetz.

dorkimoe

Ok so they do express repair now, where they send you a phone first, then you send yours back, but its going to put an 800$ hold on my CC.. lol ffuuu

Going all digital helped to shrink the plug. The 30 pin connecter has pins dedicated for legacy analog audio out, those aren't needed anymore.

I think that's right. The new adapter streams PCM digital audio, it should be much better than before.

I think they also said that the lightning cable will allow for faster transfer rates in the future. It is currently at USB 2.0 (I think) and can support USB 3.0 when that cable is available.
Is this true?

centracore

My iPhone 5 locks up all the time, mainly just doing simple such as opening and closing Messages, swiping through app pages, etc. Once it locks up it doesn't respond to touch or hardware buttons, this can last anywhere from a couple seconds to almost a minute. I have tried restoring it and setting it up as a new device but it's still just as bad. Is iOS 6 this buggy? Or is there any way that this could possibly be hardware related?

I upgraded from iPhone 4S and I am honestly getting worse performance out of the iPhone 5 than I was on the iPhone 4S.

iammeiam

I have tried restoring it and setting it up as a new device but it's still just as bad. Is iOS 6 this buggy? Or is there any way that this could possibly be hardware related?

I upgraded from iPhone 4S and I am honestly getting worse performance out of the iPhone 5 than I was on the iPhone 4S.

That's definitely not normal--is it something that's reproducable? I'd suggest taking it to an Apple store and showing them that it does it; they'll want to do a full reset in-store, you'll have to show it doing it again. But iOS6 on an iPhone 5 shouldn't go completely non-responsive frequently.

centracore

That's definitely not normal--is it something that's reproducable? I'd suggest taking it to an Apple store and showing them that it does it; they'll want to do a full reset in-store, you'll have to show it doing it again. But iOS6 on an iPhone 5 shouldn't go completely non-responsive frequently.

It is reproducible but there aren't any Apple stores close by, the nearest one is 6 hours away.

sikkinixx

I'm actually not sure how I feel about this phone.

The lightness is very nice, and the sides feel really nice. I like the texture. The home button feels so much better as well. The vibrate feels a lot nicer than the 4 but maybe that is because it's new where as the 4 has two years of usage.

I do not like the aluminum back though, my hands are... well sweaty and it leaves gross ass looking sweaty marks all over it that I never noticed with my iPhone 4. Plus the thing gets scuffed pretty easily (not to mention the numerous ones out the factory).

I'm not actually huge on the bigger screen. It feels kind of awkward and looks off. Maybe I will get used to it but I like the smaller phone size. Plus I do not at all like the colours. I compare it to my fiance's iPhone 4 and the greens especially look almost neon compared to the darker colours on hers. Reds also look a lot lighter as do the yellows. It's like I need to change the calibration settings to something with more oomph.

My signal strength is significantly lower at my house than compared to the 4, as is the wifi. I'm in the same room as my Time Capsule and it's only getting 3 bars? REALLY?

iPhone 5 pick up at the Apple retail stores has been great so far.

Just ordered one for my wife & mother, first try. So easy.

Already have the confirmation e-mails to pick em up tomorrow.

Got my Verizon 64GB today a day early. Expected ship date was Oct 19 but here it is on the 3rd! Good on Verizon. My wife has one so I knew what to expect, but it's soooo snappy compared to the loaner iPhone 4 I was on (since I sold my 4S a couple weeks ago to pay for the 5).

btkadams

can anyone confirm whether or not car stereos that interact with the iphone (let you change skip music tracks with your steering wheel) work with the cable adapter? i don't know what ipod out means.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
can anyone confirm whether or not car stereos that interact with the iphone (let you change skip music tracks with your steering wheel) work with the cable adapter? i don't know what ipod out means.

Ipod out is a very specific implementation that clones the entire interface of the iPod on your stereo monitor.

Your basic controls should work fine with the adapter.

That kind of functionality is not supported from what I understand.

btkadams

Ipod out is a very specific implementation that clones the entire interface of the iPod on your stereo monitor.

ohhh...i don't have a big dash screen that lets you view the ipod library and stuff. all it does is hook into the bottom of my current iphone and let me switch tracks with the steering wheel, and shows the name of the current song on the little screen. so will it just not say the track name anymore? or is it more just that menu thing?

That kind of functionality is not supported from what I understand.
so confusing!

SuperPac

I drive an '09 Honda Civic that has a USB in for AUX. The Lightning cable works the same as the previous 30-pin for me. I can control music from the steering wheel controls and it shows track name and artist info on the audio system including anything from the Music app, Downcast, etc.

Natetan

anywone know a good case for the iphone 5 that can hold a credit card or two? I'd like it to be black, and I don't want it to have some ugly logo on it. The primary reason I want a full back case is the wallet fuctionality and also to cover up the apple logo. I think the shape of the phone should be enough of a walking advertisment for the product, i dont want the apple logo.

btkadams

I drive an '09 Honda Civic that has a USB in for AUX. The Lightning cable works the same as the previous 30-pin for me. I can control music from the steering wheel controls and it shows track name and artist info on the audio system including anything from the Music app, Downcast, etc.

awesome. if that's the case, mine may actually work. i left a message on the facebook page of the manufacturer of mine just to be sure, since they seem to be active.

It's still not clear to what extent cars are afffected with this. Nobody has been able to confirm it yet.

ReconPeon

Something is going wrong then. My WiFi works great, and I go to work with 100%, listen to podcasts/pandora most of the day and leave with 75% or so. To be fair, my screen isn't on the whole time, but that battery life is worse than my Galaxy Nexus which is easily two-three times worse than my iPhone 5.

I agree with you. My Iphone 5 gets better battery life than any phone I have ever had. It lasts for 2 entire days on a single charge. I love it.

Seth C

I agree with you. My Iphone 5 gets better battery life than any phone I have ever had. It lasts for 2 entire days on a single charge. I love it.

It's definitely the best battery I've ever had in an iPhone, but 2 days? Damn. I wish. I'm just thankful I have an iPhone that can survive one day (barely).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My battery is much worst than my 4, unfortunately.

Seth C

My battery is much worst than my 4, unfortunately.
I had two iPhone 4s and if anything had a worse battery than that I'd have barely made it to lunch. Then again I don't have LTE so have it turned off and also don't use Bluetooth.

Top Bottom