• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Always take anything Gizmodo says about Apple with a grain of salt. I never trust their site. That said, there appears to be an element of truth to it. It seems to be a bit more noticeable than the 4 and the 4S, but it's not like it always happens or flares don't happen on the 4 and 4S. It's more about the purple hue and how prevalent it is relative to other cameras. All cameras do it to a degree.

Fanboys on the Internet and tech blogs are pretty out of control in general, it's not surprising to see they would carry OS warz into real life.

Fixed that for you. Don't act like it's one sided.

jet1911

Have Apple aknowledge that there arr issues with the Wifi? I can't go in my kitchen without loosing the signal lol

Had no problems with my 3GS and with my girlfriend's 4.

Android fanboys on the Internet and tech blogs are pretty out of control in general, it's not surprising to see they would carry OS warz into real life.

Android fanboys are like the Linux fanboys of old, but empowered by a product that's actually a (consumer-oriented) success.

LCfiner

Android fanboys on the Internet and tech blogs are pretty out of control in general, it's not surprising to see they would carry OS warz into real life.

Fixed that for you. Don't act like it's one sided.

I actually agree with Vyer here - at least on the net. I've never met an obnoxious smartphone fanboy in real life (thank heavens)

On Macrumors, sure, the Apple fanboys can be nuts and loud and dumb but I find on pretty much any other tech site, the Android fanboys really are more numerous and more aggressive in letting other people know how wrong they are.

I find them more vocal and judgmental than the fans of other platforms based on the comments I occasionally read on The Verge, Engadget and Ars Technica. (and occasionally Gaf, but much less so than the comments from those other sites)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have this guy in my class who wants to let the world know how much android rules and how much apple sucks every chance he gets.
Last I heard him talk about how iOS is just a ripoff of Android and how Google created the smartphone market.

I honestly don't know how to respond to people like that. Who fucking cares dude, they are phones. I will discuss them on message boards occasionally sure, but in real life these conversations are just plain awkward.

I have this guy in my class who wants to let the world know how much android rules and how much apple sucks every chance he gets.
Last I heard him talk about how iOS is just a ripoff of Android and how Google created the smartphone market.

I honestly don't know how to respond to people like that. Who fucking cares dude, they are phones. I will discuss them on message boards occasionally sure, but in real life these conversations are just plain awkward.
He's trying to pick up chicks. Stop trying to cock block him.

I actually agree with Vyer here - at least on the net. I've never met an obnoxious smartphone fanboy in real life (thank heavens)

On Macrumors, sure, the Apple fanboys can be nuts and loud and dumb but I find on pretty much any other tech site, the Android fanboys really are more numerous and more aggressive in letting other people know how wrong they are.

I find them more vocal and judgmental than the fans of other platforms based on the comments I occasionally read on The Verge, Engadget and Ars Technica. (and occasionally Gaf, but much less so than the comments from those other sites)

I love reading Ars Technica but they definitely have a strong bias for Apple mobile products that extends back to the first iPods, and perhaps that criticism is sometimes justified (like when they devote an entire article to talk about one iOS feature)

mrkgoo

In my reality, there's an apple fanboy wherever I go ;)

JBuccCP

I've never met anyone in real life that cared that much. I probably care more than most, but I like everything so I don't bash others phones besides a few jokes.

LCfiner

I love reading Ars Technica but they definitely have a strong bias for Apple mobile products that extends back to the first iPods, and perhaps that criticism is sometimes justified (like when they devote an entire article to talk about one iOS feature)

I should be clear that I'm talking only about user comments here and not articles by staff.

Ars has a lot of articles that you may not see on other sites. some of them are in depth on a particular OS feature (Apple or otherwise) and others may be more about the industry or science in general. I'm not sure if that makes them Apple friendly or just different but, well, i don't care enough to think about it in detail.

