• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Some guy on MacRumors showed how the iPhone 5 might look after a year or two

original.jpg

Anyone else getting "invalid sim" or "no sim detected"? Just started randomly today. Reboot seems to fix for a bit but has done it twice thus far. I seen a few threads about it on macrumors.

flake

So apparently this morning I used 90% (900mbs) of my data allowance for the month. I hardly used my phone this morning and it should have been using my home wifi. Any ideas?

I JUST GOT CALLED MY BABY IS HERE!

Now, onto the business. I want an extravagant case for mine because it's my first iPhone and that's how I roll.

http://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/

1086b0d682d36a7bbf43a4c75a4eb4ef.jpg

http://www.gilddesign.com/en/goods-iphone5.html

gi222s3.jpg

These are the two I am debating between. Both made from somewhat exotic materials. Gild is aircraft aluminum block, grove being a bamboo block.

Does anyone have opinions on either of these or better recommendations?

get a custom Grove case. I've had one for damn near 2 years. Still looks great, still get compliments on it.

That Minot one looks like a good alternative option in the same vein, though it's damn near twice the price. Either way you go, I'd recommend getting a HARD wood. Some woods are soft and some are hard. How good it will look in a year+ is going to depend in part on the hardness.

nib95

Banned
For me it's not about the features it's about the software. iPhone to me means instant iOS updates and lead platform for most developers.

Depends. For tent pole software and apps, Android is superior. Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Navigation, camera, video, all much better than the iPhone counterpart. As is the best music player on the market (PowerAmp vs EQu) or the best photo editor (Samsung Photo Editor vs Photoshop Express) or best AI (Google Now vs Siri). Facebook is better on the iPhone mind. They look the same and function the same but the iOS version is quicker. For other niche apps its hit and miss. Generally the extra screen real estate for the Android alternative makes up for any lack of polish, but we're reaching a point of parity with most apps now. As someone who still uses both OS's, I'd say Android has actually taken the lead now software and application (quality, not quantity) wise. IOS6 was in some ways a regression in that regard.

NYR

Some guy on MacRumors showed how the iPhone 5 might look after a year or two

original.jpg

Buy unlocked.

Sell 11 months laters for -$200.

Buy new version of phone.

Rinse. Repeat.

For something you use everyday, it's a no brainer, less than a $1 a day investment.

Depends. For tent pole software and apps, Android is superior. Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Navigation, camera, video, all much better than the iPhone counterpart. As is the best music player on the market (PowerAmp vs EQu) or the best photo editor (Samsung Photo Editor vs Photoshop Express) or best AI (Google Now vs Siri). Facebook is better on the iPhone mind. They look the same and function the same but the iOS version is quicker. For other niche apps its hit and miss. Generally the extra screen real estate for the Android alternative makes up for any lack of polish, but we're reaching a point of parity with most apps now. As someone who still uses both OS's, I'd say Android has actually taken the lead now software and application (quality, not quantity) wise. IOS6 was in some ways a regression in that regard.

Hmm. How is YouTube better on Android? How is Gmail better on Android? Have you used the Gmail app on iPhone? Have you used the built in navigation on the iPhone 5?

nib95

Banned
Hmm. How is YouTube better on Android? How is Gmail better on Android? Have you used the Gmail app on iPhone? Have you used the built in navigation on the iPhone 5?

YT is better on Android because, like FB (on iPhone), functionality is finally the same, but it's still much faster on Android (and looks better with slightly more screen real estate too). Add to that, 16:9 vids play full screen as oppose to letter boxed on the 5 and other things like that. GMAIL on Android is actually far more advanced than the iPhone alternative. Searching, attachments, general layout and design. All superior. And lastly, yes, I've used the built in Navigation on the Iphone 5, where I am based now (Bath, UK), lets just say it doesn't compare to that of Android's. Far less information, less accurate positioning etc.

YT is better on Android because, like FB (on iPhone), functionality is finally the same, but it's still much faster on Android (and looks better with slightly more screen real estate too). Add to that, 16:9 vids play full screen as oppose to letter boxed on the 5 and other things like that. GMAIL on Android is actually far more advanced than the iPhone alternative. Searching, attachments, general layout and design. All superior.

why would videos play letterboxed on the 5 which is also 16:9?
and Facebook on Android is a horrible, laggy mess.

