• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

matt360

I'm jealous of you guys with the great battery life. Mine is most definitely worse than my 2 year old iPhone 4, but I don't know if it's bad enough to get replaced. I've gotten 7.5 hours of usage once, but 4 hours of that was listening to music. There's no way in hell I'd get the 8 hours of browsing that Apple claims.

anyone on sprint? hows the service, and LTE?

i wanted to get verizon but i cant find any apple store or verizon store thats carrying the iphone 5. i feel super impatient and might just get it on sprint since the one by my house has it available :| not sure if i want to wait 3-4 weeks for verizon/apple to get them in stock again

I slept with my battery charged at 99%.... Woke up 5 hours later and it dropped to 78%!!!!

How the f**k that even possible?!!!

Can apple fix this with an update?!

How to turn off the task switcher?

off?

You activate the task switcher by double tapping the home button.

You then close the apps by holding one of them down until they wiggle. Red circles with Xs in them will appear in each app's top left corner. That's the button you want to hit.

To close the task switcher, simply tap the area of the screen where your other icons are.

Hahaha "task switcher" is awesome, but in the event you're still confused he's talking about the multitasking bar. Open it and kill all the running apps.

Ashhong

Man, still need to find good cheap cases before my phone arrives. Anybody know a good case that covers the phone, but isn't too bulky? I don't want an otterbox or anything. just something thats either semi rigid silicone or even plastic..

Guys I know how to open the task switcher and close any app running in it :)

I'm asking about disabling the whole task switcher so i don't have to keep opening it and killing the running apps all the time.

Pachimari

A week in and my black phone have gotten 2 very small scuffs but I don't mind it at all.

Hopefully it'll last me 3 years, and throughout it'll get battle scars.

Anyone know of a good, safe, and secure app to store passwords for different websites on? I have to find some way to do this.

after reading various reviews I went with Strip
From what I remember it was the only one that encrypts every aspect of the software and files.

Tobor

I'm asking about disabling the whole task switcher so i don't have to keep opening it and killing the running apps all the time.

You don't have to keep killing the apps all the time. You only kill one if its hung up or causing a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

really? back in iOS 3 days people were begging apple to add multi tasking, I know it can be a little annoying to close apps but you don't really need to do so until you have about 8+ open, there might be an app which works like the manager on android where you can instantly kill anything running with a press but no idea never looked into it.

Tobor

really? back in iOS 3 days people were begging apple to add multi tasking, I know it can be a little annoying to close apps but you don't really need to do so until you have about 8+ open, there might be an app which works like the manager on android where you can instantly kill anything running with a press but no idea never looked into it.

You don't have to do it then, either.

SuperPac

On iOS you do not need to kill apps using the multitasking bar to clear memory or save battery.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

I'm on the same boat regarding the battery life. My iPhone 5 seems to be killing the battery. Maybe its because the LTE is so much faster compared to 3G that I am actually doing much more than before, but it seems like it doesn't last very long. I've obviously googled for some answers and ways to optimize battery life...any other pro tips you have other than:
- push notifications off
- notifications center remove as much as possible
- screen brightness not maxed out
- i also close the apps on the task switcher
- some location services that I don't use are off.

LaneDS

Two weeks after getting the black iPhone 5, I've resigned myself to keep it but have ultimately been pretty underwhelmed by it. In some respects, it's great; big bright screen and super fast, but the negatives like the maps fiasco, how easily scuffed the edges are, and the shitty battery life (compared to my 4) really bring the experience down for me. If I didn't have to switch carriers and plans I would have been happy sticking with the 4 for another year I think.

sruckus

Thank you, I've been meaning to bookmark that article for a while now.

Except occasionally there is a misbehaving app. Or if I open up certain memory heavy apps I can't even open multiple tabs in Chrome without every one reloading when I activate it. It's total crap.

noah111

Still Alive
I always giggle when people quick close all their apps out.
Multi-touch! I try to position my fingers just right to be able to tap three red dots simultaneously, then just keep tapping in that position. Easily close a dozen+ apps in just a few taps. ;p

God there needs to be a close all button at the end, so badly.

knitoe

Man, still need to find good cheap cases before my phone arrives. Anybody know a good case that covers the phone, but isn't too bulky? I don't want an otterbox or anything. just something thats either semi rigid silicone or even plastic..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093CDLM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
51c%2BxGx9%2BHL._SS400_.jpg

I am using this until Powermat releases a wireless charging case for the iPhone 5. Anyway, it's a hard clear frosty case, very tight fit, offers good protection and adds hardly any weight. I bought it before iPhone release for $6.95, but it looks like it's double the price now.

