• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Just got my phone last night.

So I tried using the built in maps navigation on the way to work this morning. It worked fine, as long as you didn't try and do anything else at the same time as it was navigating.

Holy shit did the phone flip out when I tried that. First I tried putting on the TuneIn Radio app. The app wasn't responding to my inputs, and then proceeded to do a full phone reboot.

So I start the navigation up again, and I get the radio app working. I then attempted to check the settings for maps, as the default navi voice was too loud. The volume for the navi then dropped to a whisper level, and seemed to be bugged at that level. Couldn't change it back to anything louder. I closed both the maps and settings in the multiasking bar.

Then I tried setting it all up again. The phone did another full reboot after bugging out.

Then I got the navi working again, without the radio app, and I got a text, with no alert sound being heard, but when I attempted to reply to it, the phone once again freaked out and did a full reboot.

I then arrived to work. Yikes. They need to get 6.01 out STAT.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Hi guys. Realize I may get some biased answers here but I did ask in the gs3 thread too.

Basically trying to decide between the two and like certain things about both.

iPhone I like the games. Sharpness of screen. The stability of said apps and updates and using it as a mp3 player.

Gs3 the big screen is nice for watching things and browsing. I can get a lot of space with the expandable memory slot, nfc is cool and android is a neat so too. Gs3 is an attractive price point being 150 with the contract vs 378 too.

I have a decent amount of apps on ios but I do have an iPad if I want to use them too. The general consensus in the other thread was to keep iPad for iOS stuff and get gs3 for a phone..

What say you iphonegaf

matt360

xCJSAl.jpg

Taken a moment ago

9 hours of music, right?

SJRB

Gold Member
My order has been postponed indefinately due to the iPhone being out of stock. It may take up to three weeks.

GodDAMNIT.

Kaladin

I recorded my first videos on the iPhone 5 last night at a local concert. I got an entire 10 song 40 minute set and had 71% of my battery left. I came to the concert on 100%. I think I got some good videos and this has awesome low light quality video and good sound. I'll post them to YouTube over the weekend so you guys can check them out.

Have you ever had the case sort of 'fall off'?
Like while you're holding the top the bottom comes off

Only with the original design they used for the 4/4s; the design with the metal frame that was glued to the rest of the case. I don't think their manufacturing precision was where it needed to be with that design, so the bottom and and top parts of the case didn't meet completely snug. The glued on metal parts would make contact with each other before the wooden parts did which meant they were absorbing all of the load when the halves of the case were pressed together (like when the phone is in your pocket). The metal would start to back away from where it was glued on, which would result in the bottom being really loose like you mentioned.

I think they went to the all wooden design pretty quickly would solved that problem completely. I was at a car race in Pikes Peak and one of Grove's employees (sister of the owner) saw me with the case and got really excited since it was the first one she had seen in the wild. I had the original, metal-framed case and she said she hadn't seen one of them since the initial run. That case was started to get worn down around that time, and eventually it got finished off while drunkenly wrestling with my brother in the front yard at 4am.

I got the redesigned case shortly thereafter and it held up beautifully for over a year until just now getting my 5.

Only with the original design they used for the 4/4s; the design with the metal frame that was glued to the rest of the case. I don't think their manufacturing precision was where it needed to be with that design, so the bottom and and top parts of the case didn't meet completely snug. The glued on metal parts would make contact with each other before the wooden parts did which meant they were absorbing all of the load when the halves of the case were pressed together (like when the phone is in your pocket). The metal would start to back away from where it was glued on, which would result in the bottom being really loose like you mentioned.

I think they went to the all wooden design pretty quickly would solved that problem completely. I was at a car race in Pikes Peak and one of Grove's employees (sister of the owner) saw me with the case and got really excited since it was the first one she had seen in the wild. I had the original, metal-framed case and she said she hadn't seen one of them since the initial run. That case was started to get worn down around that time, and eventually it got finished off while drunkenly wrestling with my brother in the front yard at 4am.

I got the redesigned case shortly thereafter and it held up beautifully for over a year until just now getting my 5.

Okay, cool. That's really good to hear.. Read some stuff on a case separating after some time but it makes sense that it was because of an older design.

I'm gonna go ahead and get it. Thanks bro

Just got my phone last night.

So I tried using the built in maps navigation on the way to work this morning. It worked fine, as long as you didn't try and do anything else at the same time as it was navigating.

