• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My sister in law just texted me complaining about a purple glow from her pictures that didn't use to happen with her iPhone 4. She's pretty pissed about the new camera since she takes a lot of pics of her kids. She's also the type who had been an Apple convert over the last two years. It seems like its not just an issue being made up online.

Who said it was an issue being made up online?

Apple have even acknowledged it.

My moderately scratched iPhone 4 (Black 16GB, unlocked by AT&T) sold for $230 on eBay a few days ago. I hope iPhones remain popular for a long time because it'd be nice to never have to pay for a new phone again.

My moderately scratched iPhone 4 (Black 16GB, unlocked by AT&T) sold for $230 on eBay a few days ago. I hope iPhones remain popular for a long time because it'd be nice to never have to pay for a new phone again.

When I sold my iPhone 4 for $300 I was pretty happy about it. iPads also apparently have very high resale value

When I sold my iPhone 4 for $300 I was pretty happy about it. iPads also apparently have very high resale value

Yeah, apparently the guy had actually just bought a 1st Generation iPad for $266 a few weeks before he bought my iPhone.

For as long as Apple's resell value and AT&T's "unlimited" data remain I'll be staying where I am.

asdad123

Just sold my brothers unlocked 4 16gb for $250. It's pretty crazy to get that much for a phone he paid $49 on contract two years ago (AT&T refurb)

Fjordson

If I call a nearby Apple store to ask if they have any phones in stock, will they say if they do or don't? I have this idea in my head that they don't actually give people a definitive answer to that on the phone...but I could be totally making that up :lol

Edit: Just tried "Not many at the moment, but we do get phones in every day. " Wouldn't tell me any details about storage or colors that they currently have =[ damn

AEREC

Damn this battery life sucks...I feel like I hardly use my phone and by the end of the day it's at 15%. I remember my 4S lasting at least 2 days sometimes 3, but my 5 barely make it through one.

Ashhong

If I call a nearby Apple store to ask if they have any phones in stock, will they say if they do or don't? I have this idea in my head that they don't actually give people a definitive answer to that on the phone...but I could be totally making that up :lol

Edit: Just tried "Not many at the moment, but we do get phones in every day. " Wouldn't tell me any details about storage or colors that they currently have =[ damn

There is a store pickup option online isnt there. I'm surprised any Apple store has it in stock at the moment.

Vyer

Hitting 8+ hours of usage pretty consistently now, and I'm using it fairly heavy. Browsing, texting, downloaded and watched a couple of movies from itunes, some netflix, Fieldrunners 2. My very first charge was about 6 1/2 hours.

I am not turning off LTE or wireless or anything like that. Letting it find and connect on its own when applicable.

iWt9A0vXydVTf.PNG

i4HtDZMnNR3me.PNG

As promised: my SwitchEasy Nude UltraClear case impressions* and pics ($22).

*Actual impressions coming later as I got stuff to do, so meanwhile please feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them tonight.

P1000370.jpg

What's in the box?

P1000375.jpg

It comes with...

-Case
-Two screen protectors
-One back protector (covers just the aluminium)
-Two bottom connector protectors
-Squeegee
-Microfiber cloth

So... how clear is it, exactly?

Turns out this is a pretty damn clear case.

P1000376.jpg

P1000377.jpg

P1000386.jpg

P1000379.jpg

P1000380.jpg

I've had it on for a day, so you can already see some lint and dirt accumulating around the edges.

P1000382.jpg

P1000383.jpg

Bottom of the phone with protector:

P1000385.jpg

...and now without:

P1000384.jpg

Enjoy! I'll be back later with impressions.

LaneDS

Do you run at max brightness?

I halved my brightness for a while, but then felt like that was essentially wasting the potential of the display and have gone back to 100%. Still not impressed with battery life, but it isn't abysmal either.

Miker

Hitting 8+ hours of usage pretty consistently now, and I'm using it fairly heavy. Browsing, texting, downloaded and watched a couple of movies from itunes, some netflix, Fieldrunners 2. My very first charge was about 6 1/2 hours.