Gmail I give you, but your post makes me wonder wether you have actually ever even seen an iPhone.

nib95

Banned

Gmail I give you, but your post makes me wonder wether you have actually ever even seen an iPhone.

Lol. I'm new to Android and have been an iPhone user for 3 releases....

Facebook is not a laggy mess on Android, but it is indeed a good degree slower. I would also however argue that it's not exactly super quick on the iPhone either, with all sorts of loading anomalies and issues. It's not particularly great on either, it's just worse on Android, though layout and functionality is the same (better real estate and aesthetics on Android).

Youtube is the same story but the other way around. It's slow, buffers loads even on fast connections etc on the iPhone 5, whilst it runs flawless and very fast on say, the S3. Also, just try out the letterbox thing now if you don't believe me. I tested a few vids, for example when you search "Watch the Throne" the first vid that pops up (a live concert version of N****s in Paris) or one of The dark Knight Rises trailers, they will be full screen (no black bars) on the S3 but weirdly letter boxed on the iPhone 5. Oh, and YT vids appear to be more detailed on the S3 too (loads in proper HD).

Vyer

I don't agree with that at all. Using both an ICS device and an iOS device myself, the gap is still prevalent (functionality, availability, updates) and if you add in games it's not really close. Obviously Google's own apps are going to be better on their platform (though even then a few Google apps have come to iOS first) but beyond that there's still a long way to go before reaching parity. Facebook is closer to the norm than the exception.

Anyone else getting "invalid sim" or "no sim detected"? Just started randomly today. Reboot seems to fix for a bit but has done it twice thus far. I seen a few threads about it on macrumors.
It happened to me the day after I got my phone last week...ended up ejecting the sim, cleaned the contacts, reseated the sim in the tray and put it back in...hasn't happened since so far.

Youtube is the same story but the other way around. It's slow, buffers loads even on fast connections etc on the iPhone 5, whilst it runs flawless and very fast on say, the S3. Also, just try out the letterbox thing now if you don't believe me. I tested a few vids, for example when you search "Watch the Throne" the first vid that pops up (a live concert version of N****s in Paris) or one of The dark Knight Rises trailers, they will be full screen (no black bars) on the S3 but weirdly letter boxed on the iPhone 5. I think the Android version auto crops the black bars off. Oh, and it's more detailed on the S3 too (loads in proper HD).

Youtube App has not been updated for the iPhone 5 screen size.

Mairu

Sparrow > Gmail on Android

Well at least up until Gmail on Android is Sparrow, considering they bought the team...

That makes sense. Which is weird, because they released the new YT app mainly in time for the iPhone 5.

iOS6, which removes the "old" YouTube app, was the reason.

Well at least up until Gmail on Android is Sparrow, considering they bought the team...

Fuck this. Until Apple allows Sparrow to be the default mail client and to send push notifications, it doesn't count.

nib95

Banned

I'll have to strongly disagree with you there. Not only does the Gmail app on Android look much better and have much better use of screen real estate, it is better features wise (at least since I last used Sparrow). In terms of quality/speed of email searching, using attachments, lack of an integrated browser for links, push notifications etc etc. Not really near as good tbh.

Anyway, banging on a bit now. I'll leave it at that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Eh, haters gonna hate.

I'm buying the shit out of this:

8058594409_1b16ffdbe9_z.jpg

That looks amazing, and will match my iPad brilliantly!

7960268344_19824c2c13_z.jpg

Mairu

I'll have to strongly disagree with you there. Not only does the Gmail app on Android look much better and have much better use of screen real estate, it is better features wise (at least since I last used Sparrow). In terms of quality/speed of email searching, using attachments, lack of an integrated browser for links, push notifications etc etc. Not really near as good tbh.