Holy shit did the phone flip out when I tried that. First I tried putting on the TuneIn Radio app. The app wasn't responding to my inputs, and then proceeded to do a full phone reboot.

So I start the navigation up again, and I get the radio app working. I then attempted to check the settings for maps, as the default navi voice was too loud. The volume for the navi then dropped to a whisper level, and seemed to be bugged at that level. Couldn't change it back to anything louder. I closed both the maps and settings in the multiasking bar.

Then I tried setting it all up again. The phone did another full reboot after bugging out.

Then I got the navi working again, without the radio app, and I got a text, with no alert sound being heard, but when I attempted to reply to it, the phone once again freaked out and did a full reboot.

I then arrived to work. Yikes. They need to get 6.01 out STAT.
I don't think that's a problem with iOS, I think that's a problem with the radio app you're trying to use. I've had navigation going, with music playing from Spotify, while using Siri to text people and I have not experienced anything like you have. Maybe try restoring the phone?

I don't think that's a problem with iOS, I think that's a problem with the radio app you're trying to use. I've had navigation going, with music playing from Spotify, while using Siri to text people and I have not experienced anything like you have. Maybe try restoring the phone?

I was thinking the same, but even once the radio app was off, I was still getting bugs, such as the text message making no audible alert, and then the entire phone rebooting while I replied to it.

Does anyone know if it really makes a difference setting up the phone without using a backup? If I do that, is there any way to get all my contacts and calender brought onto the new phone? That's the only stuff I don't want to lose.

I was thinking the same, but even once the radio app was off, I was still getting bugs, such as the text message making no audible alert, and then the entire phone rebooting while I replied to it.

Does anyone know if it really makes a difference setting up the phone without using a backup? If I do that, is there any way to get all my contacts and calender brought onto the new phone? That's the only stuff I don't want to lose.

you can set it up as a new phone then enter your Apple ID in the iCloud panel to restore your contacts etc.

Your backup has no bearings on your data.

In your case, I do suggest restoring the phone via iTunes and and then restoring from your backup as you always would though. In my experience, if I had an issue with a phone, I'd have it no matter what I do, backup wise.

I JUST GOT CALLED MY BABY IS HERE!

Now, onto the business. I want an extravagant case for mine because it's my first iPhone and that's how I roll.

http://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/

http://www.gilddesign.com/en/goods-iphone5.html

These are the two I am debating between. Both made from somewhat exotic materials. Gild is aircraft aluminum block, grove being a bamboo block.

Does anyone have opinions on either of these or better recommendations?

I'd go for the first one. That second one is fugly.

you can set it up as a new phone then enter your Apple ID in the iCloud panel to restore your contacts etc.

Your backup has no bearings on your data.

In your case, I do suggest restoring the phone via iTunes and and then restoring from your backup as you always would though. In my experience, if I had an issue with a phone, I'd have it no matter what I do, backup wise.

But what if I have no iCloud backup? I've never messed with that stuff.

I'd go for the first one. That second one is fugly.

haha

I was actually thinking the exact opposite. I don't think wood belongs anywhere near an iPhone.

Now, onto the business. I want an extravagant case for mine because it's my first iPhone and that's how I roll.

These are the two I am debating between. Both made from somewhat exotic materials. Gild is aircraft aluminum block, grove being a bamboo block.

Oh man the Gild ones are amazing. But wow that price!
Definitely Gild if you're down with spending that $$$.

LCfiner

1086b0d682d36a7bbf43a4c75a4eb4ef.jpg

gi222s3.jpg

that first one is going to cause flash issues, I bet. the cutout is very small and near the LED. just a hunch based on what we saw with iphone 4 cases.

Second one... looks like a wreck. those corners. jeesh.

Sh0k

Anyone wanting to get rid of an iphone 4s for $200 let me know. I need a damn phone, preferably an at&t model. I still using the original iphone. :) Not being able to update apps sucks.

I have an iPhone 4 Black 16GB for AT&T in excellent condition that I'm selling for $200. with 3 cases and a screen protector. No charger or USB cable though.

PM if interested.

It died shortly after so I'm not sure, but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't manage my task switcher at all

The only 3rd party apps that can run in the background truly are music apps, navigation apps, and VOIP apps (and finishing processes for any apps programmed to do so, but only for like 10 minutes more max). You don't have any need to manage open apps. Everything else suspends usage when you close it, saving state in RAM.

I think low bar LTE uses a lot of power.

haha

I was actually thinking the exact opposite. I don't think wood belongs anywhere near an iPhone.