Hari Seldon

Called apple last night to upgrade my 16gig to a 64gig. They would not do it without cancelling my order and giving me a new order, which would reset my position in the queue. So I just told them to cancel it. I'll be playing the 10pm game with my local apple store. Has anyone had any success with this? I guess I could also go to AT&T stores as well.

On iOS you do not need to kill apps using the multitasking bar to clear memory or save battery.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

It amazes me how many people don't seem to understand this. I know several people with iPhone's who incessantly close all the apps in the multitasking menu hourly. Every time they do it I try and tell them......but I've just given up. They're convinced it's necessary. ;)

Except occasionally there is a misbehaving app. Or if I open up certain memory heavy apps I can't even open multiple tabs in Chrome without every one reloading when I activate it. It's total crap.

This is true. If I see my phone acting up with the battery draining faster, or my usage meter says it hasn't been in sleep mode since it's last charge, I will just do a hard reset, and it always fixes it. No need to delete those apps in the multitasking though.

Called apple last night to upgrade my 16gig to a 64gig. They would not do it without cancelling my order and giving me a new order, which would reset my position in the queue. So I just told them to cancel it. I'll be playing the 10pm game with my local apple store. Has anyone had any success with this? I guess I could also go to AT&T stores as well.

I just had success with it! Reserved a white model for pickup last night, and when I got to the store I saw the black model next to the white one and I just couldn't pull the trigger. So I cancelled that reservation on the spot.

Got on Apple.com at 9:58 last night and began checking for a black one. At 10pm, BAM, there it was. Black model reserved for pickup tonight!

So yeah, get on there just before 10, have the phone you want in your cart, and start checking those local stores at 9:59. After you check once, close the pop up menu and then hit it again to check again. Sometimes I've seen them update a minute or two after 10. By 10:05 though you'll know for sure nothing is available. Just remember, even after you select one for pickup, you have to complete your transaction quickly, because it's not actually holding one for you until you complete the order. So have your credit card info nearby if you need to complete that, otherwise it will just default to the credit card you already have on your iTunes account.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
People who say to have better battery life, do you keep the LTE off and screen brightness the same as what you had on you older phone?

On every iphone I've had, I always keep brightness at max. Can iphone 5 survive a full day of occasional use like that, with the LTE enabled?

Hari Seldon

I just had success with it! Reserved a white model for pickup last night, and when I got to the store I saw the black model next to the white one and I just couldn't pull the trigger. So I cancelled that reservation on the spot.

Got on Apple.com at 9:58 last night and began checking for a black one. At 10pm, BAM, there it was. Black model reserved for pickup tonight!

So yeah, get on there just before 10, have the phone you want in your cart, and start checking those local stores at 9:59. After you check once, close the pop up menu and then hit it again to check again. Sometimes I've seen them update a minute or two after 10. By 10:05 though you'll know for sure nothing is available. Just remember, even after you select one for pickup, you have to complete your transaction quickly, because it's not actually holding one for you until you complete the order. So have your credit card info nearby if you need to complete that, otherwise it will just default to the credit card you already have on your iTunes account.

Nice! Good tips. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Anyone else find the new iPhone 5 ad inadvertently funny? It says 'bigger screen to fit the average hand, that's common sense.' Yet its taken them 5 generations for this pearl of wisdom to come to them?

Nice! Good tips. I'll give that a shot tonight.

I should note that I have about 6 stores within an hour drive, so I did have that going for me during my search. :)

But it does seem like in general their stores are getting deliveries of various models on a daily basis.

Anyone else find the new iPhone 5 ad inadvertently funny? It says 'bigger screen to fit the average hand, that's common sense.' Yet its taken them 5 generations for this pearl of wisdom to come to them?

I think you missed the point. They're saying their phone has always been the correct width to fit the average hand, even with the bigger screen now.

Unlike their competitors who continually make the screen larger and larger, and thus the phone becomes wider and wider.

I think you missed the point. They're saying their phone has always been the correct width to fit the average hand, even with the bigger screen now.

Unlike their competitors who continually make the screen larger and larger, and thus the phone becomes wider and wider.

Looked to me like it was simply displaying the way that you can perfectly reach all corners of the larger screen. Only seen it once, so you may well be right

I wish they could get rid of the left and right bezel on the side of the screen in the next model (the way many fake mockups had the iphone 5 looking), they shouldn't need to increase the resolution or change aspect ratio for that just make the screen large enough to fill the entire front face

SuperPac

I will say that if I'm laying in bed I have a helluva time holding the phone in my right hand and tapping anything on the rightmost edge (and vice versa for left). The phone's so light and smooth that my grip slips. So in that respect I don't think it's as good as the 4/4S was. Thought for about 2 seconds about getting a case but I just like having the phone caseless too much for that.

