• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

The screensize armsrace is so silly, I'm glad that Apple chose a more subtle increase. For the next iPhone I'd prefer a shorter top bezel and perhaps the Home button be a touchbutton for the first time.

I'm starting to wonder if they couldn't do something awesome with the bottom bezel and touch. Like app switching and easier multiple tap things.

Agree that the screen size arms race is stupid. It's a problem that phones don't really have anything amazingly new to provide so screen size is something easy to sell.

Is there a cheap place to buy a lightning to 30 pin yet?

I need one for my car unfortunately.

Also does anyone know what the screen protection liquid that you "paint" on is called? Does it work?

knitoe

While I wish the 5 was a little bigger, there's no way I'd want it that big.

Right now I just wish my 5 worked. The App Store has decided to stop working altogether and just show a white page. Plus notifications are on strike again and only bother to notify me when they feel like it. My email to Apple wasn't much help. May need to - gasp - use this thing as an actual phone and call them.

Have you tried rebooting the phone? What about doing a restore through iTunes?

Iacobellis

The A4 was not such a big deal. It was mainly a victory in packaging and marketing for Apple.

Performance-wise, the 4 isn't much better than the 3GS, although it's true that it has to power some more pixels.

I still completely understand what you're saying though. The iPhone 4 was on a completely different league and started a new era. Just that build and screen. omg. I think it says it all when the kind of machines needed to build the iPhone 4 were machines that produced low-volume, high precision prototypes. They just had to get many of them.

With that being said though... the iPhone 5 still strikes me as remarkable in ways that the iPhone 4 wasn't.
The advance in packaging is not as big (because there wasn't much room for improving this time around), but it's still a new form factor, with better everything in the inside, while improving the physical characteristics of the thing. Thinner than the 1st and 2nd and 3rd generation iPod touch. Lighter too. Just crazy.
And the performance doubled. From an already fast phone.

New form factor and much better performance is something new in the iPhone world. Never happened before.

A6 (2x CPU and GPU)
Front HD camera
3 mics
1GB of RAM
4G LTE
Dual-band wi-fi
Full sRGB display

It's an at least comparable list.

I've still yet to see a noticeable difference between the display on the 4S and the 5. The 44% contrast increase doesn't come close to the bump from 200:1 to 800:1 we saw earlier. This is the first time since the iPhone 3G where a new phone wasn't given hardware-specific software. The 3GS had Voice Control, iPhone 4 had iMovie, and the iPhone 4S had Siri.

I've still yet to see a noticeable difference between the display on the 4S and the 5. The 44% contrast increase doesn't come close to the bump from 200:1 to 800:1 we saw earlier. This is the first time since the iPhone 3G where a new phone wasn't given hardware-specific software. The 3GS had Voice Control, iPhone 4 had iMovie, and the iPhone 4S had Siri.

Don't people usually complain when they limit a feature to only the new phone?

You would have thought/hoped that the added space on the screen would have given you something.

Don't people usually complain when they limit a feature to only the new phone?

They complain when they feel like the feature could be added but isn't for no other reason than to sell the next phone. Nobody has an issue when the feature can't be added like say LTE.

Iacobellis

You would have thought/hoped that the added space on the screen would have given you something.

They complain when they feel like the feature could be added but isn't for no other reason than to sell the next phone. Nobody has an issue when the feature can't be added like say LTE.

I'm referring to everything in the screen but the size for now.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
While I wish the 5 was a little bigger, there's no way I'd want it that big.

Right now I just wish my 5 worked. The App Store has decided to stop working altogether and just show a white page. Plus notifications are on strike again and only bother to notify me when they feel like it. My email to Apple wasn't much help. May need to - gasp - use this thing as an actual phone and call them.

Try restoring from iTunes. It will reload the whole iOS software into the phone.

I'm referring to everything in the screen but the size for now.

I think you misunderstood me. I think Apple got lazy and didn't add anything to the OS to take advantage of the larger screen. It seems like it would have been a no brainer which would have given you that new hardware specific feature but they didn't.

Iacobellis

I think you misunderstood me. I think Apple got lazy and didn't add anything to the OS to take advantage of the larger screen. It seems like it would have been a no brainer which would have given you that new hardware specific feature but they didn't.

Oh, I somewhat agree with you on that one. Only major change was a fifth row of icons, which I like. Apple likes to keep it simple and user friendly. Adding widgets and moving the Spotlight Search to home pages would be confusing to some.

Walked into my Apple store, walked out with a 16GB iPhone 5. If I'm someone who's a little uneasy about going naked, but doesn't want a case to ruin the look of the phone, what's a nice cheap bumper, or perhaps a nice looking case to get? Looking to spend less than $25.

EDIT: D'oh, just need to look at the previous page

Walked into my Apple store, walked out with a 16GB iPhone 5. If I'm someone who's a little uneasy about going naked, but doesn't want a case to ruin the look of the phone, what's a nice cheap bumper, or perhaps a nice looking case to get? Looking to spend less than $25.

EDIT: D'oh, just need to look at the previous page

Just walked in off the street and got one without reserving? If so, lucky bastard.