I am not turning off LTE or wireless or anything like that. Letting it find and connect on its own when applicable.

Not bad. When I'm at school, sit in a room with wi-fi on all the time and I drain at 3% battery per hour :-/ I think it's because the wi-fi signal is weak and it disconnects/reconnects all the time. When I'm at home with my wi-fi on, I drain less than 1% per hour.

I halved my brightness for a while, but then felt like that was essentially wasting the potential of the display and have gone back to 100%. Still not impressed with battery life, but it isn't abysmal either.

Outdoors with my touch I need to jack brightness up a lot but indoors 50% is plenty without hurting my eyes, doesn't full brightness give you eye ache indoors?

Damn this battery life sucks...I feel like I hardly use my phone and by the end of the day it's at 15%. I remember my 4S lasting at least 2 days sometimes 3, but my 5 barely make it through one.

When it comes to hearing things about the battery like this I always think that you might have a rouge app running in the tray or some GPS stuff on, those things are battery killers. There is also stuff about the new LTE stuff killing batteries so it might be that too.

Ashhong

As promised: my SwitchEasy Nude UltraClear case impressions* and pics ($22).

*Actual impressions coming later as I got stuff to do, so meanwhile please feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them tonight.

P1000370.jpg

Enjoy! I'll be back later with impressions.

How are the volume buttons? That one review said that it is super sensitive and an annoyance.

Does that lint scratch up the phone? Or is it just unsightly?

Vyer

Case looks pretty nice, though I wish it was a little more up around the edges. Hard plastic I am assuming?

I run at about half, auto brightness off. Honestly I think the screen looks great even at 50%. 100% would absolutely punish battery life for the most part.

Not bad. When I'm at school, sit in a room with wi-fi on all the time and I drain at 3% battery per hour :-/ I think it's because the wi-fi signal is weak and it disconnects/reconnects all the time. When I'm at home with my wi-fi on, I drain less than 1% per hour.

Yeah, on the average day with work I am crossing from WiFi - LTE - '4G' - WiFi pretty regularly, so if that wasn't the case I might get even better battery life. I am in two seperate offices during the course of the day, and the access point in the first is very unreliable, so I just stick with the data connection. Unfortunately it's on the outer edge of LTE coverage. Second office is a good WiFi connection, as is my house. Rest of the trip is a mix of LTE and '4G'.

EDIT:
Tell her to return the phone and get a new one. I don't see this at all in my pics. I also use mine a ton as well for some pictures of my kids (when I don't have a real camera nearby). Sounds like a defective phone.

Also battery is great on this phone. Huge improvement over the 4S for me. As long as I have BT off (that kills battery) and am not using GPS I am getting 8-9 hours of usage easy. Only complaint is the new cable. I like it but it is a huge PITA to replace it.

are you having trouble finding one? I walked into a Sprint store the other day, I'm not on Sprint but they had a few it's not like they care. The carrier stores would be worth trying.

bionic77

My sister in law just texted me complaining about a purple glow from her pictures that didn't use to happen with her iPhone 4. She's pretty pissed about the new camera since she takes a lot of pics of her kids. She's also the type who had been an Apple convert over the last two years. It seems like its not just an issue being made up online.
Tell her to return the phone and get a new one. I don't see this at all in my pics. I also use mine a ton as well for some pictures of my kids (when I don't have a real camera nearby). Sounds like a defective phone.

Also battery is great on this phone. Huge improvement over the 4S for me. As long as I have BT off (that kills battery) and am not using GPS I am getting 8-9 hours of usage easy. Only complaint is the new cable. I like it but it is a huge PITA to replace it.

Apple is going to tell her it's normal. It's what they've been saying for the past week.

LaneDS

Outdoors with my touch I need to jack brightness up a lot but indoors 50% is plenty without hurting my eyes, doesn't full brightness give you eye ache indoors?

In some cases, it actually does (usually in low-light situations). But for the most part, I think the display looks best maxed out (and then I weep for the battery afterwards).