I wasn't saying that I like the first one, I was just saying that if he's to pick either of those he'd be better off picking the first one. But then again, most covers don't seem to work well with the white iPhone anyway...

haha

Before you retore your phone turn on iCloud and sync your contacts/calendars/whatever else you want to. Then wipe the phone and restore via iTunes.

I had an iPhone 4 and I wanted to start clean on my iPhone 5, but since I had iCloud activated on my 4 all my contacts were already on my 5 the moment I turned it on.

I'm currently sitting out the final months of my one year contract with an iPhone 4S, but I'm very much considering going back to Android again. Jelly Bean is amazing and I kinda like the bigger screen sizes on some of the Android phones.

But then again, I still feel the app and game offerings are so much better on iPhone... and most apps that are released for both platforms seem to look/perform better on iOS.
It's mainly that I prefer the Android OS, especially in combination with Google's Cloud services and the seamless integration.

:-(

Spy

gi222s3.jpg

I had a Grove case for my iPhone 4s and it wore pretty quickly. I opted for the Miniot iWood 5 case this time around.

LjYgl.jpg

pompidu

gi222s3.jpg

Those are some very ugly cases

I've got a quick question since this thread is pretty lively right now.

How do you unlock your phone? My dad and I are on AT&T, and he's selling his old 4 to a friend of mine. That friend is on a different network though so the phone has to get unlocked for him to use it. Do we do that through AT&T, is there some hack we can do ourselves, do we have to pay a third party? Does it actually cost money to do it? Both of our phones were off contract by the time the 5 rolled around so they've been more than paid for, so he should be legally allowed to unlock it, right?

I've got a quick question since this thread is pretty lively right now.

How do you unlock your phone? My dad and I are on AT&T, and he's selling his old 4 to a friend of mine. That friend is on a different network though so the phone has to get unlocked for him to use it. Do we do that through AT&T, is there some hack we can do ourselves, do we have to pay a third party? Both of our phones were off contract by the time the 5 rolled around so they've been more than paid for, so he should be legally allowed to unlock it, right?

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

MasLegio

Banned

gi222s3.jpg

You have more money than taste

Wow, that was fast. Thank you!!

So once AT&T unlocks it my friend should be able to just put his SIM in and go, right?
Does my dad's SIM need to be in the phone for it to get the signal it's unlocked?

(I honestly have NO idea how this process works, I've only ever hacktivated an iPhone before)

Yup, I just went through this last week. My friend cut his full-size SIM down to a micro-SIM size, but otherwise it's straightforward. It unlocked with my SIM still in it. It actually does all of that through the Internet I believe.

I just double-checked my final email from AT&T on how to complete the unlock process, and it implies that it just needs a SIM inserted; it sounds like any will do.

ChanHuk

Banned
Once you go black. You never go back. Got my black 5. White is back at the AT&T store. Girl was kinda shocked I returned it.

subrock

Hi guys. Realize I may get some biased answers here but I did ask in the gs3 thread too.

Basically trying to decide between the two and like certain things about both.

iPhone I like the games. Sharpness of screen. The stability of said apps and updates and using it as a mp3 player.

Gs3 the big screen is nice for watching things and browsing. I can get a lot of space with the expandable memory slot, nfc is cool and android is a neat so too. Gs3 is an attractive price point being 150 with the contract vs 378 too.

I have a decent amount of apps on ios but I do have an iPad if I want to use them too. The general consensus in the other thread was to keep iPad for iOS stuff and get gs3 for a phone..

What say you iphonegaf

For me it's not about the features it's about the software. iPhone to me means instant iOS updates and lead platform for most developers.

Vyer

I'm currently sitting out the final months of my one year contract with an iPhone 4S, but I'm very much considering going back to Android again. Jelly Bean is amazing and I kinda like the bigger screen sizes on some of the Android phones.

But then again, I still feel the app and game offerings are so much better on iPhone... and most apps that are released for both platforms seem to look/perform better on iOS.
It's mainly that I prefer the Android OS, especially in combination with Google's Cloud services and the seamless integration.

:-(

Get a tablet with one OS, a phone with the other.

Two weeks and my case less black phone is still scuff free. ballin

For how long? Scuffs are an eventuality. I want a case for my phone, but I'll admit not a fan of the weight it will add but the "design" choices have necessitated it.

My wifi is magically working now. But it doesn't seem zippy. It's clear they need a software update.

Top Bottom