Just walked in off the street and got one without reserving? If so, lucky bastard.

Yep, extremely lucky. I just got my paycheck and walked in expecting to have to reserve one and wait for a few weeks, but the local Apple store said they had 16 GB models for AT&T only available, so I immediately snatched one up right then. Was really shocked, but happy of course to avoid having to wait.

Yep, extremely lucky. I just got my paycheck and walked in expecting to have to reserve one and wait for a few weeks, but the local Apple store said they had 16 GB models for AT&T only available, so I immediately snatched one up right then. Was really shocked, but happy of course to avoid having to wait.

Christ. I hate you. LOL. I keep checking the Apple site every damn night for any Verizon models here and nothing.

Tempted to just walk over to the store tomorrow and check, but expecting the same thing of "check online to see if we have it." that they give me every time.

Been on a waiting list at Best Buy since launch. If I had just ordered online I would have it already.

EDIT: Also seems that stores are getting tons of AT&T phones, but Verizon models are harder to snag.

More of an iOS 6 question, but when do new Facebook contacts appear in your contacts list after the initial synch?

I just got a few new friends and they haven't populated in my phone's contact list.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Hmmm okay. Friend of mine that has Verizon was telling me that it was free. Said he spoke with Verizon about adding a tethering plan, and they told him he didn't need to, that it was free.

There's big thread on Sprint's community site about people that switched to the iPhone 5 having issues on their network. I've had issues I never had on my EVO with 3G not working and falling back to 1X for no apparent reason. Has to be some kind of issue with the OS or with how the phone is talking to their network. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

I'm having the same issues near the house, but when I get closer to work (Houston) their LTE speeds range from 8-20mbps. Their coverage is so inconsistent and spotty right now.

jts

...hate me...
Well, the iPhone 5 has the ability to take pictures while shooting a movie, which I find particularly great.
But to tie specific software to specific hardware, unless by pure limitations, it's never a good practice and I'm glad to see it going away, as phones get plenty of processing power and other hardware capabilities, just like what happens on computers.
I remember having a 3GS jailbroken while I waited for the 4, it was just a matter of changing a plist and iMovie would install and run. Siri also runs quite well on the 4.

About the display, it's true, but the problem is that it was already so good. They really didn't need to touch that... but they pushed the boundaries anyway, which is awesome, and the same goes for the processing power. It's also the first time since the iPad that a new chip goes to the iPhone first.

I saw someone talking on a Note just a few minutes ago. I had to do a double-take. That is some N-Gage side-talking levels of ridiculous shit right there. I can appreciate a mini tablet sure but as a phone it's just absurd.

soldat7

Haha holy shit

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-vs-iPhone-5-54.jpg

And people used to make fun of me for carrying around my "brick" of a Dell Axim X51V. It was so alien to people in an era of tiny flip phones. People were almost repulsed by it.

nib95

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula

Thats a surprisingly good analogy, only unlike Toyota Apple don't recall their products when they show up major faults or flaws.

bonesquad

Thats a surprisingly good analogy, only unlike Toyota Apple don't recall their products when they show up major faults or flaws.

Way to go digging up a month old post.

Good news is it looks like a fresh restore fixed my App Store issues, but it's going to take forever for all my apps to load back. Over the past couple weeks I downloaded a ton of apps I just left. iTunes is saying it is on app 52 of 690, lol.

Mairu

Good news is it looks like a fresh restore fixed my App Store issues, but it's going to take forever for all my apps to load back. Over the past couple weeks I downloaded a ton of apps I just left. iTunes is saying it is on app 52 of 690, lol.

Didn't even notice that, nice catch.

690 apps? O_O

LCfiner

I wonder if nib spent that month workshopping that recall line.

And, to be honest, in light of those latest web usage stats, I don't even think that initial analogy of the iphone as boring and your "mom's" phone works all that well. People are buying iPhones and continuing to use the shit out of them. By most metrics (web usage, app sales, itunes movie and music sales) they are very active and engaged users - hardly bored by the device.

Bah, whatever. It just boggles my mind why some people who clearly aren't interested in the device spend time posting in the thread.

As tempting as it is to switch to Sprint and grab a 5 now that their LTE network is spreading around the Chicago area, I think I'm just going to wait a couple months to see how it is when the upgrades are closer to completion. As of now their 3G still looks to be pitiful in the area.

Tobor

I wonder if nib spent that month workshopping that recall line.

And, to be honest, in light of those latest web usage stats, I don't even think that initial analogy of the iphone as boring and your "mom's" phone works all that well. People are buying iPhones and continuing to use the shit out of them. By most metrics (web usage, app sales, itunes movie and music sales) they are very active and engaged users - hardly bored by the device.

Bah, whatever. It just boggles my mind why some people who clearly aren't interested in the device spend time posting in the thread.

I don't get it either.

Mairu

Anyone know a good car stereo that works with iPhone 5? I'll be getting a car soon
hand me down car hooray
that only has a cd drive so I'm going to replace it with something. Since they changed the connector, I'm not sure if I should wait or if car stereos with iPhone connectivity & a usb port still work fine.

Top Bottom