I will say that if I'm laying in bed I have a helluva time holding the phone in my right hand and tapping anything on the rightmost edge (and vice versa for left). The phone's so light and smooth that my grip slips. So in that respect I don't think it's as good as the 4/4S was. Thought for about 2 seconds about getting a case but I just like having the phone caseless too much for that.

This is why I like the bumpers so much. The minimalist case that actually serves the purpose of making the phone easier to grip.

Ashhong

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c+xGx9+HL._SS400_.jpg

I am using this until Powermat releases a wireless charging case for the iPhone 5. Anyway, it's a hard clear frosty case, very tight fit, offers good protection and adds hardly any weight. I bought it before iPhone release for $6.95, but it looks like it's double the price now.

This looks good thanks. Anybody have any other suggestions that look like this?
Apple acknowledges iPhone 5 camera flaw

Their response? Have a guess....

Stupid hipsters! Your colour perception is wrong, not the camera!

Lol, that's not what they are saying at all, but ok.

giga

Apple acknowledges iPhone 5 camera flaw

Their response? Have a guess....

Stupid hipsters! Your colour perception is wrong, not the camera!
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6867454450/quick-review-apple-iphone-5-camera/3

Is it internal reflections / Lens flare?

Almost certainly, yes. The most likely cause of the iPhone 5's purple haze is probably lens flare and internal reflections in the camera lens assembly. All lenses are succeptable to lens flare to some degree, and as you can see from the images at the top of this page, the iPhone 4S isn't immune either (ditto the iPhone 4 and competitive smartphones from other manufacturers).

But in our shooting we've found that it's a little more noticeable on the iPhone 5. So why is that? It's unlikely that the flare is solely due to the much-vaunted inclusion of a sapphire glass lens cover (although the refractive index of the sapphire glass is different to conventional optical glass, so it could be a contributing factor). Our money is on it being caused by a combination of different things, none of which, alone, is unique to the iPhone 5.

The primary way that lens manufacturers prevent lens flare is to coat the glass elements in an anti-reflective coating. The iPhone 5's lens elements are coated, but we don't know if the coatings are identical to those used in the iPhone 4S's lens. Maybe the sapphire glass has to be coated differently - we don't know. And we won't know, unless Apple releases a more in-depth statement about the technology.

Really, our advice is not to worry. Just do what you should do anyway, and avoid putting bright lights near the edge of the frame when shooting.

Lol, that's not what they are saying at all, but ok.

Gizmodo says otherwise

Dear Matt,

Our engineering team just gave me this information and we recommend that you angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures. The purple flare in the image provided is considered normal behavior for iPhone 5's camera. If you wish to reach me regarding this case number *********, please contact me at 1-877-***-**** ext. *******. I currently work Thursday-Monday: 7:00am - 3:30pm Mountain Time. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. Email is ***********@apple.com.

Sincerely,
Debby
AppleCare Support

giga

Gizmodo says otherwise

Dear Matt,

Our engineering team just gave me this information and we recommend that you angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures. The purple flare in the image provided is considered normal behavior for iPhone 5's camera. If you wish to reach me regarding this case number *********, please contact me at 1-877-***-**** ext. *******. I currently work Thursday-Monday: 7:00am - 3:30pm Mountain Time. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. Email is ***********@apple.com.

Sincerely,
Debby
AppleCare Support
Your point? They didn't say anything about color perception.

Ashhong

Gizmodo says otherwise

Dear Matt,

Sincerely,
Debby
AppleCare Support

As giga said, not once do they insult a hipster's color perception. They are just saying that the purple flare is not a glitch, but normal and part of the hardware. Pretty big difference.

Clipse

Just received my Spigen Crumena leather case today and would like to warn everyone to stay away from this POS.

There's glue on the pull strap on the inside that smears onto my phone every time I put it in the case.

Will be returning this and getting the Sena Ultraslim.

how common is this purple flare thing? Do you have to get it angled just right to see it or is it more like every time the sun is near the picture you get a purple flare?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
October 4th:
Still not update for the iPhone 5 screen--
Dropbox
Mint
OCTranspo (Bus app)
Paypal
Steam
Gamepedia
RageCam
Picup
Google Translate
Songza

I don't expect games to update quite so quickly, but applications, especially relatively simple applications with few views, especially applications used by a gajillion people, should be updated. :/

This past Monday, my AT&T store only got 64 GB models. I knew ahead of time as they were telling inquiring customers. I came in at 10 AM and waited for their shipment. It came in around 11:40 am. Not that bad of a wait. I just sat and watched ESPN on their tv. They only got 5, so I think it was a good idea. You should try that.

Top Bottom