And since John Siracusa writes for them, they always have the most insanely long and crazy Mac OS X reviews. (although these reviews are generally more critical and nit-picky than others - in a good, constructive way)

I should be clear that I'm talking only about user comments here and not articles by staff.

Ars has a lot of articles that you may not see on other sites. some of them are in depth on a particular OS feature (Apple or otherwise) and others may be more about the industry or science in general. I'm not sure if that makes them Apple friendly or just different but, well, i don't care enough to think about it in detail.

And since John Siracusa writes for them, they always have the most insanely long and crazy Mac OS X reviews. (although these reviews are generally more critical and nit-picky than others - in a good, constructive way)

I was talking about the many comments in Ars to the effect of, "can I somehow filter out all the iOS crap?" I personally enjoy how in depth they go into every iPhone feature because I always learn a lot of useful info, but I can also see how it would be annoying to someone who doesn't care about smartphones or iPhone in particular

LCfiner

I was talking about the many comments in Ars to the effect of, "can I somehow filter out all the iOS crap?" I personally enjoy how in depth they go into every iPhone feature because I always learn a lot of useful info, but I can also see how it would be annoying to someone who doesn't care about smartphones or iPhone in particular

ooooh. OK, I misunderstood.

I'm getting a lot of sound bugs and occasional crashing of apps. For example, just now my text sound got much quieter, but my ringtone was still normal volume. Only way to fix it was to power cycle the phone.

On the plus side I'm definitely getting better battery life compared to my iPhone 4.

Ashhong

As far as cases go, I highly recommend the thin TPU or 'jelly' cases apprised to the hard plastic variety. Rushing out the house the other morning I dropped my 5 down concrete steps landing face down. Not a single scratch.

This is what saved it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=1S...640_pe_vfe_dt1

Wait that's that rubbery TPU thing right? How is it clear in the pictures? But then some are white? I want that clear case that has a lip over the front screen..

I've never met anyone in real life that cared that much. I probably care more than most, but I like everything so I don't bash others phones besides a few jokes.

I used to care. I couldn't stand the Android OS. Now in the past year or so that's changed. iOS is so damn plain now. Hopefully Apple's next big move is to improve the mobile OS. Google's latest OS is so good. I would prefer not to leave the Apple ecosystem, but I'm close to doing so.

I used to care. I couldn't stand the Android OS. Now in the past year or so that's changed. iOS is so damn plain now. Hopefully Apple's next big move is to improve the mobile OS. Google's latest OS is so good. I would prefer not to leave the Apple ecosystem, but I'm close to doing so.

Your presence in this thread has made it quite clear you're not a fan of iOS devices.

Tobor

If you're waiting for some kind of massive overhaul, then you should switch.

They'll continue to iterate on this core UI for years to come. As they should.

Fuck you talking about? My iPhone 4, iPad 1, iPad 3 purchases beg to differ.

I didn't say you've never liked or used iOS devices. I just said you don't seem to be much of a fan at this point, and you basically just said so yourself moments ago.

You've spent a lot of time in the past couple pages complaining about purple flare and wifi issues that seem quite uncommon from what I've gathered.

If you're waiting for some kind of massive overhaul, then you should switch.

They'll continue to iterate on this core UI for years to come. As they should.

Agreed. iOS isn't going to see dramatic changes anytime soon. It evolves slowly, but I don't think anyone can deny that when they evolve they do so in a slick and intelligent manner.

I agree with you. iOS is stagnant. There are things I could do on Android 2.1 that I still can't do on iOS 6.

For the record I own an iPhone 5 and like it for what is is, but the only thing keeping me on iOS is the app store.

Ashhong

Regarding the purple flare, I was at a verizon store today and just moved the iphone around with the camera, and it is definitely prevalent, and I think will be very annoying for me in the future. Pretty lame. I realize it's just part of the hardware they chose, but damn. It sucks.

If I were to make a list of the things the new iPhone and iOS need, this is what I can come up with.

