• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Branson

Anyone know a good car stereo that works with iPhone 5? I'll be getting a car soon
hand me down car hooray
that only has a cd drive so I'm going to replace it with something. Since they changed the connector, I'm not sure if I should wait or if car stereos with iPhone connectivity & a usb port still work fine.

My stereo has a USB port and it works with it. Just as an example this is basically what I have. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-352U

Why did the infamous 'googy pls' thread title get removed? It was funny and ironic.

edit: Nevermind, it was the iOS 6 thread that had the title. Still has it too.

noah111

Still Alive
How do I set my camera to take 16x9 shots. And please don't tell me you can't.
You can't set it to take 16:9 shots, but you could always just crop your photos using the edit button afterwards. It's pretty simple since they have a 16:9 option right there.

4.PNG

Unfortunately it crops it in landscape 16:9, so you'll have to rotate your photo first, then 16:9 crop, then rotate it back.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm not sure why I'm not getting LTE but I'm loving this phone.
The extra breathing room given by the screen is fantastic.

Very pleased.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone know a good car stereo that works with iPhone 5? I'll be getting a car soon
hand me down car hooray
that only has a cd drive so I'm going to replace it with something. Since they changed the connector, I'm not sure if I should wait or if car stereos with iPhone connectivity & a usb port still work fine.
I would advise you to get something with Bluetooth A2DP besides USB. It's awesome. Just get in the car and start streaming to your stereo. It's not taxing on the battery either. And you get handsfree for calls.

If the car you're getting already has a stereo, you can add one of these to it: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

I have the mki9100 myself since the 3GS came out, works like a treat.

Although I can see them releasing new versions soon already with the new lighting connector and maybe Bluetooth 4.0.

I wanted to throw this phone in the garbage last night. It said I had a 4G connection but I couldn't even send a text. My wife had her old phone with 3G and it worked perfectly. I tried everything to get it working but nothing.
Does anyone know the reason for this?

Eiolon

I wanted to throw this phone in the garbage last night. It said I had a 4G connection but I couldn't even send a text. My wife had her old phone with 3G and it worked perfectly. I tried everything to get it working but nothing.

On AT&T? I have a 4S and even with full signal I have that problem occassionally with AT&T.

Iacobellis

I sometimes have this issue on my 4S, especially in school. Switch Airplane Mode on and off, then try to send a message. If that doesn't work, just hard reset the phone using the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears.

Iacobellis

You can't set it to take 16:9 shots, but you could always just crop your photos using the edit button afterwards. It's pretty simple since they have a 16:9 option right there.

4.PNG

Unfortunately it crops it in landscape 16:9, so you'll have to rotate your photo first, then 16:9 crop, then rotate it back.

Is this new to iOS 6? I don't remember being able to pick different sizes, it was all up to you to crop it yourself.

4.PNG

Nice... well that's better than nothing. I just wish I could take all my photos in 16X9. The only time I ever show off my pictures is on a computer monitor or the TV, both of which are 16X9.

On AT&T? I have a 4S and even with full signal I have that problem occassionally with AT&T.
Yeah. AT&T. I tried turning the phone off and on and the airplane mode but nothing helped.

I sometimes have this issue on my 4S, especially in school. Switch Airplane Mode on and off, then try to send a message. If that doesn't work, just hard reset the phone using the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears.
I'll try the hard reset next time I guess.

I would advise you to get something with Bluetooth A2DP besides USB. It's awesome. Just get in the car and start streaming to your stereo. It's not taxing on the battery either. And you get handsfree for calls.

If the car you're getting already has a stereo, you can add one of these to it: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

I have the mki9100 myself since the 3GS came out, works like a treat.

Although I can see them releasing new versions soon already with the new lighting connector and maybe Bluetooth 4.0.

The problem with Bluetooth is the control and interface is much more limited than USB.

Iacobellis

In addition to my post about the iPhone 4, I personally think iOS 4 was the biggest update we have seen next to iPhone OS 2.0. Multitasking, wallpapers, folders, etc.

Notifications and a new Maps app haven't taken the spot, yet.

jts

...hate me...
The problem with Bluetooth is the control and interface is much more limited than USB.
True, but it can still play/pause, rewind/back, FF/next. Maybe a bt 4.0 version could control more stuff? IDK

But anyways, I'm still stuck with a 4 until my 5 arrives, but I guess that with Siri it must be bliss. Especially because the parrot kit lets me replace their voice control with the iPhone's, so putting whatever song, artist, playlist, etc is just one button press away, and I don't even have to touch the iPhone. I almost think that for that reason alone I should have gotten a 4S when it came out.

The wait will be so worth it.

JayDub

Has anyone confirmed that the BT 4.0 on the i5 has the Text to Car feature? I know on the original presentation, MAP support was on the board, but Im not sure if this works yet.

Mairu

True, but it can still play/pause, rewind/back, FF/next. Maybe a bt 4.0 version could control more stuff? IDK

But anyways, I'm still stuck with a 4 until my 5 arrives, but I guess that with Siri it must be bliss. Especially because the parrot kit lets me replace their voice control with the iPhone's, so putting whatever song, artist, playlist, etc is just one button press away, and I don't even have to touch the iPhone. I almost think that for that reason alone I should have gotten a 4S when it came out.