Vyer

If she's seeing a purple glow on all her pictures, that's not normal and they'll replace. The discussion I've seen relates to light sources off center or just outside the frame.

It's worth trying anyway, the apple store might do it regardless. Don't just ask a salesman though, make an actual 'genius bar' appointment.

If she's seeing a purple glow on all her pictures, that's not normal and they'll replace. The discussion I've seen relates to light sources off center or just outside the frame.

It's worth trying anyway, the apple store might do it regardless. Don't just ask a salesman though, make an actual 'genius bar' appointment.

She said it was from light sources and not in all her pics. I'm visiting her tonight so I can check.

That's bullshit. She could always return it couldn't she?

She could return it, but the impression I get is they wont do an exchange for this issue since they don't consider it to be an issue. The purple is normal...despite never having seen it on other iPhones.

Definitely do this. All a sales rep is going to do is send you to the Genius bar, where you're going to wait forever without an appt.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Has anyone had any horizontal jittery lines appear on the screen every now and then? It happens quite infrequently and it disappears almost immediately. Similar to what you see on a computer when your GPU is clocked too high. This happen to anyone else's 5?

Yopis

My gf is having issue with flickering when using on screen keyboard. That plus battery life issue is enough for me to pass when my contract is up next month.

dream

To my incredible shock, my naked iPhone 5 survived a 5 foot drop onto concrete with only a dented corner to show for the ordeal.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ive finally made the switch and am leaving my shitty HTC MyTouch and Tmobile behind for Sprint and an iPhone 5...

Only problem is I have to wait a couple weeks before they can get me one :( hopefully it's sooner, but I dunno. Until then I live in hell with my current phone.

Until then, anyone have some good tumblrs/sites for wallpapers? I'm collecting right now.

PSGames

Has anyone had any horizontal jittery lines appear on the screen every now and then? It happens quite infrequently and it disappears almost immediately. Similar to what you see on a computer when your GPU is clocked too high. This happen to anyone else's 5?

Yep this happened to me a few times but after owning the phone a few days it went away.

Zeth

Do people run their phone at 100% brightness? Mine never goes above 50% unless in direct sunlight and I feel like it's more than bright enough usually. Max brightness must destroy the battery, no?

Tobor

Do people run their phone at 100% brightness? Mine never goes above 50% unless in direct sunlight and I feel like it's more than bright enough usually. Max brightness must destroy the battery, no?

Yeah, I've never had any iPhone at 100%. I usually set it around 40% and leave it alone.

Zeth

I feel like the max brightness exists mainly to combat outdoor glare. It has to take serious getting used to for indoor use, and the battery trade-off can't be worth it.

Aesthet1c

Yes I've had this as well. I'm not sure if its a hardware issue or just a bug in the iOS. I'm debating taking my phone back and getting it replaced.

Yep. C'mon the thing has only been out for a couple of weeks. Anything battery related / weird glitches will likely be patched in the next dot update - no need to take it back

I heard plenty about the new maps being crap. But WIFI doesnt work??? How is this not the big story???

I don't know why Apple keeps failing at Wifi. Every time they release something new, we hear for a couple weeks how shitty the Wifi is, and then they're forced to patch it. How about getting it right the first time?

She could return it, but the impression I get is they wont do an exchange for this issue since they don't consider it to be an issue. The purple is normal...despite never having seen it on other iPhones.

So I checked it out tonight and sure enough it's not ideal. It's definitely related to the light sources and you can see it before you snap the shot in the live view. I don't think exchanging it is going to do anything. She's pretty annoyed with it and Apple's response. She says she'll probably keep it though cuz she loves the LTE speed and needs the higher capacity over her iPhone 4.

Zeth

I heard plenty about the new maps being crap. But WIFI doesnt work??? How is this not the big story???

Because it has only affected a tiny portion of phones I'm guessing?

I don't know why Apple keeps failing at Wifi. Every time they release something new, we hear for a couple weeks how shitty the Wifi is, and then they're forced to patch it. How about getting it right the first time?

How do I recreate the issue? This is the first I've heard of this.

Top Bottom