Anyway, banging on a bit now. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not really sure what issues you had with attachments in Sparrow before and I've had no problems opening links in Sparrow before. I totally disagree that Gmail on Android looks better and makes use of space better (whatever you call the whole Facebook mobile app type theme that they and other mobile app developers have copied is awesome and should be copied for everything!)

Push notifications is fixed with Sparrow+ (well, on iOS5 it was, jailbreak soon please!) and the most bizarre part of Gmail on Android for me is no unified inbox... that's just crazy. I don't really understand why Gmail and Mail are separate apps on Android either.

Am I missing something using the stock mail app with gmail?

Pushes instantly, searchable, flags, attachments work fine and open in other apps by holding down if required. Unified inbox including other accounts. What is missing that people need alternatives.

Mairu

Pushes instantly, searchable, flags, attachments work fine and open in other apps by holding down if required. What is missing that people need alternatives.

There's nothing really wrong with the stock mail app, but as soon as iOS 6 gets jailbroken I'll go back to using Sparrow. An app can do something better without the alternative having something "missing"

im wondering.. when it ships, how many does does it usually take to arrive?

and i ordered mine sept 17 available in 2-3 weeks. delivers oct 11-17.
does that mean that the phone should be available oct 1-8 (adding 2-3 weeks to sept 17) then from there, oct 1-8 until oct 11-17 for shipping?

eLGee

I JUST GOT CALLED MY BABY IS HERE!

Now, onto the business. I want an extravagant case for mine because it's my first iPhone and that's how I roll.

http://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/

1086b0d682d36a7bbf43a4c75a4eb4ef.jpg

http://www.gilddesign.com/en/goods-iphone5.html

gi222s3.jpg

These are the two I am debating between. Both made from somewhat exotic materials. Gild is aircraft aluminum block, grove being a bamboo block.

Does anyone have opinions on either of these or better recommendations?

Way to fuck up Apple's beautiful design with these monstrosities. Also, I feel sorry for your pockets with the second case. Jeesh.

Husker86

Pushes instantly, searchable, flags, attachments work fine and open in other apps by holding down if required. Unified inbox including other accounts. What is missing that people need alternatives.
I find searching folders better on the Gmail app. Also I like to be able to report spam when necessary and I can't do that from the stock mail app.

What's with cases that look like this? The MGS cases Kojima posts on Twitter look like this as well. Do you have to screw the two sides together? Looks so ugly.

It's the same (japanese) company. Gild designs. Yes, you screw it together with torx screws.

Same company put this sexy as scarlett case out not too long ago for the 4/4s.

zoe01.jpg

Tobor

I find searching folders better on the Gmail app. Also I like to be able to report spam when necessary and I can't do that from the stock mail app.

I thought moving emails to the spam folder in Gmail does that? I've been doing that for years, and it's always seemed to work.

KingGondo

Banned
GAF: I just got my iPhone replaced because of an earset issue.

I backed it up before I left for the Apple Store, but after I restored my new iPhone it didn't save any of the new apps/games I downloaded, and now they're nowhere to be found.

Help!

KingGondo

Banned
Ok. I was just going to tell you to download the apps again. As long as you bought them, you can always download them again for free after deleting them.
Yeah, that was my next course of action.

Silly me, I expected it to restore my iPhone exactly as it was before. :mad:

Thankfully all my saved data is still there.

My sister in law just texted me complaining about a purple glow from her pictures that didn't use to happen with her iPhone 4. She's pretty pissed about the new camera since she takes a lot of pics of her kids. She's also the type who had been an Apple convert over the last two years. It seems like its not just an issue being made up online.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My battery life has dramatically improved since I closed all my apps. I'm not sure which one was being a energy hog, but now everything is fine. It isn't as though I'm constantly closing apps, now I just use the phone as normal. Weird!

mrkgoo

My sister in law just texted me complaining about a purple glow from her pictures that didn't use to happen with her iPhone 4. She's pretty pissed about the new camera since she takes a lot of pics of her kids. She's also the type who had been an Apple convert over the last two years. It seems like its not just an issue being made up online.

Yeah, a lot of the issues aren't just crappy Internet heresay. My Aunty text me asking me why she couldn't see people's houses from her contacts (street view).

Top Bottom