NFC when it is more mature and secore
Turn the home button into a color light notification button. Different colors light when a notification is received.
Widgets
Allow the device to act as a standard USB storage device.
Create a method for apps to easily interact with each other.
Allow apps to plug into Siri in some aspect
Allow Siri to do voice recognition for simple commands that require no online database searches.
Greatly enhance the function of Spotlight

jerry1594

So would anyone say Apple dropped the ball with this phone? In terms of maintaining their hardware standard, innovation and/or meeting expectations?

Turn the home button into a color light notification button. Different colors light when a notification is received.

I would do dirty things for this...

Seriously. A multi colored LED which you can set custom colors to certain people/notifications is something I sorely miss from my old Droid 2

Tobor

If I were to make a list of the things the new iPhone and iOS need, this is what I can come up with.

NFC when it is more mature and secore Obviously

Turn the home button into a color light notification button. Different colors light when a notification is received. Meh, I could take it or leave it.

Widgets Already in Notification Center

Allow the device to act as a standard USB storage device. Never going to happen

Create a method for apps to easily interact with each other. Sure

Allow apps to plug into Siri in some aspect Probably

Allow Siri to do voice recognition for simple commands that require no online database searches. I don't know what the hardware and storage requirements for this would be, but I'm willing to bet we're not there yet.

Greatly enhance the function of Spotlight They've updated it a couple of times. What is it missing?

I didn't say you've never liked or used iOS devices. I just said you don't seem to be much of a fan at this point, and you basically just said so yourself moments ago.

You've spent a lot of time in the past couple pages complaining about purple flare and wifi issues that seem quite uncommon from what I've gathered.

Agreed. iOS isn't going to see dramatic changes anytime soon. It evolves slowly, but I don't think anyone can deny that when they evolve they do so in a slick and intelligent manner.

I'm a fan of Apple hardware. I don't like seeing them not being the innovators anymore. It's semi-depressing. I've been waiting for a meaningful change to iOS for awhile, but it appears that they're fine with letting Android take the lead with that. More lame for me is that I've been waiting for a substantial upgrade to the iMacs. I'm hoping that the upcoming event brings with it new iMacs, but I get the feeling I'll be waiting another 6 months at least before I see one. My 3 year old iMac is showing its age.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So would anyone say Apple dropped the ball with this phone? In terms of maintaining their hardware standard, innovation and/or meeting expectations?
I think it's easily been their shakiest release even though AntennaGate was a bit louder.

Hardware standard definitely dropped the ball, that much is fact. Despite all the engineering wizardry and beauty of it all, scuffgate is a problem that shouldn't exist. The "y'know, things break"-ish response from Apple isn't helping, despite them reportedly increasing quality control over in China.

iOS6 is having numerous issues and causing lots of glitches, thus causing a lot of controversy too. Overall, it adds a whole lot of nothing innovative. iOS is definitely showing it's age and the overhaul is long overdue. Doesn't need to be drastic, but it has been overdue for YEARS. Instead of meaningful stuff they keep introducing fluff like new maps and Siri. Facetime was a good idea though.

I think they did fine with meeting expectations for the most part. We got what we thought we were getting, and we got a bit more in some areas (camera, battery life) and a bit less in other (aforementioned issues). It isn't the most important release or the biggest thing since the OG iPhone, but it's a goddamn new iPhone so you know it's meeting the majority of people's expectations regardless.

EDIT: IHaveCandy's list is pretty good for stuff they should have that they don't.

LCfiner

I don't get the comments about Android taking the lead unless your metrics are added complexity and really niche power user stuff.

in terms of user facing features, Google Now is the only really big thing they've done recently. Plus some good tweaks to the notification center to take actions on items from there. But that's only available on a tiny fraction of devices running 4.1. the other big thing - Project Butter - has been an effort to gain parity with a UI smoothness that iOS had 5 years ago (and WP had from launch).

Here's where I think Apple really needs to update iOS in the next year or two: Inter-app communication and document handling. the OS is very app dependant and there should be a more robust way for apps to talk to each other and share data without sacrificing security.