Looks like more than I want to spend right now ;o

Tobor

Yep. I love Bluetooth. I choose a playlist or podcast on the phone, and do the rest using the stereo controls.

Yep. I love Bluetooth. I choose a playlist or podcast on the phone, and do the rest using the stereo controls.

I usually love it too but there are times where that doesn't work out because trying to do something on your phone is not only dangerous but also illegal. That's why I still like the USB interface that allows me to navigate through my music and podcasts on the phone without needing to pick it up to fiddle with it.

Vyer

You can use Siri with Bluetooth to play music and playlists as well as send and respond to texts using Bluetooth. At least, with the Sync system. Thankfully it cuts down the need for me to fiddle with the phone to generally just a home button push.

You can use Siri with Bluetooth to play music and playlists as well as send and respond to texts using Bluetooth. At least, with the Sync system. Thankfully it cuts down the need for me to fiddle with the phone to generally just a home button push.

This is true. Siri can minimize some of the interface, but not all depending on what you're doing. Like you can open Pandora, but you wouldn't be able to select a station. You could launch Instacast, but you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Granted, it's not that different with a USB interface, but just saying Siri only gets you so far. More cars need to support Bluetooth controls that interface into Siri instead of their own system too. It's just unfortunate that car interfaces and tech is so far behind everything else. One of these days it'll get there but it sorta sucks right now. Unfortunately if you get caught hitting your home button, you get busted too. Touching a phone while driving is illegal in a lot of places.

Guri

So, my brother is going to the US on a Black Friday. I have an iPHone 3GS and I'm thinking of buying another phone, but I don't know yet which one. You see, I like to have one that I can use in a long time.

Is iPhone 5 worth it?

mr2xxx

Banned
So, my brother is going to the US on a Black Friday. I have an iPHone 3GS and I'm thinking of buying another phone, but I don't know yet which one. You see, I like to have one that I can use in a long time.

Is iPhone 5 worth it?

It's a great phone but there wouldn't be any discount on Black Friday. Also since you don''t live in the US would LTE work in your area?

Guri

It's a great phone but there wouldn't be any discount on Black Friday. Also since you don''t live in the US would LTE work in your area?

Not really. But it would be equivalent of almost 1000 dollars to buy it here. 4G is still in baby steps. 3G+ is our max now.

Tab0203

I've been using a scuff-free black version since day one and wideband audio is one of the best new features. Much better than expected.

Flyover is pure entertainment as it is now, but it's pretty amazing. Not quite the 10 cm resolution Saab promises, if this is in fact the technology Apple uses, but there might be limitations in terms of what is possible to render at this point.

Saab Rapid 3D Mapping

Pressing a bookmark in flyover mode triggers that 360 flight we've seen in demos. I love circling around interesting buildings and places zooming in closer and closer by saving 2 or 3 bookmarks at different heights. It's a little tricky to get it to work (it will only save at certain heights), but it's worth it.

I hope they add more features in the future. Changing angles, google earth-like tours, better performance/rendering, and maybe a mode that let's me slowly fly over cities in a straight line. Imagine the improvements in a few years. It runs more smoothly on an iPhone 5 for obvious reasons, but it looks so good on the new iPad.

Flyover running on iPad 3 filmed with an iPhone 5:

Apple Maps Flyover - Compilation

Apple Maps Flyover - Alcatraz, Transamerica Pyramid

Aiii

So not worth it
A couple of pics from display models, and how worn down they have become

Remember when the DS came out and they put demopods in stores everywhere.

Some of those touchscreens lasted maybe a day. People just suck handling items when it's not theirs.

mrkgoo

A couple of pics from display models, and how worn down they have become
I don't think display models are quite thefair conparisonto owning your own.

I mean all display models get treated like crap beyond normal use. For example, I play the crap out of my handelds yet they never look like the forsaken versions on display.

Huge gouges on the screen, crusty sweaty joysticks etc. What about control pads on demo units? Do they wear the dame as your ones at home?

KillGore

Do any phones take photos at 16:9?? seems like it should be the standard.

Tomorrow I'll be going to Sprint to pick up a new phone, it's between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy Nexus so we'll see.

giga

Do any phones take photos at 16:9?? seems like it should be the standard.

Tomorrow I'll be going to Sprint to pick up a new phone, it's between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy Nexus so we'll see.
Because 16:9 crops too much of a sensor's vertical pixels, imo. Regular cameras are usually 4:3 and dslrs 3:2. I prefer 3:2 since it's a nice compromise between the two.

1iNx+

Iacobellis

Oh really??? but you mean it'll get announced this month right? is it possible for a phone to be released in a month or two after it's announced? or will it be a 2013 release?

Announcement is supposed to be this month, release for November most likely. Sprint might get it this year.

Tabris

So it's been a month and looks like there's no third party alarm clock/speaker docks/charging docks coming out for iPhone5.

I've read several articles where with air play and bluetooth so prevalent, people no longer need docks. I agree with this except for it's extremely annoying using my iPhone as an alarm clock when it's not docked. I've almost ripped my lightning cable twice grabbing my phone to turn off the alarm when i wake up. When I want to check the time, I have to pick up the phone instead of just pressing the top when docked.

Top Bottom