Similar to how we all saw how Apple's document solution with v1 of Pages/ Numbers was awful without iCloud, we can see that there needs to be an easy and powerful way for documents to be edited and shared between apps (like on a PC) but without adding a file browser app.

And if they decide to allow 3rd party widgets in NC next year, then cool, but I still don't think widgets make or break a platform or show signs of stagnation.

I know there's a big chunk of tech gaf that thinks iOS needs to be revolutionized and totally reworked to be something different but it really doesn't - it's still the lead platform for practically all relevant mobile developers and sales are still amazing. the familiarity of the home screen and the common layout of stock apps is a very good thing and shouldn't be thrown out.

that doesn't mean that I think iOS 6 was a major update - I don't. But there is no need for an overhaul in terms of home screen UI or how to interact/ launch apps. Apple's bigger challenge will be in allowing apps to be more powerful and talk to each other without burdening the OS with more complexity.

jerry1594

I think it's easily been their shakiest release even though AntennaGate was a bit louder.

Hardware standard definitely dropped the ball, that much is fact. Despite all the engineering wizardry and beauty of it all, scuffgate is a problem that shouldn't exist. The "y'know, things break"-ish response from Apple isn't helping, despite them reportedly increasing quality control over in China.

iOS6 is having numerous issues and causing lots of glitches, thus causing a lot of controversy too. Overall, it adds a whole lot of nothing innovative. iOS is definitely showing it's age and the overhaul is long overdue. Doesn't need to be drastic, but it has been overdue for YEARS. Instead of meaningful stuff they keep introducing fluff like new maps and Siri. Facetime was a good idea though.

I think they did fine with meeting expectations for the most part. We got what we thought we were getting, and we got a bit more in some areas (camera, battery life) and a bit less in other (aforementioned issues). It isn't the most important release or the biggest thing since the OG iPhone, but it's a goddamn new iPhone so you know it's meeting the majority of people's expectations regardless.

EDIT: IHaveCandy's list is pretty good for stuff they should have that they don't.

That's a huge bummer. Hopefully that news report quoting that Foxconn worker to wait til October is accurate and that shipment is better made, and future iOS updates don't suck as hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get the comments about Android taking the lead unless your metrics are added complexity and really niche power user stuff.

in terms of user facing features, Google Now is the only really big thing they've done recently. Plus some good tweaks to the notification center to take actions on items from there. But that's only available on a tiny fraction of devices running 4.1. the other big thing - Project Butter - has been an effort to gain parity with a UI smoothness that iOS had 5 years ago (and WP had from launch).

Here's where I think Apple really needs to update iOS in the next year or two: Inter-app communication and document handling. the OS is very app dependant and there should be a more robust way for apps to talk to each other and share data without sacrificing security.

Similar to how we all saw how Apple's document solution with v1 of Pages/ Numbers was awful without iCloud, we can see that there needs to be an easy and powerful way for documents to be edited and shared between apps (like on a PC) but without adding a file browser app.

And if they decide to allow 3rd party widgets in NC next year, then cool, but I still don't think widgets make or break a platform or show signs of stagnation.

I know there's a big chunk of tech gaf that thinks iOS needs to be revolutionized and totally reworked to be something different but it really doesn't - it's still the lead platform for practically all relevant mobile developers and sales are still amazing. the familiarity of the home screen and the common layout of stock apps is a very good thing and shouldn't be thrown out.

that doesn't mean that I think iOS 6 was a major update - I don't. But there is no need for an overhaul in terms of home screen UI or how to interact/ launch apps. Apple's bigger challenge will be in allowing apps to be more powerful and talk to each other without burdening the OS with more complexity.
This is a fantastic post and I agree with a lot of this.

When it comes to aesthetics, I think a refresh can be in order. Changing the way buttons look, etc. to make it look more modern. I don't think the homescreen layout will scrapped or anything, it serves it's basic functions well enough, but there is so much lockscreen and notification centre potential just being left on the table for jailbreakers to pick up on. Why SBSettings like toggles aren't built into the notification centre by default is puzzling. Apple's need for control and restraint when it comes to customization in that regard is fairly unjustified. Sometimes their strides for simplicity get in the way of further functionality.

Ashhong

[/b]

Why not? They did it on the iPods...do they have a reason for this?

edit: I don't mean to allow access like an Android, where I can drop in music and play it. I just mean simply using the extra storage as a UMS device

NFC when it is more mature and secore Obviously

Turn the home button into a color light notification button. Different colors light when a notification is received. Meh, I could take it or leave it.

Widgets Already in Notification Center

Create a method for apps to easily interact with each other. Sure

Allow apps to plug into Siri in some aspect Probably

Allow Siri to do voice recognition for simple commands that require no online database searches. I don't know what the hardware and storage requirements for this would be, but I'm willing to bet we're not there yet.

Greatly enhance the function of Spotlight They've updated it a couple of times. What is it missing?

There are only two widgets in notification center. They should allow for widget apps.

There's no reason why the iPhone cannot act as a USB device. I don't see why Apple would be afraid of this. Hell, they could make an exclusive app that makes it work if they are worried about security.

Google Now works without an internet connection.

Here's a concept for what Spotlight should be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxICuQFzBU0

I was out with a group of friends last night and a huge android fanboy was relentless.

"How are those maps?" "Aren't the galaxy commercials hilarious?" "Can you share info by touching your phone with another phone?" And other comments. I just kept shrugging my shoulders. It was weird
I had a dude come through my line with an S3 at work, I hadn't seen one IRL before so I asked about it. He tells me he's been telling all his friends getting the iPhone 5 that "they're making the biggest mistake of their lives."

Yeah, ok.

Also, the bumping phones together to share info is the stupidest fucking gimmick I've ever seen a piece of tech use. "Bump" for the iPhone has been doing it for years and it is seriously just goddamn idiotic. The commercial for the S3 that plays in theaters about sharing photos is just painful in its stupidity, I cannot believe they are bragging bout that as a flagship feature.

Can you name another cell phone that is immune to scratching?

Yup.

This is the correct answer to all the iOS complainers. I'm convinced some people want change just for the sake of change.

iOS is still by far the easiest touch interface to use, and it offers features that will appease the vast majority of people.

The hardware is as fast as they come, as is the browser. The phone is big enough, but not too big, and it's not too heavy.

I just see most complaints as nitpicking, and maybe that makes me a fanboy, but I believe I'm more reasonable than that.

How is bumping phones stupid?

Because I can easily text or email to accomplish the same thing? Do we really need to physically bump phones to do these things? Absolutely not. The commercial bragging about that is laughable, and from the reactions I've seen it seems most people agree.

The irony of that commercial is that they're making fun of Apple douches by introducing us to GalaxyS3 douches. It creates humor, but nothing more. It doesn't sell anyone on the GS3.

NFC likely has better transfer speed than messaging. I don't see how NFC is stupid. Sure, it may not be the revolutionary feature Samsung wants you to think it is, but nothing is stupid about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can you name another cell phone that is immune to scratching?
No, but I can't name many other phones or brands heralded for their hardware design that are coming scratched out the box. And enough of them to warrant an emergency elevation in quality standards at the manufacturing facilities too.

There are only two widgets in notification center. They should allow for widget apps.

There's no reason why the iPhone cannot act as a USB device. I don't see why Apple would be afraid of this. Hell, they could make an exclusive app that makes it work if they are worried about security.

Google Now works without an internet connection.

Here's a concept for what Spotlight should be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxICuQFzBU0
:O That's beautiful.

Vyer

Scuffgate is nowhere near enough to cancel out the rest of the hardware IMO. Screen, speed, overall performance powered by the hardware is pretty substantial to me.

Top Bottom